HarryHacker

The current CC fraud scare is really tiresome... my CC company (Citibank) is getting extremely anal about it. It now won't approve *any* internet transactions unless you call and pre-approve, complete with company name and exact amount.

I have a subscription to an internet service which bills montly, and so I have to go through the same ritual of wasting 15-30 minutes calling 1588 every month to pre-approve it. They say there is no way to pre-approve monthly transactions in advance, and no way to change the system, and that it's for our own protection. Bull****, or they've got some very brain-dead programmers. A major reason that internet shopping/commerce is so attractive is because it's so convenient... add this hassle and it's not that great, we're back in the dark ages once again. They also say that it's temporary, but so far this temporary hassle has been going on for the past year.

I've been using my card for internet purchases for several years without a single problem... at least before they started their fraud protection program. Now I'm more prone to buying retail, *without* the card. Why bother?

I will let you know how I get on, by the way, I have sent a very strong email to Global Collect complaining about their new procedure..... :o

... could I possibly, convince you to mail Scype to consider not to impose each and every security mesure on the same persons.

Some time ago, I could load 25 Euro on my account at a time. Now, I can only load 10 Euro at a time. That load, I spend in about 3-4 days, meaning I have to go to my bank (very, very early) 1-2 times a week and each time spend/waste 30-45 minutes and waste 160 bahts in order to pay Skype those 470 bahts?

Tell them, that they have a bunch of competitors coming up, who provides better means of payment.

Edited by rishi

... Some time ago, I could load 25 Euro on my account at a time. Now, I can only load 10 Euro at a time. That load, I spend in about 3-4 days, meaning I have to go to my bank (very, very early) 1-2 times a week and each time spend/waste 30-45 minutes and waste 160 bahts in order to pay Skype those 470 bahts?

Rishi,

Are you saying, even at the bank you can only load 10 Euros??? I was planning on loading up 100 Euros or more so I don't have to do this bank-run thing.

... don't know much. My experience amounts to my opposition when I try to fulfill my dreams.

Don't think anyone, anywhere, anykind can load more than 25 Euro Skype credits at a time. Don't think anyone, anywhere, anykind located in Thailand can load more than 10 Euro Skype credits at a time.

If I am wrong, I'll be very thankfull to whoever tells me how to do it.

... don't know much. My experience amounts to my opposition when I try to fulfill my dreams.

Don't think anyone, anywhere, anykind can load more than 25 Euro Skype credits at a time. Don't think anyone, anywhere, anykind located in Thailand can load more than 10 Euro Skype credits at a time.

If I am wrong, I'll be very thankfull to whoever tells me how to do it.

That just seems bizarre. I can understand them taking a tough line on credit cards because there really is a lot of credit card fraud out there. What is difficult to understand is why they wouldn't take any amount of money you offered them using a secure method, i.e. bank transfer. Making you go to the bank twice a week is just ludicrous.

That just seems bizarre.  I can understand them taking a tough line on credit cards because there really is a lot of credit card fraud out there.  What is difficult to understand is why they wouldn't take any amount of money you offered them using a secure method, i.e. bank transfer.  Making you go to the bank twice a week is just ludicrous.

... agreed, completely, unconditionally..... But, what can we do?

I believe:

1) We cannot make them skip their general (online) ban on Thailand.

2) We can convince them, that whoever reciding in Thailand (at least), manage to make a payment, would be a very, very utmostly secure customer

….well my small Siam Commercial Bank branch here in BKK did not recognize the CITIBANK account info so I could not pay through them. Anyway, as I had to get a new Re Entry chop at Immigration and with the CITIBANK branch is just around the corner so in I went and paid direct into the given bank account.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the credit into my Skype.

Still no answer from Global Collect.

...well still no credit from my Bank Transfer, however, they now seem to have a change of heart as the old payment gateway is back online, yes, now we can pay by Credit Card again!!!!!!!!

Just bought 25 Euro by credit card but still owed 25 Euro by Bank Transfer.

watch this space~!

There doesn't seem to be any logic to Skype (or Global Connect). As a previous poster said, they take the first payment no problem, but then with me and him they refused a second one using the same card.

I hate Paypal, so ended up using their Moneybookers option. It was a pain to set up, and I had to give them info on both my UK and Thai bank accounts, but now it works fine. I just transfer 10 Euros a time from my UK bank account to it on-line. It's similar I guess to the way Paypal works.

I'd guess my big BIG mistake was giving Skype my Thai address, and the same to Visa. When my Visa card came up for renewal they told me that they were unable to send the card to Thailand and my account of 25 years would be closed. So now I've reverted to using my sister's address in the UK. I do all the billing/payments on-line anyway. I can't get a Thai credit card anyway because I don't have a Thai work permit, as if that has anything to do with your credit worthiness. I don't have a Thai work permit because I don't work in Thailand, just bring money into the country from overseas. But that doesn't count.

Other people I know who have no connection to Thailand have had the same credit card problem. One spent a great deal of time tracking down one of the managers at an office in London and called him (using Skype!!!) but never got more than an answering machine and no reply to e-mails. And that is before the company sold out.

Having said all that, the system is fantastic. As a frequent traveller I use it a great deal for business and private calls and there are rarely any problems. As an early poster said, you now don't have to even think about the cost of a call. A long way from when I was a teenager in the UK and no-one in the house was allowed to use the phone even for local calls until after 'cheap' rate kicked in after 6pm.

BEWARE!

On December 20 I paid directly at Citybank Branch in Satorn

10$ to to Global (Skype). Remarked user name/ref # on the pay-in slip

Until now amount (after 9 days) NOT credited into my skype account.

All mails regarding this matter to skype remain unanswered.

They simply IGNORE IT!

Guess I will now switch to net2phone or SIPphone.

I don't understand what seems to be the problem here, I always use my thai credit card to buy skype credit and so far never had problems, i just purchased 10 euros worth of credit last week.

I always have all the payment options listed in my payment page.

I hope this is not a case of phishing going on. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Up-date

Still no credit for my cash payment made on the 21st December to their account at CITIBANK. I did get a reply from Skype asking for payment details a few days ago. Time will tell I guess.

‘Luckily’ they had since accepted the Credit Card payment again, so I have the best part of 20 Euro credit and when they finally get around to giving me the cash credit I will have another 25 Euro credit. That should see me OK for a month or so.

I don't understand what seems to be the problem here, I always use my thai credit card to buy skype credit and so far never had problems, i just purchased 10 euros worth of credit last week.

I always have all the payment options listed in my payment page.

I hope this is not a case of phishing going on. :o

No sir, its not a case of pissing!

Just go to the Skype forums and you will see that Skype and Global Collect have F**ked up big time!