Heathrow Airport

gamini

Those who think Suvanabhumi is bad. Read my story;

I was booked on a BA flight to Sweden and told it would leave from heathrow terminal 3?. The shuttle bus dumped us there and left. All I saw was a sign that my flight was diverted to terminal 4?. No one around, no transport or shuttle. There were about a dozen other angry passengers and it took us sometime to to find a harried ground hostess who could explain how to get to terminal 4?. She pointed to the terminal which was just visible in the distance and suggested we walk there about 400-500 yards away! Half way there, was an approach runway in our way and we had to take a large cargo lift and go down and walk under the runway. However the lift operater was not there and we could not operate it ourselves since it had a special key. Eventually the lift operator came after about 10 minutes and said he was sorry to keep us waiting but he had gone to have his lunch.!! Time was running out and it was hard work lugging our luggage all this way. Finally we got to the check in counter and on the monitor I saw that the flight was on time. This meant that I would not have time for my planned lunch. I went straight to the exit gate, about another 10 minutes walk with no food facikities on the way. When I arrived at the boarding gate area there was as sign that the flight was delayed 30 minutes. Not enough time to get back to the teminal for lunch. I complained to the BA ground hostess as to why the TV monitor did not show that the flight was delayed and she said that the monitors were out of order. On the plane all I got was a tiny soggy sandwhich.

Compared with Heathrow I love Suvanabhumi

I've always loathed Heathrow and prefer Gatwick but hey; seems you missed the fact that there is an underground train runs between Terminal's 3&4. You probably missed the signs because it isn't signed particularly well but I've never heard of anyone having to leg it before. Better luck next time if you have to use this Godforsaken Cattle Station they call an Airport.

Sounds as if the problem lies with the airline and not the airport,if you travel frequently from Heathrow have access to one of the dozens of lounges and actually know where you are going it makes for a pleasant experience,free trains within the terminal,pod trains from the business car park see below,it's light years ahead of Swampy.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=E5SchtSQcvY

I feel sorry for you, but don`t you think you should not judge by an involvement in a single occurence?

So if we turn this around, I have never had a problem at Heathrow, should I say that is "The best airport in the world"?

Once again, I understand your situation but your judgement is fallacious. I have had a couple negative experiences at Suwarnabhumi. Broken down luggage belt, delay with luggage (almost an hour), others complain about hour long queues et cetera.

and to Haru Haru, I do hope you are joking or just forgot to take your pills today. So it is time to take on the management at Heathrow and get improvements implemented.cool.png

ALL bus transport within the boundary roads of LHR is free. There are plenty of free shuttle buses running between the terminals throughout the day and night. Here is the link to the page on Heathrow's website.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/travel-between-terminals

@dundee007 Heathrow an old airport? Maybe, but it has been constantly modernised throughout its life. T5 opened in 2008 making it FAR more modern than Swampy. It even has the ULTra automatic car system between the parking and the terminal building (like Total Recall). How much more modern do you want?

Everything in the OP's is a crock of sxxx.....

Believe me I'm no lover of Heathrow but statements for example that T4 can be seen from T3 400 metres away border on I don't know what !!

I dont remember the exact terminals we went to and departed thats why I put a question mark against them. There was no underground train and if we had had to wait for the next shuttle bus we we might have missed our flight.

Its signposted EVERYWHERE from T3 and you sure as hell wouldn't walk even without bags.

Its a good 10 minutes on a shuttle bus and a good 3-4 minutes on the underground train, Dumped at T3 ?? You mean you got off the bus at your intended destination ?? Shall I go on ??

I dont remember the exact terminals we went to and departed thats why I put a question mark against them. There was no underground train and if we had had to wait for the next shuttle bus we we might have missed our flight. My post is absolutely correct

Believe me I'm no lover of Heathrow but statements for example that T4 can be seen from T3 400 metres away border on I don't know what !!

I dont remember the exact terminals we went to and departed thats why I put a question mark against them. There was no underground train and if we had had to wait for the next shuttle bus we we might have missed our flight.

Its signposted EVERYWHERE from T3 and you sure as hell wouldn't walk even without bags.

Its a good 10 minutes on a shuttle bus and a good 3-4 minutes on the underground train, Dumped at T3 ?? You mean you got off the bus at your intended destination ?? Shall I go on ??

I dont remember the exact terminals we went to and departed thats why I put a question mark against them. There was no underground train and if we had had to wait for the next shuttle bus we we might have missed our flight. My post is absolutely correct

There IS a train. It simply wasn't pointed out to you.

I've always loathed Heathrow and prefer Gatwick but hey; seems you missed the fact that there is an underground train runs between Terminal's 3&4. You probably missed the signs because it isn't signed particularly well but I've never heard of anyone having to leg it before. Better luck next time if you have to use this Godforsaken Cattle Station they call an Airport.

I have to agree about Gatwick. With the rail link and all I prefer it to LHR. But sometimes we have to go via LHR.

It might have been terminal 2, not 4. To walk to 4 would mean leaving the airport.

The train in question might be the London underground tube system. That has a seperate stop for T4.

But if you are unaware of this and have been dropped in the wrong area and in need of getting to T4 then asking as you did would be the correct way, even if the info you were given was incorrect.

To some others - we do not ALL know our way around strange places, that is why we ask and hope to be given the correct information. When in a hurry signs are not always as easy to see as when we have plenty of time.

The train in question might be the London underground tube system. That has a seperate stop for T4.

But if you are unaware of this and have been dropped in the wrong area and in need of getting to T4 then asking as you did would be the correct way, even if the info you were given was incorrect.

To some others - we do not ALL know our way around strange places, that is why we ask and hope to be given the correct information. When in a hurry signs are not always as easy to see as when we have plenty of time.

The Heathrow Express acts as a free shuttle to terminal 4. You couldn't walk it. You would have to walk halfway round the airport perimeter. Terminal 1 is closed, so it would have to be 2.

I feel sorry for you, but don`t you think you should not judge by an involvement in a single occurence?

So if we turn this around, I have never had a problem at Heathrow, should I say that is "The best airport in the world"?

Once again, I understand your situation but your judgement is fallacious. I have had a couple negative experiences at Suwarnabhumi. Broken down luggage belt, delay with luggage (almost an hour), others complain about hour long queues et cetera.

and to Haru Haru, I do hope you are joking or just forgot to take your pills today. So it is time to take on the management at Heathrow and get improvements implemented.cool.png

I have been flying out of Heathrown since 1946 & almost every year after that. Heathrow has always struck me as shabby, inefficient, indifferent service, expensive and tasteless food. Long queues, inadequate seating etc. It was always a third calss airport when I compared it with some of the others.

What I wrote was true. But I could not remember the two terminals in question. The first one I went to was very small and definitely no underground train service

In spite of Suvanbhumi's shortcomings the staff everywhere are always more helpful than any other airport I have come accross

What I wrote was true. But I could not remember the two terminals in question. The first one I went to was very small and definitely no underground train service

Of all the problems heathrow may have , because it's an old airport , immigration isnt one of them, (unless you include waving foreigners through without passport checks at peak timesgiggle.gif ). having 5 terminals makes the difference. Swampy is one big swamp

Edited by KKvampire

• London Heathrow terminal two is closed. - being rebuilt. Terminals four and five are just not walkable from any other terminal. Your terrible story must concern terminals one and three. They are walkable along well signed routes with moving walkways in tunnels. You must have been given the worst possible advice.
    You must admit LHR has been improved since 1946. Even terminals have now been built; in 1946, you must have used tents. Don Mueang was open well before that.
    LHR carries more international passengers than the total number of passengers using Swampy. In total, it carries one and a half times as many passengers.

So you get the tube back to Hatton Cross, walk across the platform and wait for a tube to T4, I think you are going over the top a bit, had a bad experience thats not the fault of the airport, still you find yourself in a bad situation and you have to find your way out of it, not always easy I grant you and often when you look for help there is none around, had that at KL but you have to get on with it. Heathrow was the first International Airport I believe so it was not built from scratch last year, some bits are not going to be the latest but it does function, well that what I have found anyway.