Rice Thresher

Lickey

Normally in this part of Issan most rice threshers are truck or Ford tractor mounted, driven by the 4cyl engine via belt,

Question is, would a Kubota 10/12/14 hp engine sucessfully drive a thresher, i mean the normal sort of thresher, blue colour, about 1.5 mtr long, 1 mtr high, and how much would a new thresher cost, or a very good S/H one,

Thanks for all replys, Lickey.

Most use the truck prop shaft to drive the input to the thresher and from there a series of belts to the individual component shafts. The trucks are usually revving at a speed close to max torque so I am assuming that the thresher under load would need more than 14HP. I have seen then run vis the PTO on a 35HP Kubota tractor though. Thought about getting a second hand pickup engine from the wreckers?

Thanks IA, The thinking behind this is my ozzie mate want to buy a farm vehicle, something like an Etan, which to all intents and purposes is a modified pick-up chassis with a Kubota engine, now i think they use the original gearbox, and i was wondering if the thresher drive pulleys and gearbox output shaft pulley could be played around with until it was right, which of course would be unknown till it starts work.

Ive seen and heard these truck mounted threshers working, plumes of chaff and dust 25ft high, not sure if the are putting to much rice stalks in at once cos the engine really digs in, Perhaps thats the normal thai thing, enough is ok, more is better?

Cheers, Lickey.

Thanks IA, The thinking behind this is my ozzie mate want to buy a farm vehicle, something like an Etan, which to all intents and purposes is a modified pick-up chassis with a Kubota engine, now i think they use the original gearbox, and i was wondering if the thresher drive pulleys and gearbox output shaft pulley could be played around with until it was right, which of course would be unknown till it starts work.

Ive seen and heard these truck mounted threshers working, plumes of chaff and dust 25ft high, not sure if the are putting to much rice stalks in at once cos the engine really digs in, Perhaps thats the normal thai thing, enough is ok, more is better?

Cheers, Lickey.

You got it in one, they play around with it until they get it to work. Drop the tailshaft on the truck and patch in the shaft to the thresher. And again you are correct, overload everything untils it jams or breaks is the normal Thai development process. How else do you know what the limit "used" to be? Now it is "old" already and will need to be replaced. How childishly simple is that?

Seriously, the threshers are run flat out as close to 24/7 as possible. Many people prefer to thresh their rice at night when things are cooler. The normal charge here is 3 bags of paddy per 100 bags threshed.

• 1 year later...