UK pensions

Flustered said that as we live abroad and dont spend our money and pay tax in the UK we are not entitled to rises ,well when i lived in the UK i paid taxes and vat etc ,but claimed nothing for that time ,as i now live in another country and contributed then ,can i have it all back now ? as i never claimed it then ,but thought i was contributing for my future

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Spot on, I read a story earlier in the week based on an article written by, l think, the Nuffield Trust highlighting the concern that Brexit could cost the NHS millions of Pounds a year if expats returned to the UK for their healthcare needs. Whilst this was really about expats living in the rest of the EU when the UK finally leaves, it could be replicated if expats living in other countries around the globe felt the need to return to take advantage of the NHS.
What the story failed to acknowledge is that whilst expats returning would undoubtably have an effect on the relevant coffers, most of us are already paying into the general pot, so we're already paying for our cover.
I apologise for straying off topic.

The way things are at the moment it is very difficult to put a definition on any particular issue. Pensioners are exactly that and as it it age related healthcare is an obvious association.

The article you mentioned was reported in the Independent and there was a particularly relevant comment from one of the readers. In his view the article had only touched the tip of the iceberg, he lived in Spain and was aware of many that were already looking to come back because of the pound and the political climate. The big problem was that these people were struggling to sell their homes as the market was now saturated. The most likely outcome would be that they would end up selling very low, making if very unlikely they could buy again in the UK.

Generally speaking pensions are well below the benefit levels, although initially capital from the sale would probably exclude benefits it would only be a matter of time in rented accommodation for that to reverse and create a knock on effect throughout the system.

The current policy of paying low pensions and telling pensioners to claim benefits could well become a major headache for the government in the years to come.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The way things are at the moment it is very difficult to put a definition on any particular issue. Pensioners are exactly that and as it it age related healthcare is an obvious association.

The article you mentioned was reported in the Independent and there was a particularly relevant comment from one of the readers. In his view the article had only touched the tip of the iceberg, he lived in Spain and was aware of many that were already looking to come back because of the pound and the political climate. The big problem was that these people were struggling to sell their homes as the market was now saturated. The most likely outcome would be that they would end up selling very low, making if very unlikely they could buy again in the UK.

Generally speaking pensions are well below the benefit levels, although initially capital from the sale would probably exclude benefits it would only be a matter of time in rented accommodation for that to reverse and create a knock on effect throughout the system.

The current policy of paying low pensions and telling pensioners to claim benefits could well become a major headache for the government in the years to come.

Maye the plan is for these returning expat pensioners to take up the jobs that will be created when the immigration level is in the tens of thousands

It is true that if we all returned to the UK the DWP would squeal indeed they would want to get out of the country so fast so that they would not have to account for the failure, I think it is my duty to inform anyone thinking about bailing out that they should choose their destination with great care, I cannot bring myself to tell them they should have done their research and homework or contact any flustered Yorkshireman eating noodles and supping John Smiths whilst looking rather smug.

• Like 2

BRITISH ELECTION RESULT

The result of the UK General Election offers frozen British pensioners a far greater opportunity our campaign than the expected a big Tory majority would have.

However, as the Conservatives are now likely to be dependent on the DUP who are supporters of unfreezing,to get this firmly on the parliamentary agenda. The Prime Minister will also have to pay more attention to the issues her backbenchers care about, so our Conservative supporters may have more sway.

From a parliamentary lobbying perspective, given the Labour Manifesto commitment to address frozen pensions, and strong historic support from the SNP, DUP, Plaid Cmyru and Greens, we now have 311 MPs that could be whipped by their parties to support reform. In such a situation, we would only need a dozen Tories and Lib Dems to give us a majority, so there is a real opportunity to pursue this route too, building on the significant progress of the last year.

It is good to see that our most vocal parliamentary champions have been returned. APPG officers Roger Gale, Ian Blackford, Peter Bottomley and Yasmin Qureshi are all back, so I am very hopeful that this group will be reformed. We have however lost Greg Mulholland, who has been our main Lib Dem MP supporter in recent years.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

311 mp's including Labour. What makes you so sure that they'll support our cause.

I've had correspondence with two of those Labour M.P's They Could't give a dam about our predicament. As far as there concerned we're irrelevant.

When I wrote to my MP a couple of years ago her staff replied saying that she was following the Tory party whip. Then she was a newly elected MP. Now she is on her second session and I doubt that she has changed.

I don't think the prospects have improved much by the inclusion of the DUP in any new government. Northern Ireland politicians of all persuasions are distinguished only by their capacity to be disagreeable about everything. There are now so many issues of burning importance to address that frozen pensions will be off the agenda for quite some time. In any event an agreement with the DUP is not yet a done deal.

• Like 2

...the best we can hope is that there's an Ian Blackford in their ranks although I recon TM will be gone by Oct & another election could follow in spring. In the meantime I will raise my previous points via the appropriate channels; "Squeezing wheel" an' all that ?

Edited by evadgib
10 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

I don't think the prospects have improved much by the inclusion of the DUP in any new government. Northern Ireland politicians of all persuasions are distinguished only by their capacity to be disagreeable about everything. There are now so many issues of burning importance to address that frozen pensions will be off the agenda for quite some time. In any event an agreement with the DUP is not yet a done deal.

According to leaks, it seems the DUP are insisting that those changes to pensions, as proposed in that disasterouse Conservative suicide manifesto, must be scraped. So it would seem that the DUP are protecting the existing rights of pensioners. Although for some strange reason the "UNBIASED" British press are ignoring this news, preferring to high light offer aspects of the DUP.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

There are two hopes for getting our pensiones upgraded ,and we all know the name of both of them , 

All holding such view will utter  "I'm Brian and so is my wife"  quick enough when HMG inevitably relents.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, evadgib said:

...the best we can hope is that there's an Ian Blackford in their ranks although I recon TM will be gone by Oct & another election could follow in spring. In the meantime I will raise my previous points via the appropriate channels; "Squeaking wheel" an' all that ?

"Thank you for contacting the Electoral Commission. 

We will respond to your enquiry as soon as we can".

The triple lock will continue, the DUP will claim a gain everybody wins! With inflation now running at 2.9% the Tories will happily let it ride for the time being, what will it be when the September inflation figure comes out for this is the one that the increase will be based on and with the BOE reluctant to put interest rates there is room for further moves north, not as if it helps us much.

If the Labour party were to gain control of the country then inflation would rise and the pound would fall we must all hope for "strength and stability" over the next couple of years.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, billd766 said:

More government meaningless gobbley gook.

These are very important people who no one has ever heard of through no fault of their own, although I think one of them once a had atrial with Tranmere Rovers!

On 6/12/2017 at 8:44 AM, evadgib said:

...the best we can hope is that there's an Ian Blackford in their ranks although I recon TM will be gone by Oct & another election could follow in spring. In the meantime I will raise my previous points via the appropriate channels; "Squeaking wheel" an' all that ?

Somehow I knew I was wasting my time, given I no longer have an MP (15 years!) & the ones in my current or former UK constituencies are ministers who refuse point blank to go off piste. 

Thank you for your email to the Electoral Commission

The Electoral Commission does not make electoral law – that is the role of Parliament.  You would need therefore to let your MP know your thoughts.

Meanwhile, I have logged your contact to the Commission in the event that we are consulted by Government on potential changes to the law on campaigning.

I hope that this information guides you.

Kind regards,

<Redacted>
Public Info Officer

The Electoral Commission
www.electoralcommission.org.uk

Edited by evadgib
13 minutes ago, dexjnr555 said:

Do Arabs get UK pension too?

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Much as I disagree with 99.99% of what  Rajab Al Zarahni posts, I would not stoop to a racist remark like this.

Although his name is of Saudi origin, there is no reason why he could not be a 100% British citizen and fully entitled to post his views on this subject.

• Like 1