Late-Year Teenagers & Those In Their 20'S : What Are They Doing?

seaeagle

Another thread is getting bogged down with this question, so let's start a new one.............

Assuming you're a parent who is living now on Phuket, and probably intends to continue to live here:

• you have 50/50, or 100% foreign, children
  • they've had education at a local International School, OR
  • they've had education at a Thai school

What is it that your children, in their late teens, or early 20's, are doing, and where, in terms of jobs and salary?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned in the other thread, might we need to wait another generation to get the answer to that question? I hope we do get some replies because it will be very interesting, but how many Farang were on Phuket 20 years ago having children, and have been here ever since. It can't be that many surely. Also what International schools were on Phuket 20 years ago? None surely.

It's an interesting question but not one I think we will get too many replies to. Not for another 10 years anyway.

I appreciate that you are particularly interestd in Phuket, but surely those questions could be answered by parents anywhere in Thailand. I would think therefore that this would stand more chance of getting responses in the family section.

To take Bangkok as an example. I know of a 100% farang who went to a very well respected international school from the age of 8, went to university in UK, came back to Thailand and now teaches English at primary school level. I know of other farangs who were involved in exchange program and have returned to their home countries or take teaching jobs here.

After education to enter the job market in Thailand one has to be fluent in Thai language and be aware of the Thai social structure. OR they have to have the right family and the right family naame. The problem with international schools is that they coach kids towards international jobs and unless they have the right name and the right family students will find it very difficult to succeed in Thailand. Kids that have farang or lower caste Thai parents will struggle to find opportunites here.

My kids are half-Thai, go to a small private primary Thai school in Bangkok. Then we hope they continue to get the grades they are getting to enter the top classes of a respected government school, or a Singaporean school. Hopefully they can make the right friendships with the right kids along the way.

To take Bangkok as an example. I know of a 100% farang who went to a very well respected international school from the age of 8, went to university in UK, came back to Thailand and now teaches English at primary school level. I know of other farangs who were involved in exchange program and have returned to their home countries or take teaching jobs here.

After education to enter the job market in Thailand one has to be fluent in Thai language and be aware of the Thai social structure. OR they have to have the right family and the right family naame. The problem with international schools is that they coach kids towards international jobs and unless they have the right name and the right family students will find it very difficult to succeed in Thailand. Kids that have farang or lower caste Thai parents will struggle to find opportunites here.

My kids are half-Thai, go to a small private primary Thai school in Bangkok. Then we hope they continue to get the grades they are getting to enter the top classes of a respected government school, or a Singaporean school. Hopefully they can make the right friendships with the right kids along the way.

This is pretty much as I suspected.

As for teaching english, it's sad that a well educated, degree qualified, young adult, is doing the work that any backpacker could do with a 1 month TESOL or TEFL Course. Pay is anywhere from 30,000 to 40,000 baht per month. Ok money here, but nothing by western standards. I would say, that as an adult, it's their decision as to where and what they do, so, now out of the control of the parents.

On Phuket, the high paying jobs go to the members of the 10 families who control Phuket. There is really no getting around that. As you have stated, the rest of Thailand is the same.

GeekFreakLover, can I ask, where do you see your kids in 10 or 15 years time? The questions are pretty much the same I put to HKP in the other thread.

1) will they be born, raised, educated, live, work and die in Thailand?

2) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 then go to a uni in the west and then live and work in your home country?

3) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 then go to a uni in the west and then come back to Thailand to live and work?

4) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 and then you will set them up in a business?

5) Will you move back to your home country if/when they go to uni there?

6) after they finish uni, if they decide to live and work in your home country, will you stay there or come back to Phuket/Thailand.

I appreciate that you are particularly interestd in Phuket, but surely those questions could be answered by parents anywhere in Thailand. I would think therefore that this would stand more chance of getting responses in the family section.

Perhaps the mods can let this one run, as Phuket is unique in so far as there are the 10 families who run the place, and also allow a similar thread to run on another forum, for the wider expat community in Thailand. Basically, two surveys, one specific to Phuket, the other more general for the rest of Thailand.

Any mixed parentage kid with Thai nationality who is fully fluent in Thai plus one other language, should be able to find an at least 15.000 Baht a month (for starters) job at a tour agency, hotel, lawyers office or whatever other business which involves foreigners. They might have better prospects here than say in the European Union with its declining economy.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

As I mentioned in the other thread, might we need to wait another generation to get the answer to that question? I hope we do get some replies because it will be very interesting, but how many Farang were on Phuket 20 years ago having children, and have been here ever since. It can't be that many surely. Also what International schools were on Phuket 20 years ago? None surely.

It's an interesting question but not one I think we will get too many replies to. Not for another 10 years anyway.

I'm not so sure about that HKP. Phuket boomed in the 80's. However, the guys that retired here, back then, and fathered children, would most probably be dead now, and if not, probably not technology (internet) minded. (retired a little early at 60 - 25 years later they would be 85, if still alive)

Maybe their children could post.

Of course, since then, there have been many mixed marriages and 50/50 kids.

Maybe we could also hear from any 50/50 kids about their experience of growing up in Thailand, or the west, and what they are doing now.

On Phuket, the high paying jobs go to the members of the 10 families who control Phuket. There is really no getting around that. As you have stated, the rest of Thailand is the same.

What do you class as a high paying job? In my office every Thai manager is earning over 70k per month which is a decent salary for Phuket. You cant then say "oh but in Oslo that wouldnt be much" we aren't in Oslo.

My friend just left the european recession after being unemployed for 1 year and walked into a top construction position building one of the lucrative projects currently on offer in Phuket. Free car, free accomodation, work permit...etc etc...took him 7 days to find a job. I'm sure lots of parents would be proud to see their kids in such a role. Alternatively international teachers in the international schools have awsome packages, internet marketing companies and entrepreneurs here also do extremely well, property managers and sales also excel, the huge number of hotels with farang marketing, 5* chefs, business development etc etc not to mention all the marine jobs that are out here.

• Like 1

Any mixed parentage kid with Thai nationality who is fully fluent in Thai plus one other language, should be able to find an at least 15.000 Baht a month (for starters) job at a tour agency, hotel, lawyers office or whatever other business which involves foreigners. They might have better prospects here than say in the European Union with its declining economy.

I think you have inadvertently given a reason not to stay on Phuket.

15,000 baht a month is b**ger all for someone fluent in two languages.

500 USD.. 300 GBP..

Thats a per day salary requirement not per month !!

What do you class as a high paying job? In my office every Thai manager is earning over 70k per month which is a decent salary for Phuket. You cant then say "oh but in Oslo that wouldnt be much" we aren't in Oslo.

But the person from Oslo can afford to come here, the person here cant afford to go to Oslo..

Its about long term opportunities..

My good friend has 2 good kids (not kids now both in 20's) who have been out here years.. We have often had this discussion and debate.

To get them any kind of decent wage hes basically started a business, and employs them both.. They both work (hard) and get a local type salary.. But the flip side is, they live at home, have no job prospects as such, have 24/7 contact with 'Dad'. Little privacy or self development time. No holidays not with Dad. Etc etc..

My mate (Dad) loves it.. He loves his sons, feels a great connection to his sons, spends lots of time with his sons... But if I was either one of the Sons, as much as I love my Dad, I dont want to work for him.. I dont want to live with him, I dont want every penny I get to be doled out of his pocket, like a 10 year olds pocket money (hers your pocket money Jnr.. Dont spent it all on the same brass). I want to have my own life by the time I am in my 20's. This is the most successful setup I see.. Requiring his full time work, a company made, etc etc.. And the end result I see it as being very claustrophobic.

But the person from Oslo can afford to come here, the person here cant afford to go to Oslo..

OK they might not be able to go on regular holidays to Oslo but for example they could certainly go from a job in the Hilton here in Phuket to a job in the Hilton in Oslo.

OK they might not be able to go on regular holidays to Oslo but for example they could certainly go from a job in the Hilton here in Phuket to a job in the Hilton in Oslo.

Pretty narrow escape route available only to a tiny fraction of a per cent of people, to a highly limited number of locations tho I think you would admit.

The fact is your trapping them into a economy that is never able to reward them very highly, to compete against people who would work for terrible wages, while they have the added farang tax and expectations.

However that side can be solved simply by having money, and many expats do, they are retiring with wealth and it can pass to their heirs.. For me the more significant problem is how does a young person develop into a independent adult. how to they spread their wings and grow into their own man (or woman) and learn to stand alone. How do you teach them the value of working to achieve things (its not like they can go and do odd jobs for money, when a local or Burmese would do a days work for what would be western pocket money).

Those aspects seem far harder to solve than just the money aspect.

Edited by LivinLOS

My friend just left the european recession after being unemployed for 1 year and walked into a top construction position building one of the lucrative projects currently on offer in Phuket. Free car, free accomodation, work permit...etc etc...took him 7 days to find a job. I'm sure lots of parents would be proud to see their kids in such a role. Alternatively international teachers in the international schools have awsome packages, internet marketing companies and entrepreneurs here also do extremely well, property managers and sales also excel, the huge number of hotels with farang marketing, 5* chefs, business development etc etc not to mention all the marine jobs that are out here.

70,000 baht per month is good money for a Thai. What would they be paid, doing the same job, in the west???? Oh, that's right, they can't do the same job in the west because they have a Thai education and a degree from a Thai uni that isn't recognised in the west.

"My friend just left the European recession" - is it fair to assume he is European, educated in Europe, has a degree or trade from Europe? Why do you think he got the job here???? Would he have got the job if his degree was from a Thai uni????

My point is, the foreigners with the well paying jobs here, that you mention, were all educated in the west. Now, if your kid doesn't want to be a project manager, chef or marine engineer, for example, they are on 8,000 baht a month doing whatever else here.

70,000 baht per month is good money for a Thai. What would they be paid, doing the same job, in the west???? Oh, that's right, they can't do the same job in the west because they have a Thai education and a degree from a Thai uni that isn't recognised in the west.

Please specify 'west' and where a Thai uni degree is not recognised? And also a source please for that 'not recognised in the west'.

A few far more plausible reasons for them not working in the west are that they don't want to work there, and that the labour markets in 'the west' are very, very restricted. Nearly impossible for a Thai to get into any of the countries in 'the west', let alone work there with the exception of the jobs the 'western' labour force does not want to do anymore. And even those jobs are very difficult to come by (legally) for anybody not 'western'.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Please specify 'west' and where a Thai uni degree is not recognised? And also a source please for that 'not recognised in the west'.

A few far more plausible reasons for them not working in the west are that they don't want to work there, and that the labour markets in 'the west' are very, very restricted. Nearly impossible for a Thai to get into any of the countries in 'the west', let alone work there with the exception of the jobs the 'western' labour force does not want to do anymore. And even those jobs are very difficult to come by (legally) for anybody not 'western'.

clap2.gif

A quick google search revealed these links, both on the first page. Scroll down to "Thailand" and scroll down to "Economic."

http://85.92.87.111/~artcypr/comparability.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

Obviously, a degree from a university like this one in Thailand http://www.au.edu/ is internationally recognised. However, you will find many public Thai Universities are not internationally accredited, therefore, a degree from those universities is not worth much, outside of Thailand.

Similarly, an education at a school such as this one http://www.shrewsbury.ac.th/shb/home/home.html is also recognised in order to gain admission to a university abroad. However, you will find an education from a public Thai school will not be recognised for overseas university admission. Of course, as mentioned previously, you can "pay up front" to get your child into university in certain countries.

I would hate to think of the cost of sending a child to either one of the above, but there are many wealthy people on Phuket, so, good luck to them.

I guess it would be up to the parents to make a judgement call on whether to send their kid/s to either a fully accredited, or a non-accredited school here. I do not have young children here, so, I do not know if the various International Schools on Phuket are actually internationally accredited and administering an accredited foreign cirriculum, or not.

500 USD.. 300 GBP..

Thats a per day salary requirement not per month !!

Just because you may have done well for yourself, it's a bit pointless putting your personal aspirations in to a thread like this! How many people let alone young adults earn £300 per day?

For your input to be of any benefit it needs to be realistic. Are you telling people they shouldn't raise kids in Phuket, because if they raise them in the UK they will be earning over 60K per year at a young age?

Obviously, a degree from a university like this one in Thailand http://www.au.edu/ is internationally recognised. However, you will find many public Thai Universities are not internationally accredited, therefore, a degree from those universities is not worth much, outside of Thailand.

Similarly, an education at a school such as this one http://www.shrewsbur.../home/home.html is also recognised in order to gain admission to a university abroad. However, you will find an education from a public Thai school will not be recognised for overseas university admission. Of course, as mentioned previously, you can "pay up front" to get your child into university in certain countries.

I would hate to think of the cost of sending a child to either one of the above, but there are many wealthy people on Phuket, so, good luck to them.

I guess it would be up to the parents to make a judgement call on whether to send their kid/s to either a fully accredited, or a non-accredited school here. I do not have young children here, so, I do not know if the various International Schools on Phuket are actually internationally accredited and administering an accredited foreign cirriculum, or not.

Yes the British International School does offer the IB diploma which is recognized by universities around the world. (I just copied and pasted the info from there website)

At BIS in 2010

• 38 students undertook the IB Diploma, 35 passed the Diploma successfully.
  • Average points obtained was 32 out of a total of 45
  • Average grade obtained was 5 out of 7
  • Highest Diploma points was 43

Similarly, an education at a school such as this one http://www.shrewsbur.../home/home.html is also recognised in order to gain admission to a university abroad. However, you will find an education from a public Thai school will not be recognised for overseas university admission. Of course, as mentioned previously, you can "pay up front" to get your child into university in certain countries.

Yes the British International School does offer the IB diploma which is recognized by universities around the world. (I just copied and pasted the info from there website)

At BIS in 2010

• 38 students undertook the IB Diploma, 35 passed the Diploma successfully.
  • Average points obtained was 32 out of a total of 45
  • Average grade obtained was 5 out of 7
  • Highest Diploma points was 43

Didn't even know there was a British International School on Phuket. Just googled it and was impressed with what's on their website. If I had young kids on Phuket, I would have no problem sending them there, based on the information on their website.

http://www.bisphuket.ac.th/

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much a year it is to send a child there?

A particular part of their website to take note of is the "Tertiary Desinations" section. It states which countries the graduates of Class 2011 are going to for university.

Edited by NamKangMan

As for teaching english, it's sad that a well educated, degree qualified, young adult, is doing the work that any backpacker could do with a 1 month TESOL or TEFL Course. Pay is anywhere from 30,000 to 40,000 baht per month. Ok money here, but nothing by western standards. I would say, that as an adult, it's their decision as to where and what they do, so, now out of the control of the parents.

GeekFreakLover, can I ask, where do you see your kids in 10 or 15 years time? The questions are pretty much the same I put to HKP in the other thread.

2) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 then go to a uni in the west and then live and work in your home country?

3) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 then go to a uni in the west and then come back to Thailand to live and work?

4) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 and then you will set them up in a business?

6) after they finish uni, if they decide to live and work in your home country, will you stay there or come back to Phuket/Thailand.

If this is the question you wanted me to answer then quite simply I can't. I can start it off by saying, Yes, they will be born in Phuket because that's already happened. I can say they will probably be educated in Thailand until they are 18, because their schooling hasn't started yet and the decision isn't finalised. I can't give you any answers after that because it's completely unknown.

All I can say (and I've said it to you about 7 time already so not sure why you aren't comprehending it) is that if they want to go to Uni in the West then I will make it happen. If I need to move back to the UK with them to make it happen I will.

After Uni or whatever training they decided to do, if there isn't any work on Phuket for them and they want to live in Phuket then that will be tuff. They will have to work in the West and come back to Phuket when they can afford to. Again if I need to live in the UK during this time to support them because they aren't ready to be completely on their own or more likely because I wouldn't want to be that far away from them then that's what will happen.

If I'm wealthy enough to support them in Phuket and they want to just stop there for a while maybe start a business or work in the diving industry or something then I would be happy for them to do that.

Basically it's completely unknown but the options are plenty. Instead of going around in circles, why don't you point out what parts of what I'm saying you disagree with or won't work for some reason. Because all you are doing is asking the same question over and over again and I'm giving you the same answer each and every time.

Didn't even know there was a British International School on Phuket. Just googled it and was impressed with what's on their website. If I had young kids on Phuket, I would have no problem sending them there, based on the information on their website.

A particular part of their website to take note of is the "Tertiary Desinations" section. It states which countries the graduates of Class 2011 are going to for university.

tongue.png Are you winding us up?

You are having this conversation without even knowing about the BIS? Have you heard of PIA by any chance?

NKM I thought you'd lived in Phuket for years how could you possibly not know about the British International School?

tongue.png Are you winding us up?

You are having this conversation without even knowing about the BIS? Have you heard of PIA by any chance?

NKM I thought you'd lived in Phuket for years how could you possibly not know about the British International School?

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I knew it was here, but have never been inside the building, and I do not know any parents of the children who attend there, or any staff. So, I have no information, or reviews/opinions about the school. I also do not have the need to research the place as I do not have young children on the island.

The "tongue in cheek" point of that post is, it's similar to the International Schools in Bangkok and, if you can afford it (hence, my sarcastic "cost" question) it would provide an internationally recognised education for your kid/s, which, ideally, all 50/50 kids should be getting because, in my own opinion, their employment opportunities and earning capacity is limited on Phuket, and Thailand in general.

Actually, and I'm being serious now, does anyone know what it does cost to send a kid to the BIS on Phuket?

Edited by NamKangMan

If this is the question you wanted me to answer then quite simply I can't. I can start it off by saying, Yes, they will be born in Phuket because that's already happened. I can say they will probably be educated in Thailand until they are 18, because their schooling hasn't started yet and the decision isn't finalised. I can't give you any answers after that because it's completely unknown.

All I can say (and I've said it to you about 7 time already so not sure why you aren't comprehending it) is that if they want to go to Uni in the West then I will make it happen. If I need to move back to the UK with them to make it happen I will.

After Uni or whatever training they decided to do, if there isn't any work on Phuket for them and they want to live in Phuket then that will be tuff. They will have to work in the West and come back to Phuket when they can afford to. Again if I need to live in the UK during this time to support them because they aren't ready to be completely on their own or more likely because I wouldn't want to be that far away from them then that's what will happen.

If I'm wealthy enough to support them in Phuket and they want to just stop there for a while maybe start a business or work in the diving industry or something then I would be happy for them to do that.

Basically it's completely unknown but the options are plenty. Instead of going around in circles, why don't you point out what parts of what I'm saying you disagree with or won't work for some reason. Because all you are doing is asking the same question over and over again and I'm giving you the same answer each and every time.

Great, it only took me asking you about 7 times for you to answer. :)

So, all I have to say is, enjoy your holiday on Phuket. Will you be posting from the UK? :) :) :) :)

Great, it only took me asking you about 7 times for you to answer. smile.png

Re read the threads. The answer I just gave is the exact same answer I've been giving since the discussion started, you just chose to brush over it several times.

So, all I have to say is, enjoy your holiday on Phuket. Will you be posting from the UK? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

You will have to elaborate on this assumption if you want me to take it seriously!

As much as I enjoy your input, I honestly can't take someone's opinion seriously, who was discussing raising kids in Phuket without knowing there was a BIS on the island.

Edited by HongKongPhooey