Non Immigrant -O- (Married To Thai).

Hi,

I am recently married (to a Thai) and am hoping to apply for a Non Immigrant 'O' visa (1 year, multiple entry) without the costly trip back to the UK (I am a UK passport holder).

I'm based in Chiang Mai, what are the quickest and easiest embassies that issue this type of visa? Pengang, KL?

Also, what is the latest on what information I need to provide. I know at the consulate in Birmingham (England) they issue in 30 minutes and require passport photos of both husband & wife, Thai ID card copies, Thai passport copies and my Passport. Is it different over here?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes it is very different as most will not provide multi entry without financial requirements (from 100k to 400k in bank account). KL will provide with the 100k amount but currently Savannakhet has been providing without financials so likely your best option if account balance is low. You will need marriage certificate/copy and signed copies of her ID card and home register and should have a letter from her asking for the visa to be issued (although this is not always required).

Thanks, I don't have a Thai account, could this money be in my wifes account?

Also, we rent a house together, would the lease agreement be sufficient? Or do we need to own the property?

I spoke to the UK offices in Hull and Birmingham and neither of them require any financials.

Thanks, Tom.

As said it is different here - single entry is not a problem but multi will require financials at most locations. The money would have to be yours (as it would be for an extension of stay in Thailand). The home register is the blue book your wife is listed on (all Thai must be listed) and is used to help prove relationship is current. You do not need to own property or prove a lease for visa.

Ah, ok.

Right we have the home register.

Sounds like Savannakhet is a good option (as I don't have a Thai account). Are there flights from BKK?

Cheers, Tom.

"I don't have a Thai account, could this money be in my wifes account?"

"The money would have to be yours (as it would be for an extension of stay in Thailand)."

The account needs to be in your name only.

So this could be a UK bank account?

Easier to open your own Thai account, less hassle then. KL weren't interested in anything but the 100k in a THAI account last November even thugh I had UK accounts with more.

I'm trying the Savannakhet route next year.

Awa ye gan Tam! All the info's here.

http://www.thaivisa....t-visa-run.html

Edited by CHANGOVER

I chose the KL Married visa. Only showed 100,000 Bt in a bank. All the usual paper work and letter from the wife, but I do not need to do the dreaded 90 day check in with immigration. 15 months of pure bliss. And I can come and go as I please

You still have to do a 90 day border run unless you have an extension and just report every 90 days.

You'll get the 15 months if you play it right but no-one can stay here longer than 90 days without a border run or reporting to immigration. Sorry :-(

Am ah reet or a maringue Lopburi3?

Edited by CHANGOVER

And if you happen to make a border run within 90 days you do not have to make the address report - and making, or having someone make, or mailing an address report every 90 days is not what most would "dread".

The 90 day reporting, may be a little inconvenient, but it's a far better opion than a border run.

If I get to immigration between 8.30-9.00am, I'm usually back out within the hour.

Even less inconvenient to me is when I send mrs jyy to do it for me.

Edited by jaiyenyen

The 90 day reporting, may be a little inconvenient, but it's a far better opion than a border run.

If I get to immigration between 8.30-9.00am, I'm usually back out within the hour.

Even less inconvenient to me is when I send mrs jyy to do it for me.

Post it, even simpler.

I was trying to stop Mr McCollum having to pay the overstay charge as he thinks he can stay here for 15 months without a border run or reporting (in the case of visa extension)

Edited by CHANGOVER

I am married to a Thai and I apply for 6 Non Imm O based on Marriage and I applied at the Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada. All i had to give them was 2 photos of me, a copy of our Thai marriage certificate (in Thai) that was registered at the amphur and also a copy of our marriage certificate from British Columbia (where we were actually married, translated into Thai) my wifes ID or passport and the proper funds. I dropped it off in the morning and pick it up the next morning. didn't have to so any sort of income.

I did mine in Kota Bharu, I needed to provide. My passport, my wife's id card and family book, copy of all our marriage papers and to prove I had more than 40,000 baht a month income (was no need for the 400,000 or whatever in the bank for 3 months), I also have a yellow house book so gave copies of that as well. The only problem I had was the letter the British Consulate provided in Jomtein was not sufficient due to a disclaimer at the bottom, however they took my Thai bank book as proof. The staff also said they would accept a letter from my employer or copies of previous wage slips as proof of income.

Normally an over night process for the visa application.

I am married to a Thai and I apply for 6 Non Imm O based on Marriage and I applied at the Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada. All i had to give them was 2 photos of me, a copy of our Thai marriage certificate (in Thai) that was registered at the amphur and also a copy of our marriage certificate from British Columbia (where we were actually married, translated into Thai) my wifes ID or passport and the proper funds. I dropped it off in the morning and pick it up the next morning. didn't have to so any sort of income.

yes home countries, have different rules to local asian countries, as been posted, most require some proof of income/money in bank.

I did mine in Kota Bharu, I needed to provide. My passport, my wife's id card and family book, copy of all our marriage papers and to prove I had more than 40,000 baht a month income (was no need for the 400,000 or whatever in the bank for 3 months), I also have a yellow house book so gave copies of that as well. The only problem I had was the letter the British Consulate provided in Jomtein was not sufficient due to a disclaimer at the bottom, however they took my Thai bank book as proof. The staff also said they would accept a letter from my employer or copies of previous wage slips as proof of income.

Normally an over night process for the visa application.

if you have the 40,000baht income, why not do a one year extension of stay at local immigration, and even with a multi entry re-entry permit, it is a lot cheaper than a border run for a non immigrant 'o'

Because the extention by marriage is an utter nightmare not based on any reality. Most married's go for some other type of visa.

As for the runner vs. fronting up. I suppose fronting up is "easier" and arguably less expensive but I always welcomed getting out of Thailand for a few days. Different scenery, change of food, duty free booze.

coffee1.gif Even with a marriage you need to understand that you may not be given a one year multi-entry visa. They may issue you a single entry non O visa good for 90 days. This will in theory give you 90 days to apply and qualify for a extension based on marriage to a Thai...which you obtain from your local immigration office in your area in Thailand. With that extension you are allowed to remain in Thailand based on marriage to a Thai...but you are subject to 90 day reporting to immigration. This extension is normally for one year, and remains valid as long as you are married and do your 90 day reporting as required.

There is a financial requirement for that extension. I believe,,,but I'm not an expert...that you will need:

1. A bank account in Thailand in your name for at least 400,000 Baht...... OR

2. A proof of income of at least 40,000 Baht monthly

Normally a statement of your income from your country's embessy is required for that proof.

But, what I wanted to make sure you understand, is that even KL...which has been one of the more "friendly" Thai consulates lately...may NOT want to issue you a one year multi-entry visa. Instead they may only issue you a 90 day single entry non O visa and tell you to apply for that marriage extension in Thailand.

So that possibility should be your "backup" plan.

Frankly, 1 year multi-entry visas are hard...not impossible but still difficult...to get these days.

licklips.gif

I wanted a non imm O visa multiple entry too, I got one out of country and only after did i realize how "weak" of a visa it actually is. it has actually caused a huge issue for me, as they cant easily convert that visa to a work permit visa. Anyway, long story short, make sure you dont want to work here (i was about 90% sure i wasn't going to work myself) before you get that visa, tourist visas are easier to convert to work permits. that very much surprised and annoyed me, but such is life.

Edited by meand

Is it possible to apply for work permits if you're on a Non-O (Thai Spouse)?

No. I'm dealing with this issue now. It seems crazy.... the "power" of a tourist visa superseding that of a non imm mutltiple entry O, but that is the way it is. The big "problem" is, immigration is potentially suspicious of people going out, and coming back into thailand attempting to get a a tourist visa (from a non imm o mult entry) because their question COULD be, why didn't/dont you simply just reenter. A valid question, so one if forced to "wait" the 1 year visa out. The "problem" for a falang standpoint is this non imm visa should really be able to be used to apply for work permits. Doesn't make sense, but I see the point too.... just different visas.

Edited by meand