Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always better to back down from confrontation in all situations. Unless you are fighting for your life. Unlikely either person here was targeted by the other, and both should have backed down. They didn't and it is very sad.

When I first was leaving to visit Thailand, I was told to avoid making "loud noises and sudden movements", as these are considered impolite and indeed uncivilised. While I'm sure these words applied much more in the traditional setting, I think they are good words, & to avoid conflict is desireable.

The issue is farangs acting like they own the place when they are actually just welcomed guests. The other issue is people making things worse for other foreigners due to their own ego and stupidity.

This is indeed one issue. There is also the issue of who caused the violence, but there is no way to be sure who initiated it without seeing the complete video footage.

The only actual observation I can make is based on my visit to the Asoke and Nana BTS platforms today.

I scoured the platforms, all entry ways and exits, looking for regulatory signs. The only "universal" signage I was able to find were 6 signs, "no littering", "no vending", "no smoking", "no food", "no pets" and "no flammable goods". Because I thought I may have missed something, I asked a guard to point such a sign out to me. She indignantly gestured to the "fine print" posted at the entrance to the station.

Well, after reading all the fine print, unless the English translation differs from the Thai, there was absolutely no mention of balloons.

At this point, I am beginning to wonder if the sign that has been shown to exist isn't actually a troll. Can anyone point to where this sign is actually posted? One would think that, with the current turn of events, the damned things would be plastered all over the place!

Edited by Curt1591

An MRT Cop ... They should have these types of guys patrolling every stop on the MRT and BTS

BNM.JPG

An overdressed underage boyscout at best. Could be the doorman at at go go bar......But for everybody''s sake, don't give children weapons!

Actually an armed law enforcement officer who has a college degree and military service under his belt along with both normal police training along with rescue, hostage and terrorist training to name a few.

Actually an armed law enforcement officer who has a college degree and military service under his belt along with both normal police training along with rescue, hostage and terrorist training to name a few.

How is he at handling balloon threats?

The only actual observation I can make is based on my visit to the Asoke and Nana BTS platforms today.

I scoured the platforms, all entry ways and exits, looking for regulatory signs. The only "universal" signage I was able to find were 6 signs, "no littering", "no vending", "no smoking", "no food", "no pets" and "no flammable goods". Because I thought I may have missed something, I asked a guard to point such a sign out to me. She indignantly gestured to the "fine print" posted at the entrance to the station.

Well, after reading all the fine print, unless the English translation differs from the Thai, there was absolutely no mention of balloons.

At this point, I am beginning to wonder if the sign that has been shown to exist isn't actually a troll. Can anyone point to where this sign is actually posted? One would think that, with the current turn of events, the damned things would be plastered all over the place!

The signs have been posted on the related threads. They exist. I've seen the below one for years but not sure about this station though one poster claims they are at this station but only appeared after the incident.

no-signs.jpg

Although I understand the curiosity of if there was a sign .. why does it matter? We know that he was told by BTS security this was a rule and we know he understood what they were telling him ... this is what ignited the rest of the events.

Unlike the BTS where I have seen the "no filled balloon" icon for years (on the above picture), I have never seen signs at an airport. However, they also are not allowed on planes either.

Edited by Nisa

An MRT Cop ... They should have these types of guys patrolling every stop on the MRT and BTS

BNM.JPG

An overdressed underage boyscout at best. Could be the doorman at at go go bar......But for everybody''s sake, don't give children weapons!

I wouldn't want to argue with his companion either.

I know, I have one.

• Like 1

no-balloon-sm.jpg

I have used the BTS many times, and I have never ever seen that sign once, which stations have them?

no-balloon-sm.jpg

I have used the BTS many times, and I have never ever seen that sign once, which stations have them?

I "think" the single no balloon sign can be found at Asoke. I remember seeing it somewhere and that is pretty much the only station I some times loitering around looking at stuff while waiting to meet somebody. The have signs scattered all around the even when going up the stairs or in the sky walks before you are even close to entering the ticketed area. I wouldn't be surprised if this sign was at all or most stations since they appear to have taken all the symbols off the big sign and also made them into individual ones too ... but who knows, maybe they made more of some than others.

draft_lens5015152module149870930photo_1304056576bangkok-skytrain-sign.jpg

Edit: Not sure where this pic was taken. I usually see these small signs alone or two together at most.

Edited by Nisa

If you were in your own country and a transit authority stopped you and said that what you were presently carrying wasn't allowed on the train would you stand there and argue with him over it?

Probably not because transit authorities are allowed to make calls like that based on reasonable concern. Whether or not you "thought" balloons should or shouldn't be allowed or not is irrelevant since it's apparent that it is not allowed somewhere in the rulebook otherwise they wouldn't have a sign about it to begin with.

It's obvious that a lot of guys here think they can do whatever they want. No wonder British tourists are routinely voted as the #1 worst tourists in the world.

BNM.JPG

I wouldn't want to argue with his companion either.

I know, I have one.

Wouldnt it be a bit hard to beat someone around the head with an Alsation ?....surely the metal detector would be easier to handle ?

• Like 1

No wonder British tourists are routinely voted as the #1 worst tourists in the world.

I thought that honour was all the German's ?

Further I believe the gentleman concerned was Irish, so why you bringing the British into this, He may not even have a British PP

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

If you were in your own country and a transit authority stopped you and said that what you were presently carrying wasn't allowed on the train would you stand there and argue with him over it?

As a matter of fact, yes I would, yes I have, and I have been shown the "regulation, or I have proceeded. In fact, I have done this in Thailand, at the airport, explained that they were in error, told them to call their supervisor and was waved through with the "banned" items.

In many countries, such regulations must be displayed, or they are considered arbitrary discrimination and the people trying to enforce them can be sued.

Would I become violent? Probably not. But in this case, no one on these boards knows what triggered the initial incident. What we have seen is the ugly aftermath.

-----

And yes, I have seen the "No Balloon" sign, here on the internet. In fact, I posted an image which I found, ON THE INTERNET. LIke I said, I scoured the Asoke and Nana stations, and asked the indignant guard. She pointed me to the big board of posted regulations. No Sign, no mention of balloons on the list. But, I asked "where is this sign?"

Where is such a sign, physically?

Edited by Curt1591

And yes, I have seen the "No Balloon" sign, here on the internet.

There are a number of photos of this sign on the internet and they were posted well before this incident. The sign has "No Balloons" in Thai and English as well as an illustration and it also has the BTS symbol. It is not something that anyone is making up. There are also pictures of "No Balloon" signs in other languages if you Google it, so it is not just a rule in Thailand.

Here is a different sign, also attributed to the BTS.

no_balloon_thai_bts_skytrain_sign_speckcase-p176652539938175637z8z6x_400.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

if he felt he was ill treated he should complain to the BTS management

Apparently the right way to do, and it works :

I have done this in Thailand, at the airport, explained that they were in error, told them to call their supervisor and was waved through with the "banned" items.

Edited by luckyluke

And yes, I have seen the "No Balloon" sign, here on the internet.

There are a number of photos of this sign on the internet and they were posted well before this incident. The sign has "No Balloons" in Thai and English as well as an illustration and it also has the BTS symbol. It is not something that anyone is making up. There are also pictures of "No Balloon" signs in other languages if you Google it, so it is not just a rule in Thailand.

Here is a different sign, also attributed to the BTS.

no_balloon_thai_bts_skytrain_sign_speckcase-p176652539938175637z8z6x_400.jpg

If you didn't notice, you just posted a drawing of such a sign, not even a photo of an actual sign.

I believe I just stated that this sign can be found on the internet

But, just in case someone doesn't check ThaiVisa, or the internet, before leaving the house, and to actually answer my question, can anyone point me to where such a sign is actually, physically posted?

Two, onsite BTS security guards couldn't ...

• Like 1

I'm sure that you realize that there is a picture of a sign in a BTS station with a BTS logo that has been posted over and over again on this thread. Also the Irish fellow was warned that balloons are not allowed and he ignored the warning.

Two, onsite BTS security guards couldn't ...

You mean that the Thai employees do not know what you are talking about and just tried to get rid of you? What a shock. That happens to me all the time in stores and supermarkets that actually have what I am looking for. giggle.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Whether there was a sign saying "No Balloons" is totally irrelevant.

The BTS Regulations clearly state Flammable materials are not allowed on the BTS System :

http://http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/main.aspx

ข้อห้าม

ห้ามสูบบุหรี่ และนำวัตถุไวไฟ หรือวัตถุอันตรายเข้ามาในระบบรถไฟฟ้าบีทีเอส

There is no way there can be a sign at every BTS Station specifically listing ever item which is potentially flammable but clearly Balloons are so considered - rightly so since in Thailand they are often filled with Hydrogen.

And please don't come back with "but they are filled with Air - you can see that because they drop to the ground" because that is immaterial, the Guard is not authorised to make any decision about that, he has been told balloons are banned - end of story.

Patrick

• Like 1

Whether there was a sign saying "No Balloons" is totally irrelevant.

The BTS Regulations clearly state Flammable materials are not allowed on the BTS System :

http://http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/main.aspx

ข้อห้าม

ห้ามสูบบุหรี่ และนำวัตถุไวไฟ หรือวัตถุอันตรายเข้ามาในระบบรถไฟฟ้าบีทีเอส

There is no way there can be a sign at every BTS Station specifically listing ever item which is potentially flammable but clearly Balloons are so considered - rightly so since in Thailand they are often filled with Hydrogen.

And please don't come back with "but they are filled with Air - you can see that because they drop to the ground" because that is immaterial, the Guard is not authorised to make any decision about that, he has been told balloons are banned - end of story.

Patrick

i thought it said no gas filled balloons?

but if you're using the (very broad) flammable material ban as you've quoted, as a defence, then i guess everone should just board the bts naked...

Edited by nurofiend

I'm sure that you realize that there is a picture of a sign in a BTS station with a BTS logo that has been posted over and over again on this thread. Also the Irish fellow was warned that balloons are not allowed and he ignored the warning.

I believe that I mentioned that I, myself, posted a picture of an actual sign. But, this was a photo of a sign with nothing to place it anywhere, let alone on any BTS platform. We don't know where or when it was taken.

The Thai employees had this discussion with a Thai person accompanying me. By their indignant manner, it was quite clear that they knew exactly what was being asked. One guard was at a total loss, while the other smugly pointed to the board where all the regulations are posted. As I stated, the regulations did not have any mention of balloons. It seems that some of the guards haven't read the regulations either!

One mo' again,... can anyone point us to where such a sign is actually, physically, posted?

I am not shouting. The print is mean for emphasis . Some people simply can't seem to grasp the question.

Please, show us a sign, in physical context, an I will leave the lynch mob be.

Edited by metisdead
Oversized font removed, I'll leave the bold for emphasis. Desist from using overly large font when posting.

But, this was a photo of a sign with nothing to place it anywhere, let alone on any BTS platform. We don't know where or when it was taken.

Quit shouting.

The blog that has a picture of the sign says that it was taken in a BTS station, but does not say which one and it was posted before this incident.

http://kjbishop.net/2009/06/29/mahachai.html