Using 4Wd In The Wet - Or Not

Sophon

I am still considering whether the pick-up I am about to buy should be 2wd or 4wd. Realistically I will seldom be on (or off) roads where 4wd will be a necessity, but it would still be nice to have for that rare occasion. But on the other hand there is the added cost of buying and maintaining a pick-up with 4wd.

But I have read that 4wd mode also makes it safer driving on very wet roads, and with the weather here in Thailand very wet roads are a fact of life. But how much of a difference does 4wd make on wet roads? Do you shift to 4wd mode on your pick-up when the going gets tough (wet)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sophon

Used to use 4WD in the wet in Canada .. ( no it ain't always snowing) ....not sure if made a difference really but after a dry spell the roads anyplace are greasy.

Here in Thailand it is possible get stuck on greasy mud in market parking areas and on our farm it is not hard..lol.

So have ordered a 4x4 which I expect to be delivered about the time of the second coming....violin.gif

I grew up in Michigan, where it snows sometimes 6 months of the year. We considered you a wimp if you drove with 4 wheel drive unless you were stuck. Stupid thinking, I know. Realistically, I never drove with 4wd unless it was in the slickest conditions or the snow was nearly a meter high and the snow plows had not come through. When I lived in Florida, similar weather to Thailand, and now here in Thailand, I have never for a second thought I needed 4wd. My truck has it, but I didn't consider that in my buying decision.

If you don't have an actual need for 4wd, like living on a farm or towing other vehicles, I would not recommend it. There is the cost. Maintenance is very minor, just running with 4wd engaged in 4 High and 4 Low for a few minutes each once per year is enough to move the fluids around and keep things lubricated. I have never had to service any of my 4wd components, like the transfer case or the differential. Do you really think that you will need it more than once a year, if that?

Edited by floridaguy

Do you really think that you will need it more than once a year, if that?

For getting out when stuck in the mud, probably not. That's why I asked if 4wd is helpful and makes it safer to drive in (very) wet conditions. If so I could see myself using the 4wd mode quite often.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Sophon

For getting out when stuck in the mud, probably not. That's why I asked if 4wd is helpful and makes it safer to drive in (very) wet conditions. If so I could see myself using the 4wd mode quite often.

Sophon

Had the same as trans without the bling laugh.png but no joking it was good to use in the wet, very reasuring, use to use it in the dry as well going to MaeSot on the mountain roads because you never knew if there was a wet piece of road around the corner.

Used it 6 times as well for getting out of 4 muddy places and 2 times pulling people out, 1 struck in her drive and 1 getting stuck parking on the side of the road. smile.png

There are places now I just do not go but I am much happier with a front wheel drive car, I wouldn't mind having a front wheel drive truck if they did em.

Edited by Kwasaki

Sophon

For driving on wet rural muddy roads 4wd can come in handy. Slow down though

For driving on wet paved roads, no. Unless it's an all wheel drive type 4 wheeler you shouldn't be driving at highway speeds with the four wheel drive engaged. Any manual with a 4wd vehicle will tell you the appropriate conditions for use.

Sophon

Had the same as trans without the bling laugh.png but no joking it was good to use in the wet, very reasuring, use to use it in the dry as well going to MaeSot on the mountain roads because you never knew if there was a wet piece of road around the corner.

Used it 6 times as well for getting out of 4 muddy places and 2 times pulling people out, 1 struck in her drive and 1 getting stuck parking on the side of the road. smile.png

There are places now I just do not go but I am much happier with a front wheel drive car, I wouldn't mind having a front wheel drive truck if they did em.

Bling shock1.gif

• Like 1

Sophon

For driving on wet rural muddy roads 4wd can come in handy. Slow down though

For driving on wet paved roads, no. Unless it's an all wheel drive type 4 wheeler you shouldn't be driving at highway speeds with the four wheel drive engaged. Any manual with a 4wd vehicle will tell you the appropriate conditions for use.

Yeah !! your right but I must have driven at least 20,000 kilos or more in 4W vigo no problemo's at all, would take it " off " in town driving though.

Tight steering angle on frontwheels of these type of 4W trucks can be pain on transfercase I know but I'd rather be safe in the wet than worry about the transfercase,

On wet highways you don't do a lot of turning but I still used it on the maesot mountain road whether it was dry or not.jap.gif

Locking rear differentials are good if have a 2wd truck and most of them didnt, i remember that was one of chevy's point of differentiation from the dmax it rebadged...i drove a ranger 2.2 last week up a steep incline at angle and lost traction. The first rain after awhile can be the most risky but in general i just take corners with more respect and slow my speed down, never any fishtailing or issues so never used my 4wd before, though it came in handy offroad. AWD is a great assistance in the wet though, drove an impreza which maintained great pose and traction throughout.

Agree with Transam. I use the 4wd if it is raining hard but my present tires, Nitto Dura Grappler, are also so much better in the wet than the standard Bridgestone Duelers that are downright lethal. And 4wd is invaluable at the time you got yourself stuck somewhere where the nearest tractor or 4wd is 10km away. Is it worth it? For me, yes. I do not use it often but when I need it, it would have been real pain in the arse not to have it. You need to think about how you use your pickup and where and think a bout situations you may find yourself in.

• Like 1

I use the 4WD on the Vigo in bad weather ('water) conditions and it does make a difference. jap.gif

Knowing that the 4WD mode of the MU-7 is not to be used on 'normal' dry pavement, what tell-tale indications of any mechanical / operational damage will be noticed if someone happens to drive a MU-7 in 4WD (high) mode on 'normal' dry pavement, let's say, up to 3 times a month?

Are the 4WD (High) systems in the MU-7 and the Vigo different? Couldn't the MU-7 safely drive in 4WD mode on pavement during 'constant down pours'?

PS: Posted a similar question in a topic before coming across this topic.....violin.gif

If you want safety then buy the 4x4. As soon as there is the slightest rain i wack my Pajero in to 4 wheel drive especially if it hasn't ralned for a while as the Cane Trucks seem to leave oil everywhere and the roads are like black ice. Mitsubishi had a good illustration on their website showing what drive selection to use on what type of road conditions and also say that acceleration is quicker in 4 wheel drive but breaking distances remain the same don't forget. I hate to think how many times i've watched pickups slide or spin off the road in front of me in greasy conditions and my Pajero in 4 wheel drive is still hanging on even though the origional tyres have now done 80,000 kl and are getting a bit thin on it and in 2 WD the back slips out at the hint of rain. I've ordered a new set of Michelin Latitude Cross tyres for it. These are made in Poland not Thailand like the Latitude HP or Bridgestones that are currently on the car so i hope that they don't get the tread or sidewall cracking that are talked about and evident after a couple of years. I will have to wait and see if they are as quiet as the highway spec tyres as Michelin profess and that they hang on much better in all conditions as my research suggests, So go with the Best Grip You Can Get, 4x4 and Tyres.

If you want safety then buy the 4x4. As soon as there is the slightest rain i wack my Pajero in to 4 wheel drive especially if it hasn't ralned for a while as the Cane Trucks seem to leave oil everywhere and the roads are like black ice. Mitsubishi had a good illustration on their website showing what drive selection to use on what type of road conditions and also say that acceleration is quicker in 4 wheel drive but breaking distances remain the same don't forget. I hate to think how many times i've watched pickups slide or spin off the road in front of me in greasy conditions and my Pajero in 4 wheel drive is still hanging on even though the origional tyres have now done 80,000 kl and are getting a bit thin on it and in 2 WD the back slips out at the hint of rain. I've ordered a new set of Michelin Latitude Cross tyres for it. These are made in Poland not Thailand like the Latitude HP or Bridgestones that are currently on the car so i hope that they don't get the tread or sidewall cracking that are talked about and evident after a couple of years. I will have to wait and see if they are as quiet as the highway spec tyres as Michelin profess and that they hang on much better in all conditions as my research suggests, So go with the Best Grip You Can Get, 4x4 and Tyres.

I still have 2 Michelin Cross terrain tyres on my 4x4 Vigo now in their fifth year huh.png , no cracking, no side wall rubber dust. Michelin Thai guarantee their tyres up to a possible 9 years ohmy.png . cowboy.gif

I still have 2 Michelin Cross terrain tyres on my 4x4 Vigo now in their fifth year huh.png , no cracking, no side wall rubber dust. Michelin Thai guarantee their tyres up to a possible 9 years ohmy.png . cowboy.gif

Thanks Terry, the warranty is one of the reasons i decided to go with them but you must send in a warrenty card within 7 days i believe. How do they perform,as good in the wet as they say and how about road noise, they advertise that they are as quiet as their highway tread patterns. The Michelin Recommended retail price for Latitude cross is 7,690 baht each but i had 1 dealer in Khon Kean try me at 8,800 baht. The Mitchlin Guy in Mukdahan after trying to up the price a little on the Latitude HP, then did a complete turn around and gave me the Latitude cross for 7,500 baht each after i pulled him into line by showing him the Recommended retail prices which really surprised me, so i ended up with a better price than i was chaseing, so it sometimes does pay to check prices and shop around.

Mine are 265/70 x 16 Cross Terrain, as supplied when motor was new, not Latitude.

Cost 5300bht each few months back.

They are very quiet on the street, no noise at all but off road not much grip in muddy conditions, but l expected from the tread design, cos the ride is 4x4 then no problem but if it was a Prerunner l would have been in deep doo doo a couple of times. Good tyre for the use of your motor.

I use the 4WD on the Vigo in bad weather ('water) conditions and it does make a difference. jap.gif

1. Knowing that the 4WD mode of the MU-7 is not to be used on 'normal' dry pavement,

2. what tell-tale indications of any mechanical / operational damage will be noticed if someone happens to drive a MU-7 in 4WD (high) mode on 'normal' dry pavement, let's say, up to 3 times a month?

3. Are the 4WD (High) systems in the MU-7 and the Vigo different?

4. Couldn't the MU-7 safely drive in 4WD mode on pavement during 'constant down pours'? PS: Posted a similar question in a topic before coming across this topic.....violin.gif

Sorry for dividing your post I just think it's the best way to get ans over.

1. The MU-7 is not supposed to be used in 4W on 'normal' dry pavement, the vigo 4w is not supposed to be either.

2. Don';t know about MU-7, the drivetrain would start to get noisey on a vigo, then you will know it has been damaged.

I don't know about " trans " driving dry but I did in a Vigo a lot of the time for 5 years and nothing was apparently wrong at all on the last service check.

3. I wouldn't say the same but similar.

4. Al I can say is if I had a MU-7 I would drive in 4W on wet roads, rather than the hit-the-fan.gif .smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

1. Knowing that the 4WD mode of the MU-7 is not to be used on 'normal' dry pavement,

2. what tell-tale indications of any mechanical / operational damage will be noticed if someone happens to drive a MU-7 in 4WD (high) mode on 'normal' dry pavement, let's say, up to 3 times a month?

3. Are the 4WD (High) systems in the MU-7 and the Vigo different?

4. Couldn't the MU-7 safely drive in 4WD mode on pavement during 'constant down pours'? PS: Posted a similar question in a topic before coming across this topic.....violin.gif

Sorry for dividing your post I just think it's the best way to get ans over.

1. The MU-7 is not supposed to be used in 4W on 'normal' dry pavement, the vigo 4w is not supposed to be either.

2. Don';t know about MU-7, the drivetrain would start to get noisey on a vigo, then you will know it has been damaged.

I don't know about " trans " driving dry but I did in a Vigo a lot of the time for 5 years and nothing was apparently wrong at all on the last service check.

3. I wouldn't say the same but similar.

4. Al I can say is if I had a MU-7 I would drive in 4W on wet roads, rather than the hit-the-fan.gif .smile.png

Me too.

Because my 2007 has limited slip diff back and front, if l am on dry pavement then l can feel wheel hop at times. The reason you cannot or should not drive on dry roads is that there is no ''slipper'' box to transfer loads diagonally. The rear does it's thing and the front does it's thing. On a ''real'' 4x4 it is a very different set up.

Me too.

Because my 2007 has limited slip diff back and front, if l am on dry pavement then l can feel wheel hop at times. The reason you cannot or should not drive on dry roads is that there is no ''slipper'' box to transfer loads diagonally. The rear does it's thing and the front does it's thing. On a ''real'' 4x4 it is a very different set up.

And the difference between the MU-7 and the Fortuna I take it, don't know about MU's.

Me too.

And the difference between the MU-7 and the Fortuna I take it, don't know about MU's.

I don't no either but if they say no dry use then it is a truck angry.png , but we know the MU7 is a truck in disguise eh. hit-the-fan.gif

• 3 weeks later...

When should one use 4 high vs low and should you be in a complete stopped and neutral position to shift between one or the other?

4WD can be engaged/disengaged under 80kmph. The 4WD low is purely for steep off road gradients and is engaged when stationary.