UK pensions

On 10/7/2016 at 9:19 AM, nong38 said:

A date for your diaries, Chancellor''s Autumn Statement is November 23rd.

New Chancellor and maybe a more fairer approach?

Judging by what the new PM said the Conference maybe, a bit more help for savers and a squeeze on cheap mortgages at savers expenses and end to QE which has not helped our savings wealth one jot.

May says that recently the rich hace richer and the poor have got poorer and she is going to make the UK a fairer society, lets hope there is something there for us then eh?

Some hope Nong.

What happens next after applying for pension online in the UK? I'll be away for a few months and the pension is due to start in Jan so I did the application early, not heard anything since. Are there any more forms to fill in, do they phone up just before the due date, or is it all automatic after the application goes in? 

6 hours ago, thai3 said:

What happens next after applying for pension online in the UK? I'll be away for a few months and the pension is due to start in Jan so I did the application early, not heard anything since. Are there any more forms to fill in, do they phone up just before the due date, or is it all automatic after the application goes in? 

I would just take it that things will happen as you think, on the time you think you should get some pension into your chosen account watch the account, if nothing has turned up in a week, then wait 4 more before contacting them, deferral is done in 5 week chunks so you might as well get the extra, small though it might be, then go back to them.

Its not expensive to phone back if you want to check, I am with dtac so 004-44 then the number without the 0 will do the trick, but if you are not desperate for cash, sit back and watch for things to happen, they probably hard pressed, theres a lot of us about.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, thai3 said:

For me last year, did the Application 5 months early as they asked for,  2 months before my 65th b'day got a letter stating how much, paying into which Bank account etc.........  From this point appears many do get there Pension fine, for me not at all sure why still, but took 4 months + many many phone calls to Wolverhampton, and then on month 5, received 4 weekly payments every week = was then up-to-date.. since then has always arrived fine every 4 weeks...

Of course some people [me anyway] have bad luck? with government Offices  still waiting 16 months on, for just under £1,000 from the Tax man for 2014/15 over payment.. and still not received yet the 2015/16 over-payment of tax. have letter's stating I have over-paid yet how to get them to refund the over-payment is like hitting your head against the wall......  Thankfully my Private Pension there was never a problem in 3 years

Best wishes, hope it goes straight forward without a hitch. 

• Like 1
On 15/05/2012 at 2:13 PM, Kwasaki said:

You can claim by phone in England I know but I telephoned the the pension centre first from Thailand smile.png and the guy said I have to claim through the International Pension Centre.rolleyes.gif

That's why I write here to inform people wanting to claim in Thailand what happens, I telephoned the International Pension Centre on my Thai tot house phone using 008 and the lady said I cannot claim over the phone from abroard, you can do it on-line using UK Government Gateway ( easy to join up and it good if you have to deal with tax issues as well later ) or they will post the forms to your address in Thailand but original birth certificates & marriage certificate are required to be sent with the last page printed from the on-line claim or posted back with the forms they have sent you.

My daughter is sending me tax forms already received at my UK postal address, don't waste any time at all do they. laugh.png

HMRC are super efficient at grabbing your cash (I won't go into detail as this is the wrong thread) but horribly inefficient at paying you back.

but returning to the pension matter whilst I have a few years left before getting mine I was fortunate (?) enough to have been born mid March. If I read this correctly, if I decide to defer the claim until say mid June if that year I would not only get the 1% increase but also the pension adjustment that the prevailing government decides on as well?

grateful for any words of wisdom please.

25 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

HMRC are super efficient at grabbing your cash (I won't go into detail as this is the wrong thread) but horribly inefficient at paying you back.

but returning to the pension matter whilst I have a few years left before getting mine I was fortunate (?) enough to have been born mid March. If I read this correctly, if I decide to defer the claim until say mid June if that year I would not only get the 1% increase but also the pension adjustment that the prevailing government decides on as well?

grateful for any words of wisdom please.

Apologies I would not be the best for info on defer matters l'm sure some others here could help you out.

I would say nearer the time phone the IPC they will ring you back if you ask them once you have given ID info, they very well mannered and very helpful.

Goodluck for your big pay day. :biggrin:

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Apologies I would not be the best for info on defer matters l'm sure some others here could help you out.

I would say nearer the time phone the IPC they will ring you back if you ask them once you have given ID info, they very well mannered and very helpful.

Goodluck for your big pay day. :biggrin:

Thanks K, I am not so hopeful for a big payday but hell, , I might be able to afford an upgrade from Leo to Chang

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ignis said:

For me last year, did the Application 5 months early as they asked for,  2 months before my 65th b'day got a letter stating how much, paying into which Bank account etc.........  From this point appears many do get there Pension fine, for me not at all sure why still, but took 4 months + many many phone calls to Wolverhampton, and then on month 5, received 4 weekly payments every week = was then up-to-date.. since then has always arrived fine every 4 weeks...

Of course some people [me anyway] have bad luck? with government Offices  still waiting 16 months on, for just under £1,000 from the Tax man for 2014/15 over payment.. and still not received yet the 2015/16 over-payment of tax. have letter's stating I have over-paid yet how to get them to refund the over-payment is like hitting your head against the wall......  Thankfully my Private Pension there was never a problem in 3 years

Best wishes, hope it goes straight forward without a hitch. 

You cannot claim it now until you are under 4 months from your birthday. Used to be longer but another thing they changed. I tried at 4 months one day and it was no go, until a couple of days later then it went through.

24 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Well if it does get passed I would strongly recommend to any political party that a major slice of the expat vote could be bought judging by some of the comments in this thread

6 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

We got stiffed the day we told our GP we were thinking about emigrating. Firstly refused doctor appointment at my GP with whom I was registered then phoned and told we could see the doctor if we paid £60.

so we went to the local A&E hospital  and got my serious kidney infection treated for free

money grabbing parasites.

my tenant managed to see the same GP within days of landing his EU butt in the UK after paying sfa into the pot. No paperwork was or has been asked from him since.

This is a strange reaction from a GP because the more people they have on the books they more they get from the Government to run the practice and if you are not there you are not bothering them, bit like money for nothing.

• Like 1

Hi Nong38

yes truly odd indeed what made it even more frustrating was ( apart from the challenge in trying to get past the savage guard dog like receptionists)  the doctor had specifically told my wife to come back and see her in September ( which was when we went) my ailment was incidental to that.

i was disgusted especially after all the NI and Tax I had stuffed their way.

I will be interested to see how this new proposal on UK voting goes. Yes it right that we should have the right to vote whilst we are alive regardless of where we live, thats what democracy is all about, being able to have your say every 5 years, not asking a lot is it, but I would like to know about the proposals, after all there are many forms of democracy and everyone is right, is that right?

Thailand has its own version which seems to change with the wind, but, I cannot vote here just observe it and it might be right for the people here, they might be happy with it, well, most of them.

As for us from the UK, as pensioners, where does that leave us?

We have register in a constituency or do we register as an ex-pat and how might that work? Do we vote for a party and then proportionately have so many Tory, Lab, Lib dems or UKIP, SNP etc votes to add to any debate?

There are about 1m ex pats so if you think about 100k registered electors to a constituency that would give about 10 seats to us, sounds simple to just share it out between the parties until someone asks for a ballot on particular subject then what happens?

Did I say democracy was simple? Its simple to those who set it up to work for them, in whatever country you choose to focus on.

Life is full of interest, if only I could get some to help me through life!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, nong38 said:

I will be interested to see how this new proposal on UK voting goes. Yes it right that we should have the right to vote whilst we are alive regardless of where we live, thats what democracy is all about, being able to have your say every 5 years, not asking a lot is it, but I would like to know about the proposals, after all there are many forms of democracy and everyone is right, is that right?

Thailand has its own version which seems to change with the wind, but, I cannot vote here just observe it and it might be right for the people here, they might be happy with it, well, most of them.

As for us from the UK, as pensioners, where does that leave us?

We have register in a constituency or do we register as an ex-pat and how might that work? Do we vote for a party and then proportionately have so many Tory, Lab, Lib dems or UKIP, SNP etc votes to add to any debate?

There are about 1m ex pats so if you think about 100k registered electors to a constituency that would give about 10 seats to us, sounds simple to just share it out between the parties until someone asks for a ballot on particular subject then what happens?

Did I say democracy was simple? Its simple to those who set it up to work for them, in whatever country you choose to focus on.

Life is full of interest, if only I could get some to help me through life!

I think Italy have some M.P's voted for by ex-pats,probably other countries also.

There will now be ex-service personnel who served in Afganistan for instance,who are now ex-pats and cannot vote, while there is at least one instance of a member of the Afgan  Taliban who has since gained enter into the UK and who is now eligible to vote in UK elections. 

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

However, the vote will be useless unless the government can arrange for the ballot papers to be sent out in sufficient time for their vote to be counted.

Then of course you could use a British address and still be registered to vote ,although i am sure nobody on these boards does anything like that

I got good news today from HM Revenue and Customs.

I made an inquiry 6 years ago and was told I could pay back 6 years at about  GBP 700 a year. I chose not to.

I made more inquiries recently and they sent me a letter saying I qualify for voluntary Class 2 contributions. Also I can pay back 10 years at about GBP 140 a year! great news. Then I can pay for the next 10 years to get the full pension for paying 30 years.

One thing they didn't tell me was where to send it to and how. Does anyone know?

Anyway, 1500 quid for 10 years is a lot better than 7000, so I chuffed today!

57 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I made an inquiry 6 years ago and was told I could pay back 6 years at about  GBP 700 a year. I chose not to.

I made more inquiries recently and they sent me a letter saying I qualify for voluntary Class 2 contributions. Also I can pay back 10 years at about GBP 140 a year! great news. Then I can pay for the next 10 years to get the full pension for paying 30 years.

One thing they didn't tell me was where to send it to and how. Does anyone know?

The qualifying period to get the full state pension increased to 35 years from April this year.

So you'll get 30/35th of the Pension.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Faz said:

The qualifying period to get the full state pension increased to 35 years from April this year.

So you'll get 30/35th of the Pension.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

That's OK, I can pay for the next 15 years until I'm 67. 150 quid a year is not a lot.

Edited by Johnniey
11 hours ago, Johnniey said:

one thing they didnt tell you unless you already know,if you peg it before your 67.:shock1:

• Like 2

Careful which Bank you chose

I applied for my Sate Pension back and received the confirmation letters, all seemed well. However, on checking my bank I found no payments had been made so I phoned the UK to ask the reason.

To my (and their) surprise was told they cannot send the pension to an ‘Internet’ bank – mine being Cahoot, the internet bank of Santander. I changed my instructions and now it is paid into another ‘High Street’ bank.

One point I would say was how well UK Pensions helped on the phone once the problem was traced – full marks to them.

• Like 2