Applying For A Work Permit

That is about Permanent residency, not getting Thai nationality.

But in both cases it is difficult and the main criteria is if you are an asset to Thai society. That you must show by working and paying taxes, the more the better.

Think you may need a reality check!

" I would possibly like to do some labouring for a local builders."

How much do you think building labourers get paid in Thailand?

Same goes for most other occupations.

Ginkas,

I think you need to keep your opions to yourself! I would the labouring for free, not everything is about money.

But the fact remains you need a work permit even if a volunteer worker (unpaid). A proper NGO can arrange such but your post was not clear you were talking about such volunteer work.

Think you may need a reality check!

" I would possibly like to do some labouring for a local builders."

How much do you think building labourers get paid in Thailand?

Same goes for most other occupations.

Ginkas,

I think you need to keep your opions to yourself! I would the labouring for free, not everything is about money.

But the fact remains you need a work permit even if a volunteer worker (unpaid). A proper NGO can arrange such but your post was not clear you were talking about such volunteer work.

Lopburi,

Thanks for your replies, youve been very helpfuljap.gif

Unfortunately not quite what I was hoping for, but as you stated the facts remain the same. Me and my family will just have to see how things go, if we run out of money a few years down the line I will just have to support them from the UK.

It seems that the only thing open to me would be to teach, but I am not qualified so this is also not an option and I dont have a degree of any sort, only 18 years experience in Comms Cabling/Fibre Optics/Site Foreman.

I would definately be interested in volunteer work, so forgive me but what is a NGO?

Regards Lee

But in both cases it is difficult and the main criteria is if you are an asset to Thai society. That you must show by working and paying taxes, the more the better.

Mario,

I understand your point, but even if Im not working and by the sounds of things I wont be, I still will qualify to apply for a Residents Permit based on my circumstances, once I have completed 3 years of extensions and am married to a Thai and the fact that my children where born in Thailand, so your post could be taken as misleading.

Regards Lee

Mario,

I understand your point, but even if Im not working and by the sounds of things I wont be, I still will qualify to apply for a Residents Permit based on my circumstances, once I have completed 3 years of extensions and am married to a Thai and the fact that my children where born in Thailand, so your post could be taken as misleading.

Regards Lee

Which you won't get without having paid Thai tax for 3 years on what they deem to be a suitable salary.

Mario,

Regards Lee

Which you won't get without having paid Thai tax for 3 years on what they deem to be a suitable salary.

dosent state that in the following

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/quota_detail_en.pdf

One flame removed.

PR application and approval requirements are not one and the same. But suspect they will tell you to not even apply without the income from employment unless you are very, very important. Actually it seems citizenship may be a more reasonable option (and certainly more attractive) for those married now as it does not require PR as it did in the past.

dosent state that in the following

http://www.immigrati...a_detail_en.pdf

4.2 of that link you showed, clearly states that income is taken into account. How that manifests itself, depends on the criteria which is used, and which is available from the PR people. They will tell you quite clearly what you will need apply successfully.

Check out this link from those who have done it:

Under "Preparation and Documents" note the lines:

Many of the 20 documents listed are related to your employer, work and tax record for the previous 3 years and must have been signed (or issued) within 3 months of making your application.

As Lop said, the citizenship route is also available for those married to Thai citizens, but I believe that this requires you to also have had a minimum income of 40,000 baht/month and again, have 3 years of tax payments, amongst other things.