Red Shirts To Mark 2nd Anniversary Of Protests

webfact

Red Shirts to mark 2nd anniversary of protests

image_201203161704481AF77A2D-D240-0B3C-8EBC51C69FCADB8F.jpg

BANGKOK, March 16 -- The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) or the Red Shirt movement will hold ceremonies next month to mark the 2nd anniversary of its protests against the then Abhisit administration at Democracy Monument and Ratchaprasong intersection, UDD Chairperson Thida Thavornseth said here Friday.

Ms Thida said that the merit-making ceremony and activities would be held April 10 to commemorate the deaths of fellow red shirts killed in the clash with government troops at Khok Wua intersection on Rachadamnoen Avenue, near the Democracy Monument on April 10, 2010.

She said that on May 19, the UDD will hold activities at Ratchaprasong, Bangkok's prime business and shopping zone, to mark the 2nd anniversary of the May 19 protest clampdown.

The UDD chairperson urged retailers and shop owners in the Ratchaprasong area to adjust their work and sales hours in anticipation of a mass gathering of Red Shirt supporters and ease its impact on their trade.

The 2010 protests started peacefully in mid-March but turned deadly with sporadic grenade attacks and shooting incidents. The May 19 military operation forced them to end their protest.

More than 90 people, mainly civilians, were killed in street clashes.

Riots in the protest areas were followed by arson which destroyed or damaged more than 30 buildings, including high-end shopping mall CentralWorld. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-03-16

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ms Thida said that the merit-making ceremony....."

Well blow me, the red-shirts now akin Thaksin to Esan Buddhist practices..... hum?

The UDD chairperson urged retailers and shop owners in the Ratchaprasong area to adjust their work and sales hours in anticipation of a mass gathering of Red Shirt supporters and ease its impact on their trade.

Shut up shop, in case there is a riot?

----------

"The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) or the Red Shirt movement "

Always makes me laugh, and cringe, when I read UDD. Democracy against Dictatorship? They're having the last laugh aren't they?

Thaksins, both of the leaders in the sense of the words 'dictators', have no idea about what democracy is. Democracy to them is 'line our pockets first based upon your gullibleness' to believe in our false hopes and promises, and then when what we say goes, and you hook line and sinker to what we say with gratitude, believing that we will deliver our promises to you.

IT SUCKS! they SUCK! They are out for trouble, just as TS is in Laos, and it's all set for a bloody hell again.

Thanks to you personally, you red-shirt democratics! :'(

-mel

• Like 2

"Ms Thida said that the merit-making ceremony....."

Well blow me, the red-shirts now akin Thaksin to Esan Buddhist practices..... hum?

Shut up shop, in case there is a riot?

----------

"The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) or the Red Shirt movement "

Always makes me laugh, and cringe, when I read UDD. Democracy against Dictatorship? They're having the last laugh aren't they?

Thaksins, both of the leaders in the sense of the words 'dictators', have no idea about what democracy is. Democracy to them is 'line our pockets first based upon your gullibleness' to believe in our false hopes and promises, and then when what we say goes, and you hook line and sinker to what we say with gratitude, believing that we will deliver our promises to you.

IT SUCKS! they SUCK! They are out for trouble, just as TS is in Laos, and it's all set for a bloody hell again.

Thanks to you personally, you red-shirt democratics! :'(

-mel

whoah, MEL1, calm down a bit guy. You're going to blow a gasket.

Ms Thida said that the merit-making ceremony and activities would be held April 10 to commemorate the deaths of fellow red shirts killed in the clash with government troops at Khok Wua intersection on Rachadamnoen Avenue, near the Democracy Monument on April 10, 2010.

May I suggest to include ALL who lost their lives during the April 10th 2010 violence? Including the Japanese reporter and six army personel?

• Like 1

Two years on and the Red Shirts are still sticking it to the local merchants.

:bah:

• Like 2

Justice has not been served on all the guilty parties, a few red shirts are viewing from behind bars but that apart the people that gave orders akin to assassinating nurses(think they were unarmed) in a temple are walking round scott free. lets get the dirty washing out in the open and until we do lets support the remembrance of 91 dead souls as a way of not letting it fade into darkness and hide our heads in the sand (normal military reconcilliation).

I dont see anybody of note doing any bird but I can see we are heading for a huge trade off with the return of the most popular man the ultimate prize. Anybody fancing a jolly to Laos to meet the messiah

Justice has not been served on all the guilty parties, a few red shirts are viewing from behind bars but that apart the people that gave orders akin to assassinating nurses(think they were unarmed) in a temple are walking round scott free. lets get the dirty washing out in the open and until we do lets support the remembrance of 91 dead souls as a way of not letting it fade into darkness and hide our heads in the sand (normal military reconcilliation).

I dont see anybody of note doing any bird but I can see we are heading for a huge trade off with the return of the most popular man the ultimate prize. Anybody fancing a jolly to Laos to meet the messiah

Anyone fancy to know who lobbed all those grenades on non-red-shirts?

Perhaps Thida could explain how to "adjust their work and sales hours" to "ease its impact on their trade." Not that she actually gives a rat's, then or now.

Locking the shutters and borrowing a few extra fire extinguishers might be a start.

I'd consider selling some cheap rice cakes laced with laxatives.

• Like 2

Perhaps Thida could explain how to "adjust their work and sales hours" to "ease its impact on their trade." Not that she actually gives a rat's, then or now.

Locking the shutters and borrowing a few extra fire extinguishers might be a start.

besides gucci & prada, most of the stores / vendors will do a "booming" business that day. I'm sure they'll be making good money.

B)

besides gucci & prada, most of the stores / vendors will do a "booming" business that day. I'm sure they'll be making good money.

cool.png

Your optimism is coloured by your red glasses. Aren't the same businesses claiming damages due to loss/inability to trade from 2 years ago?

Did you actually get any where near that little shemozzle?

• Like 1

wow, ...

"flames of hate"

"redshits"

"ignorance and stupidity", & this gem,

"they suck"...

All in just 3 posts about an article on merit-making ceremonies to commemorate people who died in Thailand's worse political violence in 20 years...

Glad you guys aren't in charge of reconciliation.

cool.png

Yes, that's bevause these posters understand that the true intent has nothing to do with merit-making, rather it has lots to do with opportunisim. Also to my way of thinking if these red people were good buddhists or true buddhists they would understand and follow the precepts which the reds, and Thaksin and his cronies, largely ignore. Honesty or rather, not lying, is one of the most important precepts. Theft is another. All the anti-posters agree that this whole scenario is "here we go again".

• Like 2

wow, ...

"flames of hate"

"redshits"

"they suck"...

All in just 3 posts about an article on merit-making ceremonies to commemorate people who died in Thailand's worse political violence in 20 years...

cool.png

Perhaps you weren't here during the 2010 riots when these peaceful protesters tried to burn down Bangkok.

I WAS.

If they really wanted reconcilliation then they would permanently disband and cease all this anniversary BS.

The courts would find the leaders guilty of terrorism and lock them up for the rest of their lives and treason charges would be filed against some of them, including Thaksin.

Until such time as Thais are held accountable for their actions, Thailand will remain a third world country.

How far back with this "accountable for their actions" do you want to go, 1932? Seemingly there is one group of Thais that are consistently never held responsible for their actions.

How far back with this "accountable for their actions" do you want to go, 1932? Seemingly there is one group of Thais that are consistently never held responsible for their actions.

Hi-So, the well-connected, politicians of any party, etc., etc.

Now back to "Red shirts to mark 2nd anniversary of (peaceful) protests".

cool.png

Your optimism is coloured by your red glasses. Aren't the same businesses claiming damages due to loss/inability to trade from 2 years ago?

Did you actually get any where near that little shemozzle?

ah come on, at least I thought you'd like or comment on my joke. It was completely lame... :)

Yes, I know that corner of BKK pretty well - at least for someone who's not a BKK resident. I usually stay just around the corner from the Erawan Shrine.

And yes, I happened to be there during a red shirt demonstration 2 1/2 months after the crack down. Looked like business was good that day. Maybe not for Gaysorn, but for pretty much everyone else...

wow, ...

"flames of hate"

"redshits"

"they suck"...

cool.png

Yes, that's bevause these posters understand that the true intent has nothing to do with merit-making, rather it has lots to do with opportunisim. Also to my way of thinking if these red people were good buddhists or true buddhists they would understand and follow the precepts which the reds, and Thaksin and his cronies, largely ignore. Honesty or rather, not lying, is one of the most important precepts. Theft is another. All the anti-posters agree that this whole scenario is "here we go again".

Ianf, WADR, I am not certain those posters meant that.

Secondly, people around the world commemorate those who have died, and usually on an anniversary date. This is normal.

The other comments about good / true buddhists & lying / theft is using a broad brush stroke to paint everyone the same color as, say Thaksin.

The five precepts usually begin with "don't take life". That has happened all too often in the past years. Those deaths are what they are trying to respect.