Fugitive Ex-PM Thaksin Promises To Return To Thailand In Full Glory

webfact

There was of course if you recall a rumour circulating last year that implied rightly or wrongly that Thaksin was not in the best of health.

Perhaps he is banking on a state funeral in which he would be cold rather than cool.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The translation is completely correct, he said he was in the process of talking to the judges and everything would be sorted out soon.

Thank you, again, for clearing up the other aspect that had been obfuscated at length earlier in the thread.

wai.gif

Edited by Buchholz

"Abhisit called on the court to clarify its work process to the public to ensure transparency. He said Thaksin's action not only ruins the credibility of the justice system, but also adds more fuel to the unsettled political conflict".

Elections have essentially settled political conflict, with political disagreements continuing, as is the case in all Democracies.

What red planet are you on? Political conflicts settled? Well, in Thailand they are not. Also Thailand is not and never was a democracy. And the fugitive criminal who wants to be the boss again, is not interested in democracy. He has clearly stated that. But maybe you chose to neglect that. It does not fit with your rose tinted glasses.

Let's be clear about the quote. He did not say that he was not interested in democracy, he said that democracy is a tool and the goal is to improve the lives of the people.

The USA has democracy and tens of millions without basic health insurance.

What tint are your glasses?

There is no such thing as "real democracy" being practiced anywhere on the planet. It is merely government by whichever party can cobble together a coalition, or in the States, enough delegates. Al Gore won more votes than Bush.

Hardly "By the people".

Do you think the Greeks have a "democracy"?

the States is a Republic. Take a look at their pledge of allegiance.

It is not arrogance. Those foreigners that met the criteria, made the effort and did what needed to be done, got what they wanted. I also believe that if a foreigner met many of the requirements and had exemplary attributes, with perhaps a minor weakness or two, he or she could still be accepted. For example;

- a nobel laureate in medicine,teaching at Mahidol

- Bill Gates

- Warren Buffet

- Mr. Toyota of Toyota

- Carlos Slim

The fact of the matter is that no one like the above is applying. The government wishes to reserve granting this right only to those it deems superior candidates. An applicant may be a responsible parent and own a small factory or hotel and be a good person, but that just doesn't cut it.

It's akin to the X Factor or the Idol shows where people audition on the presumption they have talent. They may entertain friends and family, but when they get to the big stage, they just can't cut it. This doesn't mean they are overtly bad people, just that they don't have the qualities to be a star.

And your point on someone that applied that was a moderator? Does being a moderator impart some sort of extra points when applying for PR? I'm sure some are very nice people, but again that doesn't mean they meet the criteria. Anyway, considering recent history, I really don't think that's a direction you want to head in.

PR has a set number of requirements.

When applications are frozen, i.e. not handled anymore, it isn't about applications not being up to snuff. It is about them not caring to handle them anymore for normal elegable applicants.

You are trying to infer something that isn't the case - unless you are trying to say that they increased the demand, but also decided that the new policy was to not even process those applications that didn't come through a backdoor. That isn't what is called an corruption-free and transparent approach.

If people weren't elegable in the past their applications was rejected. That is how it is done.

<he will use his own money to bail everyone out.>

Funniest thing I've read in ages!

Almost as funny as he paid off the IMF loan with his personal money. I have heard this countless times here in Isaan.

Thaksin used the word เท่ which means chic, classy , smart, elegant, I think 'dignified' might even be a better word here, for he meant he wanted to return to Thailand in a proper way, cases cleared, plane landing at the airport, cheering supporters, not crossing a land border surrounded by farmers with a jail sentence awaiting him, ie messy.

I think we can all agree that he meant 'dignified'. It is still disgusting.

Now lets move onto the media's claim that he stated that he has been speaking with the judges, and geriatrickid's allegation that this statement may have also been mistranslated. So what were the exact Thai words?

The translation is completely correct, he said he was in the process of talking to the judges and everything would be sorted out soon. In the event of the government not having the money to put up bail, he would use his own money.

Perhaps he meant the lunch boxes with 2 million baht inside had been dispatched again!

What a terrible example he is for those Thais who want to see a country run by honest leaders.

Isn't the appropriate translation "making representations". TAN used the words talking to judges which other media outlets have picked up.

Know what i find odd in all of this?

Neither TAN, nor Nationmedia, nor Bangkok Post states that it heard the call in, nor admits to having a transcript.

How then can they claim to know what was discussed? My understanding is that they are relyng on 2nd hand statements from people that spoke with those that had listened to the call. There were only 200 invited guests and I don't think TAN or Nationmedia had a reporter present. Please tell me what the source of the original allegation is.

Please understand one thing: I do not support "talking to judges"nor other inappropriate acts. However, some groups are making accusations and allegations without corroborating evidence. An article that appears in one media outlet that is then relied upon others with a long standing bias isn't the most reliable of sources is it?

And please don't argue around the statements above. If you disagree, with the above, please explain why. I don't need the Bucholz treatment of a tangent and his posting of obtuse photos or references to unrelated events.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Almost as funny as he paid off the IMF loan with his personal money. I have heard this countless times here in Isaan.

I have not. Are you sure this isn't Barstool talk from foreign frothers?

I'm positive. It comes from Thai villiagers.

I'm positive. It comes from Thai villiagers.

Fair enough. We both know that ignorance is everywhere.

Interestingly the comment concerning Thaksin paying the I.M.F. loan off personally is taken as gospel certainly in Isaan by a large number of the locals.

G.K. you really should try to get out more and mix with the grassroots in Thai society , you may well find it an educational experience, not all Thai people adore your hero Thaksin I assure you.

However I feel it only right to inform you there is precious little in the way of barstool talk from foreign frothers in Isaan so you may find yourself at a loose end with an extremely limited social circle..

Somewhat condescending remark concerning how you seem to feel and view the ordinary Thai people and the way they perceive things isn't it ?

Edited by siampolee

Interestingly the comment concerning Thaksin paying the I.M.F. loan off personally is taken as gospel certainly in Isaan by a large number of the locals.

G.K. you really should try to get out more and mix with the grassroots in Thai society , you may well find it an educational experience, not all Thai people adore your hero Thaksin I assure you.

However I feel it only right to inform you there is precious little in the way of barstool talk from foreign frothers in Isaan so you may find yourself at a loose end with an extremely limited social circle..

Somewhat condescending remark concerning how you seem to feel and view the ordinary Thai people and the way they perceive things isn't it ?

Think as you may but this belief is not due to ignorance in the sense you are referring to. They have been told this repeatedly by the red thug mob leaders and of course they believe anything that comes out of their mouth.

And if you ever have the pleasure to meet a believer just try to change their mind. They will quickly tell you it is true because their leaders said so.

pimay.

I spend a fair amount of time in Isaan and I hear and acknowledge what you say concerning the indoctrination from the Red Shirt political commissars.

However when one scratches the surface a little more one does see that there are more sane people who know that Thaksin is unable to walk on water than there are idiots who believe Thaksin can walk on water.

However sometimes in life it is better to say nothing so so as to ensure a peaceful existence and have no fear of that knock on the door when the police arrive to tell you that you are a drug dealer or an addict in need of treatment.

Indeed those who have accepted the pill of indoctrination cannot see the truth nor ever will even if the Buddha walked up to them and told them Thaksin is a crook..

Rather like some of the Thaksin idolaters in this collection of T.V.forums, it can't be true as Thaksin told me his version of the truth.

Edited by siampolee

pimay.

I spend a fair amount of time in Isaan and I hear and acknowledge what you say concerning the indoctrination from the Red Shirt political commissars.

However when one scratches the surface a little more one does see that there are more sane people who know that Thaksin is unable to walk on water than there are idiots who believe Thaksin can walk on water.

However sometimes in life it is better to say nothing so so as to ensure a peaceful existence and have no fear of that knock on the door when the police arrive to tell you that you are a drug dealer or an addict in need of treatment.

Indeed those who have accepted the pill of indoctrination cannot see the truth nor ever will even if the Buddha walked up to them and told them Thaksin is a crook..

Rather like some of the Thaksin idolaters in this collection of T.V.forums, it can't be true as Thaksin told me his version of the truth.

Siampolee said:

Conclusion: There are idiot / insane villagers in Issan that have been indoctrinated by red shirt "political commissars" And there are more who apparently agree with siampolees political choice.

siampolee also said:

Who's making the condescending remarks?

pimay.

Spot on. Of course here in Udon Thani it is a red shirt hot bed. Although as you say not everyone believes everything they are told by these Thaksin minions. I learned a long time ago who I can speak openly with about this and who not to speak with. Especially after the local red thugs torched the city hall.

Thaksin used the word เท่ which means chic, classy , smart, elegant, I think 'dignified' might even be a better word here, for he meant he wanted to return to Thailand in a proper way, cases cleared, plane landing at the airport, cheering supporters, not crossing a land border surrounded by farmers with a jail sentence awaiting him, ie messy.

Now lets move onto the media's claim that he stated that he has been speaking with the judges, and geriatrickid's allegation that this statement may have also been mistranslated. So what were the exact Thai words?

The translation is completely correct, he said he was in the process of talking to the judges and everything would be sorted out soon. In the event of the government not having the money to put up bail, he would use his own money.

Perhaps he meant the lunch boxes with 2 million baht inside had been dispatched again!

What a terrible example he is for those Thais who want to see a country run by honest leaders.

Isn't the appropriate translation "making representations". TAN used the words talking to judges which other media outlets have picked up.

Neither TAN, nor Nationmedia, nor Bangkok Post states that it heard the call in, nor admits to having a transcript.

How then can they claim to know what was discussed? My understanding is that they are relyng on 2nd hand statements from people that spoke with those that had listened to the call. There were only 200 invited guests and I don't think TAN or Nationmedia had a reporter present. Please tell me what the source of the original allegation is.

Please understand one thing: I do not support "talking to judges"nor other inappropriate acts. However, some groups are making accusations and allegations without corroborating evidence. An article that appears in one media outlet that is then relied upon others with a long standing bias isn't the most reliable of sources is it?

And please don't argue around the statements above. If you disagree, with the above, please explain why. I don't need the Bucholz treatment of a tangent and his posting of obtuse photos or references to unrelated events.

laugh.png

the "full of steam" continues today

Edited by Buchholz

Full of anecdotal posts yourself that you expect others to full buy into completely, your first reaction is to derogatorily disparage someone else's anecdotal post as the frothings from drunks.... even though it and similar statements, eg. "Thaksin paid for my son's operation out of his pocket" (from 30 baht health care recipient) are commonly encountered misconceptions of reality.

Edited by Buchholz

What were the exact Thai words?

Please understand one thing: I do not support "talking to judges"nor other inappropriate acts.

What if Thaksin really did say "talking to judges"? Would you then claim that he meant to say something else?
  • Like 1

There is no such thing as "real democracy" being practiced anywhere on the planet.

But some countries come much closer than others, e.g. Switzerland, northern Europe, Aus/NZ, not sure about Canada these days. If the US just made voting mandatory and effectively controlled corporate interference it would be pretty good close - not that I'm saying that would result in good government.

Perhaps a lottery system, pick average Somchai/Joe plumber off the street (weaning out felons and wackos) and make them serve for 2 or 4 years, only allowed one term, let them select manager-level civil service after consulting with predecessors.

Thaksin phoned in to a red shirts meeting in Surin, there were approximately 300 redshirts and about 4 stray dogs present.

He said he had talked to some judges and things would soon be sorted out. It was written in Thai newspapers, apart from being on nearly every TV channel.

Thaksin phoned in to a red shirts meeting in Surin, there were approximately 300 redshirts and about 4 stray dogs present.

He said he had talked to some judges and things would soon be sorted out. It was written in Thai newspapers, apart from being on nearly every TV channel.

Thank you, Siripon.

:wai:

In Thaivisa 2012, it takes 200 posts to get to this point.

:huh::blink::wacko:

The translation is completely correct, he said he was in the process of talking to the judges and everything would be sorted out soon.

Thank you, again, for clearing up the other aspect that had been obfuscated at length earlier in the thread.

wai.gif

Which brings the point - is it appropriate for judges to be having discussions on cases / any cases with a convicted absconded criminal?

And, can you imagine that the average no name suburban Bangkok person or the average no name up country person could gain access to judges and engage in such discussions? I think not.

And, surely such actions would be illegal for all parties, judges included.

Plus, the paymaster has been saying again and again ' respect for the law / equal justice for all / no double standards '.

Foot in mouth, again.

He can't resist boasting or bluffing- he's always been that way, arrogant beyond words with his money. Take that away and he';s just another loudmouth .I remember in Trang province during an election campaign when he quipped chopping pork was easy, in Thai the implication was it would be an easy victory ( in the election).

He lost heavily, southern Thais.soon saw through him.

Well, yes, I did hear it once from a pro-Red Shirt foreigner once, but as your labeling indicates, I don't think you put any value on them.

Thank you for once again proving your arrogance.

A moderator before reported that PR's was stopped at that time and it affected atleast one of them. Perhaps you should tell the moderators here what you feel about them.

I think it is despicable that this kind of posting comes from you again and again.

It is not arrogance. Those foreigners that met the criteria, made the effort and did what needed to be done, got what they wanted. I also believe that if a foreigner met many of the requirements and had exemplary attributes, with perhaps a minor weakness or two, he or she could still be accepted. For example;

- a nobel laureate in medicine,teaching at Mahidol

- Bill Gates

- Warren Buffet

- Mr. Toyota of Toyota

- Carlos Slim

The fact of the matter is that no one like the above is applying. The government wishes to reserve granting this right only to those it deems superior candidates. An applicant may be a responsible parent and own a small factory or hotel and be a good person, but that just doesn't cut it.

It's akin to the X Factor or the Idol shows where people audition on the presumption they have talent. They may entertain friends and family, but when they get to the big stage, they just can't cut it. This doesn't mean they are overtly bad people, just that they don't have the qualities to be a star.

And your point on someone that applied that was a moderator? Does being a moderator impart some sort of extra points when applying for PR? I'm sure some are very nice people, but again that doesn't mean they meet the criteria. Anyway, considering recent history, I really don't think that's a direction you want to head in.

The criteria isn't to be a nobel laureate etc ...

The fact is that hundreds of PRs have been approved by the bureaucrats since 2006, but only 9 have been signed by the relevant minister (of various governments) since then.

But more are coming ...

wai.gif

Which brings the point - is it appropriate for judges to be having discussions on cases / any cases with a convicted absconded criminal?

And, can you imagine that the average no name suburban Bangkok person or the average no name up country person could gain access to judges and engage in such discussions? I think not.

And, surely such actions would be illegal for all parties, judges included.

Plus, the paymaster has been saying again and again ' respect for the law / equal justice for all / no double standards '.

Foot in mouth, again.

Fingering the judges a top priority of the Thaksin agenda.