Thailand Is The Worlds Brothel.. Too Funny.

LivinLOS

Bendix, your claim not to understand the connection or indeed the irony in the OP lacks credibility.

Not because you are a liar, I don't call you that, but because you live here and your wife is Thai.

And please I make no comment on her or her background - though you might have taken heed of my repeated advice never ever introduce your wife, girlfriend, family or anyone else you care about into this bed of vipers we know as Thaivisa - alas too late on that one.

Let's add some verscity.

You, your wife, I or anyone else, Thai or foreign might wish it not to be so but there is an indisputable immage, an asociation, a connection between Thailand, sex tourism and prostitution.

Furthermore and importantly a significant number of the relationships between foreigners and Thai women start in the sex industry, many never leave it.

I guarantee that in every genuine (non sex industry related) relationship between a foreign man and a Thai woman there is at some level a concern that the woman is not perceived as a prostitute - a concern to project a seperation between this genuine relationship and that other business.

This concern exists because the reality of the sex industry is all around us.

If you, i or anyone else says they do not like the inference, connection or even the irony in the OP, that is perfectly understandable.

But to deny being able to even see the connection is utter hogwash exposed as such by non other than your clear sensitivity to the topic.

Guesthouse nails it again.

The evidence of this is everywhere on this site.

People usually just say wife / girlfriend, but, here on Thaivisa, there always seems to be a qualifier stating that the said wife is not from a certain industry.

Sadly, I think Guesthouse is spot on. Thailand suffers from this racist stereotyping. I have found myself doing exactly this - over introducing my wife by qualification to ensure there was no incorrect connection. The assumptions people in the West make about Thai ladies is narrow minded to say the least. At one senior meeting in London, during lunch, I mentioned my wife was Thai. This drew a snigger and funny look from an Indian colleague. Another very senior colleague openly "roasted" him as both his sons have Thai wives whom they met at University. I had a chat later and he said much the same as me. He always mentioned they met at Uni when he introduced them.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree (unsurprisingly). To me, there is absolutely no difference between a streetwalker and a uni student having sex with her "sponsor". They are both whores, plain and simple. This opinion is shared by at least one Thai woman I know and probably most of the girls I knew back home. I could pretend to know dozens of Thai girls who think the same but it's not a subject I bring up in casual conversation so I just don't know. However, the one Thai girl of whose opinion I am sure does not seem particularly un-Thai as far as the rest of her opinions are concerned so I personally doubt that sex for financial gain is quite as acceptable as you seem to think it is (not in polite circles anyway)

What, including girls who would never consider marrying a man who wasn't rich? I don't think she's be able to hold her head up in so-called "polite circles".

And all the rich mia noi's I've come across (hundreds) hold their head up high despite never having held a real job in their life. And many of them are on very civil terms with their husbands other partners - at least on the surface.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that society is very hypocritical about what it judges (usually very negatively) to be prostitution and what it doesn't.

Thailand is much more traditional than the west, and therefore much more accepting of those arrangements.

Those with enough of an education to know how most westerners feel about such matters are likely to tailor their responses to be acceptable - ask educated Thais if they believe in the supernatural (ghosts, spirits, possession, fortune-telling etc) and they lie through their teeth because they know most educationed westerners think such beliefs are a sign of idiocy.

My experience differs from yours and I don't believe this is because the people I talk to tailor their responses to be acceptable to me. Marrying somebody who is not wealthy - sure, it happens and I have not seen any sign of embarrassment on the part of those women in "polite circles" who have done so.

You might not think there is anything wrong with mai nois, but I do. Not every wealthy Thai man has one and not all of them think that it is appropriate in this day and age.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree though, because my opinions are based on the people I have met personally and I'm assuming yours are too. There's no guarantee that the people you know or the people I know are truly representative of Thai society or, as you said, that they always tell the truth.

I disagree (unsurprisingly). To me, there is absolutely no difference between a streetwalker and a uni student having sex with her "sponsor". They are both whores, plain and simple. This opinion is shared by at least one Thai woman I know and probably most of the girls I knew back home. I could pretend to know dozens of Thai girls who think the same but it's not a subject I bring up in casual conversation so I just don't know. However, the one Thai girl of whose opinion I am sure does not seem particularly un-Thai as far as the rest of her opinions are concerned so I personally doubt that sex for financial gain is quite as acceptable as you seem to think it is (not in polite circles anyway)

What, including girls who would never consider marrying a man who wasn't rich? I don't think she's be able to hold her head up in so-called "polite circles".

And all the rich mia noi's I've come across (hundreds) hold their head up high despite never having held a real job in their life. And many of them are on very civil terms with their husbands other partners - at least on the surface.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that society is very hypocritical about what it judges (usually very negatively) to be prostitution and what it doesn't.

Thailand is much more traditional than the west, and therefore much more accepting of those arrangements.

Those with enough of an education to know how most westerners feel about such matters are likely to tailor their responses to be acceptable - ask educated Thais if they believe in the supernatural (ghosts, spirits, possession, fortune-telling etc) and they lie through their teeth because they know most educationed westerners think such beliefs are a sign of idiocy.

Good post, BigJohnnyBKK. I agree entirely. I happen to hate hypocrisy in all its various forms.

Your own portrayal of the lifestyle you lead makes me doubt that you could view this subject with any objectivity.

Is Hi-So now, by default, any girl that a TV member partners with that they met outside of a bar?

Seems to me the original meaning is an individual with a an upper crust name, background , a ton of cash and mixing in the same circles...nothing to do with tertiary education...bit like what would be called "old money" in the UK maybe?

We could have suggestions for a new word to describe those fine ladies met outside of the bar environment since Hi-So is,in many cases, not the ideal adjective....

maybe a newspeak word like unslut or double unbar, unbike...hit-the-fan.gif

When I refer to hi-so girls (or males), I use the term basically as you explained it, to talk about those from high society, not as a term that includes anybody who shops in Paragon, eats in Thong Lor or has their own car (as I already stated in an earlier post). If others are discussing the behaviour of middle class Thais then we are comparing apples to papaya. Edited by inthepink

When I was a young buck looking for an energetic evening, I would take a female out several times, feeding and watering them in the hope of getting a leg over ( I am paying with no guarantees). Here it sure thing and at an agreed price, if thats your desire. One way or another you pay for a leg over, here its frowned by some, in the west its normal life and thats ok. Even when you are married you continue to pay for your leg overs, wherever you are. so one way or another the man has to pay for the privelige of a jump. What one persons money is legitimate and part of their life in their part of the world. in another land with a different culture and way that is percieved to be not really the same ticket a very different result is seen.

No matter what anybody says, THailand will be seen as a very adult destination, you dont have to go to those particular destinations but you will seen as " what possible other reason for visiting?"

Its a bit like saying dont go to London because of King Cross and Soho. It will take some time before things change, we will have to live with it and back in our home lands, the ladies in particular will look down their noses and suggest your new companion must be a lady of the night in an attempt to destroy her character, its their only way to get even ( their time and their youth as gone). No matter how many times you shout it out Thai ladies start with a disadvantage, that at some time in her life she must have worked in the adult scene, whether she has or not.

Edited by exeter

Bendix, your claim not to understand the connection or indeed the irony in the OP lacks credibility.

Not because you are a liar, I don't call you that, but because you live here and your wife is Thai.

And please I make no comment on her or her background - though you might have taken heed of my repeated advice never ever introduce your wife, girlfriend, family or anyone else you care about into this bed of vipers we know as Thaivisa - alas too late on that one.

Let's add some verscity.

You, your wife, I or anyone else, Thai or foreign might wish it not to be so but there is an indisputable immage, an asociation, a connection between Thailand, sex tourism and prostitution.

Furthermore and importantly a significant number of the relationships between foreigners and Thai women start in the sex industry, many never leave it.

I guarantee that in every genuine (non sex industry related) relationship between a foreign man and a Thai woman there is at some level a concern that the woman is not perceived as a prostitute - a concern to project a seperation between this genuine relationship and that other business.

This concern exists because the reality of the sex industry is all around us.

If you, i or anyone else says they do not like the inference, connection or even the irony in the OP, that is perfectly understandable.

But to deny being able to even see the connection is utter hogwash exposed as such by non other than your clear sensitivity to the topic.

Guesthouse nails it again.

The evidence of this is everywhere on this site.

People usually just say wife / girlfriend, but, here on Thaivisa, there always seems to be a qualifier stating that the said wife is not from a certain industry.

Sadly, I think Guesthouse is spot on. Thailand suffers from this racist stereotyping. I have found myself doing exactly this - over introducing my wife by qualification to ensure there was no incorrect connection. The assumptions people in the West make about Thai ladies is narrow minded to say the least. At one senior meeting in London, during lunch, I mentioned my wife was Thai. This drew a snigger and funny look from an Indian colleague. Another very senior colleague openly "roasted" him as both his sons have Thai wives whom they met at University. I had a chat later and he said much the same as me. He always mentioned they met at Uni when he introduced them.

Good post and that someone from India thinks like that sums it up. Does India have the most prostitues with sadly more child prostitutes alone than Thailand has adult prostitutes ? Why many people on Thai visa still want to carry on the racism is beyond me.

When I was a young buck looking for an energetic evening, I would take a female out several times, feeding and watering them in the hope of getting a leg over ( I am paying with no guarantees). Here it sure thing and at an agreed price, if thats your desire. One way or another you pay for a leg over, here its frowned by some, in the west its normal life and thats ok. Even when you are married you continue to pay for your leg overs, wherever you are. so one way or another the man has to pay for the privelige of a jump. What one persons money is legitimate and part of their life in their part of the world. in another land with a different culture and way that is percieved to be not really the same ticket a very different result is seen.

No matter what anybody says, THailand will be seen as a very adult destination, you dont have to go to those particular destinations but you will seen as " what possible other reason for visiting?"

Its a bit like saying dont go to London because of King Cross and Soho. It will take some time before things change, we will have to live with it and back in our home lands, the ladies in particular will look down their noses and suggest your new companion must be a lady of the night in an attempt to destroy her character, its their only way to get even ( their time and their youth as gone). No matter how many times you shout it out Thai ladies start with a disadvantage, that at some time in her life she must have worked in the adult scene, whether she has or not.

A good post but I think there's a world of difference between treating your date to a meal and asking her if she will sleep with you for money. Of course, if your only aim is to get your leg over, the end result is similar and if the girl in question believes you are interested in a long-term relationship then it might be kinder to seek the services of a professional.

Not all prostitutes are awful girls, not all poor girls are prostitutes and not all wealthy people are evil, money grabbing elitists. Stating otherwise in an attempt to promote our own beliefs is simply wrong (not that you did).

Your own portrayal of the lifestyle you lead makes me doubt that you could view this subject with any objectivity.

That just shows how little you know about me, and you are acting on your assumptions.

I am a very observant person. I have to be as a writer. I am actually a very old fashioned kind of man, but I DO know what goes on in Thailand. Some I agree with and much I don't. The parts that bother me the most is the lack of a worldly education in Thailand. Thais are taught from an early age to be robots. It starts right at the family values issue and extends upwards to the highest levels of Thai society. I also understand humanity. Humans are sexual animals. Deny a person of a sexual outlet and you will have problems... That has been proven in the Catholic church where priests were supposed to refrain from having sex. The most obvious result was they preyed on little boys and girls. Religion in all its many forms have high ideals, but they just don't work because humans are not perfect. Humans will always try to rationalize their own actions. Religions try to turn people into robots and it only works partially... and therein lies the problem.

Many of the so called high moral values I had in my thirties where what I've come to later realize were false and hypocritical. As I said, humans are sexual animals, but ones with a brain and a somewhat sense of the future. Most animals cannot conceive of the future, but humans can. It's how they act after they've learned how to adjust to nature that makes a difference. We have some very basic laws/rules that apply to just about every religion. Thou shall not steal or harm thy neighbour. What goes on between two consenting adults should be of no concern to anyone else but themselves. However, if what they do harms someone else then there needs to be an adjustment. Such a thing would be two people committed together in marriage and one of the partners strays to someone else. And, in so doing emotionally harms the partner. Humans are naturally polygamous and staying true to one's partner can be almost impossible for some people. That is especially true if one of the partners has a much higher sex drive than the other, That is one major reason why I would never get married again. I don't want to be tempted to break my vows to a woman. And I wouldn't want to live in a sexless marriage.

A good post but I think there's a world of difference between treating your date to a meal and asking her if she will sleep with you for money. Of course, if your only aim is to get your leg over, the end result is similar and if the girl in question believes you are interested in a long-term relationship then it might be kinder to seek the services of a professional.

Not all prostitutes are awful girls, not all poor girls are prostitutes and not all wealthy people are evil, money grabbing elitists. Stating otherwise in an attempt to promote our own beliefs is simply wrong (not that you did).

No I was just pointing out that sex is not free, you pay for it one way or another. Also that Thailands reputation is a sterotype, not all, in fact the vast majority of Thailand's females are not in the adult entertainment industry but the world believes otherwise. Edited by exeter

My experience differs from yours and I don't believe this is because the people I talk to tailor their responses to be acceptable to me. Marrying somebody who is not wealthy - sure, it happens and I have not seen any sign of embarrassment on the part of those women in "polite circles" who have done so.

You might not think there is anything wrong with mai nois, but I do. Not every wealthy Thai man has one and not all of them think that it is appropriate in this day and age.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree though, because my opinions are based on the people I have met personally and I'm assuming yours are too. There's no guarantee that the people you know or the people I know are truly representative of Thai society or, as you said, that they always tell the truth.

Sure not every wealthy Thai has mia noi's, but the vast majority of Thais are unfaithful, and I am very confident that percentage increases as you go up the socio-economic curve.

And "this day and age" - <deleted>? You think open and honest polyamory is going to become less acceptable over time? Not me, I think it's the only logical arrangement for long-term strong relationships and will continue to grow in the west. It's the hypocritical pretence of monogamy that IMO will continue to fall by the wayside, except maybe in the US bible belt upcountry.

Those of us lucky enough to live in a culture less corrupted by Victorian/Christian repressive beliefs have a head start on that enlightened future.

Such a thing would be two people committed together in marriage and one of the partners strays to someone else. And, in so doing emotionally harms the partner. Humans are naturally polygamous and staying true to one's partner can be almost impossible for some people. That is especially true if one of the partners has a much higher sex drive than the other, That is one major reason why I would never get married again. I don't want to be tempted to break my vows to a woman. And I wouldn't want to live in a sexless marriage.

These are not the only options. Especially here, it's entirely possible to find a wonderful partner who is willing to accept reality and put up with outside dalliances as long as she can remain confident in the relationship's security. You just need to be upfront about what you want from the beginning, and of course be willing to accept the possibility that she may want to do the same as well.

Lets play the word association game ,im going to name a country ,and youre going to say the first thing that pops into your head bout the place or its residents

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO POLICITICALY CORRECT TO PAY THIS GAME !

THAILAND -WHORES

NIGERIANS - SCAMMERS

AMERICANS-ARROGANT

ENGLISH- FOOTBALL HOOLIGAN

IRISH - LEPRACHAUNS

PAKISTANI -CONVENIENCE STORE

INDIAN- CURRYHEAD

SCOTTISH -ALCOHOLIC

FRENCH -POMPOUS

JAMAICA - MARIJUANA

ROMANIAN -THIEVING GYPSYS

MOROCCAN - SLEAZY

TURKISH - SNEAKY

SPANISH -LAZY

thailand has the reputation as a brothel :D

people assume youre here for the sex and the alcohol until they know otherwise

i would hate to be attractive young thai woman trying to get a visa to go out and work because most countries will see her as an aspiring young hooker

sad truth but very real that people ARE this racist in 2012

Lets play the word association game ,im going to name a country ,and youre going to say the first thing that pops into your head bout the place or its residents

Oh goody gum shoes, just what we want, racist party games.

Have we now moved from the denisl of stereotypes to their active protion.

Or are we going to sit around and wait to see if the fisrt thought that enters your head is ever replaced by a second?

Edited by GuestHouse

And there you go makng a false assumption about someone you do not know.

When you are single, and look around at all the married couples that you were once a part of, it is easy to see the hypocrisy, and the rights and the wrongs of society. Prostitution has been around since the dawn of time. It's been called the oldest profession. It is the so called leaders of society who have determined that it is somehow wrong. And, even that is for their own devious reasons.

It is the religious, bigoted hypocrites that that have used their own doctrines to bend people's minds to become subservient. If you actually believe in God, or some form of god that created Humans, then that god SHOULD have created the perfect person. However, humans are not perfect, and given a chance to be in power they use that power to gain privilege over others. There is a very true saying that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Religion (pick one) have been screwing up the world since humans were on the earth. They start with what appears to be good doctrines, but wind up making them fit their own personal goals of gaining power. There are thousands of examples, so there is no sense in naming them all. There should only be a few basic rules in life... Thou shall not steal, thou shall not kill and thou shall not harm other people. after that it is all a load of BS. What goes on between consenting adults should be entirely up to them. Marriage is just a load of BS. Two people can have a perfectly good relationship and live a happy life together without harming anyone. A piece of paper is not necessary and not going to change things. It's only there to make lawyers rich. Children needed to be protected until they are old enough to fend for themselves. Proper, caring parents would make sure that happens. Those that don't are basically evil and no better than the worst criminals.

THAILAND -WHORES

NIGERIANS - SCAMMERS

AMERICANS-ARROGANT

IRISH - LEPRACHAUNS

INDIAN- CURRYHEAD

SCOTTISH -ALCOHOLIC

FRENCH -POMPOUS

JAMAICA - MARIJUANA

MOROCCAN - SLEAZY

TURKISH - SNEAKY

SPANISH -LAZY

thailand has the reputation as a brothel biggrin.png

i would hate to be attractive young thai woman trying to get a visa to go out and work because most countries will see her as an aspiring young hooker

Sad but true...but with one caveat. It's a Thai woman with a farang that draws the red flags. Recognize it, accept it, and deal with it. That's just the way it is...even in 2012.

THAILAND -WHORES

NIGERIANS - SCAMMERS

AMERICANS-ARROGANT

IRISH - LEPRACHAUNS

INDIAN- CURRYHEAD

SCOTTISH -ALCOHOLIC

FRENCH -POMPOUS

JAMAICA - MARIJUANA

MOROCCAN - SLEAZY

TURKISH - SNEAKY

SPANISH -LAZY

thailand has the reputation as a brothel biggrin.png

Sad but true...but with one caveat. It's a Thai woman with a farang that draws the red flags. Recognize it, accept it, and deal with it. That's just the way it is...even in 2012.

Oh goody goody gumshoes almost a foursome.

I know lots of young attractive Thai women that have had no problems obtaining visas to work overseas - I've worked in the same offices as them in the UK, Italy, the US, Singapore, Japan.

But - take Singapore, I suspect there are far more Thai women working as prostitutes in Singapore than there are Thai women working in the professions. Japan and the UK for sure have significant numbers of Thai women working in the sex industry.

Thai women have been marketed as a very distinct brand in the world's sex industry - It is not racism to see this or point it out.

If anyone says all Thai women seeking visas to move overseas are prostitutes then or course that would be a racist statement - to say that significant numbers of Thai women travel overseas to work in the sex industry is a demonstrable fact.

I know lots of young attractive Thai women that have had no problems obtaining visas to work overseas - I've worked in the same offices as them in the UK, Italy, the US, Singapore, Japan.

But - take Singapore, I suspect there are far more Thai women working as prostitutes in Singapore than there are Thai women working in the professions. Japan and the UK for sure have significant numbers of Thai women working in the sex industry.

Thai women have been marketed as a very distinct brand in the world's sex industry - It is not racism to see this or point it out.

If anyone says all Thai women seeking visas to move overseas are prostitutes then or course that would be a racist statement - to say that significant numbers of Thai women travel overseas to work in the sex industry is a demonstrable fact.

As I've said before, if Canada replaced all its politicians and fat cat lazy senators for Thai hookers the country would be a better place.

As I've said before, if Canada replaced all its politicians and fat cat lazy senators for Thai hookers the country would be a better place.

I'm not entirely sure that would improve the image of Thai women in the eyes of the world's immigration officers.