Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

I dont understand why so many defend this Irish "gentleman" .

He is a guest in this country and he attacked not only one but several Thai security guards , that was a wrong thing to do and now he must take the penalty.

1zgarz5.gif .

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a guest in this country and he attacked not only one but several Thai security guards , that was a wrong thing to do and now he must take the penalty.

1zgarz5.gif .

I love this post, so now it's multiple assaults on Thai security guards!!! I guess by penalty you mean death threats to his family? The posters just get more unintelligible day by day on here.

You get your facts from where exactly?

1zgarz5.gif .

"According to Anat, Behan argued heatedly with the security guards, pushing one in the chest and kicking the chief of the station. In self-defence, a security guard hit the passenger with a scanner."

And he continued to behave aggresive later up on the platform .

1zgarz5.gif .

"According to Anat, Behan argued heatedly with the security guards, pushing one in the chest and kicking the chief of the station. In self-defence, a security guard hit the passenger with a scanner."

The same Anat that wasn't on the scene & offered an apology to Mr Behan? Hmmm... He went on to say:

"We have already removed the guard who were involved from the BTS system," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said yesterday.

He added that negligent officials - who he said were the source of the passenger's dissatisfaction - would also face a disciplinary probe and harsh disciplinary action."

I see what you mean...? Try reading the entire piece doesn't exactly tally with your comments.

Let alone the factual mistakes...

"Balloons are inflammable. We strictly don't allow passengers to bring along gas-filled balloons," Anat said

Which is clearly A. False. If they strictly enforced this "rule" why was he allowed to travel through other stations without incident

and B. Totally irrelevant as the balloons were clearly filled with air and not in fact inflammable. They didn't float, but lay prone on the floor when dropped!

1zgarz5.gif .

Yes nasty Irish man headbutting very expensive equipment, and soiling their fists wai.gif

1zgarz5.gif .

The same Anat that wasn't on the scene & offered an apology to Mr Behan? Hmmm... He went on to say:

"We have already removed the guard who were involved from the BTS system," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said yesterday.

He added that negligent officials - who he said were the source of the passenger's dissatisfaction - would also face a disciplinary probe and harsh disciplinary action."

I see what you mean...? Try reading the entire piece doesn't exactly tally with your comments.

Then we should also add that the Irish guy doesn't want any charges pressed against the security guard and things it is wrong if he loses his job.

I had a look at the video again. In the "civilised, first world" (for argument sake, UK, Europe, US), wouldn't Social Services judge Mr. Behan to be an unfit parent based on indisputable video evidence? Initial witness statements, as most intelligent people know, are highly unreliable accounts of what actually happened.

Nisa "Then we should also add that the Irish guy doesn't want any charges pressed against the security guard and things it is wrong if he loses his job."

I'm sure you don't actually read any posts you reply to. When questioning whether or not a press statement from a BTS executive not present at the scene should be taken as a valid witness statement this is relevant how?

Credit to him for not pressing charges, shows he wants to put this incident behind him. Not surprising really given the circumstances.

Your point?

I had a look at the video again. In the "civilised, first world" (for argument sake, UK, Europe, US), wouldn't Social Services judge Mr. Behan to be an unfit parent based on indisputable video evidence? Initial witness statements, as most intelligent people know, are highly unreliable accounts of what actually happened.

Yes, it's quite clear that we should just disregard all witness statements as unreliable, take video footage totally out of the context given by the cameraman and make wild speculations... as for your "civilised, first world", perhaps you'd be more comfortable there?

Nisa "Then we should also add that the Irish guy doesn't want any charges pressed against the security guard and things it is wrong if he loses his job."

I'm sure you don't actually read any posts you reply to. When questioning whether or not a press statement from a BTS executive not present at the scene should be taken as a valid witness statement this is relevant how?

Credit to him for not pressing charges, shows he wants to put this incident behind him. Not surprising really given the circumstances.

Your point?

It might show this if he wasn't going after companies for $$. Nice guys wouldn't want a dangerous violent security guard who clubs passengers with deadly weapons for no reason to stay on the job to attack others.

In all your defending the Irish guy and talking about edited and partial statements from witnesses you seem to ignore the fact the Irish Guy Says He Did Wrong ... something we all (except you?) could clearly see from watching the video.

If you don't think the Irish guy was wrong then I am not sure what you are going on and on and on about since nobody is claiming here the guards didn't do anything wrong ... we simply are stating there is no video publicly available of what they did and witness accounts as posted on an online site have been conflicting as is who actually got physical first ... well it seems clear the Irish guy kicked BTS property and got aggressive first but the reports of who struck who first are in question with some speculating the guard came up from behind and hit him while he simply spoke of his concerns related to taking the balloons onboard while others say he shoved security first.

Bottom line is we know the guy behaved wrong and BTS didn't handle it right and he should never have been allowed passed the turn style.

PS. Learn to use the quote function and then you won't have to act like you don't understand the comment as you'll have two times to read it in context.

Edited by Nisa

Your point?

It might show this if he wasn't going after companies for $$. Nice guys wouldn't want a dangerous violent security guard who clubs passengers with deadly weapons for no reason to stay on the job to attack others.

In all your defending the Irish guy and talking about edited and partial statements from witnesses you seem to ignore the fact the Irish Guy Says He Did Wrong ... something we all (except you?) could clearly see from watching the video.

If you don't think the Irish guy was wrong then I am not sure what you are going on and on and on about since nobody is claiming here the guards didn't do anything wrong ... we simply are stating there is no video publicly available of what they did and witness accounts as posted on an online site have been conflicting as is who actually got physical first ... well it seems clear the Irish guy kicked BTS property and got aggressive first but the reports of who struck who first are in question with some speculating the guard came up from behind and hit him while he simply spoke of his concerns related to taking the balloons onboard while others say he shoved security first.

Bottom line is we know the guy behaved wrong and BTS didn't handle it right and he should never have been allowed passed the turn style.

PS. Learn to use the quote function and then you won't have to act like you don't understand the comment as you'll have two times to read it in context.

"I am not sure what you are going on and on and on about" coffee1.gif

Yes, it's quite clear that we should just disregard all witness statements as unreliable, take video footage totally out of the context given by the cameraman and make wild speculations... as for your "civilised, first world", perhaps you'd be more comfortable there?

Not at all, I'm completely comfortable here in Thailand, thank you very much.

It is clear that you are convinced that Mr. Behan's action were totally justified, based on what allegedly happened before the video started rolling. That's completely your prerogative of course. I question the so called blow to Mr. Behan's head - it could have easily been a scuffle and any hits could have been unintentional; after all, have you never accidentally knock something over with a hand or elbow?

What is undeniable is that even Mr. Behan's friend resisted his efforts to barge his way up the stairs to the platform. If you don't believe me, watch the video again (1:25)

But what should security do if a customer is acting the way Mr. Behan was?( Post 554)

So, except from the opinion of BigJohnnyBKK, we still don't know from any other poster what security should or can do in such a case.

Edited by luckyluke

But what should security do if a customer is acting the way Mr. Behan was?(Post 554)

So, except from the opinion of BigJohnnyBKK, we still don't know from any other poster what security should or can do in such a case.

Not sure of laws or expectations in Thailand but I would hope they would use all force needed to stop somebody from entering the train or getting anywhere near it if they are told they cannot enter be it because they are smoking, have balloons or other banned items or security for whatever reasons feels they pose a risk. There is no right, as far as I know to be able to ride the BTS, and if those charged with protecting this property forbids somebody from entering then they should be able to enforce this by any responsible means including force if needed. However, with the ability and having an expectation to use force comes responsibility including for the BTS to ensure guards are properly trained and screened.

I don't take the BTS as often as the MRT but it seems the security is much more lax than the MRT from what I see. The MRT have actual cops with guns that are very sharply dressed, young and in very good shape and extremely professional looking ... almost kind of have a special forces look. They also have medical emergency (triage) locations along the MRT as well as rescue workers. Not to mention it is a rarity to not have somebody screening you at a metal detector before you enter.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

But what should security do if a customer is acting the way Mr. Behan was?(Post 554)

Not sure of laws or expectations in Thailand but I would hope they would use all force needed to stop somebody from entering the train or getting anywhere near it if they are told they cannot enter be it because they are smoking, have balloons or other banned items or security for whatever reasons feels they pose a risk. There is no right, as far as I know to be able to ride the BTS, and if those charged with protecting this property forbids somebody from entering then they should be able to enforce this by any responsible means including force if needed. However, with the ability and having an expectation to use force comes responsibility including for the BTS to ensure guards are properly trained and screened.

I don't take the BTS as often as the MRT but it seems the security is much more lax than the MRT from what I see. The MRT have actual cops with guns that are very sharply dressed, young and in very good shape and extremely professional looking ... almost kind of have a special forces look. They also have medical emergency (triage) locations along the MRT as well as rescue workers. Not to mention it is a rarity to not have somebody screening you at a metal detector before you enter.

And again...."I am not sure what you are going on and on and on about" coffee1.gif

^

."I am not sure what you are going on and on and on about"

According to me a clear opinion from Nisa on my question ( Post 554 )

In my opinion if a customer of the BTS is forbidden something by the security, he should obey, or leave the premises, if he felt he was ill treated he should complain to the BTS management.

If a BTS customer is ignoring the order of the security and acting irresponsibly, the security should warned him about this fact, if the customer persist, he should be taken away from the BTS premises, manu militari if necessary.

Edited by luckyluke

^

."I am not sure what you are going on and on and on about"

According to me a clear opinion from Nisa on my question ( Post 554 )

In my opinion if a customer of the BTS is forbidden something by the security, he should obey, or leave the premises, if he felt he was ill treated he should complain to the BTS management.

If a BTS customer is ignoring the order of the security and acting irresponsibly, the security should warned him about this fact, if the customer persist, he should be taken away from the BTS premises, manu militari if necessary.

Point being this is clearly not relevant to the incident in question where a man was hit on the head with a weapon by a BTS guard. It's fairly clear that this isn't correct protocol for any security company, in fact it's a criminal offense.

Restrained yes, clubbed about the head? No.

It's obvious that blame lies on both sides of this situation, as stated by the victim, but however you try to twist the scenario, I think clubbing him in the head was a tad OTT...

Maybe my view is totally unjustified and actually whenever authority is questioned it should result in quick, violent aggression, possibly lethal, to those involved. Perhaps BTS guards should be armed, trained and empowered with lethal force. With this in mind perhaps some posters would be better suited to say, life in North Korea rather than Thailand...

From my experience living here such incidents are totally out of the norm and I hope it remains that way but when people defend such actions I have to question your motivation and sanity.

The MRT have actual cops with guns that are very sharply dressed, young and in very good shape and extremely professional looking ... almost kind of have a special forces look.

Looks can be so deceiving, especially in Thailand.

Maybe my view is totally unjustified and actually whenever authority is questioned it should result in quick, violent aggression, possibly lethal, to those involved. Perhaps BTS guards should be armed, trained and empowered with lethal force. With this in mind perhaps some posters would be better suited to say, life in North Korea rather than Thailand...

And no doubt if they lived there, they would make excuses for the place, telling us to leave if we don't like it.

Does NK have an expat forum?

• Like 1

An MRT Cop ... They should have these types of guys patrolling every stop on the MRT and BTS

BNM.JPG

"very sharply dressed, young and in very good shape and extremely professional looking "

... is there something more to this Nisa, perhaps one for the personal ads rather than the news forum?!

In all seriousness I fail to see that having armed guards with German shepherds on the BTS would have improved this incident, the issue is training and consistent rules not open to interpretation by both guards and passengers.

Employing guards purely on the basis of "sharp dressing and looking professional" would be inadvisable... unless the headline "man attempts to bring balloons onto BTS, gets mauled by dog and then shot" sits better with you.

I for one feel quite uncomfortable whenever I see even the BiB with firearms; a particular incident with a Phuket cop, armed and drunk, being driven home by a colleague. Upon waking in the backseat of his car, fears his car is being stolen and shoots said colleague dead, is one of many sad and unnecessary incidents that come to mind and this is an individual that did have all of the necessary training...

An MRT Cop ... They should have these types of guys patrolling every stop on the MRT and BTS

BNM.JPG

"very sharply dressed, young and in very good shape and extremely professional looking "

... is there something more to this Nisa, perhaps one for the personal ads rather than the news forum?!

In all seriousness I fail to see that having armed guards with German shepherds on the BTS would have improved this incident, the issue is training and consistent rules not open to interpretation by both guards and passengers.

Employing guards purely on the basis of "sharp dressing and looking professional" would be inadvisable... unless the headline "man attempts to bring balloons onto BTS, gets mauled by dog and then shot" sits better with you.

I for one feel quite uncomfortable whenever I see even the BiB with firearms; a particular incident with a Phuket cop, armed and drunk, being driven home by a colleague. Upon waking in the backseat of his car, fears his car is being stolen and shoots said colleague dead, is one of many sad and unnecessary incidents that come to mind and this is an individual that did have all of the necessary training...

violin.gifcrazy.gif

BNM.JPG

violin.gifcrazy.gif

That must be your most intelligent, constructive post to date! Bravo! jap.gif

the issue is training and consistent rules not open to interpretation by both guards and passengers.

The issue is farangs acting like they own the place when they are actually just welcomed guests. The other issue is people making things worse for other foreigners due to their own ego and stupidity. Regardless of what this Irish bloke did, this stuff needs to be said because everyday farangs act like they own Thailand thousands of times -- and I guess it bears repeating, they are really only graciously welcomed guests. Everyone's job is pretty simple, leave the way things are run here to the Thai people/businessmen, and behave appropriately at all times. If you choose the path of impudence, and your behavior is deemed inappropriate (by Thais), be ready for the dubious consequences, however good or bad. If you don't like that, go home.

Edited by meand
  • Like 2

Whoever made the call obviously knew where he taught. Maybe one of the parents of his students?

I for one have no idea why this guy is allowed to continue teaching after he clearly showed a disregard for Thai law. He should be fired end of story. I would not want my son or daughter being taught by a hot headed guy with no respect for law.

Maybe that's why he received the threats.

Well you appear to be as hot headed as you think he is.

The teacher involved has now joined a club of people with a very valuable higher form of education, my self included. He now possesses a PhD in Hindsight. This valuable training now tells him that perhaps he ought to have thought about his little girls desire to keep the balloons and gone back down the stairs and jumped in to a cab. Or if indeed you are going to try and get on the BTS with balloons or food or any other contraband, it is easily achieved by putting said items in a carrier bag (it helps save such things as happened to me, having to yam down a 1 liter ice cold milk shake while the guard watches because you can't take it on the train and you can't bear losing 59 baht).

This is all part of life's rich and varied tapestry. I doubt the security man is out of a job, he is now likely opening doors in MBK or Paragon. The teacher got a smack on the head, and if he were to avoid any confrontation it should be the forthcoming legal one. Drop it pick the scabs of your head and go back to how things were the day before the event.

I think there is only one apology due and that is to the little girl. Daddy should say sorry and let her know it wont happen again and perhaps the BTS should say sorry to her for hitting her Daddy on the head. Move on, there are people dying in the South and Politicians raping the country, preparing for a revolution.

" having to yam down a 1 liter ice cold milk shake while the guard watches because you can't take it on the train and you can't bear losing 59 baht"

You could have waited for the next train. tongue.png

Personally I find the excuses for threatening a man's family, his beating (regardless of his behaviour which he himself said was inexcusable).

The issue is farangs acting like they own the place when they are only graciously welcomed guests.

No, it is not inexcusable, it just shows how the mostly racist Thais "graciously" (this must have been and April joke) welcome people of different origin and skin colour.

the issue is training and consistent rules not open to interpretation by both guards and passengers.

The issue is farangs acting like they own the place when they are actually just welcomed guests. The other issue is people making things worse for other foreigners due to their own ego and stupidity. Regardless of what this Irish bloke did, this stuff needs to be said because everyday farangs act like they own Thailand thousands of times -- and I guess it bears repeating, they are really only graciously welcomed guests. Everyone's job is pretty simple, leave the way things are run here to the Thai people/businessmen, and behave appropriately at all times. If you choose the path of impudence, and your behavior is deemed inappropriate (by Thais), be ready for the dubious consequences, however good or bad. If you don't like that, go home.

Thanks for quoting me completely out of context to my post and then launching on a personal rant that has nothing to do with what I wrote; it's getting to be quite a trend here.

If you want to regurgitate your own opinions by all means please do so but I'd prefer you did it without misquoting me in your post. Was I even defending how the "Irish bloke" conducted himself?

"If you choose the path of impudence, and your behavior is deemed inappropriate (by Thais), be ready for the dubious consequences, however good or bad. If you don't like that, go home."

Should use that as a TAT advertising slogan!

Thanks for your valued input! jap.gif