Applying For A Work Permit

coffee1.gif It goes the other way.

First you find the job, then based on that, you submit a lot of documents based on that job.

That gets you the extension to stay in Thailand based on employment, and that gets you the work permit.

At a minimum. your first task is to get that job offer or contract and a letter from your employer verifying that fact.

That starts the process.

licklips.gif

Poster mentions a non immigrant O visa entry so there may be other avenues for extension of stay than employment and you do not need any extension of stay to obtain a work permit. Agree getting job that will support a work permit is step one.

Thanks for the replies,

I am expecting to go down the route of an extension based on marriage, but I would like to make some income during this time rather than just use my savings, we are thinking firstly of making a internet shop from our house, private tuition for computer lessons and teaching basic English work on my rubber farms and I would possibly like to do some labouring for a local builders.

This is the reason I am asking for info regarding a work permit. Any further Input would be great.

Thanks Lee

You must find a job that will support issue of a work permit and most of what you have mentioned would not qualify. Working for yourself would require a 2 million baht company (although not all in cash) set up and for work permit issue believe at least 4 Thai on payroll and even then job description would have to fit as most manual labor type jobs can not be done. Each work permit is specific for the job and location.

You must find a job that will support issue of a work permit and most of what you have mentioned would not qualify. Working for yourself would require a 2 million baht company (although not all in cash) set up and for work permit issue believe at least 4 Thai on payroll and even then job description would have to fit as most manual labor type jobs can not be done. Each work permit is specific for the job and location.

So are you saying, On a Non O visa I am not allowed to Work?

If he is married to a Thai lady, two Thai employees will be enough. Those are the official rules, however even those two Thai employees are not always required, depending on the officer handling your application, for new companies they can let this slide for the first few years...

You can not work without a work permit. Who told you that? You may or may not be able to obtain a work permit from a non immigrant O visa (some office will issue and some will not) but you can not work without that work permit and that is tied to a specific job.

You can not work without a work permit. Who told you that? You may or may not be able to obtain a work permit from a non immigrant O visa (some office will issue and some will not) but you can not work without that work permit and that is tied to a specific job.

Sounds Strange,

so if I extend my visa for the next 3-5 years, Im not allowed to work on the farm or from home, strange law, my wife came to England and is allowed to work on a spouse visa, this dosent quite add up, Sounds like I will just have to work without pay.

Lee

Dont know who told you this, it is true you can work on a non-O, but you must also have a work permit to do any type of work, does not matter if you are getting paid or not. Also, wanting to work in construction is prohibited work.

it does not matter what your wife can or cant not do in the UK, this is Thailand with different rules. Ex-pats are prohibited from doing many types of jobs. Farming, construction work are on the list. For teaching you can do this, but there must be a company that can hire you and to provide the work permit. As stated the company need to have registered capital of minimum 2 million baht and have 4 Thai employees. I don't know where mjnaus got the info on only needing 2 never heard of this. i have owned and operated two companies here in Thailand and have always had to have minimum 4 employees. Yes, they will let you slide for a little while on the employees when first starting, but not to the extent of 2 years, 6 months but don't expect that to be any longer.

Please do your home work on this and check with ministry of labor about the rules for work permit, don't take what I'm telling you and what anyone else tells you to be the 100% truth. The consequences for working without a work permit is fines and jail time and possible deportation. your wife and other Thai's may tell you this is their country they know what is needed, again don't listen and find out for yourself, many Thais believe they know when they don't. Just trying to give you helpful advise.

I do like the idea of the computer shop they always look busy, but there are regulations on this to as for the hours being open and students etc. So again please make sure you know everything yourself and don't rely on others to provide the information. The Thai saying " mai pen rai" does not work when the govt is looking to crack down on things. Be careful with the farming, you get someone upset with you and they report you are doing farming work does not matter if it's in your wife's name or not, you will have problems.

Good Luck to you!!!

Dont know who told you this, it is true you can work on a non-O, but you must also have a work permit to do any type of work, does not matter if you are getting paid or not. Also, wanting to work in construction is prohibited work.

it does not matter what your wife can or cant not do in the UK, this is Thailand with different rules. Ex-pats are prohibited from doing many types of jobs. Farming, construction work are on the list. For teaching you can do this, but there must be a company that can hire you and to provide the work permit. As stated the company need to have registered capital of minimum 2 million baht and have 4 Thai employees. I don't know where mjnaus got the info on only needing 2 never heard of this. i have owned and operated two companies here in Thailand and have always had to have minimum 4 employees. Yes, they will let you slide for a little while on the employees when first starting, but not to the extent of 2 years, 6 months but don't expect that to be any longer.

Please do your home work on this and check with ministry of labor about the rules for work permit, don't take what I'm telling you and what anyone else tells you to be the 100% truth. The consequences for working without a work permit is fines and jail time and possible deportation. your wife and other Thai's may tell you this is their country they know what is needed, again don't listen and find out for yourself, many Thais believe they know when they don't. Just trying to give you helpful advise.

I do like the idea of the computer shop they always look busy, but there are regulations on this to as for the hours being open and students etc. So again please make sure you know everything yourself and don't rely on others to provide the information. The Thai saying " mai pen rai" does not work when the govt is looking to crack down on things. Be careful with the farming, you get someone upset with you and they report you are doing farming work does not matter if it's in your wife's name or not, you will have problems.

Good Luck to you!!!

Thanks for the heads up,

this is the reason why I posted, as I am suspicios of people in the village getting jealous, so I need to know what I can and cant do according to the rules of my visa.

Sounds like I'll be a house husband until I become a citizen, Im sure I will be able to go and hunt frogs at night as I need to eat, surely they cant prohibit this, LOL.

Still cannot get my head round, not being allowed to get a job, this is ridicules, the fact that I am the man of the house I have two children to feed and a wife to keep happy and according to the rules of the visa I am the supporting person, sorry but this is an unenlightened rule and out and out stupidity. I will definatley be getting legal advice regarding this (watch this space).

Regards Lee

Of course you can work - but you must do so with a work permit and according to the laws of Thailand - just as would be the case in any other country of the world. There are thousands of foreign husbands supporting there families here and doing so legally. It may not always be an easy path; but the path is there.

Sounds like I'll be a house husband until I become a citizen,

I assume you mean Thai citizen? Unless you are born to a Thai mother or father (in which case you are already Thai), don't get your hope up for becoming a Thai citizen without a history of working and paying taxes in Thailand.

Sophon

Think you may need a reality check!

" I would possibly like to do some labouring for a local builders."

How much do you think building labourers get paid in Thailand?

Same goes for most other occupations.

Ginkas,

I think you need to keep your opions to yourself! I would the labouring for free, not everything is about money.

Ginkas,

I think you need to keep your opions to yourself! I would the labouring for free, not everything is about money.

Opinions

Of course you can work - but you must do so with a work permit and according to the laws of Thailand - just as would be the case in any other country of the world. There are thousands of foreign husbands supporting there families here and doing so legally. It may not always be an easy path; but the path is there.

A foreign person in the UK on a spouse visa(such as my wife) can get a job in any profession without a work permit, her visa allows her to work regardless of what job. If I get a job in Thailand it would be to do farming, but as you explained previously this occupation would not qualify for a work permit

I assume you mean Thai citizen? Unless you are born to a Thai mother or father (in which case you are already Thai), don't get your hope up for becoming a Thai citizen without a history of working and paying taxes in Thailand.

Sophon

Only time will tell. I wont be discouraged and there are always loop holes.

What I realy do not understand, that you are talking about what a Thai can do in the UK, and that you can not do the same here in Thailand, this is Thailand, not the UK, and Thailand has his own rules and laws

If you read this topic from the top, then you might understand

I have seen the list of approved professions for foreigners in Thai,most require degree,higher qualificaations etc and perform things they cannot do like EFL,Stump up 10 million for foreign co or 2 million to work in your yard.

I always point this out to my wife as why I cannot do the washing up.

Seriously it can be done but they dont want need allow labourers etc.

To be legal you need to pay tax and pay acertailevel and your 4 Thai employees so perhaps an added value farm product there are many foreigners who have co-operated in rubber palm oil etc,I am not a farmer so no idea of the economics,don't expect to get rich.You willhave all theexpat on costs over and above the locals who seldom pay big tax either too rich or too poor

I think its was on a BOI or here or immigration website if you cannot find list from members here google or pm.

I understand your frustration its not alevel playing field its not UK Siam rules KO?

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Sophon

maybe you should look at the following link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/300.0.html