Over 1 Million Thais Are Infected With Hiv/Aids

Lite Beer

Thai's and the rest of the world really have no fear of HIV/AIDS anymore. Why, they feel that there will be a cure right around the corner, and there is none. Lots of false rumors going around, fake therapies, but in the end there is always death, then they meet there maker. Though Thai buddists believe they will 'recycle' back in another life and start again.

Death is the final chapter.

Figures.

My current and previous girlfriends had no clue about contraceptives and STDs.

No wonder when schools are forbidden to teach students about sex and how to protect yourself against STDs.

Schools teach about sex, don't they? Wasn't there a post on TV a few years back about a teacher that explained to her class that tigers are male and lions are female?

I still remember the campaign they ran in Australia in the 80's - I think most people around then would recall it too. It had the Grim Reaper (AIDS) bowling people over (ordinary Australians being killed). They were postulating that AIDS could kill as many as 2000 within a few years from when the ad was shown. 2000 seems pretty low compared to the stats in this article.

Not sure why it's so dam_n memorable, but you can check it out

Posts that deny Hivaids exist or is a conspiracy have been removed. Please take the time to read the pinned topic Hiv, Aids And Conspiracy Theories. Any further postings of this nature will be removed.

IMHO, there is overwhelming evidence that HIV is the cause of the fatal immune disease syndrome we call AIDS.

However, I don't believe in censoring honest opinions, which are not off-topic, offensive and/or in conflict with laws and/or rules.

Always use a Condom!!!!!!!!

If people always used condoms then the human race would cease to exist.

The only way to solve the problem is to come up with a cure. Too many people refuse to wear condoms thus spreading the disease.

Figures.

When I first came here 20 years ago every girl insisted on condom use for fear of HIV. Now they all say they don't like condoms and don't want me to use one. And I'm not talking about hookers here, but girls you would consider educated and with an ability to think about the future.

The 20-25 age group in particular seem to have no fear of HIV at all.

Two years ago a 38 year old woman I was dating but had made no commitment to said the same thing to me. I learned later that she believed, correctly in fact, that if she got pregnant by me, I would marry her. She did not know, however, that I had had a vasectomy when I was 35. Being 25 and single, most likely they are also looking to become spouses of farang.

so you had unprotected sex?

Posts that deny Hivaids exist or is a conspiracy have been removed. Please take the time to read the pinned topic Hiv, Aids And Conspiracy Theories. Any further postings of this nature will be removed.

IMHO, there is overwhelming evidence that HIV is the cause of the fatal immune disease syndrome we call AIDS.

However, I don't believe in censoring honest opinions, which are not off-topic, offensive and/or in conflict with laws and/or rules.

They aren't "honest opinions" - an opinion is something based on rational thought and facts

that rate, 1 in 70 infected is not that high at all. Also, many forget the fact that most are MSM and druggies. general, sexually active population must be around 2%, and professional prostitutes not much higher. Certainly below 5% in the case of females. This is because they are aware of the danger. There was a study done that showed that "freelancers" in shopping malls, clubs, etc are actually more likely to have it than the real pros on the street and in soapies and bars.

Edited by shatteredreams
  • Like 1

Normally more females should have it, just because the way it's transmitted. However, the strain most prevalent here allows for an easier transmission to males from females, but this is just one part of the problem. The other is that many men have sex with men here, even those married, or otherwise thought to be straight.

It would be good to know how many of these cases were involving IV drug users. I'm not saying most of them are down to drugs but I am aware that the % of a man getting it from penetrative sex with a women is quite small unless say they have it with them x times....sure i'm not the only 1 who has read this before. That said there does seem to be a lack of awareness. I also think the general way they think about transitioning to their next life after this sort of gives them a feeling of immunity, or perhaps it's just that they don't give a hoot.

The province with the highest rate of AIDS is Chiang Rai, which would surprise most people. For the number of 1 million Thais with AIDS, I would really like to see a breakdown between men and women. I think the ratio would be shocking. There is also a false assumption that if a woman has AIDS, or the the man, that the ratio of risk of transmission is 50/50. That is simply not true. The woman is at far higher risk of getting AIDS from an infected man, than vice versa...

• Like 1

About the same number of HIV infected as in the U.S.A. which has about five times the population. Not good.

This article is wrong.

It's 1 million that HAVE BEEN infected since the beginning of the outbreak in 80s. Not currently have it. Half of those 1 million have already died.

As far as rates compared to the US, the CURRENT new infection rate is roughly the same as the US. Thailand is down to about 10,000 new infections per year, down from over 150,000 per year in the early 90s. The US has around 50,000 new infections per year, so the rate is about equal and will most likely be lower in a few more years.

• Like 1

The statements seem to contradict themselves...Is it one million currently or one million reported since records began 30 years ago..slightly misleading, as if you take away under 18s over 60s that leaves a very large percentage of the population with a problem.

It's one million since records began. The people writing these press releases in English always make mistakes and don't understand what they are writing about.

• Like 1

About the same number of HIV infected as in the U.S.A. which has about five times the population. Not good.

This article is wrong.

It's 1 million that HAVE BEEN infected since the beginning of the outbreak in 80s. Not currently have it. Half of those 1 million have already died.

As far as rates compared to the US, the CURRENT new infection rate is roughly the same as the US. Thailand is down to about 10,000 new infections per year, down from over 150,000 per year in the early 90s. The US has around 50,000 new infections per year, so the rate is about equal and will most likely be lower in a few more years.

References are a good thing to include. Same for all the other posts in this thread.

I think Chalerm Yoobamrung should be promoted or de moted whatever to the position of Public health minister and I am sure he will come up with a no-nonsense sound logical solution to this problem and have HIV / AIDS problem eradicated very quickly almost certainly within a couple of months at the latest.

• Like 1

According to this article , dated 2000, which seems to have a pretty good pedigree, the 1 million is an estimate of CURRENTLY infected individuals. Unfortunately, a specific reference is not given for this statistic, though there is a reference list at the end of the ariticle- most of the references are late 90s, which is appropriate given the date of the article. Also interestingly, the main transmission route cited is heterosexual. The focus of the article is on the birth of children to pregnant, HIV infected women.

This article is wrong.

I think you are incorrect. Stats I have seen reflect Thailand as having around that many cutesy an active cases. The US has about 2x as many active or present cases. Big population difference though. US has a higher rate compared to most developed countries.

This article is wrong.

References are a good thing to include. Same for all the other posts in this thread.

Ok

http://www.thaivisa....1000-this-year/

1,161,244 total infections since 1984, over half have died

10,853 new infections in 2010

Edited by DP25

There is a hidden problem in this, this HIV virus is adapting to its human host and becoming less aggressive, put simply where at one time infection was a one year death sentence, now it is more like 5 to 10 years. Putting this in perspective it means a much longer period of support and medication for those infected.

HIV was never a one year death sentence... in the beginning we had no idea what it was and by the time it progressed to full blown aids, yes, without the meds we have today a year or two was maybe a good life expectancy...but by the time that happened, they had already been infected for many years.

people are living longer simply because of meds and earlier detection. and it's not 5 or 10 years, we're talking 45+ (ie someone at 20 getting hiv and starting meds and taking them properly can expect to live a full life)

Not everybody. Some individuals' immune systems hold up better than others. Some die quickly and some linger on for a while. I hardly call it a good quality life. The cycle if meds they take are really expensive and really hard on the body. Not a normal life by any stretch after treatment begins. That's in the US. Probably get taken down much quicker in countries like Thailand where medicine is less progressive and quality control can be an issue for high dollar rare medications.

i'm talking about the average person... they can expect to live a full (i said nothing about 'normal') life IF taking their meds properly....and yes, obviously the meds would have to meet quality standards

It would be good to know how many of these cases were involving IV drug users. I'm not saying most of them are down to drugs but I am aware that the % of a man getting it from penetrative sex with a women is quite small unless say they have it with them x times....sure i'm not the only 1 who has read this before. That said there does seem to be a lack of awareness. I also think the general way they think about transitioning to their next life after this sort of gives them a feeling of immunity, or perhaps it's just that they don't give a hoot.

not true... 80% of hiv in thailand is heterosexually transmitted (compared to 10% in the US/west) ... the subtype (type e) much easier to transmit through hetero contact...

university of new south wales, aus puts subtype e at a 50 fold higher transmission rate chance than the US (subtype b )..

assuming you're having sex with infected individuals, chance is 1 in 30 to 1 in 50 or so with subtype e as opposed to 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 with the subtype predominant in the US (subtype b )

i suggest you google something to the effect of "hiv transmission heterosexual thailand" to learn more.

Edited by happysanook

Just couldn't be 1 in 60, certainly not 1 in 30 . . .

That would mean we would likely know atleast one or two infected people . . .

With Thai health and selfcare habits, lack of knowledge, lack of community assistance or willingness to follow recomendations from doctors, etc the infected would be dropping like flies . . .

I'm guessing here,..<snip>

I would think...,<snip>

I would bet ....<snip>

I would guess.......<snip>

Stat's are also probably somewhat distorted by the fact that one infected hooker could easily infect 10+ blokes in a month

Please stop guessing and thinking. Your "facts" are way off. Having sex with an HIV+ person does not automatically mean you will be infected. Not even close. The odds of getting infected through unprotected vaginal sex with a person infected with AIDS is 500 to 1. She would need to have sex with 5000 men a month. 166 a day.

--

Add a condom and the odds decrease to 5000 to 1. Condom and not diagnosed HIV+, and non-high risk group is 5 billion to one. So using a condom reduces your risk of infection by a factor of 10 regardless of the risk group of your partner. No brainer.

AIDS odds calculator: http://www.calculato...Calculator.aspx

It's unfortunate that Trojan BareSkin Ultra Thin and similar condoms are not widely available or affordable in Thailand and other parts of the world. I have always wondered if the Thai condom companies have campaigned to keep them out of Thailand. Sad if true. If they were available and affordable I think usage would increase among Thais as it really is almost like wearing nothing at all. Thai condoms tend to be too small for farangs anyway. Unfortunately I don't know there is an answer to the problem caused by the religious nutters that feel condom use goes against God.

AAAADKvDvOQAAAAAAZjmDA.jpg

Using a condom reduces your risk of infection by a factor of 10 regardless of the risk group of your partner. And oh yeah, it also prevents unwanted pregnancy and other STD's. No brainer.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I'm guessing here,..<snip>

I would think...,<snip>

I would bet ....<snip>

I would guess.......<snip>

Stat's are also probably somewhat distorted by the fact that one infected hooker could easily infect 10+ blokes in a month

Please stop guessing and thinking. Your "facts" are way off. Having sex with an HIV+ person does not automatically mean you will be infected. Not even close. The odds of getting infected through unprotected vaginal sex with a person infected with AIDS is 500 to 1. She would need to have sex with 5000 men a month. 166 a day.

seriously suggest you get your facts straight...for the third time in this thread (and 2 posts above yours) -

the prevalent subtype (subtype e) in thailand is NOT THE SAME AS THE prevalent subtype in the WEST (subtype b ). with subtype e, the odds are estimated at between 1 in 30 to 1 in 50 for HETEROsexual intercourse without barrier protection if having intercourse with an infected individual... estimated 80% of HIV cases in thailand are through heterosexual intercourse.

Edited by happysanook

Figures.

No wonder when schools are forbidden to teach students about sex and how to protect yourself against STDs.

Banning then taking condom machines out of schools doesn't seem like a right good decision anymore looking at these alarming statistics...Apparently it sent the wrong 'moral' message having them there!!!

Interestingly, the Switzerland’s Federal Commission for Children and Youth have gone the other direction. The Swiss are now manufacturing and marketing extra small size condoms for kids. Very progressive but I am not sure the name "Hotshot" was well thought out.

http://www.telegraph...witzerland.html

There is a hidden problem in this, this HIV virus is adapting to its human host and becoming less aggressive, put simply where at one time infection was a one year death sentence, now it is more like 5 to 10 years. Putting this in perspective it means a much longer period of support and medication for those infected.

HIV was never a one year death sentence... in the beginning we had no idea what it was and by the time it progressed to full blown aids, yes, without the meds we have today a year or two was maybe a good life expectancy...but by the time that happened, they had already been infected for many years.

people are living longer simply because of meds and earlier detection. and it's not 5 or 10 years, we're talking 45+ (ie someone at 20 getting hiv and starting meds and taking them properly can expect to live a full life)

Not everybody. Some individuals' immune systems hold up better than others. Some die quickly and some linger on for a while. I hardly call it a good quality life. The cycle if meds they take are really expensive and really hard on the body. Not a normal life by any stretch after treatment begins. That's in the US. Probably get taken down much quicker in countries like Thailand where medicine is less progressive and quality control can be an issue for high dollar rare medications.

i'm talking about the average person... they can expect to live a full (i said nothing about 'normal') life IF taking their meds properly....and yes, obviously the meds would have to meet quality standards

Forget beach, hanging out andhaving a margarita on a sunny day on a patio somewhere. Cannot get in sun light. Then worry about catching a cold when out in public that can literally take you down. Not a great life by any stretch of the imagination.

I am not suprised to hear that; and I am sure it must be a lot higher than that...Those are only the reported figures; the key word here is "reported."

AND there is no telling how many people are infected with the Herpes Virus as well. That figure must be double or triple what the HIV/AIDS number.