Building A Better English Or Foreign Language Program

I would like to share with you some suggestions that I feel will create more honest and open communication between Thai teachers and Foreign teachers in order to build a better English or Foreign Language Program for both students and teachers.

1. Challenge Negative Thoughts. We should teach students to recognize and confront negative thoughts that challenge their belief in their ability to do something.
  2. Teach Goal Setting. We should understand how to help the students create a goal and keep them motivated while pursuing the goal.
  3. Notice and Analyze Behavior. Parents along with teachers, both Thai and Foreign, have to work together as a team to identify behavioral strategies that will bring about a better outcome with the students.
  4. Use Sincere Praise. We should praise the students who use integrity to bring about success.
  5. Provide Opportunities for Improvement. We should give students new and challenging opportunities to increase their skills, and help them try different ways to achieve their goals.

• Like 1

Apparently you have never taught in a thai school because you're two main prerequisites for this earth shattering advice are not to be found here, those being honesty and open communication. I suggest you go to your nearest school and explain these profound conclusions you have came up with. You will def get some cold water or tea and lots of smiles for your suggestions while they fidget around in their seats thinking when will farang go away lol.

• Like 1

Apparently you have never taught in a thai school because you're two main prerequisites for this earth shattering advice are not to be found here, those being honesty and open communication. I suggest you go to your nearest school and explain these profound conclusions you have came up with. You will def get some cold water or tea and lots of smiles for your suggestions while they fidget around in their seats thinking when will farang go away lol.

I'm pretty sure that they'll also give you some advice to pssi fof.............jap.gif

Well here is an update………….. I have presented the originally posted observations along with simple remedies well over 100 times to parents, teachers, and school associations. The majority of my explanations have been rejected on the grounds that I am not Thai, I do not understand the Thai mindset, Western people and Thai people view honesty and integrity differently, and, the best for last, the parents object to their children becoming more confident in themselves for the fear of disrespect. I have not found much merit in the received responses as well as I have not been able to validate the unreasonable connections.

I am continuing to be hopeful in reaching the hearts and minds of those that ask for help to become globalized citizens… hit-the-fan.gif

There is a slow process of discovery going in the country. They are finding out that in many areas, the Thai education system just isn't keeping up with international standards. Thai Students from fairly early on are not doing as well as could be expected.

Thailand will have to wake from it's nightmare of education, shake off it's fear of the Western-oriented ghosts and then move forward.

Your ideas will be easier to swallow once this happens.

• Like 1

There is a slow process of discovery going in the country. They are finding out that in many areas, the Thai education system just isn't keeping up with international standards. Thai Students from fairly early on are not doing as well as could be expected.

Thailand will have to wake from it's nightmare of education, shake off it's fear of the Western-oriented ghosts and then move forward.

Your ideas will be easier to swallow once this happens.

You deserve my fellow foreign teachers and I to buy you dinner for your supporting response clap2.gif

Hmmm where to start.....

We are in Thailand. All I see here is posters blaming thais - the students, the culture, the system.

Traditional educational thought tells us that the only thing we have power over is our own teaching practices, do I see any sense of responsibility from you guys around building a better foreign language program?

This is a challenge to reflect on your own teaching. The blame game will not change one little thing.

Instead of using the classroom to impose uniquely western ideals on the students, why don't we attempt to understand this culture and work within it's boundaries?

Who knows..... If we examine our own impulse to (eg) confront negative thoughts instead of blindly assuming it's veracity we might actually grow as individuals.....

Yes, I am a teacher here, taught for many years in my own country and in other countries around the world.

Yes, I run a successful classroom where a lot of learning takes place.

This is not a bitch or a flame ok, I'm just pointing you in the right direction - the place you have the power to change...

Not necessarily true.

I know a number of schools where you are restricted in what and how you can teach. To give you an example, at one, the students are not allowed to read in class from their book. What is to be read must be written on the board for all to read. That doesn't provide much time for getting down to the 'learning' part of a lesson.

Some schools do not have CD/Tape players. Some schools do not allow teachers to bring computers to the school, so a listening exercise, song, etc. is limited to your ability to perform.

Some schools insist that all students must be given time to finish all work in class--thus the entire class will accomplish only what the slowest student can accomplish.

This is how you move from excellence down to mediocrity.

Not necessarily true.

I know a number of schools where you are restricted in what and how you can teach. To give you an example, at one, the students are not allowed to read in class from their book. What is to be read must be written on the board for all to read. That doesn't provide much time for getting down to the 'learning' part of a lesson.

Some schools do not have CD/Tape players. Some schools do not allow teachers to bring computers to the school, so a listening exercise, song, etc. is limited to your ability to perform.

Some schools insist that all students must be given time to finish all work in class--thus the entire class will accomplish only what the slowest student can accomplish.

This is how you move from excellence down to mediocrity.

Yes. It is not easy, yet there are solutions.

Using multi-tiered lesson plans can let all of the students accomplish to their limits, some will gain a richer learning experience.

"No failures" is only what western Schools have moved to in recent decades.

"This is how you move from excellence down to mediocrity."

This is what educators have been saying of every education system in the world, constantly, forever.....

Yes?

(2,260,000 hits on the quote in google).

The challenge is to work excellently in a mediocre system.

Yes, it is a mediocre system, as systems designed for large groups are.....

Thanks for your reply! Good points.

Peter. when you get told off by the management and told to do it their way. you do it their way.

it sounds like you have been lucky to teach at some of the better schools in your career. good luck. you need to understand the difference between venting and actual doing. most all teachers I know try and make a difference against the odds. but the thai system does wear you down after a while.

• Like 1