Safety At Village Swimming Pools

scorecard

Can members who own / rent in village developments in Chaing Mai (or else where in Thailand) please share details on this subject:

1. Does your pool have any paid staff on duty covering all of the opening hours?

2. Does your pool have any paid staff on duty covering specific posted hours (but not all of the opening hours)?

3. Does your pool have any dedicated / assigned staff responsible for checking safety (i.e a lifeguard), on duty all of the opening hours?

4. Does your pool have any dedicated / assigned staff responsible for checking safety (i.e a lifeguard), on duty covering some specific posted hours?

5. If there is no lifeguard / safety person, do the staff who collect fees pay any attention to safety in regard to swimmers in trouble?

6. if there is no lifeguard / safety person, do the staff who collect fees pay any attention to inappropriate / boisterous behavior?

7. Does your pool have any professioanl lifebuoy rings fitted around the pool?

Any other comments on this subject very welcome.

If you would kindly share some details, would you please inidcate whether your comment is in regard to Chaing Mai village pools or village pools in another location in Thailand.

I'm not trying to do a comprehensive survey on every pool, just village / moo baan pools.

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard

No to the above anywhere I've been here.

But even more troubling... The other day I took my child swimming. I noticed that some work was being done to the pool and that the trenches were open exposing the electrical conduits which supplied the electricity to the lights inside the swimming pool. There were only 2 conductors and therefore no ground. I peeked around following the wiring and saw no grounding system anywhere. Furthermore, kids were playing with the exposed wires, pulling on them, etc. We asked the guy at the office who said "that the lights had been broken for a long time and that the breaker for the lights was turned off for several months."

In the USA (California to be exact) the building code requires 3 grounds to be in place for a pool light. The original and 2 back-ups in the event that one or more were to fail.

To me this is more serious than the buoy rings (although a good idea as well).

Well, this is Thailand and it would be impossible to expect that safe regulations (if any) would be the same as in a "western country". smile.png

Dear Semper, thanks for your reply, and I don't disagree at all with your comments.

On the other hand, in my village (fairly new) most of what i've mentioned was promised and nothing whatever has been delivered.

Also, by coincidence, many of the buyers (99% thai owners of course) have some to strong awareness of western standards on this subject and are getting quite anngry with the lack of delivery.

Overall the developer has been very customer focused, listened carefully to all requests for adjustments to the house designs, all carefully documented and signed off, and has delivered pretty well on what on the final designs agreed, and overal building quality is better the average for Thailand.

Thanks again.

Overall the developer has been very customer focused, listened carefully to all requests for adjustments to the house designs, all carefully documented and signed off, and has delivered pretty well on what on the final designs agreed, and overal building quality is better the average for Thailand.

Well, let's hope you get a better than average pool for Thailand, with all the innovative and new ideas (for Thailand).

No to everything with our condo pool, but the building security will come to quiet things down if another resident complains about rowdiness around the pool. The one saving grace is that many of the security guards, maids, etc, use the toilet in the locker rooms next to the pool so maybe they'd notice if a swimmer were in trouble (..........but, then again, maybe not)

After 30 years, I have never seen a village in Thailand with a community pool. I have seen plenty of temples and football fields and noodle shops, but never a swimming pool.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to a gated community/Moo Baan when he says village development? A year ago a child drown in our moo baan public pool. I never found out how it could happen in plain site of other swimmers and members.

After 30 years, I have never seen a village in Thailand with a community pool. I have seen plenty of temples and football fields and noodle shops, but never a swimming pool.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to a gated community/Moo Baan when he says village development? A year ago a child drown in our moo baan public pool. I never found out how it could happen in plain site of other swimmers and members.

Thank you Tywais, I am referring to a 'gated community'.

In fact I posted this message today because there was in incident which could have easily been a drowning of a small child this afternoon. and this has prompted a return of this whole discussion amongst owners. The person who noticed the small child is the maid.

The developer promised that trained staff from another of their developments, nearby, would be posted to our pool and would train a new team, but none of this has happened, and I guess I'm not holding my breath.

To other points, a little off the main topic, to share:

1. Our pool is well designed and the filter / treatment equipment is non chlorine. Our gated community is largely very young families. A good quality well managed swimming school has started classes, and they are well attended. The instructors are all properly qualified.

2. There are trained swimming lifeguards in Thailand. A Thai member of my family has the certificate (a one week course in Bkk, at Laksi) and it needs to be renewed by attending the same course every two years. The pre-requirement to attend is a bachelor degree in 'Education in Sport', or similar.

I know of two 5 star hotels (because of the family member mentioned above) in CM where all their 'sports club' staff have the lifeguard certificate. If these staff leave both hotels quickly send other 'sports club' staff to Bkk to gain the lifeguard certificate.

Edited by scorecard