Thinking About Buying Land

hi all, i am thinking about buying a rai of land approx 330kms north of bangkok in a place call bung samphan 70kms south of petchabun, it has no water or electricity the main petchabun to bangkok road is about 200 metres from the landwith the nearest shops and market about 4kms from the land i have been told buy my thai wife and the lovely mother in law 350,000 baht , but i sure would like a bit more help with this if anyone has any ideas about the price of land

thanks

OK ... I'll kick it off because you are new here.

First of all click the link at the top right of this page which says 'Follow this Topic' and you will receive an email every time someone replies to you.

Secondly, do you know that you actually can not 'own' land in your own name?

Thirdly is it 'Chanote land'?

(In non-Thai speak ... what is it's inherent title rights?)

Does it have sealed road access?

Dirt road access?

Any access? Yes, some property is sold which is effectively land locked and to access it you have to travel over another's property to which you may or may not have legal right to do so.

What was it's previous use?

Why are the people selling?

Have you made any enquiries into other similar land which has sold in the area?

Do you realize that sometimes it is a raising in social status for a Thai family to own land and that this maybe the motivation why your wife and mother-in-law are suggesting that you buy.

Do you realise that your wife can buy the land with your money but the 'title' is in her name and that you actually have to sign a document that you have effectively 'gifted' her the money and have legal recourse to it?

Maybe it is easier to point him to the many threads here where all this has been explained many times.

Start with this Original Post ... buying-land-a-checklist

Guys have I missed something?

Oh bugger, I just read that you just want to know the value of the land ... I'm tired already ... next poster please ... coffee1.gif

Edited by David48

thx for the reply

the land belongs to my wifes mum

it has a public soi running down it and i do not have to walk over other peoples land to get to the soi, the mum in law wants me to buy the land so i can build a house on it, i know i can not own land as i am a farang i know all about the legal maters , it just seems a bit expensive, in fact i typed wrong the 1st time it is for 1/2 rai not 1 rai, the land is just being used to store the normal things like tyres lawnmowers and any other thing that is not thrown away in the rubbish

p.s yes i am new and i cant see where you said to click on the right to follow this topic

but yr help and advice is much apreciated

Well it's great that you understand the legal side of land ownership and saves a heap of questions.

We still need to know the title of it 'Chanote' or not.

As for fair value, I think you are being very diplomatic when you say that "it just seems a bit expensive".

thaicbr above has a closer term to the worth of the property.

Your problem now is how to save face for all so that living with the wife and dealing with your mother-in-law doesn't become a problem.

As for the notification button, on my page it seems to have slipped below the 'View Content Button' and you can just see the bottom of it poking out ... still works though when you click the 'Follow this Topic'

Let us know how you resolve the problem.

Hopefully others here will come on board who own property in that area to give you an indication of a fair price.

Welcome to being your family's ATM... why the f*** does she want to sell her property to her daughter for such an exorbitant price? She could keep tha land, let you build a house on it, you live there and when she passes away, she can inherit the land to her daughter... no need for money flow except... you being her ATM...

As pointed out.. .you are in deep sh*t now... how to get out of that without anybody loosing face...

• Like 1

In negotiating prices ... work what you want to pay and offer less then 1/2 price (that mother-in-law is asking) as your opening bid. You can’t lower your opening bid! Thais love to bargin when buying, always smile, be polite but firm, otherwise you lose their respect.

Is there any urgency to buy the land?

Are you going to build?

Buying vacant land with no intention to build on it (home factory etc) is just dead money unless you have inside information of an infrastructure upgrade which will increase the capital value of the real estate.

Do you have any inside information?

Plus there are some really weird Thai Laws (different from that we have in the west) about squatting rites etc. Maybe some of the other posters here can mention a few examples.

The Chanote issue is really important as it goes closer to guaranteeing you tenure.

Maybe say to your mother-in-Law that you "only have a little money at the moment and want the best that you can for her well-being and that it might be better to sell the land to a local Thai so that she can get the maximum price for her land."

All BS we know and that saves your face and you know that she most likely at best will achieve 150,000 Baht ... maybe less.

If the land sells, problem over for you ... if not, the non sale proves the 'way over the top' asking price in the first place.

The longer it stays on the market, the cheaper it becomes.

You still have to deal with the Mrs though ...

Edited by David48

It's always difficult to tell the worth of land from this side of a computer. But for that type of land in that region it doesn't sound expensive. It's sounds like a total rip off. My Mrs bought hers several years ago so I won't go off that but a friend of hers just bought 3 rai for that price. It also has electric and water going to it and a road albeit a dirt one. She may have got this cheap or it may be the market price. Dunno.

The best thing to do is have a good look around in the area for something similar. I doubt very much something like 1/2 rai would fetch anywhere near that.

It's always difficult to tell the worth of land from this side of a computer. But for that type of land in that region it doesn't sound expensive. It's sounds like a total rip off. My Mrs bought hers several years ago so I won't go off that but a friend of hers just bought 3 rai for that price. It also has electric and water going to it and a road albeit a dirt one. She may have got this cheap or it may be the market price. Dunno.

The best thing to do is have a good look around in the area for something similar. I doubt very much something like 1/2 rai would fetch anywhere near that.

Think we all agree that something is wrong here. Hope it's not the wife thats ripping him off but l have seen it a few times.

Mr BJ, thats the beauty of the internet.

Taken from ddproperty.co website.

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99-300-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA3-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0-4-%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97-%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%84-210959

the above is 40k per rai,

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99-100-300-%E0%B9%84-195185

the above is 10k per rai,

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C-370-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9B%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%99-%E0%B8%99-%E0%B8%AA-3%E0%B8%81-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0-4-192671

another at 40k per rai,

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C-%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B6%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99-80-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA-3%E0%B8%81-%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AD-180954

above is 45k per rai

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A2-%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%87-%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81-50993

above is 15k per rai,

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%86%E0%B9%86-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99-36-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD-47699

the most expensive at 52k per rai.

All these are in Beung Samphan that the OP mentions.

Never mind saving face for the MIL, what about the farang saving face by growing a pair, the MIL obviously sees a buffalo being led to an ATM in her dreams.

The only three Thai words the OP needs to say are, mai son jai, not interested.

• Like 1

Although the land seems well overpriced, befor stating the MIL should gift it to the daughter...seriously how many people anywhere else in the world would just give their daugter land or a house...nowhere!!!

I thought that is the general rule???

Parents giving their children land (if the parents own land), either while alive or after dying.

thx for the reply

the land belongs to my wifes mum

it has a public soi running down it and i do not have to walk over other peoples land to get to the soi, the mum in law wants me to buy the land so i can build a house on it, i know i can not own land as i am a farang i know all about the legal maters , it just seems a bit expensive, in fact i typed wrong the 1st time it is for 1/2 rai not 1 rai, the land is just being used to store the normal things like tyres lawnmowers and any other thing that is not thrown away in the rubbish

p.s yes i am new and i cant see where you said to click on the right to follow this topic

but yr help and advice is much apreciated

So, the land your wife wants to buy is already owned by her mother?

Here we go, so do you think is is worth 350,000bt? or have you been told it's a steal at that price?

Don't want to be negative but land up there is not worth much, no water, no electric? It's farm land mate, worth 50,000bt max.

Tell your wife, who I am sure you trust to stop pulling your plonker as she has been found out.

Also, if you were that sure of this golden chance you would not be asking strangers for advice.

Follow your first thought in that it's too expensive an dtell the wife to pack it in.

thx to all tht replied all help is kindly appreciated and noted will go see the lovely MIL in the songkram festival with the wife and give her a more reasonable offer tht benefits me. as far as the mum not giving the land to the daughter i found tht strange too.thx also for tht website about land very interesting see see how the price of land differs from the MIl offer to the prices shown in tht website rgs2001uk . i am hping to buy some land for wn i retire from my work here in bkk ,also haveing stayed so far with the wife for 3 years i have grown attached to how her mum thinks and i think mayb the majority of users tht replid to me all seem to say the same tht price is well over the top, thx again to all will keep u informed of any more further developmants

Anyone have an idea how much a half rai of land should cost. It's in phayao and it has electric and water access and dirt road access. Roughly 80km from chiangrai and 4km to a Tesco.

Any input appreciated thanks

thx to all tht replied all help is kindly appreciated and noted will go see the lovely MIL in the songkram festival with the wife and give her a more reasonable offer tht benefits me. as far as the mum not giving the land to the daughter i found tht strange too.thx also for tht website about land very interesting see see how the price of land differs from the MIl offer to the prices shown in tht website rgs2001uk . i am hping to buy some land for wn i retire from my work here in bkk ,also haveing stayed so far with the wife for 3 years i have grown attached to how her mum thinks and i think mayb the majority of users tht replid to me all seem to say the same tht price is well over the top, thx again to all will keep u informed of any more further developmants

Actually you 'buying' it from the mother in law is not so bad.

Of course the price have to be lower but for that you get a very solid right that many husbands of Thai wifes would envy.

And that is a usufruct for life contract with the mother in law.

Cost you 200 baht max to register at the land office and no more worries about using the land.

Keep in mind though that you can use it, not sell it. Also keep in mind that living close to relatives can be a blessing or a disaster, not much in between.

Make that usufruct a condition!!!! Without that no sale!

Some of the posters are living in the past regarding land prices. In the past couple of years land prices have absolutely skyrocketed. Four years ago my wife bought a half rai lot in our village for 60,000 baht. She sold it a year later for 70,000 baht because another half rai lot beside our house was for sale for 70,000 baht. She still has that lot.

Last year she put money down on two rai at the edge of the village. It has water and electricity and is on the main paved road. The agreed price was 170,000 baht per rai. That same land would have sold for 60,000 per rai five years ago. The deal didn't go through because someone else offered more money. The owner returned her deposit. I thought and told her at the time that the land was way overpriced. Apparently I was wrong.

Regarding a half rai in the country with no water or electricity, even at today's prices, that price is ridiculous and to me would be a warning sign to NOT trust any of her family or her. Assuming that someone REALLY wants it, the top price should be around 100,000 baht. Sorry......sad.png

• Like 1

70 km south of Petchabun puts it close to where we recently bought 27 rai - just west of Nong Pai.

17 of those rai had Chanote and we paid 40,000 / rai. The other 10 had no paper and we paid 10,000 / rai for that adjoining piece. We also persuaded them to include legal access through their land from the road to our land.

(The owners did not know at the time that there was a Farang involved as I sent my wife and MIL to check out land while I hid out of sight in Canada. So we got the real Thai price)

Admittedly we are 5km from the Nong Pai which is on the Bangkok - Petchabun road (route 21). 50km south of Petchabun.

So your piece of land being closer to the main road would make it worth more.

My Thai MIL has been buying good rice land recently in Tasevai (6km east of Nong Pai) for 50,000/rai.

I've just talked to my wife and she tells me that being close to the main road could well make your 1 rai worth close to what you mentioned.

Maybe your best option is to look further away from the main road and see if you can find some better value land.

Or - you could just fall in with the family plans and keep everyone happy. Even at 350,000 for 1/2 acre it's good value compared to anywhere in the West.

I know prices 30km out of Chiang Mai will be much higher - too many bloody Farangs.

If you get to building before we do - 2 1/2 years yet, let me know by PM if you've found a good crew.

Okay, now I see that is only 1/2 rai - so way over priced.

Offer her 100,000 and go up to 150 if you really want to build there.

I'm hoping my MIL will want to build on our land - then we'll have someone we can trust to keep an eye on our place when we're off travelling. I'm also looking forward to farming with my FIL - if we can work around the language barrier.

In negotiating prices ... work what you want to pay and offer less then 1/2 price (that mother-in-law is asking) as your opening bid. You can’t lower your opening bid! Thais love to bargin when buying, always smile, be polite but firm, otherwise you lose their respect.

Is there any urgency to buy the land?

Are you going to build?

Buying vacant land with no intention to build on it (home factory etc) is just dead money unless you have inside information of an infrastructure upgrade which will increase the capital value of the real estate.

Do you have any inside information?

Plus there are some really weird Thai Laws (different from that we have in the west) about squatting rites etc. Maybe some of the other posters here can mention a few examples.

The Chanote issue is really important as it goes closer to guaranteeing you tenure.

Maybe say to your mother-in-Law that you "only have a little money at the moment and want the best that you can for her well-being and that it might be better to sell the land to a local Thai so that she can get the maximum price for her land."

All BS we know and that saves your face and you know that she most likely at best will achieve 150,000 Baht ... maybe less.

If the land sells, problem over for you ... if not, the non sale proves the 'way over the top' asking price in the first place.

The longer it stays on the market, the cheaper it becomes.

You still have to deal with the Mrs though ...

this seemed like good advice !