Ipstar Up To 512 Kb/sec

monty

I just noticed CSLoxinfo now offers faster speeds on their IPSTAR system!

Star Express Magabit 1, 512/128 speed, data traffic of 1.5Gb. Monthly fee of 5000 Baht, which is only 500 Baht more then the same package at 256/128. If you need speed, and the system performs as advertised this woud be a good deal I think...

IPSTAR packages

Guest IT Manager

Having worked with IpSTAR for some time now, I like the technology. What I dislike intensely is the CSLoxley support, which borders on non-existent.

My clients depend on me for support, rather than on the "engineers" who drive it, who generally are bordering on useless when it comes to letting me know what is happening to the system.

I have developed a few methods of getting the details myself which is good, but with such a new system, I feel it would be better to have the engineers available when there is a problem.

That having been said, it isn't the system. I have seen it in operation in several other locations apart from Thailand, and I know with good engineering support, it works brilliantly. I am looking forward to accessing 512 at a reasonable cost, but like H.E. the owner of the company, they are not big on being critiqued, properly or otherwise.

All we need to do is wait until the current crop of engineers admit they are unsure why the packet loss exceeds 22%, and to make some sort of effort to fix that single problem, somewhere around the load share manager, then we will have a system that does what it can and does do in other places, doing it here.

I just noticed CSLoxinfo now offers faster speeds on their IPSTAR system!

Star Express Magabit 1, 512/128 speed, data traffic of 1.5Gb. Monthly fee of 5000 Baht, which is only 500 Baht more then the same package at 256/128. If you need speed, and the system performs as advertised this woud be a good deal I think...

IPSTAR packages

Great news, I have sent them an email for upgrading my IPstar account.

Let's see how many weeks it takes before they answer, if their Customer Service even bother.

Got an email from IPstar support:

We are sorry for late reply. According to your email, we would like to

inform you that the effective date of changing service is the 1 st of every month. If you would like to change your service from Express Light- 2 to Express Megabit - 2, the effective date will be 01/02/04.

For further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact iPSTAR

Service Center 0-2263-8128 for 24 hours a day. Also, you can email:

[email protected] or [email protected].

Please refer to your Network Box number or Customer Number everytime you

contact us.

Thank you for using iPSTAR service,

Please attach the original message when reply.

*-*-*-* Happy Chinese New Year *-*-*-*

Sincerely,

iPSTAR Service Center

CS Loxinfo Public Company Limited

Tel: 0-2263-8128

Fax. 0-2263-8005

E-mail : [email protected]

Isn't it amazing that they don't want my business? I am chasing the sales manager and see if he cares about existing customers.

######,

I'll probably be needing an ip star connection soon. By the look of your tagline you are in the neigborhood of chiangmai?

If so Are you availeble , and at wat price?

I'm a network consultant myself so i probably can try it but it's always easyer to have somebody there wo has done it himself.

B

Guest IT Manager

You can't have me in a biblical sense. I asked my wife, she flatly refused.

For the IpSTAR, yes but better to talk about it to make sure it's what you need.

Yes I am in CM. :D:o:D

• 4 weeks later...

dear bartender100,

we have been using ipstar for around a week.the speed is very fast but Im finding that for the average hour of surfing the internet-visiting yahoo,amazon etc Im using around 100mb per hour,with no downloading of mp3s at all-only reading text.This has been a real shock as we were advised that 750mb would be enough for the average internet user per month.I could very easily use the whole 750mb in one day!

Id say that it would be cheaper to go out and buy a cd at full price than download songs using ipstar.

what ipstar package are fairly heavy internet users using.can anyone recommend a package that would allow me to surf the net for a couple of hours a day?

we have had some problems with csloxinfo also in that they allow their server to be down for ages-before yesterday we were cut off for 20 hours.their engineers were telling us the problem was at our end as we couldnt recieve any data, 20 hours later and lots of expensive phone calls to bangkok,they said their engineers failed to tell them the problem was at their end.still its working at the moment.

cheers,

M

Hi dingfishingtours

Thank you for the info,I have installed and up and running,I went for the B5000 package,which gives you 1.5 GB.I am really sure this is going to be used very fast.

I am on the web about 8 hours a day,as I day trade.Having such a fast connection is also very tempting to mega surf.Just have to wait and see what happens.

Hi dingfishingtours,

I think you should be checking your PC for programs connecting to the internet on the background, a virus or loads of spyware! It's virtually impossible to use that much only browsing the web. The theoretical maximum you can download through a 256 kbps connection is only 112.5 Mb (or around 25 Mb through an almost perfect modemconnection)!! This would mean your connection is going full blast non-stop for an hour to get what you're using... As a comparison, 100 Mb gives you around 100 minutes of MP3 music...

thanks for the reply from my post-bartender ,I am also using the computer for daytrading-now the markets are picking up and the game fishing business in thailand is difficult(more so without a work permit)so the monthly outlay is not too expensive really.

monty thank you for your post-I have already had the engineer out to check the computer and he found it was running OK and reckoned that this was a normal amount of MB's per hour as he said that the computer is still uplaoding/downloading even when you are reading text????As an example Ive just been online for 10mins and the total data transmitted is -any further comments welcome

Ive been online for around 15 mins and alrseady used 40mb's...Bartender ,how much are you using per hour?

I want to use straemed data but that would be too expensive.

Thanks \\\

M

Hi dishfishingtours,

Try and get somebody else to check, ther should be NO uploading/downloading whatsoever while you're reading text! This means that there is indeed something else using the internet on your PC...

I have one customer who is daytrading, he uses streaming data from ameritrade, has some candlestick charts on streaming data, does a couple of trades per day, is perma

permanentl connected through a chatbox and checks several newsites and hotmailaccounts every day....

his average daily use: between 15 and 20 megabyte!!

If you're in the Pattaya area, I'm happy to check it out for you, or if you wish you're free to check out my (and my daytrading's friend's) set-up!

We're on the IPTV system by the way...

dingfishingtours

I can't check yet as I have to wait for them to confirm my user name and password,the lady that set my account up said 2 weeks,was this the case for you?

What markets do you trade?I stick to the UK,although I do have an acount with Semico here in thailand,but I have not used it much as the uk market has been very good to me this last 12 months.

monty and bartender ,

thanks for the info.

I am also enjoying the 2 weeks unlimited as we have only just installed last week.We cannot see the total amount of MB's downloaded although on the ipstar page where you check your signal strength we can see the amount used on each session.Id be very interested in how much you are using per hour?so as I know if the computer has a virus problem like Monty suggested.

Monty Ive just checked again and can confirm that data is being both sent and recieved when Im reading text.The only page I have open now is thaivisa and both counters are slowly but steadily ticking up.It seems like the more browsers I have open the more its using,this time its only eaten 10mbs in the 15mins Ive been online.

cheers,

M

Guest IT Manager
dear bartender100,

we have been using ipstar for around a week.the speed is very fast but Im finding that for the average hour of surfing the internet-visiting yahoo,amazon etc Im using around 100mb per hour,with no downloading of mp3s at all-only reading text.This has been a real shock as we were advised that 750mb would be enough for the average internet user per month.I could very easily use the whole 750mb in one day!

Id say that it would be cheaper to go out and buy a cd at full price than download songs using ipstar.

what ipstar package are fairly heavy internet users using.can anyone recommend a package that would allow me to surf the net for a couple of hours a day?

we have had some problems with csloxinfo also in that they allow their server to be down for ages-before yesterday we were cut off for 20 hours.their engineers were telling us the problem was at our end as we couldnt recieve any data, 20 hours later and lots of expensive phone calls to bangkok,they said their engineers failed to tell them the problem was at their end.still its working at the moment.

cheers,

M

Please, please please, don't use the "general" tab on your ipstar connection to mintor your traffic.

go to httP://custmenu.cscoms.com/ipstar/ and log in using the ID and PW you gave them.

That is where your billing comes from.

We average about 7Gb per month through our system. With 40 machines online.

PM me direct if you need assistance.

IT