Thailand To Hold Inquests Into Protest Deaths

webfact

Thailand to hold inquests into protest deaths

BANGKOK, March 13, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand is to hold inquests into the deaths of 16 people killed during a crackdown on "Red Shirt" anti-government protests two years ago, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

More than 90 people, mostly civilians, were killed and nearly 1,900 wounded during the 2010 rallies, which ended in a bloody military operation under then premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, who is now opposition leader.

The demonstrations came after years of political unrest that began months before a 2006 military coup that deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, long despised by the Bangkok elites but supported by many of the Red Shirts.

Red Shirt supporter Channarong Polsrila was among 16 fatalities identified as likely to have been caused by the security forces' operation, prosecutor Varidsanee Manyawut said.

Channarong was shot dead on a road near Victory Monument in Bangkok at the height of the anti-government protests in May 2010.

"The court will hold an inquest to identify who he was and how he died," Varidsanee told AFP.

Under Thailand's Criminal Procedure Code, prosecutors have the power to submit for inquest any deaths believed related to or involving the authorities, she said.

An initial hearing was held on Monday but examination of 41 witnesses in the case will not begin until mid-June.

Thaksin, who remains a hugely divisive figure, lives overseas to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends was politically motivated.

His sister Yingluck Shinawatra is now prime minister after a resounding election victory last year.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-13

Quote:

'' Thaksin, who remains a hugely divisive figure, lives overseas to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends was politically motivated. ''

Again AFP gets important pieces of information wrong.

He was not sentenced to two years imprisonment for corruption, he was sentenced to two years for abuse of power, no connection whatever to political matters.

Thaksin knows this very well but continues, conveniently, to state this the case was politically motivated. Totally untruthful.

He broke a serious abuse of power law, and the time the case was heard and he was convicted was during a thaksin puppet government.

AFP, you regularly make serious mistakes like this, your journalists who cover Thailand should be well aware of this case and the correct facts.

Edited by scorecard

I guess if they continue to examine the same stuff over and over again by different people for years they are bound at some point to get some answers they like.

What "same stuff" are they investigating, Nisa?

Thaksin's money trail to the armed blackshirts would be an interesting path, but somehow not expecting this proposed investigation to go there.

I guess if they continue to examine the same stuff over and over again by different people for years they are bound at some point to get some answers they like.

Thaksin's money trail to the armed blackshirts would be an interesting path, but somehow not expecting this proposed investigation to go there.

If you did a bit more investigation you'd find out why this "proposed" investigation would have nothing to do with a supposed "money trail to the armed blackshirts". Just out of interest why do you castigate others for posting suppositions and passing them off as fact when you do exactly that?

For those that are interested in the reality of the "investigations" they are in fact the first post mortem inquests being held into the deaths of 16 people killed in the 2010 crackdown. As far as I can tell another three deaths have been added to the original 13 , amongst them an army private and a 14 year old boy from an Orphans Home.

Aye, it's called "Thai whispers". ;)

-mel.

I don't think it matters what 'stuff' they are investigating, be it similar roads or the same path. What IS clear is that the bandwagon of red-shirt barbarians leaders are now in Governmental power seats, Chalerm is covering YL's ass, she is doctoring events to cover her brother, and the clear message is they will all bend every rule in the book to permit TS back; Scott free! That's what matters, and I add 'unfortunately' to that.

-mel.

• Like 1

I don't think it matters what 'stuff' they are investigating, be it similar roads or the same path. What IS clear is that the bandwagon of red-shirt barbarians leaders are now in Governmental power seats, Chalerm is covering YL's ass, she is doctoring events to cover her brother, and the clear message is they will all bend every rule in the book to permit TS back; Scott free! That's what matters, and I add 'unfortunately' to that.

-mel.

If you're responding to the OP then it actually does matter what stuff we are talking about and funnily enough none of your post above is at all related to the OP. I'll file your post with Nisas' adult debating response.

-mel.

If you're responding to the OP then it actually does matter what stuff we are talking about and funnily enough none of your post above is at all related to the OP. I'll file your post with Nisas' adult debating response.

You can file it up your back passage for all I'm concerned. We all know these investigations are liable, end up with Anon. witnesses suddenly appearing from nowhere after 2 years! What's the point? In reality, it DOESN'T matter what is investigated or how it is, because the answers are all fraudulent anyway!

-mel.

- sniper -

-mel.

You can file it up your back passage for all I'm concerned. We all know these investigations are liable, end up with Anon. witnesses suddenly appearing from nowhere after 2 years! What's the point? In reality, it DOESN'T matter what is investigated or how it is, because the answers are all fraudulent anyway!

-mel.

yep, that's right. Before anyone knows what the answers are, they are all lies...

For sure ...

;)

Quote:

'' Thaksin, who remains a hugely divisive figure, lives overseas to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends was politically motivated. ''

He was not sentenced to two years imprisonment for corruption, he was sentenced to two years for abuse of power, no connection whatever to political matters.

Thaksin knows this very well but continues, conveniently, to state this the case was politically motivated. Totally untruthful.

He broke a serious abuse of power law, and the time the case was heard and he was convicted was during a thaksin puppet government.

AFP, you regularly make serious mistakes like this, your journalists who cover Thailand should be well aware of this case and the correct facts.

Abuse of power could be referred to as corruption.

His conviction being political is "totally untruthful". How do you know that?

As another poster pointed out, the relevance of being convicted under a PPP gov't is Nil.

I just read yesterday:

Fugitive Leader Longs for National Reconciliation This Year

SEOUL: -- The fugitive former Prime Minister insists that Thai political conflicts would be resolved this year.

I guess his sister's government wasn't reading the same article.

I just read yesterday:

Fugitive Leader Longs for National Reconciliation This Year

SEOUL: -- The fugitive former Prime Minister insists that Thai political conflicts would be resolved this year.

I guess his sister's government wasn't reading the same article.

I'm sure they were, but hidden agendas mean more tea-money in the long run. I mean, come on, hotel visits prior to asset land sales? :o .... ;)

-mel.

A post criticizing the Thai courts has been removed:

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

A post rather inflammatory in nature by over usage of an emoticon, with no text added has been removed as well as a reply.

Quote:

Abuse of power could be referred to as corruption.

His conviction being political is "totally untruthful". How do you know that?

As another poster pointed out, the relevance of being convicted under a PPP gov't is Nil.

My dear Tom,

- abuse of power could be seen as corrupt and/or dictatorial aspects of a government head.

- how do you know the conviction of k. Thaksin in the Ratchada plot was political ?

- convicted under PPP gov't is not relevant. Here I agree. The relevance is in being properly, juridically convicted. UNder which government is totally irrrelevant.

IMHO

Edited by rubl

I hope Chalerm is deeply involved with this. He has considerable experience with witnesses, and their miraculous appearance/disappearance.

Why do some us expect lies from this government before we hear what they have to say? Put it down to a lack of naivety, if you will.

And just re-visited;

Yingluck denies linkage between Thaksin and govt

Edited by OzMick