Honda Wave 110I - Slight Howling From The Transmission/Gearbox

vel_tins

Today I rode the Wave from the Missus some kilometers.

When accelerating, the gearbox/transmission is quiet, but when I throttle down, and the engine is not under load, I can hear a slight howling from the transmission.

Reminds me of old cars, where you heard a similar noise, but much louder, from the rear axle differential, when the car wasn't "under load"

Missus claims, that would be normal and her former old Wave had this noise too.

But I never drove a Wave before, so I don't know, if this noise is "standard" or not.

come on, Wave riders.

Is your Wave's transmission/gearbox always quiet, or not?

ive ridden one a few times and i think they are dreadful bikes but dont recall every having any bike that every howled from the gearbox

to be honest

ive had some bigger bikes that could maybe have howled from the exhaust on deceleration but i doubt a wave could do that anyway smile.png

Edited by wana

come on, Wave riders.

I'm not a wave rider but have ridden them new & old there just small motorcyle moped type things and you can get all sorts of noises from them and yeah their gearbox seems quiet enough going along and when deacelarating unless you changing gear.

When was it last serviced. ??

What sort of kilos it done. ??

Are the spockets worn. ??

Is the chain worn. ??

Is the oil levels OK. ??

Is there anything loose causing vibe noise.??

come on, Wave riders.

I'm not a wave rider but have ridden them new & old there just small motorcyle moped type things and you can get all sorts of noises from them and yeah their gearbox seems quiet enough going along and when deacelarating unless you changing gear.

Is the chain worn. ??

Is the oil levels OK. ??

As the OP said, the bike belongs to the "missus". tongue.png

Edited by Semper

come on, Wave riders.

Is the chain worn. ??

Is the oil levels OK. ??

As the OP said, the bike belongs to the "missus". tongue.png

Yeah OK buddy but I want to hear from im, not you, unless you know his mrs.laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

My mrs has the 110 Wave, which i prefer to the Fino,

Does yours have a fully enclosed chain? ours does and lets you know when its a bit loose, on overun, it drags on the case making a noise, now whether there is supposed to be a nylon slipper in there, dunno, never had the case right off,

Perhaps its just chain adjustment, so adjust it, get the family to sit on bike and check/make sure the chain still has a little play,

Is the chain worn. ??

Is the oil levels OK. ??

Bike has only done ~4000 KM. It's in original condition, no missing parts (chainbox) etc.

I changed the oil, before I rode it. (A good oil from shell for Bikes with clutch)

The howling doesen't come from chain or sprockets, it's definetly the gearbox, when decelerating.

You can hear it too, when the bike idles, but very silent.

Maybe some of you know the "sound" of old and worn gears/differentials. That's exactly what it sounds.

It's not too loud, but I feel, it shouldn't exist.

The only reason, I could imagine is, because she drove the bike while BKK floods, water _could_ have been invaded into the engine/gearbox...unsure.png

Old oil was not 100 clear, but not too "milky"

Edited by vel_tins

well, I investigated a little bit further...

When the bike is on the main stand and idles, I can hear this noise. When I push the gear-lever a little bit (1cm) and the clutch opens, the noise is completely gone.

This happens imho, because both gear shafts stop rotating at this moment.

Maybe I am a little bit oversensitive and this noise is standard.

I think, I need to drive an equal bike, to see what really happens.

PS: regarding the water, I am not 100% sure, if water came inside the engine...Only speculation

Edited by vel_tins

I changed the oil, before I rode it. (A good oil from shell for Bikes with clutch)

Did you use a low viscosity oil like say 10W-40. You could try some 10W/20W-50 if you can find it.

I wouldn't worry too much that engine is almost bomb proof.

I wouldn't worry too much that engine is almost bomb proof.

exactly ,just use it till it breaks

those waves can be fixed so cheap it doesnt even bear worrying about the cost of it

tell her to ignore the noise and just ride it everyday ,might even go away by itself

Thought I would add that this morning I was on a motocy taxi Wave and it had a noticeable "howling" coming from the transmission but the odometer did read over 80,000 kms!

Honda Wave's do tend to be a little noisy. They're a pretty basic design, but as other people have commented, they're bomb proof. Backing off on the throttle doesn't really create an 'off load' condition. The loading merely changes; from engine/gearbox to rear wheel and becomes rear wheel to gearbox/engine. But, the exhaust is more quiet and you may notice it more.

The noise can be more pronounced if the chain is too tight. When chains are adjusted they are 'off load' i.e. there is no tension on the chain, which comes from people sitting on the bike. So when the bike is 'under load' the chain no longer sits within it's desired tension range. If the 'howling' that you hear has an oscillation to it, then rear wheel alignment is a contributary factor, also.

Backing of the rear brake, adjustment nut, whilst setting chain tension (and/or rear wheel alignment) is a good idea. Then, you can re-adjust the rear brake, after tightening the rear wheel nuts.

come on, Wave riders.

Ok, my wife have the same bike (110 I) so I took it for a ride and yes, there is in fact some "howling" noise from the gearbox. Mostly noticeable in 4th gear. The bike is 1 year old 10K on the meter. I would agree with your missus that it's normal. smile.png