Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

That is interesting what Mitch says..

There is a lot of clubs bitching and moaning about Sydney. Fact is, it is very hard to attract decent players to Sydney. One of the only incentives is money. It is a credit to Sydney's backroom staff that they have recruited so well. Basically before Tippet last year the big name recruit (in the current team) was Mumford. <deleted>!

Also, that Sydney kept it secret for one year, regarding Buddy, is also a credit to the club's management. It shows that those who knew are on the same page and didn't go telling their mates. They kept it professional.

The harmonious Sydney board and management cannot last forever. When Colless goes I worry what will happen five years down the track. I hope internal politics does not get in the way of things.

Look at Brisbane. Sack their coach, no immediate replacement. Board in turmoil. 7 players are leaving this year! How many would have left if they kept Voss or at the very least had a decent replacement lined up to start immediately?

The fact that it was kept a secret for so long by all concerned is by far the bigger story and I tip my hat to those concerned that it never leaked!

The fact that Mummy was our last major signing before Tippett goes to show that the CoLA works as intended.

I see Brayshaw (Eddies bum buddy) has lashed out as well, he, like Eddie, can suck a bag'o'd****

As for Colless leaving, the Swans certainly won't let what happened to Brisbane happen, nor will the AFL let it happen. The board at Sydney is rock solid - which is evidenced by the Franklin deal.

As for St Kilda, holy shit chooka, that is crazy, such a mass exodus is quite the cause for concern. How is Harvey going down there? Would he be ready for the top job if he got the tap on the shoulder?

Riewoldt to the Pies? Hmmm makes sense that Jesse White had a chat with Malthouse then... I'm not sure how he'd handle being at the Blues, would be a culture shock having Malthouse ramming his preachings down his throat.

Trade week, love it or hate it, no denying it's making it's mark on the game wink.png

Harvey is currently a Senior Assistant at Carlton. He applied for the job at St Kilda the same time as Watters however my feeling is that the club was concerned that he was still to close to the playing group (ex team mates) However now there are only a hand full left and may be gone this year. I think the time for Harvey may have arrived. He has completed assistant coaching apprentiships at Collingwood, St Kilda and now at Carlton. Watter definitely hasn't got the support of the players.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Collingwood woes come to the surface...

Thomas will be a Blue he's relationship with Buckley has reached a stage were he and club need to depart.

Didak has spoken there were friction between himself and Buckely, and Shaws departure apparently was endorsed by the list management group not just Buckley.

Forget Harvey back at Saints just yet chooka, he is in line to be elevated from line coach to senior assistant to Buckley.

And...they say the admin but we know its eddie are totally behind the purge at woodland, the last remnants of Malthouse"s reign draws to an end.

This might be old news but Roos may hand a life line to former Bulldog Daniel Cross and would you belive? Daren Jolly....haha after the way he bagged the club earlier this year? ...nooooo plzzzz he was only ever ordinary when he played for us and I don't see it changing now.

All is quite on the trade front today....

Thomas will be a Blue he's relationship with Buckley has reached a stage were he and club need to depart.

Didak has spoken there were friction between himself and Buckely, and Shaws departure apparently was endorsed by the list management group not just Buckley.

Forget Harvey back at Saints just yet chooka, he is in line to be elevated from line coach to senior assistant to Buckley.

And...they say the admin but we know its eddie are totally behind the purge at woodland, the last remnants of Malthouse"s reign draws to an end.

This might be old news but Roos may hand a life line to former Bulldog Daniel Cross and would you belive? Daren Jolly....haha after the way he bagged the club earlier this year? ...nooooo plzzzz he was only ever ordinary when he played for us and I don't see it changing now.

Harvey will eventually coach the saints, that is his ambition but it won't be until the player group has changed. He has been involved in the game at the highest level since he 1st took the field as a 16 yr old. I will bet my 1st born that he is the next coach of the saints.

Harvey named Assistant Coach of the Year

Luke Mason September 25, 2013 10:42 AM

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-09-25/harvey-named-assistant-coach-of-the-year

And they keep fleeing St Kilda. The exodus continues total now 14.

Ledger takes a risk after frank discussion with Saints

By Jennifer Phelan 5:05pm AEST Wednesday, October 2, 2013

TOM LEDGER admits he's taken a risk by walking out of St Kilda but believes he has plenty to offer another club after realising what it takes to become an elite player.
The 21-year-old asked to be delisted by the Saints last week after a candid chat with coach Scott Watters.
The playing group dispise Watters and I think he has to go before there is no team left.

Free agency coming up and I am sure that a few players will be looking at the mass exodus at St Kilda and players actually requesting to be delisted and will be thinking there is big trouble in the club. They definitely won't be putting their hands up to go to St Kilda.

14 players??!!

Sorry Chooka, that really must be depressing

Fremantle is trying to take Colin Sylvia AlexRRR. How will that impact the Dees if he goes?

Edited by BookMan

i tried to quote Bookman post 2482 but Thaivisa gremlins struck again.

If the Hawks offered the same offer as Swans then there would have to do a trade. Hawthorn knew Franklin wanted to go to Sydney. It would have been a smart move by the Hawks.

I personally believe that Franklin will not be good for the Swans. I hope I will be proved wrong. I think Mumford's work effort would have been worth keeping. I would rate him above Reid

I have been thinking more about this Franklin deal and here are some thoughts. I haven't heard this discussed but I believe it is valid.

Is it possible that Sydney have signed Buddy to stop GWS getting traction in the Sydney market?

If GWS had signed Buddy they would have got massive and sustained publicity. Buddy is the AFL's most popular player for merchandising, twice as popular as the next player. He would have given GWS a lot of attention and media space in the Sydney market place, much at the expense of Sydney Swans.

Sydney is effectively making a commercial decision to block the opposition in its market place

What if Sydney have no intention of Franklin playing out 9 years? Maybe they get 6 years and pay him out. So really he is signing a nudge nudge wink wink contract for 6 years. Sydney could be relying on an increased salary cap down the track (If he played the extra years he could be played as a genuine Full Forward, like Lockett for Sydney, and just stand about and take some marks and kick goals)

Ripstanley, I really hope Buddy is over his <deleted> ways off the field. I fear there may be some issues and I hope this does not effect the other players if so. I hope it does not end in a mess.

With Sydney's quality midfield and now powerhouse forward options I believe he is worth 2 flags for the Swans.

i tried to quote Bookman post 2482 but Thaivisa gremlins struck again.

If the Hawks offered the same offer as Swans then there would have to do a trade. Hawthorn knew Franklin wanted to go to Sydney. It would have been a smart move by the Hawks.

I personally believe that Franklin will not be good for the Swans. I hope I will be proved wrong. I think Mumford's work effort would have been worth keeping. I would rate him above Reid

I have been thinking more about this Franklin deal and here are some thoughts. I haven't heard this discussed but I believe it is valid.

Is it possible that Sydney have signed Buddy to stop GWS getting traction in the Sydney market?

If GWS had signed Buddy they would have got massive and sustained publicity. Buddy is the AFL's most popular player for merchandising, twice as popular as the next player. He would have given GWS a lot of attention and media space in the Sydney market place, much at the expense of Sydney Swans.

Sydney is effectively making a commercial decision to block the opposition in its market place

What if Sydney have no intention of Franklin playing out 9 years? Maybe they get 6 years and pay him out. So really he is signing a nudge nudge wink wink contract for 6 years. Sydney could be relying on an increased salary cap down the track (If he played the extra years he could be played as a genuine Full Forward, like Lockett for Sydney, and just stand about and take some marks and kick goals)

Ripstanley, I really hope Buddy is over his <deleted> ways off the field. I fear there may be some issues and I hope this does not effect the other players if so. I hope it does not end in a mess.

With Sydney's quality midfield and now powerhouse forward options I believe he is worth 2 flags for the Swans.

Possible, but I assure you Melbourne football media are around 85% accurate, Frankin wanted to go to Sydney because he loves hanging out up there apparently he has mates and socializes up there, and if that's where you want to go why go to GWS and waste the rest of your playing years in a team that wont go far?

Think Frankin is use to success and wanted a lifestyle change to be close to where he likes to be so its a no brainier.

But and Sydney beware, Tippet and Franklin together might not work, we have seen it before were 2 key forwards just don't get the required results, unless the Swans have a new role for one of those guys they could be throwing there money away.

As for Colin Sylvia, said it before, he could be anything but at his age he hasn't been just patches of greatness, in a good team he could be awsum, he would fit Freos style and he fits Roos style too hate to loose him but one man does not make a team. My tip? he will stay why? simple fact is hes worth more to the Dees in experience, mentoring and earn more $, at Freo he would be a low ranked midfielder and no certainty to be in there best 22, he would have to work 3 times harder there to make it.

• Like 1

And they keep fleeing St Kilda. The exodus continues total now 14.

Ledger takes a risk after frank discussion with Saints

By Jennifer Phelan 5:05pm AEST Wednesday, October 2, 2013

TOM LEDGER admits he's taken a risk by walking out of St Kilda but believes he has plenty to offer another club after realising what it takes to become an elite player.
The 21-year-old asked to be delisted by the Saints last week after a candid chat with coach Scott Watters.
The playing group dispise Watters and I think he has to go before there is no team left.

Free agency coming up and I am sure that a few players will be looking at the mass exodus at St Kilda and players actually requesting to be delisted and will be thinking there is big trouble in the club. They definitely won't be putting their hands up to go to St Kilda.

14 players??!!

Sorry Chooka, that really must be depressing

Yes very disturbing and depressing, they don't even have that many picks in the draft.

Could Nick Riewoldt lead the next generation of Giants forwards?

In the wake of Lance Franklin’s proposed move to the Sydney Swans, the question remains: are AFL clubs other than the Swans accepting and welcoming the ‘US model’ of player administration, as flagged by Eddie McGuire on AFL360?

And if they are, is Nick Riewoldt destined to be a Giant by the end of trade week?

St Kilda have dismissed any such question after reports surfaced that other clubs have already shown interest, yet head of football Chris Pelchen and Riewoldt have said that any player would be on the table if an “exceptional offer” arose.

The Giants have surely spent the season planning for life with Lance Franklin from 2014 onwards. Nick Riewoldt provides the obvious choice in terms of a senior CHF to continue those plans with minimal tweaking.

Riewoldt also provides GWS with a marketable face going forward, arguably the biggest loss for the club when it missed out on Lance Franklin.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/10/03/could-nick-riewoldt-lead-the-next-generation-of-giants-forwards/

Edited by chooka

No chooka he isn't going anywhere, to much Chiang Mai sun for you my boy.

Told ya Hafy"s coming on down to Saint land with a few cartons of swiss vitamins to give those young boys a pick me up.

You should be looking forward to end of 2014 season, AFL will step in after Watters is sacked mid season with only one win on the board sitting stone motherless last and countless beltings, to inject 3 million and a priority draft pick, Lindsay Fox in a bloodless coue takes over as president for life and bank rolls Alistair Clarkson defection from the Hawks after routing Freo once again in the grand final, mate happy days are looming for you.

Told ya Hafy"s coming on down to Saint land with a few cartons of swiss vitamins to give those young boys a pick me up.

You should be looking forward to end of 2014 season, AFL will step in after Watters is sacked mid season with only one win on the board sitting stone motherless last and countless beltings, to inject 3 million and a priority draft pick, Lindsay Fox in a bloodless coue takes over as president for life and bank rolls Alistair Clarkson defection from the Hawks after routing Freo once again in the grand final, mate happy days are looming for you.

You seem to have your finger on the pulse at saints land. I have been getting my info from the nephew who is a physio down at St Kilda. Most of my posts about the saints have been made prior to a media report and then backed up a day or two later by media reports.

The saints of now are resembling the saints of the 80's where they self destructed from within. Took 12 years to repair the damage and believe that the saints will be cellar dwellers for the 15 - 20 years unless they get a grip now before it's to late.

• Like 1

You seem to have your finger on the pulse at saints land. I have been getting my info from the nephew who is a physio down at St Kilda. Most of my posts about the saints have been made prior to a media report and then backed up a day or two later by media reports.

The saints of now are resembling the saints of the 80's where they self destructed from within. Took 12 years to repair the damage and believe that the saints will be cellar dwellers for the 15 - 20 years unless they get a grip now before it's to late.

Sounds like they have some backroom issues with management and coaching?

Sounds like they have some backroom issues with management and coaching?

That's exactly the problem, the main being the coach, and his relationship with the players

Finger on the pulse? oh yes, lets say I was a fortune teller in another life, I can add more, Lyon not only defected because he is a professional coach and wants longtivity, be could see the writing on the wall and that is just as you said, self-destructive tendency's from a group of people who don't know how to be successful.

Same malaise came into us at Deeland once infected its hard to eradicate, not sure of the intricate workings of the saints but I bet you there is some power play playing itself out and its around the CO because its his job to kill it before it starts.

You have been through a few presidents last 8ys, (3?) most unstable club in the league, lacked any real bite in recruiting too then you go pick a "who are you" coach to take over a finalist team...something is wrong.

I recon merda will hit the fan before the start of the 2014 season, will Watters keep his job? I think he will survive to get sacked mid season, Your captain is untouchable and Watters knows that.

The key to the health of the St Kilda FC will show up in free agency, they have publicly stated there intensions, lets see if they can draw a few good players if they cant then that tells you whats going on, most professional footballers will know who to go for and who to avoid.

But hey chooka there is light at the end of the tunnel, the AFL wont let you sink...or will they? hmmm come to think of it they do wanna expand the boundary's of the AFL, if they relocate you to Darwin its only a 4.5 hr flight for you to catch a game...so its not all bad.

We were luckier than you we had Melbourne for a name so they keep us here in this cold windy place that resembles the Fawkland Island's.

It sounds plausible and not without precedent either, GWS experimented with code switching Israel Falau, the result? Fail

Would Franklin in charcoal and orange have a similar effect? I think it would. They need more than a marquee signing to get themselves any traction in the West of Sydney. Look at the Western Sydney Wanderers (of A League fame, AlexRRR will know what I'm talking about), 1st year in the comp, BOOM, winning the title. That, my chums, will put bums on seats!

GWS needed (unfortunately the horse has bolted, but I believe there's still time to get him back in the stable) to have a list that was attractive to the public. If that was the intended goal, instant success. However, one must not lose sight of a long term goal, which hopefully the AFL is aiming for.

Like the famous hair care product phrase once said - by the delicious (thanks Bruce) Rachel Hunter - it won't happen overnight, but it will happen. If that is the goal of the AFL for GWS, then let them do their thing, they're not completely uncompetitive, nor are the Suns. These 2 teams will play finals footy before the turn of the century decade :P

BM your aluminium hat must have fallen off overnight with the play 6 get paid for 9 theory :P I personally think, if anything, Buddy himself will be the downfall of the contract with an off field indiscretion. That being said, his name hasn't been in the papers in the Harbour city - could this be of the Swans doing as well :P - so this could be an indication (on face value of course) that he's either 1. kept an extremely low profile or 2. the media circus has too many dickheads up here in the other codes to deal with that they don't have enough paparazzi on hand to get the photos 3. they do have enough paparazzi to photograph him, but it's not going to sell any newspapers so it's not worth the hassle :P

Now Riewoldt I can see going to (Western) Sydney. He'd fit right in. Blonde hair blue eyes. Just needs to bring his flanno and uggies and he'll be right :P Would actually be a good move for him. Has Mummy (Shane) to keep him company and show him the sights. Speaking of Mummy, he seems a bit put out by the whole Buddy Franklin thing, not offered a contract extension and knew it wasn't going to come after the Franklin deal was announced. Put it together and jumped before he was pushed (so to speak).

Jolly to Dees, makes total sense, AlexRRR you can say what you want about Jolly when he played for Melbourne in the beginning, but there's no denying that under Roos at the Swans he was an elite ruckman. He was never going to get to that stage at Melbourne with White and whoever else they had being favoured. He's a dual premiership player, but he is getting on (31) maybe has 2 years left in him.

Hope Telstra's sorted out the connectivity at AFL house, there's going to be an overload of emails flying through their servers come 9am tomorrow :D

Jolly w00t.gif plzzzzzzzz no like.....I can still recall him fumbling along the members wing, you recon I was surprised he played in 2 GF's?

Gee you recon they would want him back after the canning he gave us in the media? think I would try and pinch Renne Kink off the saints first.whistling.gif

Cats cut Podsiadly

Why on earth would they want to cut him ?

Lack of smilies indicates no sarcasm, so with that assumption out of the way tongue.png Pods is getting on at 32///

Cats are cleaning out the old blokes. Most of their cuts should be taken up by other clubs. They have done it in the past so they will be hoping it works for them again.

Freo might attract a few players by the looks of things. Lyons and current success in the offing