Using Thai Driving Licences To Drive In The Uk

gmac

I read on another thread of the possibility of using a Thai licence to drive in the UK to which someone responded that any licence can be used for a period up to one year. Another poster added the proviso that this only applies if you do not hold a UK licence which would 'trump' the Thai one.

My question is, having lived in Thailand for a number of years and 'burnt my bridges' so to speak with the UK can I let my UK licence expire (next year, I think) and rely on my Thai versions for riding a bike, car rental etc when visiting the UK on an occasional basis in the future?

if a thai licence is recognised in the uk .like people say it is for 1 year

it should be no problem to rent and drive something with it

if i was renting big motorcycles in uk and knew what the thai driving test consists of ,i would refuse to rent to a

person who showed up with a thai licence :D

its amazing you can get a unlimited motorcycle licence for riding around a car park on a 115cc honda click but TIT

and we love it :)

You would have to use the Thai lic to get the International one. But even then you would have issues if you were stopped in the UK and having a UK Lic. Remember the card last for ten years only the Paper counterpart is until your 65th Birthday.

You would have to use the Thai lic to get the International one. But even then you would have issues if you were stopped in the UK and having a UK Lic. Remember the card last for ten years only the Paper counterpart is until your 65th Birthday.

is a thai licence not internationaly recognised then ? how much does it cost to get international one in thai DLT ?

It might also be relevant if you are still considered a UK citizen or resident. E.g. In N.S.W. Australia they are very specific that you can use an overseas licence only if you are a temporary overseas visitor. Their definition of who is a temporary overseas visitor is"

"If you are not an Australian citizen or not a permanent resident of Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor.

Temporary overseas visitors can include:

Tourists.

Business people on limited-duration visits.

People studying or working temporarily (eg working visa holders) in NSW"

This a link to the UK DVLT about using an overseas licence

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/index.htm

Edited by taichiplanet

Using a Thai license in the UK is OK and I believe that you do not require an international permit just the English/Thai version of the Thai licence.

But if you get booked you can not pay the fixed penalty, you have to go to court. This can be time consuming and will cost more as you have to pay the £15 victim surcharge.

I've rented on my Thai license even when it was totally in Thai (I'd forgotten my UK licence).

Interesting. Thanks for the responses. It's the 10 year aspect of the UK licence that bugs me as I rarely visit and don't fancy the aggravation, and no doubt scandalous expense, of renewing when it expires fairly shortly.

Interesting. Thanks for the responses. It's the 10 year aspect of the UK licence that bugs me as I rarely visit and don't fancy the aggravation, and no doubt scandalous expense, of renewing when it expires fairly shortly.

the thai licence wil bug you even more ,it expires every 5 years :D

but its cheap and easy to get a new one ;)

renewed my uk driving license a couple of months ago cost £10

had to fill in form,enclose photocard AND green paper bit and send with new photos and chq.changed address to my daughters place at same time

its now sitting at my daughters house waiting for my return

if u know somebody in uk get them to send out the form to thailand

It shouldn't be a problem as long as it is the newer cards(not the forgible lamitated ones years back.)

I know the U.S ,Canada & France all recognize the newer Thai licences as an accepted Lic. in their countries. Not sure of England but They are modern & it probably is as it is in the U.S. Same 1 year applies in the U.S.

However there is a drawback no one mentioned yet. You will be charged a heftier rate as an international driver on auto rentals bike trucks or whatever moves or floats.Even in Mexico years back it cost almost 25% more to rent a car because it was rented on a U.S. License.

Edited by Beardog

There's a lot of read up to do on this and everyone has there own view on it, briefly :-

Firstly, the UK, from memory if you are out of the UK for more than 2 years you are supposed to surrender your license because you are considered a non resident but who does, I didn't.

Secondly, again UK DVLA site says you can drive a motor car or ride a motorcycle from another country if you have a valid full driving license for the vehicle, up to 1 year.

Thirdly, If the license is from Thailand it is better to get a IDP ( Internation Driving Permit ) from the DLT, although you may probably not need it, always better to be safe than sorry if it comes to some insurance claim.

Finnally, Talking insurance, make sure the UK insurance company know what license you are driving with, we all love insurance companies little get out clauses, and we always read the small print of all documents, don't we. rolleyes.gif

PS. You can use your UK license if it is still valid but when you say it expires you must be coming up for 70 year so it really isn't worth renewing anymore IMO.

Edited by Kwasaki

Firstly, the UK, from memory if you are out of the UK for more than 2 years you are supposed to surrender your license because you are considered a non resident but who does, I didn't.

I don't think that is true.

Officially a one year licence is not valid outside Thailand but a 5 year is although you may need to get an IDP from the road transport department for some countries too.

You don't need an IDP in the UK and I don't think having a 1 year Thai license instead of a 5 year one would affect you renting a motorcycle or getting insurance.

Hmmmm......mine's valid until my 70th Birthday, ....the Paper Counterpart, that is.

Officially a one year licence is not valid outside Thailand but a 5 year is although you may need to get an IDP from the road transport department for some countries too.

You don't need an IDP in the UK and I don't think having a 1 year Thai license instead of a 5 year one would affect you renting a motorcycle or getting insurance.

Maybe not renting, maybe not getting but maybe in receiving insurance claims as it is issued as a temporary licence in the same way as probationary licences. It is not a valid licence outside Thailand.

Maybe not renting, maybe not getting but maybe in receiving insurance claims as it is issued as a temporary licence in the same way as probationary licences. It is not a valid licence outside Thailand.

It's not the same as a UK provisional license as once you have the 1 year Thai license you already have passed all the tests and have the same rights as any other drivers on any license. You can't get the Thai IDP on a 1 year license but that doesn't matter as you don't need the IDP in the UK. If the UK DVLA accepts it, I don't see how anything else matters.

P.S where does it say it isn't valid outside of Thailand? And how could they stipulate what other countries see as valid or not anyway, it is up to those other countries to decide what they accept or not.

It's not the same as a UK provisional license as once you have the 1 year Thai license you already have passed all the tests and have the same rights as any other drivers on any license. You can't get the Thai IDP on a 1 year license but that doesn't matter as you don't need the IDP in the UK. If the UK DVLA accepts it, I don't see how anything else matters.

P.S where does it say it isn't valid outside of Thailand? And how could they stipulate what other countries see as valid or not anyway, it is up to those other countries to decide what they accept or not.

see http://www.aseansec.org/7372.htm especailly article 1

Is the wrong answer! The Thai license is valid in the UK since it is written in English, as such there is no need for an IDP.

Indeed it's not true. I've been outside the UK for eight years and last year, whilst on holiday in the UK, I managed to get stopped by the Police and fined. I duly turned in my UK license at the Police Station and it came back a couple of weeks later, complete with three points. The moral of this story boys and girls is don't use your mobile phone whilst driving in the UK!

Is the UK in ASEAN?

Is the UK in ASEAN?

No but it does indicate the 1 year licence is a temporary or restricted licence. This does also appear in thai language information but I cannot get an accurate translation.

No skin off my teeth if you do not believe me. That is why Thailand will not issue an IDP (although the UK does not require IDPs) and agreements specify a full licence.

My reply was a full and complete reply to your question which asked: "P.S where does it say it isn't valid outside of Thailand? And how could they stipulate what other countries see as valid or not anyway, it is up to those other countries to decide what they accept or not."

Edited by harrry

ok. it would seem that I'm finally lucky. my UK license was revoked for non payment of a speeding fine (I was not in the UK when it came through) . so I'm ok to use my full 5 year Thai licence (both bike and car)

I believe you are right I must stop trying to remember things I have read on Forums. rolleyes.gif

As long as you have a UK address your OK I guess.