Electric Isle Of Man Tt

karlos

Sorry to bring the subject of electric bikes up again (i'm sure there was something here a while back) however, while trolling through youtube i stumbled across Monster's electric Pikes Peak bike and then the Zero Emissions Class of the TT.

Admittedly the bike's range is somewhat limited but with a winning average speed of 96mph from a standing start.....WOW, less can be said for the soundtrack though biggrin.png

Electric bikes really are exciting me, there's so much happening around the world right now, maybe this could be a dedicated thread to the development and race events of such bikes smile.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6dCR5Eht5M&feature=related

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1

Electric vehicles have a very fast accelration then they tend to flat line out. I worked for a National Lab in the states and they did a lot of reserch on batteries and I got to drive a japanese van around and keep track of the usage. High torque but no top end.

The TTXGP bike was approaching 160mph around the TT course, impressive for a bike with just one gear, albeit an extremely tall gear which is required to tame the massive torque.

Imagine what these bikes could be capable of with some form of traction control and a very strong gearbox :)

Love the TT, what a mad race! I don't know why but the idea of electric bikes is far more interesting to me than electric cars.

In conjunction with the Bangkok Motor Show there are several talks, one being on Electric Vehicles in Thailand. Don't know if the talk is in Thai or English, but it is the only one of all the talks that has the itinerary and application in English.

1.pdf

Tiger were doing some electric bikes, don't know if they still make them or race them.

http://www.tigermoto...ycle&Itemid=162

Edited by taichiplanet

The TTXGP bike was approaching 160mph around the TT course, impressive for a bike with just one gear, albeit an extremely tall gear which is required to tame the massive torque.

Imagine what these bikes could be capable of with some form of traction control and a very strong gearbox smile.png

no need for a gearbox, electric motors don't have a powerband like combustion engines - an on off switch if you wanted it that way - click full power what a ride that would be lol but I'd imagine they have either a variable voltage device or some sort of torque converter or both - never really looked into it, I think the weight would be a prohibitive factor with all those batteries hard to slow down and corner

Thanks for the thread.....Very Interesting

Like taichiplanet said electric bikes seem much more interesting than their car counterpart.

Would love to see some specs on these weight/performance wise.

As for braking with the heavier weight dont electrics also impart

some motor braking? Of course not due to compression but the electro magnets

once the power is cut?

160mph was pretty dang good considering. But as I said I would like to see the specs

of weight & how long can it put out that power for...I know from the 1st video it can do 37.7 miles

Wonder what was left in the tank so to speak at the finish.

Edited by flying
  • Like 1

Imagine what these bikes could be capable of with some form of traction control and a very strong gearbox smile.png

no need for a gearbox, electric motors don't have a powerband like combustion engines - an on off switch if you wanted it that way - click full power what a ride that would be lol but I'd imagine they have either a variable voltage device or some sort of torque converter or both - never really looked into it, I think the weight would be a prohibitive factor with all those batteries hard to slow down and corner

Your are right about the bike being much heavier (200lbs more than regualr supersport bikes) but it doesn't stop him getting a 3rd place finish against traditional combustion engined bikes :)

7:41 I heard him mention KERS braking in the video posted below and i'm also sure they have incorporated some kind of magnetic motorbraking too.

an electric motor becomes a generator when you stop the power feed, very interesting stuff going on there, I'd say both have their advantages/disavantages, although many might not realise it because we're used to it but the power delivery from a combustion engine is very hard to control requiring gearboxes clutches and extreme throttle control, can you imagine just having a throttle that is linear i.e. no power surges or bands no gears or clutch -awsume

Great vid on the gas vs electric bikes, the torque is amazing on electric vehicles. I wonder if it is possible to do a hub type electric engine on the front wheel? Would it create any problems having the front wheel driving as well as the rear wheel?

Here is the build-up of the Chip Yates SWIGZ bike

Obviously plenty of vids on youtube of electric bikes but this is a nice one showing step-by-step conversion of a Ninja 750

Edited by taichiplanet

Another great video of Electric v Gas power smile.png

I'm curious as to what the two radiators were for, does the electric motor have some form of water cooling or are they heatsinks?

the batteries are better positioned on the TTXGP bike but once fully developed i'm sure the boys at SWIGZ will mount them lower smile.png

Edited by karlos

Its all great stuff and the technology is just moving ahead by leaps and bounds. One aspect of electric bikes that does concern me is that as it applies to riding in LOS I find a bike with a bit of noise actually is safer as it warns allot of the scooter maniacs ahead that something is a coming.

Seen it many times where i will come up to within 30-40 yards of a group of scooters they will hear the bike and move over.. if course with electric bike you are likely not to be heard. So is an electric bike trading off some degree of safety ???

My thoughts would be yes.

Certainly love the technology though

sorry to double post and off topic but loved the video where the rider is talking us through his race.. does anyone know of any videos where say doohan or Stoner or indeed any of the riders provide commentary as they go through a race lap.. would be fascinating to listen to I would imagine