Over 1 Million Thais Are Infected With Hiv/Aids

Lite Beer

Sus - 25% in 30-34 yr old group. Why this segment has the most? You would think it would be more spread between late teens to early fifties

I'm guessing here, and I'd be very interested in the demographics - but at 30-34yrs old Thai men are coming into there own in terms of personal wealth and can finally afford to go down the local beer bar, get drunk, then bang the bar girl ..... the majority of this of course hapening "upcountry", where they are sadly quite ignorant (or oblivious) to the dangers.

I would guess that there are more men than women in this age category. Stat's are also probably somewhat distorted by the fact that one infected hooker could easily infect 10+ blokes in a month and not even know she has it herself ...... when you consdier 1 in 3 thai men visit a brothel of some description at least once every 6 months...... and probably cant afford to do so until they are in the 30-34 age bracket.

I would think that these blokes, who would be seen to be more financially stable at whatever tier of society they are at, are then attractive catches for the young non-sex worker girls..... who in the hopes of luring an older richer bloke will be inclined to go bare-back, maybe get pregnant to secure him, and so on ...... meanwhile, he'll he out screwing as many easy rides as he can get.

To that end, I would bet the majority of infected men are 30+, period. While the age range will vary more widely for women - with the younger ones being non-sex workers, infected by older men that got infected in brothels.....

Figures.

My current and previous girlfriends had no clue about contraceptives and STDs.

When I first came here 20 years ago every girl insisted on condom use for fear of HIV. Now they all say they don't like condoms and don't want me to use one. And I'm not talking about hookers here, but girls you would consider educated and with an ability to think about the future.

The 20-25 age group in particular seem to have no fear of HIV at all.

Quite a few sexpats here who don't even bother with condoms. Hope they get tested. I have no idea how somebody could do that to themselves. They must be mad.

• Like 1

i guess educating the yought about the dangers of sex and given the right protection (in stead of plastic bag or premature (lol) getting in out thinking they will not get pregnant)...

how much of the 300.000 hookers have it ?

Reading the article it seems like the 1 million figure is those currently identified as infected, and receiving treatment. It would seem logical that the actual figure of those infected is somewhat greater?

1 in 60 is a very very low number, I've seen reports of between 25-30% of those active in the sex industry. Seeing the extreme stigma attached I'd say at least as many people again know they have it and haven't reported it to the authorities.

Not to mention all those that just haven't yet been diagnosed, still in very early stages.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5%.

as many people pointed out, these numbers are most likely wrong.

1 in every 65 Thais do not have HIV/AIDS.

what these geniuses probably meant is that 1 million cases have been reported - over the lifetime of record-keeping.

• Like 1

as many people pointed out, these numbers are most likely wrong.

1 in every 65 Thais do not have HIV/AIDS.

what these geniuses probably meant is that 1 million cases have been reported - over the lifetime of record-keeping.

No, they mean 1 million currently infected - and most post have been saying that the number is wrong opposite your meaning, i.e. that 1 million cases are the reported/registered ones. Not including a large set of unknown infected.

Worrisome. So every 60th person affected shock1.gif

Reading the article it seems like the 1 million figure is those currently identified as infected, and receiving treatment. It would seem logical that the actual figure of those infected is somewhat greater?

It has to be greater and--judging by how drivers flee the scene of an accident to save face--how much greater could be very scary because if having an accident is losing face, how are infected individuals going to go back and warn sex partners? Then add in the liklihood that a certain percentage in denial will consult fortune tellers in lieu of medical treatment. What are buddhist fortune tellers going to say? If they say anything other than see a doctor it would be fortune malpractice but it could cause them to lose face and customers if they don't tell the customer what they are wanting to hear.

Then you have to add in the culture of statistical reporting as demonstrated by tourism numbers from TAT.

Greater indeed.

Edited by unanimosity

I would assume in the tourist areas it is lower than in the boonies up north and in Isaan. Where it is mostly Thai men doing the business.

You would be fooling yourself. So are those who think that the more expensive girls are less risky than the cheap ones. Or younger safer than older.

A abstinence is safest, long-term monogamy second best. Other than that,

B safe sex practices and C maintaining your general health and therefore your immune system.

No Thais would get AIDS if they played football more often.

Please do not write such sick posts. Try to have respect, just a little bit........jap.gif

You obviously missed the recommendation of what a thai should should they get the urge.

Looking at these stats and the performance of the national team it might not be bad advice anyway.

While not denying the occurrence of HIV/AIDS in Thailand (or any other country), the article (news summary?) originally reported in this thread is vague to the point of being meaningless. "Public Health Minister Wittaya Buranasiri disclosed that HIV/AIDs is an incurable chronic disease of which more than 1 million patients have been reported to be infected."

It's hardly news that "HIV/AIDs is an incurable chronic disease." Nothing there. "...of which more than 1 million patients have been reported to be infected." There is nothing in this statement indicating time period nor even the country referenced. Nothing indicating what percentage of the current population might be infected (could be, but doesn't really say!). Nothing indicating what portion of that infected group may have already died. Little in the way of demographics (though there's some speculation (hardly anything more) about younger people). Nor are there any references cited. In short, as written, this piece should never have been published, anywhere.

Instead, it's accompanied now by several pages of mostly wild as* speculation and hearsay, very little of which is backed up any more significantly than the original "news summary."

It's not that the original news bit is necessarily wrong, nor that any of the posters are either right or wrong. It's that it's misleading and backed up by nothing (no references).

Someone above alluded to the possibility of fear mongering in pursuit of greed. Could be that as much as anything else.

• Like 2

Worrisome. So every 60th person affected shock1.gif

so in theory , it would be double?

So 1 in 30 hahaha? That would be catchy, should start testing tomorrow. So soon the problem is to not have AIDS, once you have it you can stop worry lmao.... Who wants to cure AIDS anyway? Not the ones who claim to try and get there money for it that's for sure! Look at all the money that goes around in it. What happens to fireman if there is never ever a single fire anymore in a building? Hmmmm..

"The government's complacency during the first half of the millennium and subsequent shortage of prevention programmes is thought to have contributed to a lack of awareness of HIV and AIDS. A rise in STI transmission and high-risk sexual behaviour means there is now a fear that the country will witness a second wave of the epidemic.72

Thailand's national strategic HIV and AIDS plan for 2007-2011 shows its commitment to increasing prevention efforts. If fast, effective action is taken, thousands of deaths could be prevented; otherwise, Thailand’s past achievements will soon be forgotten."

The above is a quite from here: http://www.avert.org...nd-aids-hiv.htm

Unfortunately this is true not only for Thailand, but also for most developed countries. After the initial succes with spreading the information about HIV/Aids to the general population, the spreading of the virus declined and everybody relaxed. Every generation need this information or we will see a big increase in infections again.

There is a hidden problem in this, this HIV virus is adapting to its human host and becoming less aggressive, put simply where at one time infection was a one year death sentence, now it is more like 5 to 10 years. Putting this in perspective it means a much longer period of support and medication for those infected.

HIV was never a one year death sentence... in the beginning we had no idea what it was and by the time it progressed to full blown aids, yes, without the meds we have today a year or two was maybe a good life expectancy...but by the time that happened, they had already been infected for many years.

people are living longer simply because of meds and earlier detection. and it's not 5 or 10 years, we're talking 45+ (ie someone at 20 getting hiv and starting meds and taking them properly can expect to live a full life)

Not everybody. Some individuals' immune systems hold up better than others. Some die quickly and some linger on for a while. I hardly call it a good quality life. The cycle if meds they take are really expensive and really hard on the body. Not a normal life by any stretch after treatment begins. That's in the US. Probably get taken down much quicker in countries like Thailand where medicine is less progressive and quality control can be an issue for high dollar rare medications.

Always use a Condom!!!!!!!!

Those enamored of anal sex often tend to dispense with a condom because pregnancy is not an issue. Add to this the reported increased risk due to absorption characteristics of the colon and you have to consider your sex partners carefully and heed the words of philliphn above.

Wonder how many females?

me too: more than males...

Females get routine screening from OBGYN visits or pregnancy prescreening. Seems like males just don't get tested and even one's at high risk or know they have had partners infected with HIV avoid testing and continue to engage in unprotected sex.

When I lived in Chiang Mai the American Red cross gave Free test for 3 full days...I went on the 3rd day and saw where perhaps 100 People ask for there Free test....I ask the Doctor why so few got tested? He answered many Thais Just don't want to know...

More then 30 years this disease has been with us with Billions of Dollars spent on research and still no cure in sight...With the Giant drug companys making hundreds of Billions in Profits I often wonder if the medical field works aggressively in finding a cure?

There were rumors, perhaps reports, back in the 1990s that the HIV stats were intentionally being spun by a health minister in service of building tourism.

Fearful that it was discouraging tourists, a new government in Thailand threatened to scale down the country's extensive AIDS awareness campaign, which had begun in 1991 and won international acclaim. However, the government lost power within weeks and the campaign was restored [source]

Don't recall who was running the government back then.

HIV was first detected in Thailand in 1984 (Limsuwan, Kanapa and Siristonapun 1986). The government was slow to respond to the pandemic and its entry into Thailand. Economic pressures created by the need for tourist dollars and the early low numbers of actual AIDS cases slowed the government's response to the pandemic (Sricharatchanya 1987). [source] Read on at this source, consider the source, and look at the statistics.