A Good Curry In Central/North Pty?

JSixpack

My dinning experience at Baadshaw was disappointing. I'm guessing the quality was okay ( I have not eaten much Indian food outside of India, so I don't know what expectations are in play here), but the small serving were a bit on the high side, IMHO.

So you're saying small servings, prices too high, right? That's almost a standard complaint at Pattaya Indian places. I guess the flavor would have to be great to compensate. BTW, the Indian on the other side of 3rd road going north had some surprisingly large portions (similar prices). I also liked that the chicken was served on the bone in the curry I ordered, but I guess that would depend on the curry, and not everyone would prefer that. No, it wasn't gourmet level food ... but maybe satisfying enough for many of us.

BTW, isn't Baadshaw usually kind of EMPTY? This is one thing I don't get. Why isn't there a higher quality Indian restaurant in town doing a nightly Indian food BUFFET, at something like a 350 baht price point? Including freshly cooked tandoori chicken, fresh nan, etc.? Now we have the cheap Indian tour places at 200 baht and they fill a need but those are basically peasant level food and never include tandoori meat. Am I crazy to think a nice space like Baadshaw could fill their tables by doing an excellent more gourmet buffet, promote it like mad, and change the curries a lot so it isn't the same food every time you go? In the U.S. more gourmet DAILY Indian buffets are a huge part of the Indian food business, so I come from that bias of how great those can be. Yes I have had great Sunday brunch buffets in Bangkok, but Pattaya is a big city now, why not a good daily dinner buffet?

Edited by Jingthing

Tropical Berts does a cracking UK style curry. Pilau rice, Nan bread the works. I think Tuesdays is special day for the curry. I was very impressed. Location - 2nd Road top of Soi 6/1 opposite BKK Bank.

Nan bread? So do they have a tandoori oven? coffee1.gif

So they only have curry on one day, or is that just a promotion price type of thingie?

They have curry on the regular menu but on Tuesdays it is done as a special. I think there were 3 choices of curry last time - Rogan Josh, Tandoori Massala & Madras. Plain rice, Pilau rice & keema, garlic & plain Nan. I think it is B190 for a choice of curry & rice and then B50 for Nan and also 2x Poppadom were B25. Not sure about the oven but I haven't had a bad meal in there.

Tropical Berts does a cracking UK style curry. Pilau rice, Nan bread the works. I think Tuesdays is special day for the curry. I was very impressed. Location - 2nd Road top of Soi 6/1 opposite BKK Bank.

Nan bread? So do they have a tandoori oven? coffee1.gif

So they only have curry on one day, or is that just a promotion price type of thingie?

They have curry on the regular menu but on Tuesdays it is done as a special. I think there were 3 choices of curry last time - Rogan Josh, Tandoori Massala & Madras. Plain rice, Pilau rice & keema, garlic & plain Nan. I think it is B190 for a choice of curry & rice and then B50 for Nan and also 2x Poppadom were B25. Not sure about the oven but I haven't had a bad meal in there.

Thanks, worth a try anyway for that price.

If the reference to "the one near cherries" is across the road just up from soi exite going north is correct then I have to strongly disagree, I tried it a few weeks back and found it to be no different/better to Neeroys (and neeroys was better value) in fact I think I preferred the latter, though I must admit I have not ried too many curries around Pattaya so I can only pass opinion on those I've tried and I'm no curry expert lol

There are two near Cherries that we have been discussing. One on the same side of the street as Cherries and very close, on opposite corners of the same soi, and the other is across the street a bit north. You tried the across the street one. The one with the good press review (Baadshaw) which I linked to is the real close one, same side of the street.

Edited by Jingthing

ah right thanks for that, will give it a go

Up to you.

Personally I haven't eaten at Baadshaw as yet.

I can understand your negative reaction to the other place which I have eaten at. I found it serviceable and was pleased with their large portions but wouldn't suggest people make a special trip to eat there.