As Queues At Suvarnabhumi Grow, Airport Debate Rages

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do passengers have to go through immigration to get OUT of LoS? What a waste of time and for what? To see about overstays so they can collect more revenue? Shut down the outbound gates and make them inbound.

I cant think of any other country that does that, why should Thailand?

USA does it incoming and outgoing, every passenger without fail.

They want to know who might be skipping the country or using it as terrorist or crime transit sites.

The US does not do it outgoing. No immigration official checks passports going out. The airlines check passports and maybe their database is integrated with immigration's, but there is no stop at immigration on the way out. Coming in, of course they check.

• Like 2

Why do passengers have to go through immigration to get OUT of LoS? What a waste of time and for what? To see about overstays so they can collect more revenue? Shut down the outbound gates and make them inbound.

They want to know who might be skipping the country or using it as terrorist or crime transit sites.

The US does not do it outgoing. No immigration official checks passports going out. The airlines check passports and maybe their database is integrated with immigration's, but there is no stop at immigration on the way out. Coming in, of course they check.

I am pretty sure they do, although its been a couple of years since I was there. It is no way as time consuming as Bangkok, but I am 99% sure they do it. I know in England they do. Perhaps if you are a US passport holder you do not have to do it.

At 1635 Sunday 18th it took less than 25 minutes from arrival at airport to sitting in Burger King! It was good to see that they have introduced the new queuing system that stops people standing three and four abreast and switching lines. Simple but effective!

I was impressed also. I got to the airport at 2pm, 4 hours ahead of departure time and had to keep busy for 3 and a half hours after getting through immigration...

With a population of 70 million, greater than that of the UK, it stands to reason than expansion of the existing airports and even additional airports will be necessary to accommodate growth. London has Heathrow, plus Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, City and St. Pancras. EasyBus and others offer efficient shuttle services.

What does not stand to reason, is that whatever the government does, this and/or the next, the Thai bashers here will criticise whoever - it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, scenario. Foreigners here expect everything the way they like it, as though there is no one else to consider, and for a fraction of the price 'back home'.

As an interim plan, if moving domestic flights to Don Mueang can take a bit of pressure of Suvarnabhumi, then why shouldn't they. Many of you may be retired, but the world hasn't. All renovations entail some degree of inconvenience. Live with it.

international passengers top 10 -

1. London (Heathrow), United Kingdom: 60.9 million passengers per year

2. Paris, France: 53.15 million

3. Hong Kong: 49.77 million

4. Dubai, UAE: 46.31 million

5. Frankfurt, Germany: 46.3 million

6. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: 45.13 million

7. Singapore: 40.92 million

8. Incheon, South Korea: 32.94 million

9. Tokyo (Narita), Japan: 32.16 million

10. Bangkok, Thailand: 31.41 million

• Like 2

Two issues I have with this thread

1) Where does it mention moving domestic flights to DMK? From the couple of articles I have read it says "low cost carriers". So that would mean ALL Air Asia flights. Want to fly from Ubon to Kuala Lumpur? The change would not effect you. You would never even need to see Suvarnabhumi.

2) Honestly, how many of you guys will this effect? Air Asia is a low cost carrier (and I guess they are saying Bangkok Airways), so I only see this having an effect on people that fly a low cost carrier into Bangkok and then check in to a different airline to take them to Europe/USA. Or you could just fly THAI into Bangkok and not have this problem.

I am pretty sure they do, although its been a couple of years since I was there. It is no way as time consuming as Bangkok, but I am 99% sure they do it. I know in England they do. Perhaps if you are a US passport holder you do not have to do it.

My wife (Thai passport) and I fly in and out of the US west coast all the time. She has never been checked by immigration leaving the US.

• Like 1

With all of Thailand's students that study overseas learning new ways, the ones whom return and enter govt. service, seem to have had little or no impact on the progress of streamlining the airport bureaucracy or any bureaucracy. Many paraellels to the congress of the United States. True, don't need to go through immigration to leave LAX. Airlines record it when they collect your passport.

USA has no out going immigration or customs check.

Edited by gosompoi
  • Like 1

Maybe to catch some Iranian terrorists who explode a bomb in their house and then tried to fled the country by air?

No, they don't.

With all of Thailand's students that study overseas learning new ways, the ones whom return and enter govt. service, seem to have had little or no impact on the progress of streamlining the airport bureaucracy or any bureaucracy. Many paraellels to the congress of the United States. True, don't need to go through immigration to leave LAX. Airlines record it when they collect your passport.

As an expat living and working in Bangkok, you would be amazed at how much more "advanced" my thinking and methodologies are than my Thai colleuges - they acknowlege this and recognise it is a result of my experience in the tougher western world, and my education, and above all experience; however, if we are trying to win work with any state, or state related body - or supremely "Thai" companies that one would associate with Thai nationality such as TV stations, airlines, oil and gas companies, etc. then I have to be hidden from their view ...... if they even get a smell of farangness, the doors are closed because my "westernism" would polute their santimonious "Thai purity".

So don't hold your breath - they are most likely to reject anything oriniginating from outside of Thailand as heresy ..... arogant, ignorant, b'tards.

Default position "mai dai" - ethos akin to "UN is not my father" BS.......

Dont get me wrong, I love living and working here - but the clowns running the show are such idiots it defies belief.

• Like 1

Second airport? not needed - many airports cope with heaps more traffic than Bkk.

THey would do well to look at how they process passports.

Train the officers better and open more gates.

If they do their job properly the queues will disappear.

THey might also look at streamlining a load of petty visa regulations.

Second airport? not needed - many airports cope with heaps more traffic than Bkk. Yeap wink.png

THey would do well to look at how they process passports. Yeap. But they'll conclude their way is the best, and the world should follow. They will of course have to charge the world for teaching this trade secret. ph34r.png

Train the officers better and open more gates. rolleyes.gifyou're kidding, right?

If they do their job properly the queues will disappear. laugh.pngnow I know your kidding, should have got it before.

THey might also look at streamlining a load of petty visa regulations. cheesy.gifok, enough, enough...... now your just being silly!!! tongue.png

• Like 2

This is actually how I came about to know what Thailand was. I went to school with many Thai people and hung out with them. Eventually I traveled over to Thailand and have been coming back ever since.

I can tell you...most of the Thai students I have met come from well to do families. Obviously you have to have A LOT of money to pay for the tuition and living costs in the USA. Just to get the student visa you have to prove that your family has means to pay your way in the USA.

Anyways, it's usually their family that sends them off to the US so they can get the college degree from an American University (same as the Indians/Chinese/etc). They gain some knowledge, hang out with Thai people, graduate, then usually go home to Thailand. They don't magically transform into some American culture expert, or change their thinking of anything really. They just come out with new knowledge and an American degree. They can use that in Thailand to find a better job, or just to make their parents happy.

Since they mostly hang out with other Thai students, their English skills do not really improve, their "cultural awareness" doesn't really change, and their attitudes don't really change. I mean, we are talking about 23 year old kids here. They don't care about that stuff. They just get a degree to make their parents happy, they get to see New York and Las Vegas, and then they get put on the top of the list of job seekers when they go home to apply for jobs.

This is all a generality based on my experiences with dozens of Thai students here in the US. But this is what happened with about 95% of them. Lately some of the female students have decided to marry and stay in the US (very very VERY easy to deal with immigration then).

• Like 1

My wife (Thai passport) and I fly in and out of the US west coast all the time. She has never been checked by immigration leaving the US.

Before you board the airplane, the airline has to forward your information to the DHS.

You are joking right?????!!!!

You ought to get out more. While it's a bear to get in, the US doesn't have immigration check your passport on the way out. The airlines check it at check-in and that's it.

more or less same as UK well Birmingham and Manchester, just a quick look at the passport and thats it, seconds not hours.

The USA does not have immigration lines leaving an airport.

If you depart from Los Angeles LAX. You walk in the Bradley terminal. You go to the ticket counter, they check your passport and issue you tickets. You walk down the hall to the security checkpoint. You take off your jacket, shoes etc. Walk through the metal detector, then you walk to your gate and wait for your plane. There is no explicit outgoing immigration. Heck, i was surprised the one time I went to Tijuana Mexico with some friends. We drive down to the border. Park the car on the US side. We walked into Mexico. It never occurred to me at the time that the USA would not check you going outbound.

I arrived at BKK airport last week. Long queues at Immigration check points. All families with young children being ushured through fast track lane. I asked the Immigration guy if I could use that route as my thai wife and 11 month old were waiting outside by the meeting point. " No I dont believe you " he said. So I showed him my marriage visa in my passport, and said to talk to my Thai wife who was on the phone with my screaming kid in the background. He pushed my passport away ' Dont believe you ' he said again, and walked off.

I queued for over an hour while holiday makers and young kids skipped through in seconds.

Cheers jobsworth. A Great welcoming start to my holiday.

Dude, the kid ~IS~ your ticket to the fast lane. You don't bring your ticket along, you don't get to ride.

Yes mate. A bit difficult to take my kid to work with me though. Just asking for a bit of common sense. Kids this side of the customs through in seconds. Kids 50 meters away on the other side of customs have to wait an hour or so because Hitler's goose stepping down the line.

Cheers for your input though.

I flew from swampy yesterday 13:00 and I have to say I spent less than 5 minutes in passport control! If you walk to the very end near U check-in block it seems there are more officials than passengers :D

Overall I had a very pleasant experience at the airport excepting for one thing - the price of drinking water is disgusting - at 7/11 (near domestic arrivals) small bottles are 7 baht, which obviously you cannot take through security but once inside the cheapest price for exactly the same product was 30 baht. I witnessed some fool buying a small bottle of Evian for 130 baht!!

I know we are talking small money compared to the price of flying but there is no need for such extortionate pricing, other than abject greed.

USA has no out going immigration or customs check.

Don't believe that for a minute.

Everyone moving out of country has their passport looked at and goes in the database.

At 1635 Sunday 18th it took less than 25 minutes from arrival at airport to sitting in Burger King! It was good to see that they have introduced the new queuing system that stops people standing three and four abreast and switching lines. Simple but effective!

and that new queuing system is... ????

Better than the old one!

Excuse me, am I missing something here? Three hours is a norm at Heathrow for non-EU passport holders. I don't get what the fuss is about. Never occurred to me to complain because we're either immigrants and students. Although paying tax without any recourses to public funds, we are still treated as if we're coming to UK to take. So complaining is the last thing on our mind.

I understand your frustration-point but I guess that:

1. you're wearing a turban or a headscarf, maybe the one with only your eyes (???) visible or worse the one which do not distinct you any longer from a garbage bin outside your door;

2. you do not have a white skin (and I do not feel disturbed by this in anyway, but maybe the immigration officers in Heathrow do). Regret to say that in my country I carefully avoid rows where africans are queuing up... These are definitely the "slow" rows...;

3. You are dressed like an Arab NOT with the white-only turban, but the "white and red" kitchen towel, the one that Yasser Arafat was wearing all the time;

4. You are NOT holder of a diplomatic passport;

5. You are NOT an UN-employee;

6. You did NOT shave before presenting to the immigration officer and wear a long beard (like the Talibans) perhaps spreading a strange odour around;

7. You are a travestite;

If you're not one of the above, then you have been very unfortunate to have to wait so long... It's very unfortunate! But remember, carefully avoid to be one of the cases above: it may help!

I apologize if I have offended you but my only aim was to be helpful! You're welcome!

I nominate the above for the "dumbest post. Ever." award.

• Like 1

Just add a 30kilometre high-speed rail link between the two. Shuttle busses are not going to work

Should be up and running by 2020 if Swampys link is anything to go by.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The airport may deep under water by 2020.

so.............there's no water in the Mekong because of the Chinese building dams. Solution. Bring all those high-speed V8 powered boats from the Mekong to Swampy and you'll be in Don Muang before you have the time to say " h_o_l_y s_*-*-t, these boats can move !

Edited by finnomick1

To confirm previous posts, there is absolutely NO physical passport inspection by a government agency when departing the U.S. It is reviewed and swiped by the airline ticket agent. It may go into numerous agency databases, but you do not queue up for passport control like TL. You do show it when passing TSA security, but its only to verify you match the ticket. It all happens 'behind the scenes' when swiped by the airline ticket agent. No reason TL could not do the same, other than the nature of government agencies/practices: once in place, they're unlikely to go away or change.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I have a friend, ahem, who hasn't done a 90 day report in 3 years. Multiple entry non-B visa renewal every year no problems, no worries jap.gif

Just to be clear for others here, B business visas typically don't require 90 day reports. The visa itself is valid for a year, but the holder is required to exit Thailand by land or air every 90 days...hence the reason for no 90 day reporting.

That's in contrast to retirement extensions, where the holder doesn't have to exit Thailand anytime during the year, but does have to do 90 day reports.

BTW, as for the airport, if you have a Thai spouse, typically departure Immigration will let the two of you go thru the (often shorter) Thai citizen lines instead of going separate and you standing in the longer foreigner lines.

I cannot answer for Thailand, but it is a little known fact that British Customs and Excise are NOT ALLOWED to split up married couples travelling together. Your Thai wife can accompany you through the British passport holders booths even if she is travelling on a Thai passport.