Fugitive Ex-PM Thaksin Promises To Return To Thailand In Full Glory

webfact

and that folks was the Amsterdam choir and their latest hit "The shotgun of Lies". The worst aspect of the convicted criminal and fugitive from justice, Thaksin, is his arrogance. The arrogance that distorts his moral compass to believe corruption on an industrial scale is good for the country or that nepotism, bribes and manipulation are democracy. But I most fear his ability to move to state sanctioned mass murder on a whim, even the middle eastern dictators waited til their sand boxes were threatened.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other newspaper outlines that the judges are saying Thaksin is not truthful when he is saying he is in talks with the judges to get bail-agreements for Red Shirts. Aimed to 'impress' the followers of his powers, but not connected to reality.

Ha ha ha - and who to believe? It's a hornets nest!

The bashers may wish to go and listen to the actual statements in Thai.

There seems to be a wee bit of latitude shown with the TAN translation.

There always is from the bias network.

What are the actual statements, geriatrickid?

Please.

Ralph is also welcomed to have a go, as well.

go and listen to the speech.

Good non-answer.

Thank you for clearing up specifically what you meant when you implied the translation was off.

Guess it must not be off by that much.

I'll have to remember that answer myself as I post a lot of referenced material. Then, I can just blurt out anything on some post. Never mind with sources and links, just a blunt

"Go and look it up yourself"

is all that's needed when the inevitable "where's this from" gets asked.

:wai: it'll save my typing

The ex-leader also urged the red shirts not to take aggressive action against the Opposition Party but to express their willingness for negotiation to foster national reconciliation.

Agressive action???

Not exactly the words of reconciliation.

Thaksin somehow imagines that 'Agression Is Peace.'

It's right out of Orwell.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Agression Is Peace

More like Carrot or Stick,

we will harrass you if you don't agree to SHUT THE HELL UP.

"And I believe that totalitarianism,

if not fought against, could triumph again."

- George Orwell

I genuinely believe that your writing style, if it is not an affectation for poetic effect, indicates a problem for which you should seek advice

Do you say the same to CalgaryII?

"The ex-leader also urged the red shirts not to take aggressive action against the Opposition Party but to express their willingness for negotiation to foster national reconciliation"

Quite difficult to have a willingness for negotiation with ones' opposite, when that opposite is disdainful.

Thaksin don´t care about reconciliation, he don´t care about democracy.

http://www.thaivisa....is-not-my-goal/

Ha ha - excerpt - "Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices."

Maybe driving a Pink Bentley there might be possible?

The ex-leader also urged the red shirts not to take aggressive action against the Opposition Party but to express their willingness for negotiation to foster national reconciliation.

Agressive action???

Not exactly the words of reconciliation.

Thaksin somehow imagines that 'Agression Is Peace.'

It's right out of Orwell.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Agression Is Peace

More like Carrot or Stick,

we will harrass you if you don't agree to SHUT THE HELL UP.

"And I believe that totalitarianism,

if not fought against, could triumph again."

- George Orwell

Did you miss the words that said "NOT TO TAKE" preceeding the words Agressive action?

Banner Headline: Fugitive Former Premier Promises to Return to Thailand in Full Glory

Article content: "Thaksin reaffirmed he has no intention of returning from self-exile" in accordance with the plan set out by Kwanchai Praipana, saying he would soon make a glorious return to Thailand.

Good to see people only reacting to the headline without reading the content. Good to see "The Nation" has plenty of Pavlovian Dogs at thaivisa.

Ring 'dem bells!

Where's my beer!

Gk is just trolling, here is a more detailed discussion on the matter.......

Does a report with 2 ASEAN editors talking to each other in September 2011 have anything to do with listening to the original video from Thaksin this week ?

BTW, the use of the term "Full Glory", appears to be off as well. The Manager is translating the expression as "elegant", meaning with dignity and bearing. Don't believe me? Read the Korat Post for it's version of this term.

As those who are fluent in Thai will attest, expressions can have different meanings. To make representations to discuss can be interpreted to mean negotiate. It can also mean using third parties to make appearances before the judicial body deciding the bail. However, as I am sure that Bucholz and others wish to listen to the full call, I recommend that they contact Teeyai Poonsrithanakul.

And different Thais will pick slightly different meanings, but depending on their personal biases BOTH would be correct translations

Suttichai & Tulsathit discuss amnesty.

Amnesty is for those who have committed some wrong or a crime.

Thaksin insists he has done neither.

How, therefore, can there be an amnesty for such a sinless man?

Catch 22?

The sad thing is, that, had he not been so unrelentingly corrupt and greedy, Mr. Thaksin would have gone down as the best PM Thailand ever had. He brought the virtually disenfranchised Issarn area full into the political process, basically for the first time ever. He handled the '97-98 financial crises with such adroitness that even the IMF was impressed and he basically spearheaded Thailand's vault into being taken seriously as an economic force. It wasn't too many years previous (1988) to his taking office that the Asian Wall Street Journal had this to say about Thailand's economic prospects "As long as Thailand's national industry continues to be prostitution, who is going to take it seriously as a place to do business?"

It is too bad that he chose corruption over continuing good works to ultimately define his tenure as PM. My proposal for Thaksin is simply bring him back, make him "do some time" (6 months at least) and give back a share of his ill-gotten gains. Yeah & that'll happen "meuarai moo bin". But none of this BS about him "returning in full glory" unless there is a hankering for a bunch more bloodshed....

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

• Like 2

"Abhisit called on the court to clarify its work process to the public to ensure transparency. He said Thaksin's action not only ruins the credibility of the justice system, but also adds more fuel to the unsettled political conflict".

Elections have essentially settled political conflict, with political disagreements continuing, as is the case in all Democracies.

They haven't settled a thing and you SHOULD know that.

Can some of the posters please clarify some statements:

1) Thaksin said he will bail out yellow shirts? Where did you see that?

2) One poster said he is leaving because Thaksin is coming back. Can you scan and post your departure ticket please?

3) Life for foreigners has gone down since Yingluk has been in? Care to say in what ways?

4) What does living in Dubai have to do with Saudi?

5) Has anyones life (foriegner) changed in any way from the politics? (Thaksin, Abhisit,Yingluk etc.?)

Myself, I see good things coming from the Yingluk government so far. Yes it's slow but TIT.

GONE, Difficult to reply to your ridiculous post saying you see good things coming from Yinglucks government. BUT what per cent???????? unless I live overseas, and not getting the feel of things here, all I can see is cock up after cock up, blunder after blunder, wild stupid government pledges, outlaying vast amounts of money when it's not the time to do it.

A decent party in power has to be serious about the countries needs first NOT personal gain. Please observe==more and more people are not believing in the sincerity of this government---already the trust is fading fast because of it's way it throws money to contractors.

"Thaksin called on the red shirt detainees to be patient, saying that he is negotiating with the judges to help them".

What sort of country would allow a fugitive criminal to negotiate with judges?

Customer to bargirl: How old are you darling?

Bargirl: How old would you like me to be?

Thailand to Thaksin: "What sort of country would you like me to be?"

This is all making less and less sense. Thaksin says he wants reconciliation, so does Yingluck, the red shirts have their party in power and unlikely to lose it any time soon and the army will stay in their barracks so long as Mr T stays out of politics and sticks to bunkers on the golf courses of Dubai. So why doesn't he?

It's the loss of face thing so prevelent in Thailand, putting one over on the military & judiciary will help him regain it!

"Abhisit called on the court to clarify its work process to the public to ensure transparency. He said Thaksin's action not only ruins the credibility of the justice system, but also adds more fuel to the unsettled political conflict".

Elections have essentially settled political conflict, with political disagreements continuing, as is the case in all Democracies.

They haven't settled a thing and you SHOULD know that.

The elections settled

- the question regarding the government's mandate & legitimacy,

- the direction the voters want the country to go, and

- whether or Thailand could again have a change in government without intervention of the military or the courts

May not be all the issues, but certainly not trivial.

;)

BTW, the use of the term "Full Glory", appears to be off as well. The Manager is translating the expression as "elegant", meaning with dignity and bearing. Don't believe me? Read the Korat Post for it's version of this term.

As those who are fluent in Thai will attest, expressions can have different meanings. To make representations to discuss can be interpreted to mean negotiate. It can also mean using third parties to make appearances before the judicial body deciding the bail. However, as I am sure that Bucholz and others wish to listen to the full call, I recommend that they contact Teeyai Poonsrithanakul.

And different Thais will pick slightly different meanings, but depending on their personal biases BOTH would be correct translations

LOL. Come on now, be fair. Did you listen to the call in? You didn't did you? And yet you and others are relying on one version of the statements made. If I wrote that Mr. Thaksin said in his call in he loved the people of Surin, how would you know if he had said that? It wasn't included in the TAN version which was picked up by 2 of the English language papers. One interpretation of "negotiating" was that he was attempting to convey that representations would be made to the judicial body on behalf of the redshirts. The frothers as I call them, are hanging their collective hats on one version. Is this any different that the allegations made that the PM was having a tryst at the hotel? A bone is tossed to the dogs and they go crazy. It's rather telling that some joker says I'm trolling and then posts an unrelated video as if its some sort of corroborating evidence. All I ask is that the original version be consulted with and then the opinions drawn. And therein lies the problem, I don't think anyone from TAN was listening to the call in and have instead relied on 2nd hand accounts.

• Like 1

The sad thing is, that, had he not been so unrelentingly corrupt and greedy, Mr. Thaksin would have gone down as the best PM Thailand ever had. He brought the virtually disenfranchised Issarn area full into the political process, basically for the first time ever. He handled the '97-98 financial crises with such adroitness that even the IMF was impressed and he basically spearheaded Thailand's vault into being taken seriously as an economic force. It wasn't too many years previous (1988) to his taking office that the Asian Wall Street Journal had this to say about Thailand's economic prospects "As long as Thailand's national industry continues to be prostitution, who is going to take it seriously as a place to do business?"

It is too bad that he chose corruption over continuing good works to ultimately define his tenure as PM. My proposal for Thaksin is simply bring him back, make him "do some time" (6 months at least) and give back a share of his ill-gotten gains. Yeah & that'll happen "meuarai moo bin". But none of this BS about him "returning in full glory" unless there is a hankering for a bunch more bloodshed....

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

I also agree with it as far as it goes.

But

What about the other charges hanging over his head. If they drop them it will just add fuel to the two level justice system controversy.

[media] Deleted by respondent as it is misleading.

How does posting a video from September 12, 2011 have relevance to a recent phone call?

Are you suggesting these chaps had an ability to predict the future?

You shouldn't accuse me of trolling when the best you can do is post an unrelated video from last year.

Did you listen to the Thaksin phone call, or are you just participating in the thread because it serves as an opportunity to bash the man?

Edited by geriatrickid

GONE, Difficult to reply to your ridiculous post saying you see good things coming from Yinglucks government. BUT what per cent???????? unless I live overseas, and not getting the feel of things here, all I can see is cock up after cock up, blunder after blunder, wild stupid government pledges, outlaying vast amounts of money when it's not the time to do it.

A decent party in power has to be serious about the countries needs first NOT personal gain. Please observe==more and more people are not believing in the sincerity of this government---already the trust is fading fast because of it's way it throws money to contractors.

You didn't answer my question, what negative things have you seen? I can see you do not live here and by calling someones posts "ridiculous' shows where your head is at.

Can you please elaberate where you get your information that less and less Thai's are not liking/trusting the sincerety of the new government please?

---already the trust is fading fast because of it's way it throws money to contractors What do you mean by this throwing money to contractors?

The Thai government was "voted" (not self placed) by the Thai's and that indicates to me that they are just happy that their votes elected the most desired government am I wrong?

I for one have seen: Prostitution, gambling, police corruption, drug lords, pedophiles, terrorists all declining. I'm not sure what news you read?

This is Thailand and NOT farangland and if the Thai's voted this government in we should be supportive and NOT negative.