Eight Red-Shirt Leaders In Khon Kaen Jailed And Fined Bt29 Million

webfact

Eight red-shirt leaders in Khon Kaen jailed and fined Bt29 million

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Court of Appeals on Thursday found eight red-shirt leaders guilty for torching a Bangkok Bank branch in Khon Kaen in connection with the political disturbances in 2010.

The high court sentenced the eight to serve a jail term ranging from half a year to one year and six months and imposed a fine of Bt29 million for property damage.

The prosecution of the eight focused on arson attack against the bank as the local red shirts had become unruly following the crowd dispersal at Ratchaprasong intersection in Bangkok on May 19, 2010.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-15

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They violated the law but they did nothing wrong.

What happens if they can't pay the fines?

Just how many Red Shirt leaders does it take to torch a bank these days. If they can't pay the fines they can apply for a grant for services rendered from D.L. in Dubai.

The 8 Red Shirts who lost their appeal today are:

Chaiyong Thurapee, 18 months prison, 8.3 Million Baht fine

Veerapat Chaichanda, 6 months prison, 1.8 Million Baht fine

Suthas Singbuakhao, 12 months prison, 5.3 Million Baht fine

Adisai Wiboonseth, 12 months prison, 5.3 Million Baht fine

Suchart Rakchanda, 6 months prison, 3.5 Million Baht fine

Banchong Kamhongsa, 6 months prison, 3.5 Million Baht fine

Parichart Poonokyung, 12 months prison, 5.3 Million Baht fine

Udom Kammoon, 6 months prison, 3.5 Million Baht fine

All the defendants confessed and all had their prison sentences halved because of it.

The fines were restitution/compensation for the extensive damage their arson did to the bank.

The arson was committed AFTER the Red Shirts in Bangkok declared an end to their protest.

Edited by Buchholz

All the defendants confessed and all had their prison sentences halved because of it.

The fines were restitution/compensation for the extensive damage their arson did to the bank.

The arson was committed AFTER the Red Shirts in Bangkok declared an end to their protest.

Oh boyo. AFTER makes all the difference.

The incitement to arson and destruction free-pass expires when the boss say it's over....

Too bad you missed the memo. Bye bye.

Edited by animatic

There goes another 29 MB. This government will fund a project so they can skim 29MB from the treasury.

I'm with the impression that it was more a situation of the 29 million going to Bangkok Bank for restitution for the damage repair.

Additionally, contrary to the OP's title, these 8 guys weren't "Leaders" and I'd be surprised if they had 29 baht amongst them, let alone 29 million, so the money aspect is moot.

Bangkok Bank customers will end up footing the bill for rehabilitating the destroyed building.

Edited by Buchholz

Just another indication of how little value Thaksin has in his cannon fodder red shirts. "July 2010, as the Red Shirts became more violent, a leader in exile jubilantly stated to ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) Lateline that the movement was now being funded with substantial amounts from outside – non-Thai – sources".

Hundreds of millions of US$ have been donated to fund Thaksins..... “We’re working with him in his capacity as a private citizen and supporting some media outreach to support his efforts to return to Thailand.” The globalists are pushing for a “color revolution” in Thailand as they have in many other states, including those engulfed by the present tumult in North Africa and elsewhere". http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2011/06/22/thailand-red-power-or-money-power/2/

With all this cash laying around you would think the rank and file would get a taste.

Never let it be said that Thai justice is not delivered swift and sure... drunk.gif

Look what happened in comparison with the guys who torched CentralWorld in BKK.

Posted 2011-12-01 16:14:09

Six Sentenced to Jail in Red-shirt Unrest Case

Bangkok's South Criminal Court has handed down a six-month prison sentence to six red-shirt defendants for violating the Emergency Decree but dropped the charges of arson and looting of the Central World shopping mall during last year's unrest.

Bangkok's South Criminal Court has handed down a six-month prison sentence to each of the six red-shirt defendants charged with robbery, resisting arrest, looting and arson at the Central World shopping mall in Bangkok during last year's unrest on May 19.

The defendants were also charged with illegal possession of firearms and violation of the Emergency Decree for organizing unlawful assembly of three or more people and obstruction of justice.

The court dropped most charges even though the defendants were arrested at the crime scene because the prosecutor has failed to produce evidence showing that they have committed the crimes as accused.

Also, no stolen items were found on them except for some cellphone batteries and a mobile phone recovered from one of the defendants who was a security guard of the shopping mall.

The court has also ruled that there is no evidence showing that the M-60 ammunition found at the scene actually belonged to the defendants.

However, they were still found guilty of violating the Emergency Decree and sentenced to a one-year jail term.

The sentence was commuted to six months because they pleaded guilty. [Other articles said they were freed upon the court's ruling because they had already served six months in custody by the time their case was concluded].

Meanwhile, the security guard was handed down three years and six months in jail sentence for theft. Other charges against him were dismissed.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-01

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

They violated the law but they did nothing wrong.

What happens if they can't pay the fines?

Just how many Red Shirt leaders does it take to torch a bank these days. If they can't pay the fines they can apply for a grant for services rendered from D.L. in Dubai.

"Just how many Red Shirt leaders does it take to torch a bank these days".

One to hold the lighter and 7 to turn the building? huh.png

• Like 1

8 Red Shirt Leaders? Another example of political bias sh1tting over journalistic integrity from The Nation.

Identifiable red shirts clearly shown up as having done wrong? Call them Red Shirt Leaders!!!!

Nice going, Nation. You just brainwashed another few farangs into a state of hard-line, misinformed anti-red sentiment. Just as planned.

8 Red Shirt Leaders? Another example of political bias sh1tting over journalistic integrity from The Nation.

Identifiable red shirts clearly shown up as having done wrong? Call them Red Shirt Leaders!!!!

Nice going, Nation. You just brainwashed another few farangs into a state of hard-line, misinformed anti-red sentiment. Just as planned.

Totally correct, my dear chap. These eight are not just common red-shirt, or even UDD leaders. No, not at all. These were just the red-shirts leading other red-shirts in torching a BBL branch.

One can't be too precise in ones accusations.

Never let it be said that Thai justice is not delivered swift and sure... drunk.gif

Bangkok's South Criminal Court has handed down a six-month prison sentence to six red-shirt defendants for violating the Emergency Decree but dropped the charges of arson and looting of the Central World shopping mall during last year's unrest.

Bangkok's South Criminal Court has handed down a six-month prison sentence to each of the six red-shirt defendants charged with robbery, resisting arrest, looting and arson at the Central World shopping mall in Bangkok during last year's unrest on May 19.

The defendants were also charged with illegal possession of firearms and violation of the Emergency Decree for organizing unlawful assembly of three or more people and obstruction of justice.

The court dropped most charges even though the defendants were arrested at the crime scene because the prosecutor has failed to produce evidence showing that they have committed the crimes as accused.

Also, no stolen items were found on them except for some cellphone batteries and a mobile phone recovered from one of the defendants who was a security guard of the shopping mall.

The court has also ruled that there is no evidence showing that the M-60 ammunition found at the scene actually belonged to the defendants.

However, they were still found guilty of violating the Emergency Decree and sentenced to a one-year jail term.

The sentence was commuted to six months because they pleaded guilty. [Other articles said they were freed upon the court's ruling because they had already served six months in custody by the time their case was concluded].

Meanwhile, the security guard was handed down three years and six months in jail sentence for theft. Other charges against him were dismissed.

tanlogo.jpg

Oh dear, they didn't torch centralworld, thats the point.

• Like 1

There goes another 29 MB. This government will fund a project so they can skim 29MB from the treasury.

Never mind, they'll probably all get a 7.5million Baht compensation package for being the victims of political struggles.

Totally correct, my dear chap. These eight are not just common red-shirt, or even UDD leaders. No, not at all. These were just the red-shirts leading other red-shirts in torching a BBL branch.

Indeed.

And since my post led you to act by posting here, I guess The Nation would have me down as a 'TV Leader'. I suddenly feel an added sense of responsibility to my important role here.

Edited by hanuman1

Indeed.

And since my post led you to act by posting here, I guess The Nation would have me down as a 'TV Leader'. I suddenly feel an added sense of responsibility to my important role here.

Sorry to say it will probably be an honorary position (i.e. no financial compensation), but the feeling of added sense of responsibility is reward enough in itself I assume.

Indeed.

Sorry to say it will probably be an honorary position (i.e. no financial compensation), but the feeling of added sense of responsibility is reward enough in itself I assume.

I fear that my own feelings about my new position would be quite lost amid the conflicting attitudes among the general (farang) public towards what it is to be a TV Leader and indeed about TV itself. In fact, I'm thinking about retiring already. I don't need all this extra pressure, man. They don't even know me!!!

Edited by hanuman1

Indeed.

I fear that my own feelings about my new position would be quite lost amid the conflicting attitudes among the general (farang) public towards what it is to be a TV Leader and TV itself. In fact, I'm thinking about retiring. I don't need all this extra pressure, man. They don't even know me!!!

You disappoint me, old thing. For a wee moment I thought you did this out of an altruistic attitude. With any pressure only what you felt rather than what others applied or tried to apply.

Indeed.

I fear that my own feelings about my new position would be quite lost amid the conflicting attitudes among the general (farang) public towards what it is to be a TV Leader and TV itself. In fact, I'm thinking about retiring. I don't need all this extra pressure, man. They don't even know me!!!

You disappoint me, old thing. For a wee moment I thought you did this out of an altruistic attitude. With any pressure only what you felt rather than what others applied or tried to apply.

Aww. I bet you say that to all the left-wing/liberal/maoist/red/fascist/Thaksin/terrorist/communist/PTP - loving posters on this forum.

Edited by hanuman1
  • Like 1

I'm with the impression that it was more a situation of the 29 million going to Bangkok Bank for restitution for the damage repair.

Additionally, contrary to the OP's title, these 8 guys weren't "Leaders" and I'd be surprised if they had 29 baht amongst them, let alone 29 million, so the money aspect is moot.

Bangkok Bank customers will end up footing the bill for rehabilitating the destroyed building.

I'm sure there will be as much chance of the 13 PAD leaders paying AOT the 522 million baht they were ordered to by a civic court - mind you, they probably could afford it.

tanlogo.jpg

Oh dear, they didn't torch centralworld, thats the point.

Funny, that is what the article says...

Ruling says reds must do time

The Nation

KHON KAEN: -- The Khon Kaen Appeals Court yesterday reversed suspended jail sentences for eight red-shirt protesters who burned a Bangkok Bank branch in the northeastern province during the political mayhem of 2010.

The court sentenced them to serve prison time and pay Bt36.5 million in compensation to the bank.

The seven men and one woman were found guilty of trespassing and causing property damage at the Pracha Samoson branch on May 19, 2010. The Criminal Court had suspended the one- and two-year jail terms for the eight defendants due to their confessions and the fact that they had been misled during the political turmoil to commit the arson attack.

The Appeals Court said it decided not to suspend the sentences because the crime could be copied in the future and that would cause confusion in society and possibly harm to innocent people.

One defendant was sentenced to 18 months in jail; four received terms of six months; and three were sentenced to one year.

One was ordered to pay Bt8.3 million to the bank, one to pay Bt1.8 million, three to pay Bt5.3 million each and three to pay Bt3.5 million each.

The eight convicted red shirts appeared disheartened upon hearing the verdict. They were released on bail pending appeal to the Supreme Court.

Dozens of fellow red shirts attended the session but no leaders were spotted.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-16

Yes, all of them confessed. That`s how they do it in this country. If you don `t confess you get the maximum, don`t matter if your gulity or not. Same as some other very low standard countries.