Lifan Cross 200

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up my Lifan cross 200 for 45,000. ...enjoying it so far! Anybody know of any good trail rides near Buriram?New-Transportation.png

Congrats on your new bike, where did you buy it?? In Buriram??

A good friend of mine who's coming to life in Buriram province by the end of the year, wants to purchase a off road bike, it will be his first bike, and after reading this thread this bike seems to be a good deal for him.

Correct me if i'm wrong but is the engine on this bike based on the old Honda XL125/XL185/XL200 ?? it looks very similair.

About trail riding around Buriram, well, just turn in at one of the many country roads and it's sometimes surprising what kind of nice roads and trials you'll discover.( don't get lost)

You know Lam Nang Rong Dam ?? ( next to the 348) about '50 km's from Nang Rong direction Cambodia ( so about 100km's from Buriram city) Around that lake you can do some nice trial riding, if you don't mind make your bike dirty.

post-143096-0-72161100-1339124452_thumb.

Mayby we can hook up one time to go riding there ( I live between Buriram and Nang Rong) i drive a KLX 250.

Have lots of LIFUN

Dutchbike

Went to the bike shop this morning 46000 Bt. I did not dicker with them becasue I was not buying today

They have 2 types in stock. One with the 21" front tire and another with a 18" front tire more of a motard (Think D Tracker) and street tires on it front and back..

I know I'd use mine 95% of the time on road and only soft of roading.

Thoughts ?

I'm also beginning to consider getting one of these, I have a few questions though:

Were both versions the same price, and was that an on the road price, including tax and insurance?

Anyone know of a dealer near Minburi?

I know knobblies are not so well suited to road use, but how much difference do they make in terms of grip (esp. in the wet), performance and ride comfort? If I got one, it would be used pretty much exclusively on the road, so the motard version would seem to me to make way more sense, thoughts?

Cheers

'LL'

Went to the bike shop this morning 46000 Bt. I did not dicker with them becasue I was not buying today

They have 2 types in stock. One with the 21" front tire and another with a 18" front tire more of a motard (Think D Tracker) and street tires on it front and back..

Thoughts ?

I'm also beginning to consider getting one of these, I have a few questions though:

Were both versions the same price, and was that an on the road price, including tax and insurance?

I know knobblies are not so well suited to road use, but how much difference do they make in terms of grip (esp. in the wet), performance and ride comfort? If I got one, it would be used pretty much exclusively on the road, so the motard version would seem to me to make way more sense, thoughts?

Cheers

'LL'

Knobbies on wet slick roads are death on a stick.....

Do these things have pillion pegs? Can't see from the pics...

I'm sold, off to singburi to buy one now.

Black I think.

What was the problem with the front brakes? Caliper alignment?

If you mean me, the problem I had with the brakes were a misaligned or squished bearing that caused the calipers to be misaligned too. New bearing and now no problem.

Thoughts ?

Cheers

'LL'

Knobbies on wet slick roads are death on a stick.....

I know they aren't good, but please excuse my ignorance on this, just how dangerous are we talking?

I mean, are we talking something akin to hitting wet leaves or ice, a total loss of grip, or just extra caution needs to be taken when cornering and breaking? How do they perform if going through standing water, like we see so often on Bangkok roads after a heavy shower?

Also, anyone know where I can find a photo of a Cross 200 in motard spec?

Cheers

'LL'

Edited by LucidLucifer

I would say it takes extra caution to maneuver corners in the wet, I simply go slower than I would in the dry. If you have a good feel for the bike, you will get a sense of where the breakaway point is. it is better than hitting leaves and nothing like hitting ice.

In standing water you likely won't be cornering at speed, so I would say the knobbies would have no disadvantage there. In fact if there is mud involved than you gain an advantage over street tires.

Thanks....thumbsup.gif

I'd be using mine for a short commute to work, and the odd weekend pleasure ride, so unless I was unlucky and got caught out in a rainstorm, there is no real reason i'd use it in the wet.

So, all in all, do you actually think paying the extra for the motard is money well spent, when considering what i'd be using it for?

How does grip compare in the dry? with less rubber touching the ground, it stands to reason it would be less.

smile.png

The motard was like and 18 or 19 fron tire. I mayh go that route and yes it was a few thousand extra. or there is some very good rubber you could swap out to for about he same price they use on the BMW and some others

As I note, My Thai friends father was showing his off he just got in Udontanni. black and paid 39,990 must be the old man Thai price for him. Maybe he should go in to buy mine for me

The motard was like and 18 or 19 fron tire. I mayh go that route and yes it was a few thousand extra. or there is some very good rubber you could swap out to for about he same price they use on the BMW and some others

As I note, My Thai friends father was showing his off he just got in Udontanni. black and paid 39,990 must be the old man Thai price for him. Maybe he should go in to buy mine for me

Interesting..... I could always send an in-law family member....and just before the papers were signed, rock up with the cash and have it put in my name. They can't really go back on the price once agreed.

I wish I had tried the motard version, I am tempted to changeover. but when I go offroad there is some real challenging stuff and I would miss the knobbies.

I know you can swap over in about 1/2 hour, but who wants to go through the hassle just to do a ride somewhere. I think I am stuck with knobbies for now

My guess is motard tires are much more grippy

• Like 1

I wish I had tried the motard version, I am tempted to changeover. but when I go offroad there is some real challenging stuff and I would miss the knobbies.

I know you can swap over in about 1/2 hour, but who wants to go through the hassle just to do a ride somewhere. I think I am stuck with knobbies for now

My guess is motard tires are much more grippy

Simple answer. If most of your riding is onroad get a set of motard wheels and keep them on the bike.

If most of your riding is offroad get a set of motard wheels and keep the knobblies on the bike. Change as required. With practise you can swap over in minutes:-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider knobbies as generally dangerous. They wouldn't be allowed on streets around the world if they were dangerous. Of course there are "real motocross tires" that are different. But such tires are usually not allowed to be used on public streets. In fact the manufacturer should be able to tell you which tire could be used on streets and which not.

I rode knobbies for years on the street and never had a problem. Its just a bit "more unstable" when cornering and at high speeds. Of course if you plan doing speeds >100kmh often or >120kmh sometimes, than you should have the proper tires for it. But as the high speed of the Cross 200 is something around 110kmh i would say the tires that are sold with it are OK. For races on tarmac you would choose a different bike anyway.

Take the bike you like more and have fun with it. Ride slower in the woods with the motard. Ride slower on the streets with the Enduro. And everything will be fine.

• Like 1

Ok, as promised here is the beastie on the way back from the shop, taking a KFC break in Tahki.

QTjQH.jpg

Sticker price was 46k and they wouldn't budge from that.

There are a few different setups floating around cause this one came with a knobbie on the rear and a 21 inch front fitted with an enduro tire. Probably best for me as I'm on dirt and concrete roads around the village and I don't plan to do any offloading.

Impressions?

Some of the cheapest plastic I've ever seen, especially the start and run buttons.

No stone guard, though there seem to be mounting brackets for one, can you fit and aftermarket one? If so where would I get it?

Starts and runs well, didnt notice any issues when I took it for a spin last night, other than running out of petrol when the thimble full of gas the dealer put in it ran out :0

Pushes well :P

Gear synch is fine, runs up and down with little or no clutch quite smoothly, though 1st to neutral it a bit a chore. Going to have to develop some extra muscles or wear shoes..

viM6q.jpg

Just picked up my Lifan cross 200 for 45,000. ...enjoying it so far! Anybody know of any good trail rides near Buriram?New-Transportation.png

Congrats on your new bike, where did you buy it?? In Buriram??

A good friend of mine who's coming to life in Buriram province by the end of the year, wants to purchase a off road bike, it will be his first bike, and after reading this thread this bike seems to be a good deal for him.

Correct me if i'm wrong but is the engine on this bike based on the old Honda XL125/XL185/XL200 ?? it looks very similair.

About trail riding around Buriram, well, just turn in at one of the many country roads and it's sometimes surprising what kind of nice roads and trials you'll discover.( don't get lost)

You know Lam Nang Rong Dam ?? ( next to the 348) about '50 km's from Nang Rong direction Cambodia ( so about 100km's from Buriram city) Around that lake you can do some nice trial riding, if you don't mind make your bike dirty.

post-143096-0-72161100-1339124452_thumb.

Mayby we can hook up one time to go riding there ( I live between Buriram and Nang Rong) i drive a KLX 250.

Have lots of LIFUN

Dutchbike

Hey Dutchbike,

I'd love to meet up and go riding some time. I just went out today and had a look around. Found some nice dirt roads, and even a few trails, outside of Buriram City. It's never as fun alone, though. Always get that nagging feeling about having some sort of failure while alone out in the middle of nowhere!

Yeah, I did buy it in Buriram. I got it from the Suzuki dealer right across from Rajabaht University. They had just gotten them in for the first time. I bought the first one. The second is now gone, and the third one is still on the lot.

I think you may be right about the engine. The Chinese are known for reverse engineering other people's products and copying them. The probably bought one of the bikes you mentioned and took it apart...then started making molds!

I work during the week, but maybe we can hook up for a Saturday/Sunday ride.

Ryan

I Like to record my rides with my Android phone and share them. I've been using my "RunKeeper" app, but I don't want to do this because it messes up my running records. Anybody use a good GPS enabled tracker on an Android phone?

Thanks,

Ryan

Also, anyone know where I can find a photo of a Cross 200 in motard spec?

http://rideasia.net/.../topic1866.html

Cheers!

This is the X-plore not the Lifan cross. I rang them about this one they bought six in themselves so they aren't

officialy from lifan. It also doesn't appear on the official Lifan Thailand site.

Here is the cross in Moto form at the same shop

In Chiang Mai.

post-157348-0-99013400-1339318005_thumb.

I went out on one today and to be honest was very impressed with it,sounded great and had some good torque for a 200cc,still don't know whether to get one as i don't want to be in the shop all the time with problems,but saying that they do give a 2 year guarantee.the shop is getting a load of accessories,

in this week so will see what they have.

Where was the shop?

Be interesting to know what accessories they are getting in for these.

I'd try pinning them down on the warranty, I was told at a dealer the 2 years cover is engine only.

Out of warranty even an engine isn't going to break the bank I've seen new boxed 200cc Lifan engines

for sale in Bangkok for 10,000 baht.

One thing I have to say I dislike, though will probably get used to is the 0-5 down gear arrangement which seems much more suited to a forward backward lever than a single up and down.

I had the same problem when I got this bike. It's like switching from the right to the left side of the road! After so many years of 1 down 4 up, I have gunned it through second and then dropped it back into first a couple of times. After just a couple of weeks, though, I have gotten used to it.

I went out on one today and to be honest was very impressed with it,sounded great and had some good torque for a 200cc,still don't know whether to get one as i don't want to be in the shop all the time with problems,but saying that they do give a 2 year guarantee.the shop is getting a load of accessories,

When I bought my Lifan I was looking at Honda Waves, Clicks, and the like. They run about 40K. This bike was 45K. I went with this because I'm 6 "1" 200 pounds, and this bike suits me much better. Since then, I've been tearing up trails and dirt roads all over the place--and riding to work on the streets every day. I'm very happy with my purchase.

That being said, I pulled up to a local bar the other day and parked next to an 8 year old Honda 250cc enduro. I had a great chat with the owner. We compared bikes, and his was superior in every way. His suspension dwarfed mine. His brakes are better. His frame is stronger. HIs engine runs much smoother and has more power. He says that he rides comfortably on the the highway at 120 kph. He's been going for 8 years with no mechanical problems, and he's ridden trails and roads all over Thailand...but he paid 140k 8 years ago.

Today, a new Honda like his is probably close to 200k. So, if I had 200k to spend on a bike, there is no question, I would go with a Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha, but that's out of my price range, so I've gone with the Lifan. To someone like you, who is unsure about whether or not to buy one of these, I would say that if you're looking at a Wave or a Click, or something else in the same price range, go with the Lifan (especially if you're a big guy). If you can afford a Japanese bike, on the other hand, definitely go for one of those.

About "being in the shop all the time with problems" I really don't think that's a problem.

Best of luck!

Ryan

• Like 2

The shop is in koh samui,ohms cycles.he has about 6 bikes in there,and said hand guards and different fenders were coming in this week,will have a look later this week,and i will put my deposit down on one and get him to change a couple of things on it for me.

When I bought my Lifan I was looking at Honda Waves, Clicks, and the like. They run about 40K. This bike was 45K. I went with this because I'm 6 "1" 200 pounds, and this bike suits me much better. Since then, I've been tearing up trails and dirt roads all over the place--and riding to work on the streets every day. I'm very happy with my purchase.

That being said, I pulled up to a local bar the other day and parked next to an 8 year old Honda 250cc enduro. I had a great chat with the owner. We compared bikes, and his was superior in every way. His suspension dwarfed mine. His brakes are better. His frame is stronger. HIs engine runs much smoother and has more power. He says that he rides comfortably on the the highway at 120 kph. He's been going for 8 years with no mechanical problems, and he's ridden trails and roads all over Thailand...but he paid 140k 8 years ago.

Today, a new Honda like his is probably close to 200k. So, if I had 200k to spend on a bike, there is no question, I would go with a Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha, but that's out of my price range, so I've gone with the Lifan. To someone like you, who is unsure about whether or not to buy one of these, I would say that if you're looking at a Wave or a Click, or something else in the same price range, go with the Lifan (especially if you're a big guy). If you can afford a Japanese bike, on the other hand, definitely go for one of those.

About "being in the shop all the time with problems" I really don't think that's a problem.

Best of luck!

Ryan

i prefer honda wave over lifan at all times.

wave is reliable like hell and lasts forever with a good resale value and just for these, it is the best selling bike at all times.

i do not buy any Chinese brand bike as i do not feel secure on them, i do not trust Chinese products especially if it is something moving!

My cousin bought a Chinese Keeway 150 cc scooter some years ago and it was horror moments when i was riding the bike. god bless! That bike after 5000 km was junk.

^

good point

Lifan seems to be coming along nicely but you have to look further down the line what sort off condition is the bike gonna be in say 1 1/2- 2 years time only time will tell

IMO these liafans seem ok for on road would I take 1 off the beaten track in the middle of nowhere I don't think so

It's interesting with more people buying them on here now we can start to get some decent reviews