Anti-Corruption Probe Uncovers Phuket Land Deals' Dirty History

webfact

Anti-corruption probe uncovers Phuket land deals' dirty history

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12552hADxaJVZfHFtLNEMZaXBnEjfUQ.jpg

Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment Permanent Secretary Chote Trachu (left) and Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission secretary-general Pol Col Dusadee Arayawuth are spearheading the investigation into illegal land titles in Phuket. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: -- A probe into the issuance of land title deeds in Phuket has uncovered widespread encroachment into protected forest areas and identified government officials as playing the key role in facilitating the theft of state property.

Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission secretary-general Pol Col Dusadee Arayawuth, in Phuket as part of the investigation, yesterday told the press his office had identified "hundreds of rai" of land valued at billions of baht that fell into private hands through collusion with government officials.

Joining Col Dusadee in his Phuket investigation was Chote Trachu, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.

Among the land plots identified were two parcels totaling 15 rai in the Nakalay area in Kamala, just north of the Patong border. Both plots had been issued Chanote titles upgraded from SorKor 1 papers, which are issued by the government to confirm a holder's claim of having occupied the land.

However, after inspection the Chanote titles were found to have been issued based on SorKor 1 representing a different or smaller plot. The method of deceit is commonly known by Thais as the “Flying SorKor 1” ruse, explained Col Dusadee.

“The 15 rai was sold for 200 million baht. On the SorKor 1, the northern boundary of the plot was next to a field, but in reality it is next to a large hill,” he said.

That irregularity prompted further investigation to check all the boundaries of the plot and compare them with the SorKor 1. “None of the property boundaries in reality matched the description on the SorKor 1,” Col Dusadee said.

Two other plots at Nakalay – of 8 rai and 19 rai – were issued Chanote titles in 1994.

“The land is worth 200 million baht. If a resort were built there, it would be worth a billion baht,” said Col Dusadee.

Any upgrading of titles must have been approved by the Kathu District Chief, an official of the Kathu Land Office and an officer at the Department of Forestry Phuket Office at the time, he explained.

“We are still investigating the people involved,” he said. “If we find that any of these officials have been involved in illegally issuing land titles, we will press criminal charges against them.”

Of particular interest to the investigators were Chanote titles issued for 45 rai in a “Class C” protected forest in the Kamala Hills, near the Kathu Waterfall.

Two Chanote titles covering a total of 15 rai were issued in the name of a former deputy governor of Phuket, said Col Dusadee.

However, he did not elaborate in which year these deeds were issued or identify which “former deputy governor” took possession.

Another case of particular interest involved a daughter of a former permanent secretary of the Ministry of Interior who applied for Chanote titles for 18 plots covering a total of 200 rai in the same protected forest.

“A resort is currently being built on the site. At the entrance to the site, there is a sign saying [in Thai] ‘Phuket Vice Governor Residence’,” he said.

The illegal issuance of land titles has been rife in Phang Nga as well as Phuket, Col Dusadee said.

Land leased to foreigners by Thais who had no legal right to it was a growing problem fueled by spiraling property prices, he added.

Despite the severity of the charges, Permanent Secretary Chote Trachu made no mention to the press of what action his ministry would take in reclaiming the encroached land.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12552.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-10

I'm not surprised. Close by where I am there is an illegal condo development on the beach and someone I know is fighting it, He;s been threatened, taken to court, jailed, and frankly I'm surprised nothing more has happened to him.

The question asks, who signed off on these land deeds to make illegal beachfront land legal? Answer, an ex Phuket governor that has been in the news that took a HUGE backhander.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope this probe leads to reclaiming of the encroached land and full enforcement of the law for everyone involved.

It seems to be a good thing that the present government has no ties to the people involved.

Edited by stevenl

The entire city of Phuket is corrupt with their street gangs, scammers and Jet Ski black mailers...

Thanks for this constructive post. Never heard of any jet ski's in Phuket City BTW.

• Like 1

Could it be slowly ... very slowly, painfully slowly that Thailand is trying to change some of the we constantly complain about?

Not because we complain, but because the Thai people realise that it's not in their best interest.

Yep, I know 100's of posters out there are ready to flame me and each could provide an example of endemic corruption in place.

But maybe the direction for change is here.

In the past I am sure that this case never would have seen daylight ... now it has.

The hotel which was built in Bangkok illegally because the Soi was fractionally to narrow, that case is now seeing the light of day.

Those resorts which were built on National Parks and State Forests lands are coming down or being challenged in Court.

Sure, those associated with the Government colour of the day and with good connections will find favour and be advantaged. In the future, key witnesses will still disappear, tourists will keep falling off baloneys in Pattaya in suicide attempts.

But slowly ... ever so slowly, the younger Thai's may change this countries direction.

David48 cowboy.gif

Edited by David48

Could it be slowly ... very slowly, painfully slowly that Thailand is trying to change some of the we constantly complain about?

Not because we complain, but because the Thai people realise that it's not in their best interest.

Yep, I know 100's of posters out there are ready to flame me and each could provide an example of endemic corruption in place.

But maybe the direction for change is here.

In the past I am sure that this case never would have seen daylight ... now it has.

The hotel which was built in Bangkok illegally because the Soi was fractionally to narrow, that case is now seeing the light of day.

Those resorts which were built on National Parks and State Forests lands are coming down or being challenged in Court.

Sure, those associated with the Government colour of the day and with good connections will find favour and be advantaged. In the future, key witnesses will still disappear, tourists will keep falling off baloneys in Pattaya in suicide attempts.

But slowly ... ever so slowly, the younger Thai's may change this countries direction.

David48 cowboy.gif

This is pretty much what I have been saying ' The day will come when the younger Thai's will hopefully take back what has been takeng from them. By that I mean that in some cases 1/2 Thai children who weren't allowed Thai birth certificates because the doctor said they are farrang so they can't do anything in life just like they have treated the hill tribe people. Then all the reshuffels that take place only for the same people to rip off the Thai's again and again and again.

One of these days all the half breed children will most likely take out the curruption and I really hope they go back in time and take money away from those people who are currupt and give it back to Thailand. You see so many very young Teens driving around in 20million baht cars it sickens me...because we know that they are from a currupt family. I hope I live long enough to see this happen. The indjustice is to much it will be funny for them to take form the wealthy spoiled and give to the honest hard working through different means ....like decent schools. I myself will start protesting my government not to give anymore funds to Thailand until they improve the school system so that all Thai's get the same opportunity for education. Just to prove how childish some officials are....when the children we offered I-pads.....these spoiled children or officials decided they should get them too. It really was a jealousy thing....most people wouldn't know this and less you have delt with some of these officials up close and personal...I know most people would argue that it is about the money...and I would agree that plays into it...but it came up because they didn't get computers and the poor children did...so this offfical concockted a way to get what he wants and even more by adding on to the costs...

Edited by oops

Wondering if there have been any cases of people buying/leasing long term in good faith, only to discover later that there have been irregularities, and the land could be taken away from them. Wouldn't tend to classify as "naive" somebody who thinks his deal is properly secured after having bought/leased long term, and the sale having been properly registered at the Land Department and on the land paper. Sure, somebody "in the know" now would first exert due dilligence.

Edited by keestha