Culinary Adventures

Stan42

So I'm sure many of you are aware that Thailand offers a wide variety of exotic foods, most of which Westerners would be reluctant to eat. I'm currently on a culinary adventure, trying out as much as possible. It would be great if any of you could provide information about places where to find these rare foods. I'm extremely interested in the infamous Fugu blowfish sushi. In return, here are some of minelicklips.gif :

Brains

Samong Moo Thai Tham

28/1 Phraeng Phuton Rd., 02-221-7612. Open Mon-Sat 7am-2pm.

There are 2 vendors in the Soi. Choose the one with a blue bowl and pictures of celebrities.

Ox cock and <deleted>

Pow Tiem Heng

Food Court, 6/F, MBK

Cod Sperm

Kubpo Hanako

113/1 Thonglor Soi 13, 02-712-6371/2. Open daily 5pm-midnight.

Unfortunately they only offer these from November to January.

Crocodile, Wild Boar, Ostrich, Frogs and Turtles

Can be found at the Emporium supermarket, frozen food section, opposite of fresh fish.

Bug Carts

Famous for Thailand, they're found nearly everywhere after the Sun goes down, from Khaosarn to Pat Pong to Soi Cowboy.

Various offal

Intestines, hearts, livers, kidneys, and other internal organs of pork/beef can be found at nearly every supermarket. Terminal 21 offers great offal soups.

Dogs

Haven't been there yet, but they're apparently abundant in a town called Ta Rae, through some shady soi's.

Shark Fins and Fish Maw

Fish maw is pretty much found on the menu of any Thai seafood restaurant. The cheapest shark fins sofar I got from the food court at Central World.

Pidgeons, Sheep

Can be found at the Neferititi restaurant near Soi Nana.

Lamb

Can be found in almost every Middle Eastern restaurant.

So, anybody got an idea where I can find (apart from pet stores vampire.gif in Chatuchak) places to expand my culinary adventures? Snakes, cats, lizards, etc.? wai.gif

Deepfried Tree Frog:

Found many years ago stumbling down Sukhumvit in the early hours.

A mate and I only wanted to try one each, but for 20 B the street stall seller insisted we had a whole bag. In a drunken hunger, they tasted fantastic. I'd like to try them again !

Dancing Shrimp:

The shrimp are still alive as lemon sauce is poured on them. They 'dance' in your mouth.

I've never tried them and don't know where to get them.

Tor-Deaow, An-Deaow: (one animal, one part).

Rather tasteless, nonetheless, Not an enjoyable experience !

Thai friends got it from a market for me to try (bunch of fookers !!)

Dung Beatle...

I saw this on Discovery Chanel food show... Not for me !

Edited by richard_smith237

Thailand offers a wide variety of exotic foods.

A little ethnocentric isn't that?

Most of these foods are not exotic in Thailand.

However some of your list is not local. Fugu blowfish sushi perhaps traveling to Japan would offer a better choice for this dish.

I'm trying to imagine how hungry I'd have to be before I'd say to myself "Gee, that cod sperm looks good". Maybe someone tried it on a dare once with alcohol being the chief enabler.

It's not a dare, it's an adventure! Hence I'm looking for sources.

I'm trying to imagine how hungry I'd have to be before I'd say to myself "Gee, that cod sperm looks good". Maybe someone tried it on a dare once with alcohol being the chief enabler.

I've never been one for these fancy foreign foods, but

I've searched everywhere for spiced offal in a sheep's stomach, but alas in vain.

Dried pig's blood's a challenge as well.

If you see any, let us know...

SC

• Like 1

I've never been one for these fancy foreign foods, but

I've searched everywhere for spiced offal in a sheep's stomach, but alas in vain.

Dried pig's blood's a challenge as well.

If you see any, let us know...

SC

I don't know about getting dried pig's blood, but if there's any way to dry or dehydrate yourself, Makro sells bags of it very cheaply.

There is also a restaurant on Sukhumvit Road, between Pattaya and Na Jomtien that specializes in game meats, and may have some fairly exotic stuff. It's at a major intersection (maybe Chayapruk) but I can't remember which one. Perhaps another forum member knows the place and can tell us exactly where it is (and what they have).

a burger...served from a hand cart at the entrance to the Nana Entertainment Plaza should satisfy anyone's requirement regarding exotic food exposure in Thailand...

Vincent to Jules in the famous 'royale with cheese' burger scene in the film 'Pulp Fiction': 'an' you can get a burger from a handcart in BKK, at the entrance to where everyone goes to get laid...'...Jules: 'I'm goin', I'm goin'...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

a burger...served from a hand cart at the entrance to the Nana Entertainment Plaza should satisfy anyone's requirement regarding exotic food exposure in Thailand...

Vincent to Jules in the famous 'royale with cheese' burger scene in the film 'Pulp Fiction': 'an' you can get a burger from a handcart in BKK, at the entrance to where everyone goes to get laid...'...Jules: 'I'm goin', I'm goin'...'

What's in the burger?

Oh and I found pigs blood: Tesco. Who would have known?