Phnom Phen 4 Days To Get A Visa Issued

The problem is Penang Consulate has a bad reputation for finding reasons not to issue visas over the last several years (earlier it was a favorite). You must make application in morning so a noon arrival is useless.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so why you continue to fly Air Asia? Nothing worse than that. Nothing less flexible than this company. Close to a scam! Never ever anymore.

I rather pay 1,000 THB more and fly Bangkok Airways (with much greater flexibilty) than this stingy crooked organisation, which is only out for your money...

i had a airasia flight last 29 sept return on 8 march ( yes i am a tourist giggle.gif ) .....for 2540 bht .... but made long before when offer is advertised , i enjoyed PP and took 5$ bus to Sihanoukville witch i like as a break on " Factory-Pattaya"

if you take care by booking online you can fly cheap & good wai.gif

PS take care Pattaya bus from Suvarnhabumi is quick booked full , latest i could not on 19 &20 clock bus , waited for the 21 clock one angry.png

Edited by david555

Maybe visit. Bar Le Cyrcee in PP, very "attentive"wink.png , hostesses, not far from Walkabout, Heart of Darkness and Flamingos Hotel.

You haven't been there in a while, have you?

Autumn 2010? Maybe PM me, if there are radical changes, so I do not speak, write wrong in the future.

I wonder why nobody seems interested in Penang, Malaysia. For 1500 Bt you take the first class overnight sleeper express around 1500 in the afternoon, and arrive in Butterworth before noon. A quick hop on the ferry across to Penang where you will find the consulate office, you are there around 1400. Drop off the passport and head for a hotel. If your visa is ready by 1100, you will have time to catch the return trip at 1345 and arrive back at BKK at 1000 next morning.

Now, I have not done this yet. I am looking at the schedule, so feel free to criticize if you have experience on this trip.

Arrive in Butterworth before noon? The trip takes 26 hours.. so you're there at 4.

Visa applications are made in the morning. 9-12.

They don't do tourist visas either. So if your Imm B or O is refused, you're stuffed.

Saying that, I went there to get Imm B last year. Straight in and up to the counter, no queue. Same the next day for the pick up. The place is deserted!!

Fly air asia. Go there on Sunday afternoon/evening, drop papers next morning. Drink guinness for 24 hours then get taxi to airport the next morning, picking visa up on the way.

Eat Mcdonalds at the airport.

Edited by justaphase

It's normal for that request to show a minimum amount.The honorary Thai consulate in Miami has needed that since at least 2008 to issue a visa.

That's tough. The official requirement listed on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is "Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)". If the embassy is satisfied with this and if he has a way (ATM or credit card) of withdrawing this amount or its equivalent in another currency, eg US dollars, at a bank, he could do that.

I guess he'll be depending on others or be struggling for the remainder of the 21st century.

That would be reason enough for me to become computer literate if it affected my life to that degree.

He has no knowledge of using computers

Edited by LTGTR
  • Like 1

What a shame Thai crooks in gov't have stretched their long arms OUTSIDE the country now.

My friend went to the Embassy this morning with more than 20,000B in his pocket, the answer was still no, now they want confirmation of hotel where he is staying in BKK.

The guy at the front says he can fix it.

Many reports by members have given the impression that the Thai consulate in Phom Penh prefers to deal with an agent, a "guy at the front". I think it is worth a try for your friend.

This was my experience a month ago with my wife's visa. Gave it to the guy 'out front' (security shack) late on a Tuesday, and got it back late Thursday - $60 total ($20 for the 'service' and $40 for the single-entry tourist visa). My guess is that it is a very profitable enterprise, and a good chunk gets kicked upstairs, so they provide various dis-incentives to go through the normal channel. The guy said they were making it harder to apply inside, and that, under the best scenario, it would take four days.

Interestingly, they will not do double-entry tourist visas at all, so they must be under some official pressure to limit them, or just figure it's "lather, rinse, repeat", doubling their revenue.

Personally, I have had enough of this. Time to move on...

I wonder why nobody seems interested in Penang, Malaysia. For 1500 Bt you take the first class overnight sleeper express around 1500 in the afternoon, and arrive in Butterworth before noon. A quick hop on the ferry across to Penang where you will find the consulate office, you are there around 1400. Drop off the passport and head for a hotel. If your visa is ready by 1100, you will have time to catch the return trip at 1345 and arrive back at BKK at 1000 next morning.

Now, I have not done this yet. I am looking at the schedule, so feel free to criticize if you have experience on this trip.

Arrive in Butterworth before noon? The trip takes 26 hours.. so you're there at 4.

Visa applications are made in the morning. 9-12.

They don't do tourist visas either. So if your Imm B or O is refused, you're stuffed.

Saying that, I went there to get Imm B last year. Straight in and up to the counter, no queue. Same the next day for the pick up. The place is deserted!!

Fly air asia. Go there on Sunday afternoon/evening, drop papers next morning. Drink guinness for 24 hours then get taxi to airport the next morning, picking visa up on the way.

Eat Mcdonalds at the airport.

Train 36 departs Bangkok at 14.45 and arrives Butterworth next day at 11.56.

Penang do Tourist Visa if you meet their criteria... which is mainly that you do not have repeat visas.

Go to Vientiane. They still issue double entry visas. Takes two days, and I'd rather spend two days there than in Phnom Penh.

But not me... Phnom Penh is an exciting city compared to the rural village of Vientiane with super-crooked police refusing to issue a fine-document and pocketting the money. Not that I pretend that Cambodian police is in any way better.... but at least they keep on smiling asking your 3 US$ for overspeed...

Lao police are lovely! Never had any problems with them, always let me through with no helmet, no ID, no license, and one time even drunk!! On the other hand, in PP, whenever seen by a police, I was always stopped and "fined" for being white, wearing a helmet, and keeping the rules.

A Hotel booking-reservation will not be a problem. Somebody should make it or him, if he does not know much from the Internet and can send it than to his or somebodys Internet Adress. Adress from the guy in an Internet coffee shop. Whatever.

Just a confirmation of a booking, no money to spend.

I had the same problem in the ambassy of China in BKK,they needed return tickets ,hotel reservation (paid) and had to prove with bankbooks that i had money !(they wanted traveller checks but i did not have it .) It took 3 days in BKK ,had to pay extra to change flight date,and 3 days in hotel .............

A good advise : never write on the application that you are retired !Then you have to prove a lot of money !

• Like 1

Thank godness I'm married my 'O' Visa's are easy...

But it does amaze me how the Thai's make it harder and harder for people to be in their country... Luckily we can fall back to Englnd if things get so bad here.

My wife agrees Foreigners are treated like dirt by the authorities...

• Like 1

O Visa in PP (yearly Multiple) have been on a 5 days (Mon-Fri) wait for over 2 years now; I can not say about tourist visa though.

Agencies (What you call facilitator is the courier from in town travel agencies) depending on their reputation might be able to reduce the wait to 48 hours but would cost around 100 USD on top of the standard 175 USD Visa Fee.

In Phnom Phen they are doing difficult now ,as they told me there is a new boss over there recently , so new rules , They want bankstatement and kontrakt where you stay or Hotel reservation , if you order the visa yourself or use any office is exactly the same . I been going to Phnom phen for a longtime , because it is really good now there and it is good for a change of location for some time , as Thailand is also nice to be . Sometime i fly back but most of the time i use Taxi from phnom phen to border , 60usd max , so if you go by 2 person each 30 \usd . then in Thailand use minibus to Bangkok or Pattaya . If you see Air Asia the charge more then before . if you see the tickets from Vietnam SGN are much cheaper and further away ? Waitng time Ppnom phen 3 -4days visa , most of the time 4 days , faster pay more .

As this embassy is used for apply Visa for cambodians . If tourist need visa need bring all paper work there for sure . I will bring a proof of monthly income now also , then it should be no problem . They just not want accept all now , as before

So basically unless you get there on a Monday or Tuesday morning, you have to spend 6 days there (4 working days plus the weekend)??

Does their inability to do double entries still apply (perhaps you can ask Mr Keo if this is still the case)?

Seems PP are either trying to boost their "tourist" revenues (unlikely they'd get enough from Thailand visa runners to justify the hassle) or they're doing their best to become non-viable. Perhaps it's somebody else's turn to be the "easy" visa run destination for a month or three...

PAY THE MONEY TO THE WOMAN OR MAN THAT WORK THERE!!! that's what I did!

i pleaded with them to do it in 1 day and I also asked for double entry... and of course I offered to pay her money for doing it.

the embassy lady who dealt with my application said she can do it... it was $20 for the fast track service.. and $5 for allowing me to have a double entry (plus the visa-fees, of course). and it was all fine.

- WAIVER: i of course can not guarantee that the same happens for you! and perhaps they have cracked-down on the illegal behaviour of the staff that work there, (but I hope not).

but I DEFINITELY say that VIENTIANE is by far the best and easiest way to do it. (and if you are in a hurry you can make use of the guys on the desks outside the embassy who will do a SAME DAY service and/or the entire application process on your behalf for a moderate/hefty fee)

That's tough. The official requirement listed on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is "Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)". If the embassy is satisfied with this and if he has a way (ATM or credit card) of withdrawing this amount or its equivalent in another currency, eg US dollars, at a bank, he could do that.

In Cambodia you withdraw US dollars at the ATM - so you wouldn't have local currency to worry about disposing of later.

Edited by tropo

Go to Vientiane. They still issue double entry visas. Takes two days, and I'd rather spend two days there than in Phnom Penh.

But not me... Phnom Penh is an exciting city compared to the rural village of Vientiane with super-crooked police refusing to issue a fine-document and pocketting the money. Not that I pretend that Cambodian police is in any way better.... but at least they keep on smiling asking your 3 US$ for overspeed...

Have been to Vientiane a few times.

By car.

Once I spotted 4 policemen, having a chat together in a booth situated on a corner off the main road.

What is so unusual or unreasonable about a visa anywhere being contingent on proof of finances, hotel booking and outbound flight?

Also, many embassies take much longer than 4 days to issue a visa.

Let's face it, tourist visas are supposed to be for tourists, not people who live in one place for an extended period. There are different categories for those.

I'm always astounded by the number of people on this forum who think they are entitled to come in and out of the country as they wish and that the Thai govt. should bend over to help them.

You're missing the point of this thread..... people are miffed by the goal posts always being moved and being forced to pay more to an agent or fixer because the consulate are playing games.

If you're eligible and you meet the requirements, you'll be issued a visa. If you've had too many visas, there's a good chance you'll get a knock back. That's fair enough in my book.

Yes, there are categories for people who want an extended stay in Thailand, and not everyone wants to bend the rules, not everyone's a serial "tourist". People like Diamond King got the run around when he tried to apply for a non o, even when he met the requirements.

I agree with the idea of working within the rules, but only when both sides play by them. The Thai consulate are changing the rules when it suits them, making it diffuclt to get a visa by legitimate means.

Not everyone thinks they have a divine right to come and go, or that the thai govt should bend over to help them.

What we do expect, though, is a level playing field and a fair crack of the whip.

• Like 2

I tried to apply for double entry tourist visa at the PP embassy a few weeks ago , but was denied since I could not show an airline ticket out of Thailand to my home country. And if I made a booking it would still take one week . New rules the lady told me, I just said fine and enjoyed the rest of my stay there.

PP is a nice city , and cheaper than Bangkok. The Khmer people are friendly . Just stay away from this embassy , its a waste of time.

• Like 1

This endless visa bureaucracy is one reason I have abandoned Thailand for Cambodia, which welcomes foreigners.

only a matter of time before this changes... cambodia growing rapidly now that the roads are finished... when they get on the up and up, it'll be screw off barangs... same as india (just nixed the 6 month visa) and thailand (nixing options left and right)

I got a single entry tourist visa in PP , 2 weeks ago. Used the guy in front, $50 USD and no paperwork of any kind. It took 2 days. He said it would be ready by 6:30 pm , but I picked it up at 3:30. He was nice and issued a receipt, but his English is not the best. If I had to use Cambodia again, I'd see if there was an agent in Poipet, as the bus from PP to Poipet is pretty long. He is in the 3rd sentry post from the north side.

so why you continue to fly Air Asia? Nothing worse than that. Nothing less flexible than this company. Close to a scam! Never ever anymore.

I rather pay 1,000 THB more and fly Bangkok Airways (with much greater flexibilty) than this stingy crooked organisation, which is only out for your money...

Why do you say this organization is crooked? Is that just your opinion or do you have proof?

Imagine, a business organization "only out for your money"...! Why, they should be hung up by their thumbs! haha I guess all businesses where you come from are just in it for the love of their customers??

Air Asia is still the best game around for cheap, reliable regional SEA travel. I fly them about 10 times a year (including twice BKK-PP) and have never had any problems. Yes, I've had to cancel a flight here and there and lost $60 or even $100 once, but that's not going to kill me.