Thoughts On Falang Going A Little Overboard On The "Thai-Ness"?

submaniac

Who really wants to be Thai ??...hands up ??

I dun see any..

I'd think many of the posters who dribble on and on about lack of rights, lack of security, restrictive visa and work permit regimes, illegibility to own land, etc etc might be interested.

he said "really wants to BE thai "

not just to be a farang with thai like equality

You cannot have the rights of a Thai national without holding Thai nationality. One would think that would be fairly obvious.

yes ,but theres a differnce is being granted thai citizenshio as a farang (which may be desirable to some ) :)

and being born into a thai family and having a thai education ,thai mindset and everything else thai, that posters here like to critisize constantly

i think many people would take the first ,but not so many readers here would volunter for the 2nd

bit like wanting the best of worlds,the social benefits of being a farang with the legal rights of being a thai :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, best of both worlds -- if you believe that the "farang mindset" is intrinsically superior to the "Thai mindset" (whatever that is).

i like being a hand-summ mann :B

and i wouldnt swap my education for a thai one

also many thais lack common sense and rational ability to evaluate any given situtaion

farang land is far from perfect,but it does have some things i wouldnt swap with thai equivalents

Anyplace where farangs come from

Doesn't really help much...or do you think France is the same as Italy, Germany, Brazil, Kazakhstan...

It's a big area you're trying to define here....

Well, duh. That's why these "Thais have less common sense than farangs" type of discussions are so ridiculous.

PS: Kazakhstan is classified as khaekdom, even though it has many ethnic Russians who are farang.

Anyplace where farangs come from

Doesn't really help much...or do you think France is the same as Italy, Germany, Brazil, Kazakhstan...

It's a big area you're trying to define here....

Well, duh. That's why these "Thais have less common sense than farangs" type of discussions are so ridiculous.

PS: Kazakhstan is classified as khaekdom, even though it has many ethnic Russians who are farang.

If geography is being used as a measure as to the degree of common sense a nationality has, then would suggest the vast majority of the population of the US lack common sense then, as geography is typically not their strong point...LOL

Edited by Soutpeel

I saw a couple of Farang once on the BTS in Bangkok speaking Thai to each other and I thought that was a bit odd, however I was introduced to an old german guy the other night and he didn't speak english and I certainly can't speak german so we ended up talking in Thai, that was out of necessity though, not for show.

There are reasonable reasons for this. Maybe they both speak better Thai than English? There are a great many Farangs who don't speak great English. For them it must be imperative to learn Thai immediately so they will speak better Thai than most Farangs. Speaking a foreign language with another foreigner is not an appaling way to practice either. Clearly not as good as with a native but not bad as long as you do not start copying the way they speak. I personally would not do this on the bts though, and not really at all in Thailand considering how easy it is to find natives to talk to.

-OKS

My young Thai GF is not being Thai enough. The old one is fine but I am having problems with the young one. Her Thai writing is completely messed up and her speech is laced with Western words and Thai slang like, “chimmy chimmy.” I keep telling her that she is loosing her Thainess. It isn't chimmy it is chi my! I have given her a last warning. If she does not become more Thai, it's back to college and this time without the bribes. And I am going to send her to a religious school that still uses a cane!

My young Thai GF is not being Thai enough. The old one is fine but I am having problems with the young one. Her Thai writing is completely messed up and her speech is laced with Western words and Thai slang like, "chimmy chimmy." I keep telling her that she is loosing her Thainess. It isn't chimmy it is chi my! I have given her a last warning. If she does not become more Thai, it's back to college and this time without the bribes. And I am going to send her to a religious school that still uses a cane!

just save the money and cane her yourself ;)

I'm not Thai, I'll never be Thai and I don't want to be Thai. I don't go out of my way to act Thai in my village. I don't go to Thai weddings or funerals. I don't wai people. I drink beer out of a big bottle and don't use a glass. I'm just myself and have no intention of ever changing.

I have been criticized for speaking Thaiglish to my Thai wife. Talking is for communication and whatever works best is the best. There are some people who absolutely butcher and misspell the Queen's English. The Queen would be appalled with the poor spelling and grammar used by some of her subjects.

I can assure you that Thaiglish is absolutely necessary when speaking to people who have strong accents. My wife often asks me what the farang said. I have to tell her that I don't know because I didn't understand either. I once went to dinner with a Welsh girl, an Aussie and an Irishman. Supposedly we all spoke English but no one actually knew everything that was being said.