Incident At The Cinema Regarding The King'S Anthem

Jingthing

OK, I was at the cinema and witnessed quite an unusual spectacle.

During the King's anthem, in front of me there was a group of four people, two of them superficially appeared Thai, then there was a blonde haired woman, and a child of approximately ten years old who could have been Thai, or not. The child was NOT sitting next to the blonde woman.

The child was DANCING.

I was certainly surprised. You don't see that often I'm sure. But it was a child. Thinking about it later, an adult should have stopped her ... but ...

At my row level, a working class type middle aged Thai starts screaming at them aggressively. She keeps dancing. I make the connection about what is happening, but again, a young child.

So now it escalates. The Thai man dramatically jumps over the seats and starts to physically threaten the group of four. With him, is his female companion, who is admirably trying very hard to physically restrain and calm down her apparent mate.

So then there is a shouting match. One of the Thais in the group is saying something about farang which I didn't understand to defend himself. For a few moments, it wasn't clear how it would go, the aggressive Thai man seemed torn on whether to physically attack, or not. He didn't.

I present this as a slice of life without further comment.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder if the BTS incident has sort of...heightened...Thai nationalistic sentiments. Alot of Thais are seeing a foreigner act inappropriately on Television and on the internet and may be on a "Falang you will act appropriately" kind of bent to actually get angry about it. Don't get me wrong, Thais take the anthem very seriously all the time. But usually I think they're might be a little more leeway to an obvious foreigner than this. I can't say I've ever witnessed something like this. Usually everyone respectfully still during the anthem...even little kids. Usually if it is a kid, they'll be gentle about telling them to stand still..especially if it is a foreigner's kid.

• Like 2

It annoys me when people in my country no longer stand for the national anthem, but each to their own I suppose. But this guy seems to have acted like a complete tool. If it was an adult, yeah that would have shown a lack of respect, but not a kid.

• Like 2

^^

American? Usually (at least most people I know) pay respect when the national anthem is played at like sporting events and whatnot. Goofing off during the Star Spangled Banner (in my opinion) would probably result in someone throwing something at you at pretty much every stadium I've been too.

I was in the cinema on a weekday together with half a dozen Thais spread out amongst various seats behind me when the King's Anthem came on. I stood up as per usual, and turned to look back at the Thais in the cinema and not one of them was standing.

One of my most enduring memories of Thailand is seeing on Television the naming ceremony of the youngest princess. The love of children by the thai people could not be better shown by the way the older Royal children ran from person to person and climbed onto he knees of the highest in the land just like kids in a living room with their favourite uncles. Being children and acting like children was not considered an affront then, In contrast lookj at the way the English Royal Family hide their children unless they can sit still for hours.

Don't believe that Jingy

without further comment bit I mean

Huh?coffee1.gif

Don't worry about slaps ... he's on a Mod's caution exactly about this.

As for me, I am a fan of stand for the King.

Necronx99 and I might disagree about this, but that's cool.

Edited by David48

They were standing. I haven't really experienced cinema crowds not standing. Even when there are 10 foreigners in the theater and no Thais in sight, the people stand. Some groups can be a little slow but it's usually because they are new to the country and don't understand the custom yet. The issue here was the child was dancing and then I suppose the other issue was the adults with her didn't do anything. When I saw the dancing I found it interesting. Didn't feel any rage. The song isn't really a dance tune so I was surprised anyone would feel moved to dance to it, even a child. Obviously, that Thai man who almost got violent has very different ... filters.

Edited by Jingthing

The offended Thai needs medication. Why shouldn't a child dance happily to their National Anthem. Surely this is not disrespectful. I reckon it'd bring a grin to His Majesty the King.

If it is offensive surely it's not a big deal.

Up the meds.

• Like 1

The offended Thai needs medication. Why shouldn't a child dance happily to their National Anthem. Surely this is not disrespectful. I reckon it'd bring a grin to His Majesty the King.

Up the meds.

Thai children stand at attention to the National Anthem every morning starting at 5 years old. So if the child was ten she already knew for five years every school day to stand at attention during the Anthem. If one does not know this surely you have not lived in Thailand with your eyes or ears open for any length of time.

Edited by kerryk

Up the meds.

Thai children stand at attention to the National Anthem every morning starting at 5 years old. So if the child was ten she already knew for five years every school day to stand at attention during the Anthem. If one does not know this surely you have not lived in Thailand with your eyes or ears open for any length of time.

I reckon the child had probably not been raised in Thailand. But I don't know any better than the enraged Thai man. Maybe someone from the group will comment? I'm sure they remember the incident quite well. Also, I am just guessing the age of the child.

Don't believe that Jingy

without further comment bit I mean

Huh?coffee1.gif

Don't worry about slaps ... he's on a Mod's caution exactly about this.

As for me, I am a fan of stand for the King.

Necronx99 and I might disagree about this, but that's cool.

When in Rome.. I stand for the Anthem because it is the done thing here, just not mine.

If they wanted us to stand for ours they would have chosen one that people knew the words to, one that didn't suck so much and one that didn't have the word 'girt' in it.

Everyone would rather have Matilda, but the looney PC brigade deemed that a song about an itinerant thief who kills himself rather than submit to the clutches of the filth would send the wrong message. Can't think of why.

When in Rome.. I stand for the Anthem because it is the done thing here, just not mine.

If they wanted us to stand for ours they would have chosen one that people knew the words to, one that didn't suck so much and one that didn't have the word 'girt' in it.

Everyone would rather have Matilda, but the looney PC brigade deemed that a song about an itinerant thief who kills himself rather than submit to the clutches of the filth would send the wrong message. Can't think of why.

The only time I remember really belting the old anthem out was at the first State of Origin that I went to when Alfie Langer returned from England and we beat NSW in an epic at Lang Park.

Back to JT ... maybe a little wrong from all concerned.

A Parent should have recognized that the sobriety of the occasion.

The Thai sounds like he went overboard.

The kid, at age ten maybe should have been aware of the body language of those around her.

'Hunger Games' ... isn't that when kids, about the age of ten years old fight to the death.

Was it appropriate for the ten year old child to be watching?

If the guy needed to say something, he could have waited until after the movie and had a friendly talk with the people and explained how dancing was considered not appropriate behavior during the playing of the anthem. Shouting and jumping over the seats makes the Thai chap look like an aggressive person.

• Like 1

If the guy needed to say something, he could have waited until after the movie and had a friendly talk with the people and explained how dancing was considered not appropriate behavior during the playing of the anthem. Shouting and jumping over the seats makes the Thai chap look like an aggressive person.

Understandable point but maybe, after the movie had finished, almost 2 hours later ... the moment would have been lost.

Maybe the Thai guy doesn't speak English?

There is no doubt he IS an aggressive person. You could kind of tell from the body language of his presumed female mate that this wasn't the FIRST time she had to try to stop him from losing it. There's definitely a back story there!

During the event, I was on the brink of contacting the management and someone (or me) would have if he had started an attack. But I was thinking, who would get arrested, the aggressive dude, the people with the girl ... or both?

Edited by Jingthing

I want to see the Hunger Games. I really enjoyed the books.

I can see how the Thai guy would get POed about the adults not controlling the kid, but, to me, he was out of line confronting them.

I wasn't even aware of the books before this movie but it didn't diminish my total enjoyment. Apparently Hollywood is seeing this as the next Harry Potter/Twilight-Vampire type franchise. Bring them on, I want more (of Hunger Games, not that other stuff)! Edited by Jingthing

Understandable point but maybe, after the movie had finished, almost 2 hours later ... the moment would have been lost.

Maybe the Thai guy doesn't speak English?

The initial shouting and eventual responses were both in fluent Thai.