Buy Kindle In Uk To Use In Thailand

sidjameson

No problem just so long as you realise you can't download any books whilst you are in Thailand

That is not correct. I have a Kindle Touch and download books in Thailand with no problem. Mine is Wi-Fi only but I can download books either from the Amazon store or other sources anytime I have a connection. 3G models also will work in Thailand without having to pay for 3G service however it can only be used for downloading books and not for surfing the net.

I should add that I'm referring to the e-readers, not the Kindle Fire Tablet which can be used to surf the net but in that case, you would need a 3G account with a local provider.

Edited by dddave

I 2nd the CALIBRE recommendation. It will convert almost any file type to MOBI. There are several tutorials on YOUTUBE that make learning to use it easy.

There are many ways to download free books online but it is considered inappropriate to discuss them on this forum.

I don't know about the UK, but I just checked with my local library in the USA where I still have a card and I can download best sellers from their website. Interestingly, they have only so many "copies" of each book at any one time so if it is a popular book, one must wait in line, so to speak and then when you do get the book, one only has access to it for three weeks; just like a hard copy.

I have the Fire (bought in the USA) and love it. As stated, there are many ways to download books. It also reads pdf files for magazines etc.

You cannot order apps from Amazon but you can get them from Getjar.com As long as you have wifi available you are good to go!

I do emailing, some web surfing, watch movies, and listen to worldwide radio stations (get Tunein app) etc.

Did I mention that I love my Kindle Fire!!!

Edited by dthomasss

Doesn't the Kindle Fire have a "normal" color LCD screen? On of the main reasons I bought the Kindle (3) was that it has E-paper screen. I don't mean to knock the color LCD screen but once you've seen the difference you will understand, it really is like looking at paper vs. looking at a computer screen.

Doesn't the Kindle Fire have a "normal" color LCD screen? On of the main reasons I bought the Kindle (3) was that it has E-paper screen. I don't mean to knock the color LCD screen but once you've seen the difference you will understand, it really is like looking at paper vs. looking at a computer screen.

If you want an e-reader only, the Kindle Fire is not your best choice, but if you want all the things I listed and wanted, it is the one to get!

Thanks so much. My mnd is made up. smile.png

Also, while in thailand how difficult is it to downlaod books for free?

Download anything you like for Kindle books on torrent. For legit free stuff Google Best Sellers in Kindle Store and the Amazon free stuff is there. Kindle was free on my Samsung Android, no need to buy a separate Ereader, and all the books are free too.

No problem just so long as you realise you can't download any books whilst you are in Thailand

That is not correct. I have a Kindle Touch and download books in Thailand with no problem. Mine is Wi-Fi only but I can download books either from the Amazon store or other sources anytime I have a connection. 3G models also will work in Thailand without having to pay for 3G service however it can only be used for downloading books and not for surfing the net.

I should add that I'm referring to the e-readers, not the Kindle Fire Tablet which can be used to surf the net but in that case, you would need a 3G account with a local provider.

I have Kindle with 3G - it is great convenience over wi-fi only,works like breeze everywhere even in the middle of rice field.wi-fi - is capricious - often can not connect.

and you can surf on 3G,at least - I can.it is tedious but you can do it;I did it often,i even posted on Thaivisa!free

when 3G is not available - it connects on Edge.

I have Kindle with 3G - it is great convenience over wi-fi only,works like breeze everywhere even in the middle of rice field.wi-fi - is capricious - often can not connect.

and you can surf on 3G,at least - I can.it is tedious but you can do it;I did it often,i even posted on Thaivisa!free

when 3G is not available - it connects on Edge.

I'm curious; do you have the older Kindle with the keyboard? It has been written that the older 3G models could be used to browse the 'net on the Kindle 3G network but that in the newer "Touch", that ability has been disabled.