Anvil

samsiam

There are still blacksmiths around. This guy works out of Luk Kae in Kanchanaburi.

Blacksmith_6.sized.jpg

Blacksmith_7.sized.jpg

Back home in Canada when I'm making knives I use a foot long section of railway track. It's perfect for the job, but any big block of steel will work.

There are still blacksmiths around. This guy works out of Luk Kae in Kanchanaburi.

Blacksmith_6.sized.jpg

Blacksmith_7.sized.jpg

Back home in Canada when I'm making knives I use a foot long section of railway track. It's perfect for the job, but any big block of steel will work.

i thought everything that used to be made by blacksmiths and anvils was now mass produced in a industrial estate on the outskirts of guangdong or shanghai :)

i thought everything that used to be made by blacksmiths and anvils was now mass produced in a industrial estate on the outskirts of guangdong or shanghai smile.png

This blacksmith has been making stuff out of raw metal for the 9 years I've been visiting Kuk Kae. Most of his tools are basic and simple, but if paid to spend the time he can turn the right kind of steel into a nice knife.

Blacksmith_5.sized.jpg

Blacksmith_12.sized.jpg

i thought everything that used to be made by blacksmiths and anvils was now mass produced in a industrial estate on the outskirts of guangdong or shanghai smile.png

This blacksmith has been making stuff out of raw metal for the 9 years I've been visiting Kuk Kae. Most of his tools are basic and simple, but if paid to spend the time he can turn the right kind of steel into a nice knife.

Blacksmith_5.sized.jpg

Blacksmith_12.sized.jpg

Ian you know too much stuff dry.png

in Bolivia they ain't got no blacksmiths...the indigenous folks fashion a blade from a heavy grade tin can, disposable and sharp as a razor and often used to slaughter cute, furry guinea pigs for the afternoon meal...

tutsi approaches a young campesina woman that works at the grandparents house in the bolivian countryside who is squatting on the ground by the kitchen in the dusty courtyard and has a basket of guinea pigs to prepare for lunch and sez: 'whatcha got there, Romualda?...' she mutters something in quechua and then tucks up her pollera (an indigenous skirt with a million petticoats) so that tutsi can't see that she is wearing no underwear...

dusty courtyards, big healthy campesina girls with no underwear and guinea pigs for lunch and slaughter...and tutsi survived it all...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

^^indigenous women in the andes that use traditional dress don't usually wear underwear as the voluminous 'pollera' keeps things discreet...you could be walking behind then a campesina woman would squat and then leave a little puddle then stand up and carry on, the pollera is like a tent...Romualda was a very attractive indigenous girl and the thought of her with no underwear was difficult to bear...she scorned my attentions, naturally and my aunt Alicia would observe and click her tongue and beseech that I didn't act disgracefully...I was just carrying on with a tradition that was hundreds of years old in Latin America with white men oppressing the native women...it was 1965...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

^^indigenous women in the andes that use traditional dress don't usually wear underwear as the voluminous 'pollera' keeps things discreet...you could be walking behind then a campesina woman would squat and then leave a little puddle then stand up and carry on, the pollera is like a tent...Romualda was a very attractive indigenous girl and the thought of her with no underwear was difficult to bear...she scorned my attentions, naturally and my aunt Alicia would observe and click her tongue and beseech that I didn't act disgracefully...I was just carrying on with a tradition that was hundreds of years old in Latin America with white men oppressing the native women...it was 1965...

Great memories eh, Tutsi?

Occasionally I go down memory lane and it always brings a smile to my face. There are things that happened 50 years ago that are still as clear in my mind as the day they happened.

Great memories eh, Tutsi?

Occasionally I go down memory lane and it always brings a smile to my face. There are things that happened 50 years ago that are still as clear in my mind as the day they happened.

yeah, Ian...looking back, it's not so much the actuality but the idea of a California surfer boy in the bolivian andes with cholita girls with no underwear...Romualda was a knockout (beautiful tits with no bra, tall and with hips that almost had no boundaries) but my pal Oto said: 'don't mess with the campesina girls, tuts... it's just 'not done' '...'oh yeah?...and why not?...'...and then, years later, I thought: 'yeah, he's right...could my old girlfriend in California slaughter and prepare a half dozen guinea pigs fer lunch and not blink? regardless of the underwear issue?...'

one re-evaluates when the years advance...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

then...a little earlier I was in the Chapare jungle near Cochabamba with my uncle who was the local engineer during school holidays working on a road crew clearing the right of way with a machete...we were drinking chicha with some rough types, equipment operators and the like and I mentioned that some of the local indigenous girls were quite pretty...then a drunk 'dozer operator got up and thrust out his crotch and said: 'you like them girls? well, their vaginas (he used a coarse word) are like this!' and indicated a horizontal line across his out thrusted crotch...and then there was drunken laughter...the dude was half assed indigenous himself and I could never understand the self hatred of the half indigenous people...he spoke quechua better than he spoke spanish....

later, I sat in a candle lighted hut one evening near a jungle crossroads and we had tapped a barrel of chicha just delivered that afternoon from Cochabamba and the entire dialog was in the quechua language with my pal Raoul's profile in the candlelight speaking softly with the indigenous 'duena'...I then realised that I wasn't in Pasadena, California anymore...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Did the campesina girls have Anvils for sale ??

I highly doubt it. They were always on the move and anvils are too heavy to carry far.

By the way, I was just curious why you WANTED an anvil. Are you planning on competing with the locals at blacksmithing?

Or, do you have a neighbour in the apartment below that needs something heavy dropped on his head.

Did the campesina girls have Anvils for sale ??

nah...I just wanted to say that the campesinos only needed some tin shears to make a simple cutting device and that no anvils were needed...and, as an aside that the girls didn't wear underwear...

oh well, looks like I shall haveta issue a study guide next time...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

useta be you could get a heavy vise to attach to a work bench that had an anvil surface that you could pound on...me dad useta have a nice one in our garage at home when I was a kid that he bought at a car boot sale...someone said that there are hardware places in BKK in chinatown...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I would like an anvil, but I am confused. Do I look undera Bolivian's pollera or head straight to the Campesina ACME?

like the bulldozer operator said in the bolivian jungle, the horizontal aspect that you would find under the lady's pollera may add to your confusion...