So I Was On A Bus........

theblether

As a Boy, I supposed the roller coaster terrified you also giggle.gif

OH ... great story telling BTW.

Obviously Harald was a seasoned Thai traveller.

Poor Dundee lost 10kg of sweat ... In the buses, I always wondered what those puddles were at the base of some seats, I just assumed that the Air-con was leaking. Now I know that it signals 'Farang sat here last'.

Poor Dundee lost 10kg of sweat ... In the buses, I always wondered what those puddles were at the base of some seats, I just assumed that the Air-con was leaking. Now I know that it signals 'Farang sat here last'.

Correct re the "Farang sat here last"......as for Harald.........we were never sure if he was awake or not, a boring kind of guy......as he would be being German biggrin.png .

How long did it take you to learn to speak chicken?

I was born chicken.......when I was a toddler my Dad kept telling me to cluck off. He used to sit on an egg and pretend he was giving birth to a new son.

Scarred me for life that did.

I drive myself; its much safer. When a nutter comes up behind me and sits on my tail, I let him go, and as he passes I say "Go kill yourself...".

Tip: don't get buses at night; the chances of you dieing really increase.

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

X2

Great story, blether. I believe every word of it because I've "bin dere dun dat" and I had to laugh at the memory of it. There are some things that happen to us that we just have to try and accept and make some attempt at relaxing. You just have to trust in fate and hope you survive. But, hopefully, you learn from your adventure. It's kind of like riding a motorbike in Asian traffic. You KNOW what CAN happen; you just hope it doesn't.

For the very reason your story pointed out, I find that a good deal of PRIOR planning makes things go a lot smoother. I still ride the bus regularly from Chiang Mai to Mai Sai, but I only travel by the VIP Green bus. Of course, that doesn't entirely elimenate the risk. Your vehicle might be doing everything right, but the on comming idiot will take you out by doing something stupid.

It's part of the adventure of being in Thailand.

• Like 1

Great writing. Thanks for sharing it. So you have finally joined the gang of the bus lovers in Thailand. jap.gif

It must have been a quite frightening experience. I am pretty sure the whisky was never tastier than that afterwards.

I had the same feeling when travelling from Phuket to Hatyai, 7 hours journey. At the beginning of the journey my wife found out that the bus was late so we might speed up a little bit. That time I didnt know what that means in Thailand. Additionally, we had a nice pouring down rain. We had a couple of near misses, although chickens were not ivolved. And all the way long we had to relax with soothing voice of the horn, that he never missed to use, not a single minute without that and not mentioning the the great dvd of the concert of the Carabao. The dvd was only about 60 mins long, but you can be sure, we got the repeat again and again, at least 6 times on ear-piercing volume.

• Like 1

I think you made up the part about what the dog said.

No he didn't. I talk to dogs all the time and some even aswer back.

Some ask me if they can have a piece of my fried chicken

Dalmation.sized.jpg

Some tell me to "F" off

Ugly_dog.sized.jpg

Some say "I didn't mean to eat the last of fried pork. I thought it was left there for me"

Janets_puppy_1.sized.jpg

Some say,,, "we're sleeping and it's a hot day, would you kindly leave us alone"

Sleeping_dogs.sized.jpg

Some say... "You know I am a bitch and I'm trying to get through this crap the best way I know how."

Street_dog_1.jpg

And one of my good buddies who I often stop and scratch his ears will tell me..."Look, I know we are friends, but the boss just came home and I've got to put on a show of being a guard dog"

The_dog_1.sized.jpg

this is his normal pose outside the gate when the boss ain't home.

The_dog_2.sized.jpg

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Fantastic Ian......and that is exactly what they are saying because remember, I speak dog very good. MaiChai and GarryA........your not wrong about the driving. I genuinely was terrified, I have never felt such a sustained fear in my life. In my defence Dundee and Fireman felt the same way.

In future it's fly everywhere for me, or drive with someone I trust.

cheesy.gif

Fantastic Ian......and that is exactly what they are saying because remember, I speak dog very good. MaiChai and GarryA........your not wrong about the driving. I genuinely was terrified, I have never felt such a sustained fear in my life. In my defence Dundee and Fireman felt the same way.

In future it's fly everywhere for me, or drive with someone I trust.

Go for the bike like a true nature's child .

• Like 1

only unprotected little kids and blethers use public bus transportation in Thailand...I stick to bicycles and skateboards when I do my shopping down the market...

great story, though...there is the allure of the middle aged asian lady and her 'glint' that may or may not conceal a malicious intention...and there's only one way to find out...see if she can dance...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

I think you made up the part about what the dog said.

No he didn't. I talk to dogs all the time and some even aswer back.

Some ask me if they can have a piece of my fried chicken

Dalmation.sized.jpg

Some tell me to "F" off

Ugly_dog.sized.jpg

Some say "I didn't mean to eat the last of fried pork. I thought it was left there for me"

Janets_puppy_1.sized.jpg

Some say,,, "we're sleeping and it's a hot day, would you kindly leave us alone"

Sleeping_dogs.sized.jpg

Some say... "You know I am a bitch and I'm trying to get through this crap the best way I know how."

Street_dog_1.jpg

And one of my good buddies who I often stop and scratch his ears will tell me..."Look, I know we are friends, but the boss just came home and I've got to put on a show of being a guard dog"

The_dog_1.sized.jpg

this is his normal pose outside the gate when the boss ain't home.

The_dog_2.sized.jpg

Couple of nice doggie pics there! :thumbsup:

We pulled out off Chiang Rai city limits, turned right, then we were off!!.......I think the first time I realized there was something wrong was when I saw bottles of M-50 and Red Bull being tossed out of the drivers window. I didn't know that using the brakes was against the law on Thai buses either, this old rickety bus flew up to 120 kph and stayed their, irrespective of curves in the road, oncoming traffic, nothing. Being cool and charismatic as I am, I sat their unperturbed for about 3 minutes, then the panic started to set in.

laugh.png

I looked up and saw the Monks looking unperturbed, it's ok for them, they have 500 lives to play with, I've only got the one.

classic thumbsup.gif

Great story Blether. keep 'em coming.

We pulled out off Chiang Rai city limits, turned right, then we were off!!.......I think the first time I realized there was something wrong was when I saw bottles of M-50 and Red Bull being tossed out of the drivers window. I didn't know that using the brakes was against the law on Thai buses either, this old rickety bus flew up to 120 kph and stayed their, irrespective of curves in the road, oncoming traffic, nothing. Being cool and charismatic as I am, I sat their unperturbed for about 3 minutes, then the panic started to set in.

laugh.png

I looked up and saw the Monks looking unperturbed, it's ok for them, they have 500 lives to play with, I've only got the one.

classic thumbsup.gif

Great story Blether. keep 'em coming.

Thanks very much, there are more in the pipeline biggrin.png

I actually had a bus trip that was totally unlike your ride. It was from Phrae to Chiang Mai and normally takes about 4 plus hours. The driver was alert and quick, but he didn't take chances. The ride was smooth and fast and I actually fell asleep for a couple of hours and woke up just before we got to Lampang. If I can I always pay attention to the drivers and how they manipulate through traffic. In this case I was in the front seat and right behind the driver.This guy was one of the best I've seen and I actually complimented him at the end of our journey. He was a bit surprised, but quite pleased.

I actually had a bus trip that was totally unlike your ride. It was from Phrae to Chiang Mai and normally takes about 4 plus hours. The driver was alert and quick, but he didn't take chances. The ride was smooth and fast and I actually fell asleep for a couple of hours and woke up just before we got to Lampang. If I can I always pay attention to the drivers and how they manipulate through traffic. In this case I was in the front seat and right behind the driver.This guy was one of the best I've seen and I actually complimented him at the end of our journey. He was a bit surprised, but quite pleased.

Did you take his photo? Please tell me you took his photo.......I need to see this guy. biggrin.png

Did you take his photo? Please tell me you took his photo.......I need to see this guy. biggrin.png

See? There are some good drivers in Thailand. And the best of it was, he was doing it all blindfold, taking instructions from a clairvoyant

SC

EDIT: That's just speculation on my part - I don't want a whole bunch of people piling in here saying how its ridiculous that so many bus drivers rive blindfold, and that the blindfold drivers are the worst...

I remember getting a bus on the hill road over to the south side of HK island with a driver who was either a bit sleepy or a reeeally slow blinker...

SC

See? There are some good drivers in Thailand. And the best of it was, he was doing it all blindfold, taking instructions from a clairvoyant

SC

EDIT: That's just speculation on my part - I don't want a whole bunch of people piling in here saying how its ridiculous that so many bus drivers rive blindfold, and that the blindfold drivers are the worst...

I remember getting a bus on the hill road over to the south side of HK island with a driver who was either a bit sleepy or a reeeally slow blinker...

SC

I would feel safer with a blindfolded driver than with that lunatic that drove the bus that day.........turned me to drink he did. drunk.gif

• 2 months later...

Interesting and adventurous.. I might have a try soon..

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Let me assure you.......I won't be going with you.......oh no, no way ermm.gifblink.png

That's a relief!! laugh.png

You better believe it Smokie.........that trip will not be on your Chiang Mai agenda. biggrin.png

I like to see this thread revived as I have some bus stories of my own mostly having to with being dragged from place to place when I was 15 y.o. in Bolivia; from La Paz-Oruro-Cochabamba-Santa Cruz and then onto Montero where my dad was hiding like Kurtz upriver in the jungle...and the buses were horribly uncomfortable, simple school buses with bench seats...no water and folks were sick all the time from altitude and motion sickness...very unpleasant...and they would shout 'Bolsa!' before vomiting all over the place...

we finally found my dad in a construction camp outside of Montero and he wasn't glad to see us as he had already remarried with a new family and then he got pissed off at me and my long hair and marched me down to a barber and said: 'corte militar!' and he messed with me big time and I never forgot it...you never <deleted> with someones hair as it is simple humiliation...

and then I ended up back in Cochabamba and then on a school excursion and went back to Montero where there was another missionary school and to my bolivian associates I said I know this place and they said: 'whaaa? yer a fcukin' gringo and how do you know about this place?' and then I was embarrassed with my folks and their problems...

once on the road from Santa Cruz to Cochabamba a woman and her small son shared their blanket with me on the bus and my faith in human decency was restored...

I presently have little patience with unjustified criticism from anyone...them dirt tracks in Bolivia in 1965 seriously messed with me heid...

• Like 1

I took a bus with my cousin from Edinburgh to London one evening...we were the last on the bus and had to sit opposite each other...me beside a young female student and her beside this guy with a beard.

If ya wanna hear the story....let me know....tongue.png

Edit: OK so we are ten minutes into the journey and my cousin leans over to me and with a wicked smile says..." I bet i can shag him before you shag her..."

Edited by smokie36

I like to see this thread revived as I have some bus stories of my own mostly having to with being dragged from place to place when I was 15 y.o. in Bolivia; from La Paz-Oruro-Cochabamba-Santa Cruz and then onto Montero where my dad was hiding like Kurtz upriver in the jungle...and the buses were horribly uncomfortable, simple school buses with bench seats...no water and folks were sick all the time from altitude and motion sickness...very unpleasant...and they would shout 'Bolsa!' before vomiting all over the place...

we finally found my dad in a construction camp outside of Montero and he wasn't glad to see us as he had already remarried with a new family and then he got pissed off at me and my long hair and marched me down to a barber and said: 'corte militar!' and he messed with me big time and I never forgot it...you never <deleted> with someones hair as it is simple humiliation...

and then I ended up back in Cochabamba and then on a school excursion and went back to Montero where there was another missionary school and to my bolivian associates I said I know this place and they said: 'whaaa? yer a fcukin' gringo and how do you know about this place?' and then I was embarrassed with my folks and their problems...

once on the road from Santa Cruz to Cochabamba a woman and her small son shared their blanket with me on the bus and my faith in human decency was restored...

I presently have little patience with unjustified criticism from anyone...them dirt tracks in Bolivia in 1965 seriously messed with me heid...

Brilliant Tutsi, just brilliant biggrin.png

@Smokie..........I was that guy with the beard. She was right coffee1.gif