Is Pattaya Still Good For A Family Visit?

tubehero

OP sent me a PM, but I would like to put it here for others to comment on. He wanted to know how long it takes from central Bangkok to Hua Hin.

I think that to a certain degree depends on the time of day. Obviously around rush hour will be a bit longer. I haven't done this trip in a long time. And I believe a new road has been built?

Can others help here?

Best/easiest way to Hua Hin is the minibus from Victory Monument. 2.5 - 3 hrs, depending on time of day and traffic. There are two companies, right next to Century mall (one adjacent, and one 100m north along Paholythin (the main road under the Skytrain). About B200/pax. Will stop at Cha Am, but it's a bit of a hike to the beach from Petchkasem Rd. Plenty of tuk-tuks at the station, though, and also at Hua Hin.

Train takes longer (depending on where you board), but is a lot more relaxing.

Continuing south from Hua Hin, the train is perfect - stops at a number of nice beach locations, like Ban Krut. Short ride, well worth the trip.

OP sent me a PM, but I would like to put it here for others to comment on. He wanted to know how long it takes from central Bangkok to Hua Hin.

I think that to a certain degree depends on the time of day. Obviously around rush hour will be a bit longer. I haven't done this trip in a long time. And I believe a new road has been built?

Can others help here?

Best/easiest way to Hua Hin is the minibus from Victory Monument. 2.5 - 3 hrs, depending on time of day and traffic. There are two companies, right next to Century mall (one adjacent, and one 100m north along Paholythin (the main road under the Skytrain). About B200/pax. Will stop at Cha Am, but it's a bit of a hike to the beach from Petchkasem Rd. Plenty of tuk-tuks at the station, though, and also at Hua Hin.

Continuing south from Hua Hin, the train is perfect - stops at a number of nice beach locations, like Ban Krut. Short ride, well worth the trip.

I LOVE Ban Krut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cha-am is favoured by a lot of Thai people especially on a weekend. But there is so little to do and see. You can get a few water sports rides for the kids and that is about it.

They do have cheap beer and food and the big fish market down by the docks but also not for the kids + it can be smelly.

Pattaya seems to have more to do but the beach is not so clean and all the way down from soi 6 to walking street you have soi's full of bars.

Maybe look at some of the other suggestions made.

Can others help here?

This is actually not a bad trip to go buy train and the train gets in right in downtown. Cost is about 150 baht (2nd class) and takes about 4 hours but it is an enjoyable trip. You can also save about 40-minutes if you catch the train in Bang Sue via the subway instead of Hua Lampong.

Edited by Nisa

Can others help here?

This is actually not a bad trip to go buy train and the train gets in right in downtown. Cost is about 150 baht (2nd class) and takes about 4 hours but it is an enjoyable trip. You can also save about 40-minutes if you catch the train in Bang Sue via the subway instead of Hua Lampong.

Are they still running the 40 baht trains? Its well worth paying the extra to avoid those...

SC

As people have mentioned Bang Saen I'll add my two peneth worth. The beach has a lot of litter, with old deck chair and umbrellas taking up pretty much all the beach when the tide is in. It's alright for a day out if you live in the area or don't want to go any further for a day out from Bangkok, but other than that you'll be disappointed. The food stalls are over priced also.

If you still want to go you drive down Sukhumvit/Bang Na -Tradt until you get in the area then there are 3 main roads to get there from Sukumvit. Via Ang Sila turning off at the traffic lights after Makro or turn off onto the Nong Mon by-pass, u turn, cross back over Sukumvit and down the new road until the traffic lights on second road and then go straight across and that soi goes to the beach or turn right off Sukumvit at the lights at Galaxy nightclub, this is the main road down to Bang Saen past Burapha university, but this road is busy with young students driving like idiots on motorbikes. Or get the coach from Ekami I don't know where it stops though.

Driving yourself will take about 1 hour from when you hit the Bang Na -Tradt. Take the Chonburi by-pass, but avoid it like the plague if travelling at rush hour.

There's little for kids to do except the beach and a playground for younger kids down towards the fishermans village. There's hell gardens somewhere, I haven't been myself and having seen photos I have no desire to. The hell gardens that is.

Koh Si Chang as someone mentioned is nice, but has little for kids to do. It's a day trip place or 2 days at the most.

The old Palace garden is nice, but seriously lacking in shade and the kids if young or actually any age will be bored.

It's a place for couples pretty much all young Bangkok couples going for a romantic weekend. At the weekend everywhere is full. Some new places were being built the last time we went about 2 or 3 years ago, but I imagine it's still the same.

There's few places to eat. One place they set up tables to eat watching the sunset just up from there is some rooms which are obviously convienient and probably where I'd chose to stay next time although the wife wants to stay in that wierd place like something out of a fantasy film in the middle of the Island.

There is one main beach and supposedly a few more, but are only accessable when the tide is out, I obviously haven't found them myself.

Catch the ferry from Koh loy which is connected to the main land by a pier which is at a roundabout in the middle of Si Racha town. About another 10-15 minutes drive further from Bang Saen.

Hua Hin takes about 2 hours drive from Bangkok. Beaches are nice. The beaches at the hotels north of the town are nicer than the beach in the town.

Koh Samedt will take about 3 hours from Bangkok absolutely lovely, but if there is anything for kids to do apart from the beach I must have missed it.

Edited by arthurwait
  • Like 1

I am not up on the history of Pattaya but has it ever been a good place for families to visit post Vietnam War era?

Edited by Nisa

I am not up on the history of Pattaya but has it ever been a good place for families to visit post Vietnam War era?

Yes, absolutely. You just need to know where (not) to go. Not to different from the most popular parts of Bangkok really.

i certainly would not take a family to pattaya,

nothing annoys me more than seeing farang parents ,

taking their children into the sexi soi,s .

Clearly you would avoid those. Duh. It's not *THAT* hard. Especially not if you stay around Jomtien, North Pattaya or Naklua.

Do you know how long it takes for a Bangkok bus to arrive in Pattaya? Two hours or 3 hours?

Less. Not more than 2 hours though it depends on the traffic in Bangkok; if rush hour it'll go a tad over 2 hours probably. It's a bit quicker from Mo Chit, and quicker still direct form the airport. (From the airport it's not too much more than an hour)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I concur with the consensus about Bang Saen. It seems a nice enough little town, but last time I was there the beach and water were filthy, smelly and disgusting. It seems that all of the garbage and pollutants emptying out of Chao Praya river wash up here.

My new favorite area is slightly south of Hua Hin- Sam Roi Yod in Pranburi. Nice enough beach, decent restaurants and hotels in the area, and only about 30 mins to Hua Hin if you want a night out or more "urban" activities and shopping.

Can others help here?

there are minibuses going from bkk and mochit, to hua hin ,about 4 hours journey time.

i have used them once and never again , high speeds and bad driving , do not mix.

i would prefer the train , or a VIP bus.

coffee1.gif Sort of tangent to the original OP's question.

Are there still boats you can hire from Pattaya to any of the islands off shore?

I haven't been to the Pattaya area for years except for a short just-after.New-Year's-day beach outing organised by my Thai wife's daughter last year (2011).

But I remember some years back there were boats you could hire in Pattaya that would do a day trip to some off the nearby islands for a small fee.

At that time...20 years ago, I guess... I used to take my Thai wife's kids for a day trip beach holiday on one of those boats. Usually about a 2 to 3 hour trip as I recall.

Then there were relatively remote beaches on the islands...usually with a small Thai restaurant where you could get food, soft drinks, and beer.

The kids ran around the beach collecting shells and chasing land crabs...and such. Mom and Dad sat in chairs on the beach drinking cold cokes and beer for Dad.

The boat would leave you on the island in the morning, and return later in the afternoon to take you back to Pataya.

If such a thing still exists, and the islands are not now swamped by a bunch of drunken farang tourists...that would be a nice family day trip to get away from Bangkok for a while.

Does such a thing still exist in Pattaya?

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

i certainly would not take a family to pattaya,

nothing annoys me more than seeing farang parents ,

taking their children into the sexi soi,s .

theres a time and a place for everything ,

but pattaya is smothered in the sex industry.

i suggest chaam , would be far more suitable for a family .

I agree. Chaam has some nice quiet beaches but still close to town. There is also a lively night market there as well. When my wife and I go we stay at the Grand Princess Sovereign Resort and Spa. It's a very nice reasonably priced hotel with a Thai feel and good for a family. Has a great pool and is right across from the beach. They also have a free tuk tuk service to take you into the town area as well. I'm not a big fan of Pattaya and personally I would not take my family there if I have other options.

Jom Tien is much nicer and a little bit cleaner. Pattaya is Pattaya no need to beat a dead horse. If you have the time visit Koh Mak on the back end of Koh chiang it takes about 6 1/2 hours from Bkk between the van and speed boat but absolutely a relaxed family destination. No touts, No bargirls, no jet skis, no tuk tuk mafia, no paragliding just relaxing on uncrowded beaches with crystal clear water. The island is quite and only as about 400 residents each side has a different look but I have to say it is in the tops secret beach get aways without all the crazy crowds.

Pattaya is always good for family visit. There are more to see than the nightlife. Just avoid the road along the beach at night where a lot people are doing their "job"

I'd avoid it in the day time with family too.

There are lots of fun things for a family to see be you will need to be careful to try and shield the childrens eyes from the bars and sex scene. It is everywhere. Even in Big-C you will see ladies wearing things that you wouldn't want your children to see.

Pattaya is very suitable for family IMO,

i recall a white boy perhaps 15 in a gogo,

and i swear i've never seen anyone so popular and, he didnt even have to buy drinks.

I'm certain he didnt mind the attention,

and i'm certain i would also have enjoyed if i were him at 15

Can others help here?

taxi from Suvarnabhumi airport to Pattaya = 1 1/2 hours

from Don Mueang add 45 minutes

from downtown BKK (depending on traffic) 2 hours 15 min to 2 hours 30 minutes

all the way Motorway!

thaisabai

It is a great place for a family visit. The famous bar scene is only a tiny portion of Pattaya. Kids love the trip to the waterslides and space shuttle to the top of the hotel in Jomptien where the view is spectacular. Koh Larn Island makes a wonderful day trip that is quite inexpensive, and the beaches are superb. Hotels are reasonable and far cheaper than Phuket or Bangkok. there are lots of reasonable places to dine that won't break the piggy bank.