Recent Eastern Trat Trip Reports For Family Trip

jaideeguy

I've been wanting to bring the family down to the eastern trat coast line [near the Cambodian border] for a while.....especially since the air quality is so bad up north and would like to get some recent trip reports on simple bungalow acomocations on the beach facing Ko Chiang.....hopefully off the beaten tourist track and have a few questions.....

Hows the air quality down there??

And water quality in the ocean....clean?

Mid range hotel/resort availability?? and suggestions/contacts.

Thanks in advance.....

The air quality is good, the water is generally clean - certainly where I live.

The weather is a bit changeable at present, a few recent thunderstorms. There are plenty of places to stay on the island - it really depends on a) what you are looking for B) price

The island caters for a wide range of tourists, and whilst it's not over-developed it's not exactly deserted. The peace an quiet is really on the East side of the island, which is very pleasant. Whitesands is the busiest of the towns here, probably followed by Lonely Beach which is a bit of a back-packer spot.

Some nice places between Had Kai Mook and Kae Bae that are worth looking at hotels included, and have a look on Trip Advisor to check a few of them out - I think the beach between Chai Chet and Kae Bae is one of the best.

You really shouldn't have much problem in availability of hotels at present, although expect that to change maybe around Songkran.

I was inquiring about the coastline near the Cambodian border....not Ko Chang.....been there/done that years ago and I know that i will be disapointed in the changes. Looking at the map, the west facing coastline of Trat seems much less developed and have heard that there are a few small bungalow type resorts and much less tourists. Can anyone confirm that and maybe give me some info/links on that area?? as well as a 'haze report'??

SBK.....Thanks for moving my OP to the eastern Thailand forum, as I had always assumed that Trat was 'central'......hopefully it will get more exposure and replies.

Only thing i can confirm is that is much less developed than the islands.

.I was on that road couple of years ago and i noticed at least 2 resorts on the coastline between Trat and Had Lek.

They seemed cozy and medium-range, although i guess they don't have many customers.

Btw, i hear from people who go to beaches in undeveloped locations, and almost invariably complain about sand-flies, a very small insect which for some reason seems to prefer less-anthropized beaches, and whose bite can be quite annoying.

For some info on the resorts, i would look on internet for some Tourist Office in Trat, get their phone number and call them :)

There are a lot more than two resorts now, and more on the way.

There is a Centara at the high end (Centara Chaan Talay Resort & Villas Trat) and lots of mom and pop places on the low end.

Had Ban Cheun is a nice spot around the 57 km marker. There are bungalows on the beach there for around 1,000 baht.

The sand is white and the water so-so (can just make out your feet if standing neck deep). Quite a lot if garbage washed up on the beach, though the bungalow owners make an effort to try to clear it.

No nasties of the air or water-borne varieties, except for mosquitoes around sunset.