Land Embargo

oldsailor35

^^

Have you ever considered a Thai shophouse? It's what I live in in BKK and I prefer it to a stand alone house with land (at least for BKK). I mean it's difficult to find a house with land and everything in BKK as it is. What part of the country are you looking at?

I think most people here are talking about a rai of land to live on. Not buying up all the land around here. To be fair i think its mostly about building a house somewhere.

But it's a good point he rises. If there was universal right to buy Thai land, it would be seized by foreigners and the price would soar excluding the locals and - frankly - the ne'erdowell farangs who complain so bitterly they can't own land.

The Thai government has it perfectly balanced. We can own condos. We can enjoy land for the rest of our lives without owning it directly - usufruct - and if we are deadly serious about owning Thai land we can become citizens or prove our commitment by owning a land on the 40m investment rule.

I can't see that we have anything to complain about.

Curious to know what your plan is?

Do you plan to eventually buy a property in Thailand?

What is the plan to do so?

I already own a condo in Bangkok. Mrs B and I have recently bought a plot in Hua Hin (in her name, with a usufruct in my favour) and are building a house there for retirement. And she seperately owns 10 rai up north which may be used for another place sometime in the future. It's her land from before I met her, though.

• Like 1

I think most people here are talking about a rai of land to live on. Not buying up all the land around here. To be fair i think its mostly about building a house somewhere.

But it's a good point he rises. If there was universal right to buy Thai land, it would be seized by foreigners and the price would soar excluding the locals and - frankly - the ne'erdowell farangs who complain so bitterly they can't own land.

The Thai government has it perfectly balanced. We can own condos. We can enjoy land for the rest of our lives without owning it directly - usufruct - and if we are deadly serious about owning Thai land we can become citizens or prove our commitment by owning a land on the 40m investment rule.

I can't see that we have anything to complain about.

Bendix lets agree to disagree. I do agree however that opening the land restrictions 100% would not be a good idea. However a rai of land for a house would not impact the whole thing that much.

A condo isnt for everyone you know, i have been born and raised in a village and perfer a house over a condo. The usurfrruct sounds like a good idea that i will look into a bit more. Though i did hear its impossible to do between husband and wife.

Always happy to agree to disagree with a poster who obviously thinks about the issues carefully, rob, as you obviously do.

Your last point is wrong - it's perfectly possible and very common between husband and wife.

Bendix, thanks for the information. When the time comes i will look into a usufruct. Its kinda like a pre nup you hope you never have to use it but it gives a piece of mind when its in place.

Yea, its always good to disagree about stuff, else in the end it gets boring the same arguments all over again.I wish i always reacted this rational.

^^

Have you ever considered a Thai shophouse? It's what I live in in BKK and I prefer it to a stand alone house with land (at least for BKK). I mean it's difficult to find a house with land and everything in BKK as it is. What part of the country are you looking at?

We are just a bit outside of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. Not sure we will buy land because of the flooding last year. But my parents have been pushing me to buy a better house for when they visit. So me and my wife have refused but i like the idea of having a little bit of land just to sit outside a bit at times. I am not talking much land a rai would be the max i wanted.

Biggest drawback at the moment for me is that im not a technical guy, im an accountant. I worry that if I let them construct a home i can't check if im getting value for money and quality. I heard many horror stories already.

^^

We are just a bit outside of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. Not sure we will buy land because of the flooding last year. But my parents have been pushing me to buy a better house for when they visit. So me and my wife have refused but i like the idea of having a little bit of land just to sit outside a bit at times. I am not talking much land a rai would be the max i wanted.

Biggest drawback at the moment for me is that im not a technical guy, im an accountant. I worry that if I let them construct a home i can't check if im getting value for money and quality. I heard many horror stories already.

yes be super carefully on the construction....minor things like badly mixed concrete will cause you headache the next 20 years.

^^

Yeah housebuilding can be hell...it definitely would be better to allow the Thais to interact with the builders/laborers to avoid being ripped off.

I just still don't understand this great desire for land...I mean I'm based out of BKK when I go there...and I condo is not a bad option. I don't see how owning a house with land is such a superior thing over a condo...especially in BKK. I mean in BKK (within the city at least) it's hard to find land since it's already crowded. It's hard to find a house with land...and if you do it's going to be pricey. And it's BKK so it's not like you really want to hang outside anyways because of the heat and the pollution.

Nonthaburi is a little bit different than inside of greater Bangkok...but I still don't think it is a horrible lifestyle to have a condo.

Sub,

I might want kids in the future (dont tell the wife or else ill be in trouble because so far i dont want them). Also i use one of the rooms for a gym and an other is filled with fishing gear. So i just need a bit more room then the average guy.

I think a condo is great if your alone or maybe 2 and you don't collect a lot of stuff like i do. I also got 2 dogs.. so a condo is a no go.

• Like 1

I already own a condo in Bangkok. Mrs B and I have recently bought a plot in Hua Hin (in her name, with a usufruct in my favour) and are building a house there for retirement. And she seperately owns 10 rai up north which may be used for another place sometime in the future. It's her land from before I met her, though.

Thanks for sharing ...

I knew you would have a plan.

Edited by David48

My condo (rented) is OK for holidays by the sea, but I love the house as it is a wide open space, nice gardens and my outside gym/workshop etc keeps me occupied, since having the house i felt like a prisoner in the condo in BKK so moved to a bigger one near the beach and it is great. The house is on the wife's inherited land so I don't bother with all the legal stuff, after all if we ever had a major problem that was worthy of seperation I would just leave, I wouldn't leave her without a house and I can start again, after all the beauty of living here is it is cheap enough to have a nice house but not sink all your lifes savings into it.

^^

Yeah housebuilding can be hell...it definitely would be better to allow the Thais to interact with the builders/laborers to avoid being ripped off.

I just still don't understand this great desire for land...I mean I'm based out of BKK when I go there...and I condo is not a bad option. I don't see how owning a house with land is such a superior thing over a condo...especially in BKK. I mean in BKK (within the city at least) it's hard to find land since it's already crowded. It's hard to find a house with land...and if you do it's going to be pricey. And it's BKK so it's not like you really want to hang outside anyways because of the heat and the pollution.

Nonthaburi is a little bit different than inside of greater Bangkok...but I still don't think it is a horrible lifestyle to have a condo.

Well they also ripp off Thais.....

^^

You are right there :P They rip of people who they think they can rip off. Has nothing to do with nationality. Of course a foreigner is more likely to be ripped off unless he has a lot of building knowledge.

^^

Condos are like clothes that claim one size fits all. Fine for some, not so for others who have family, goats pigs, chickens, dogs,etc. Like Robblok says if you want a small woodshop or garage and a normal life, a rai of land can make a big difference for some.

Thanks for sharing ...

Hahaha . . smartass.

^^

You are right there tongue.png They rip of people who they think they can rip off. Has nothing to do with nationality. Of course a foreigner is more likely to be ripped off unless he has a lot of building knowledge.

Is there any builder anywhere in the world that doesn't have the potential to rip their customers off?

Thanks for sharing ...

Hahaha . . smartass.

Actually no ... not a smartass.

I asked you a straight question.

You replied in kind.

I admired your foward planning ... played it with a straight bat.

Now I'm going to get me coat and buy you a pint at the Pub.

"... The usurfrruct sounds like a good idea that i will look into a bit more. Though i did hear its impossible to do between husband and wife."

Always happy to agree to disagree with a poster who obviously thinks about the issues carefully, rob, as you obviously do.

Your last point is wrong - it's perfectly possible and very common between husband and wife.

Actually a contract between a husband and wife made after they are married is basically unenforceable. A usufruct only protects you from the spouse’s relatives in case they die first. The spouse can kick you out anytime.

TH

CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL CODE: TITLE I - MARRIAGE

Section 1469. Any agreement concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby.

You need to be careful with this Tit for Tat thing, before you know it Thailand will be insisting that Farangland relax their visa laws and allow Thailand to export their misfits and malcontents to your own country to live there on extended vacation and/or education visas.

Thailand is under obligation to accept these people. If there wasn't some benefit for thailand, the rules would be tougher and enforced, right?