Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

I just wonder what all the farang protectors here would say if this happened in their own country. Man tries to take something onto a mass public transport system in the capital city a few weeks after a (failed) terrorist attack. The Security try to stop him; he gets pushy (that's being polite) and tries to push through anyway;might have or might not have attacked a female guard depending upon conflicting reports, damaged a bin (showing signs of disproportionate anger?) and gets whacked by a security guard. What would the public in your home country say if it happened in New York, Paris, London... well when Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes pushed through a turnstile in London, failed to stop when the guards shouted stop, he ended up getting shot 7 times in the head and most people I know in the UK think "well, he was a fool, and I would rather they topped him and be wrong then not top him resulting in another 100 people getting blown up. Its almost as if because we are expats, we can not possibly be terrorists so leave us alone despite that I have known many Iranians in my time and they can look very western, almost Welsh or Irish?

Although it is rare that security people here actually do do their job, maybe it should be appreciated when they do. I'd rather cop a smack to the head myself and know they were doing a good job than to have the bts go boom, or for the entire train to get done over with Sarin at some point in the future.

How about call police?

two points - not relevant to kiddies balloons, but calling the police when someone is pushing past security when being told to stop takes too long and opens up the possibility of something altogether more serious happening. Secondly, calling the police in this circumstance might have cost the paddy a lot more than a bump on the head;more like an arm and a leg in the "go away" money.

Well ok you are right,anyway we don't know what happened before the gate,but i have my own thinking.I think the teacher wanted to buy a ticket,they told him he can not take the ballons into the bts,teacher get upset,tells them in the morning he could take the ballons,ticketgirls says,sorry he can not take the ballons,teacher maybe in a hurry[1guy said take a taxy,stupid idea]gets more angry,gets loud kicks a garbage can,security comes,teacher probably tells him to f... off,teacher want go through gate,security officer tries to stop him,teacher tries harder to go through,security hit the teacher,teacher crazy angry..........,but his friend stops him,something like that happened!!!.I think I can understand the teacher.And again bts security not there to hit customers,and I'm sure they do that only with farang,if a thai do same as teacher,they just let him go,or even help carry the ballons,the security guy should call police if he thinks the teacher did something against the law,they can follow him into bts and tell police which station,easy to do if u want to do

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A video showing an already bloodied (prior to entering train area) foreigner attacking security at the BTS, including kicking, while being restrained by another foreigner, security officer who was handed balloons by what appears to be his daughter. All the while this guy is refusing to follow rules and obey security, who is acting in a very calm manner, while the farang screams, swears and attempts to attack them. I guess it only makes sense to make the headline of this story be: Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard

For those who speak a foreign language but cannot read and understand pictures?

no-signs.jpg

IMG_1542%2B-%2BVersion%2B2.jpg

But you know how some signs are so badly translated here that you might start to ignore the English translation.

He might have thought it meant no skinny ties.

Indeed.. And has it been confirmed that this sign is posted at the location of this incident?

Until it has I reserve the right to know nothing about what happened before the camera was turned on..

Pete.I know we haven't seen cctv yet, (hope we do). Witnesses have said he was going berserk and kicking over bins. If someone a foot taller than me and twice as wide is going mental like that on my watch and I have a club, he's gonna feel it! Guard was probably scared mate.

I've never seen that no balloons sign so I imagine it isn't in a particularly visible place. As for going berserk and kicking over bins, was this before or after being coshed in the head? A lot of self-hating whiteys are coming on here defending a security guard who is not being defended by his own employer.

It could be filled with poison gas. Same reason why airport don't allow you to bring your bottle water, even though it is harmless. Want to argue with the airport security that your water is harmless?

Bottled water being not allowed on flights is CLEARLY posted everywhere at departure at airports along with all the other goodies not allowed. There were no postings about balloons at any BTS until AFTER this event.

Although I have have never seen such a sign myself, the picture that I linked was posted 24 January, 2012

Signs not allowing balloons on the BTS have been around for years and are (or were) posted at every BTS as similar signs are posted on the MRT. They are picture signs that include a number of prohibited items. And they are not the same for the BTS and MRT but are posted at every station generally by the entrance or by the ticket gate. It certainly is possible some signs were taken down do to vandalism or something but I don't think that is the case and that they are still at every station.

A video showing an already bloodied (prior to entering train area) foreigner attacking security at the BTS, including kicking, while being restrained by another foreigner, security officer who was handed balloons by what appears to be his daughter. All the while this guy is refusing to follow rules and obey security, who is acting in a very calm manner, while the farang screams, swears and attempts to attack them. I guess it only makes sense to make the headline of this story be: Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard

It's well-established now that he was assaulted by the security guard before entering the train area, hence his bloody head. Keep up.

Where do all you farang haters find all this anti farang attitude from the video. He was hit. You would most likely pull a knife if you were hit. Too much aggression for a balloon misunderstanding.

You are of course correct. The farang was definately showing too much aggression for a balloon misunderstanding.

Yes, it all ballooned out of control

• Like 1

Has anyone one else got Nena 99 red ballons in their head now ?

Please don't! I HATE that song! sad.png

It will soon be stuck in your head for weeks.

I runs away while laughing wickedly........

BTSd giggle.gif

-mel.

Edit: Right! Get this one! I know you hate it! ----- "I believe I can fly, I believe......" like a red balloon on the BTS. jap.gif

You're cruel.

A news post using Thai script has been removed. English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Other nonsense, inflammatory, and hyperbolic posts and replies have been removed as well.

Where do all you farang haters find all this anti farang attitude from the video. He was hit. You would most likely pull a knife if you were hit. Too much aggression for a balloon misunderstanding.

You are of course correct. The farang was definately showing too much aggression for a balloon misunderstanding.

Yes, it all ballooned out of control

cheesy.gif

A news post using Thai script has been removed. English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Other nonsense, inflammatory, and hyperbolic posts and replies have been removed as well.

ok - well can someone that reads Thai better than I can have a peak at this which seems to say the police are charging someone but I have no idea who lol

http://www.fm91bkk.com/home91/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=236:2012-03-22-10-28-36&catid=3:2011-12-29-10-30-36&Itemid=4

A lot of self-hating whiteys are coming on here defending a security guard who is not being defended by his own employer.

Maybe they have seen too many angry, arrogant Westerners in Thailand who think that are special and they do not have to follow the rules like everyone else. From what I can tell from the video, this guy certainly appears to be one of them and they make the rest of us look bad

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

The clip almost looks set up..but maybe just me. Also curious they are looking to find who posted the original Video on You Tube

that is exactly what I thought! For a start how come the camera person was focused on

this person for so long and then when he is going up the steps he knows the camera is

tracking him and why would that be?

For those who speak a foreign language but cannot read and understand pictures?

no-signs.jpg

IMG_1542%2B-%2BVersion%2B2.jpg

But you know how some signs are so badly translated here that you might start to ignore the English translation.

He might have thought it meant no skinny ties.

Indeed.. And has it been confirmed that this sign is posted at the location of this incident?

Until it has I reserve the right to know nothing about what happened before the camera was turned on..

I am confident it was posted (the multi sign rule) but even if it wasn't it really doesn't matter. He was informed he couldn't bring them on and that should be enough. The little girl (appearing to be around 6) understood this and handed over the balloons to a security guard right before the man appears to kick the security guard in the stomach.

If he didn't understand why they were telling him to stop then he should have simply stopped and waiting to understand but it is ridiculous to believe he didn't understand because security cetainly can point to the balloons and say, "can no go". It is posted on youtube he is a teacher. He appears to be with a Thai women and child who it has been reported to be his wife and child in the Thai news. It would seem beyond logic to believe he didn't understand the rules and some Thai security saw him with balloons before he even got into the train area and simply clubbed him. Really beyond belief to believe that is likely given what we have seen which is an out of control guy having to be restrained as he assaults and attempts to assault calm and restrained security guards all the while determined to take the train regardless of all that has transpired.

Although very unlikely he was assaulted (not hurt while attacking others) but even if this was the case, his behavior on this video is criminal and I don't use the word criminal lightly. As for security, there is nothing on this video to show they did anything wrong except for not being able to get back up there in time to physically prevent this dangerous and out of control individual from going up the stairs and getting near the trains.

ok - well can someone that reads Thai better than I can have a peak at this which seems to say the police are charging someone but I have no idea who lol

http://www.fm91bkk.c...-30-36&Itemid=4

Google translate gives me this, it seems to side with Irishman, saying the guard has no right to assault

BTS Executive Director unveiled the results would be. Is about. Police

Thursday, 22 March 2012 17:20.

A Security Management BTS. Attacked foreign passengers in a disciplinary suspension for failure to maintain the right to prosecute foreign-based company reported a loss. And try to hurt the officer.

Executive director of the mandate Aapapirmis Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (), or BTS Skytrain. Discusses the controversy between the foreign and security personnel (Rpp.) on the BTS Phrom Phong BTS that they have reviewed the video. The entry of foreigners and their passengers. The damage. And try to hurt the employees. The result will be like that. To the police.

While the penalty for our security to such people. Because of a breach of discipline. And impaired function. Initially charged with assault Security Officer. The train before. The legal officer shall have no right to assault anyone. I found that breaking the rules. I can only warn or lock.</span>

I think that guy was off his meds if he was that pissed about balloons .. JHCHRIST

Actually, I can understand it if the little girl he was with pushed him for the balloons. He might have already been simmering before he got to BTS. Long ago I was with my girlfriend at a large outdoor beer event. She wanted balloons. She was about 25 yrs old and I didn't want to spend good beer money on balloons for an adult. She whined enough and I gave in. Shortly after, three teenagers hit them out of her hand and they went floating away. They laughed. I'm usually a very laid back, non-confrontational guy but even though the three of them probably could have kicked my butt I went ballistic, scared the crap out of them, and forced them to give me money for the lost balloons - which I proceeded to spend on beer, NOT more balloons. :)

The clip almost looks set up..but maybe just me. Also curious they are looking to find who posted the original Video on You Tube

that is exactly what I thought! For a start how come the camera person was focused on

this person for so long and then when he is going up the steps he knows the camera is

Because it's a conspiricy.....'ghostly...woo, wooo, wooo'!coffee1.gif

If there wasn't something more to this then I would logically assume the person turned on the camera and trained it on the guy because he was already acting in a way that gave the person taking the video the impression he was about to escalate something into something worth capturing on video ... note that he didn't have the video trained on a crazed security guard clubbing people in the head (who carried balloons) on the other side of the ticket gate.

Edited by Nisa

What's the difference between a child enjoying balloons and an amateur skydiver?

With the child balloon enjoyment, you might hear "BANG, Thwack! (on the head).......Oh Darn!

With the amateur skydiver you hear "Oh Darn.... BANG, Thwack.... (end of)!

;)

I think that guy was off his meds if he was that pissed about balloons .. JHCHRIST

Actually, I can understand it if the little girl he was with pushed him for the balloons. He might have already been simmering before he got to BTS. Long ago I was with my girlfriend at a large outdoor beer event. She wanted balloons. She was about 25 yrs old and I didn't want to spend good beer money on balloons for an adult. She whined enough and I gave in. Shortly after, three teenagers hit them out of her hand and they went floating away. They laughed. I'm usually a very laid back, non-confrontational guy but even though the three of them probably could have kicked my butt I went ballistic, scared the crap out of them, and forced them to give me money for the lost balloons - which I proceeded to spend on beer, NOT more balloons. smile.png

Note the little girl walked over and gave her balloons to a security guard then immediately the foreigner kicked the security guard while his friend was restraining him (foreigner). The guy was obviously being incredibly irrational, aggressive and violent.

BTS MD to cooperate with police on passenger assault case

BANGKOK, 22 March 2012 (NNT) - Following media reports of a BTS security guard attacking a foreigner, a BTS executive is affirming its full cooperation with police investigating the incident.

Managing Director of Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc, Dr. Anat Arbhabhirama said the company is ensuring fairness for both parties while conducting an internal investigation into the guard’s behavior. If the guard is found to be guilty of the assault, he will face disciplinary action.

A video clip posted on Youtube showed a security guard attempting to stop a foreign passenger who was holding helium balloons from boarding the skytrain. An argument ensued and the foreigner was seen hit in the head by the said guard.

The man later pressed a criminal charge against the guard with local police.

Dr Anat said that for safety reasons, bringing balloons onto the BTS train is not allowed and is against the company’s policy.

He added that since both parties have formally lodged complaints, the company is giving the police full cooperation in its investigation.

He insisted that passenger safety is the company’s top priority.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-22 footer_n.gif

I wonder when the goverment is going to announce the crackdown on balloons and make Thailand a balloon free regional hub ?

In light of this incident i will bet all the balloon chaser's in Pattaya will be quaking in their flip flops with the possiblity of being cracked over the head with a metal detector during their covert free loading activities

• Like 2

I think youre all missing the point.

"against the BTS's security protocol"

Has anyone seen any notices saying the "carrying of baloons on BTS trains is against BTS protocal and not allowed"?

Perhaps it's written in small print in Thai somewhere along with another thousand things you shouldn't do on BTS's train like taking a bomb with you?

There are (should be) proper procedures for dealing with agitated customers. Smashing in his head with a baton is not one of them.

Shame on BTS.

BTS MD to cooperate with police on passenger assault case

BANGKOK, 22 March 2012 (NNT) - Following media reports of a BTS security guard attacking a foreigner, a BTS executive is affirming its full cooperation with police investigating the incident.

Managing Director of Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc, Dr. Anat Arbhabhirama said the company is ensuring fairness for both parties while conducting an internal investigation into the guard’s behavior. If the guard is found to be guilty of the assault, he will face disciplinary action.

A video clip posted on Youtube showed a security guard attempting to stop a foreign passenger who was holding helium balloons from boarding the skytrain. An argument ensued and the foreigner was seen hit in the head by the said guard.

The man later pressed a criminal charge against the guard with local police.

Dr Anat said that for safety reasons, bringing balloons onto the BTS train is not allowed and is against the company’s policy.

He added that since both parties have formally lodged complaints, the company is giving the police full cooperation in its investigation.

He insisted that passenger safety is the company’s top priority.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-22 footer_n.gif

What!! 'seen hit over the head!!!' Not in the youtube vid I saw he wasn't. Came through gate already bloodied. I did however see him shove and try to kick a guard. Another farang was restraining him. 15 pages in....may I suggest a fresh look at the vid as I have just done?

• Like 1