Validity Passport Marriage Extension

Hi there,

End of May I intend to extend and same time change my Non-O-A (retirement based) into Marriage based extension.

Question is if validity of passport is an issue. I read some on Thaivisa that passport should be valid for 18 month. As I can heardly believe that, here's the reason for my question.

I went along immigration Chiang Mai and thought I'd ask this quicky at information desk.

Bummer, two teenagers at the desk knowing little and speak English little as well.

One of them went to a Sgt on the job and got pissed off by that same Sgt.

Answer to me??? Must show passport....the only simple question was how long my (a) passport should be valid when you want to extend your (marriage visa). Shshs, didn't have my passport with me.

Why can they not simply answer my simple question.

Some advice please.

Thanks

There is no mimimum validity. If your passports expires witin 1 year, they will give you an extension till the date the passport expires. Once you have a new passport you go back to immigration with your new passport and you will get the rest of the 1 year extension of stay for free. A simple process.

Your extension will be granted up to expiration date of your passport. There is no required 18 months validity as there would be for a one year visa from a Consulate. But remember your Passport is just about useless for any travel once below six-nine months validity.

I think it was a fair request for CM Immigration to look at your passport. You only have to hang out at this forum for a week or two in order to realize that most people have no clue what is in their passport. CM Immigration probably sees hundreds of confused people every day. Add to that the "Lost in Translation" factor of having a couple of interns working their info desk and it's no wonder the head hancho wanted to see the actual, real passport before answering what appeared to be a theoretical question.

Edit -- there are only two good reasons to switch from a retirement extension to a marriage extension: the desire to work and get a work permit or the lack of funds to support the financial requirements of a retirement visa. Otherwise, the retirement visa is the way to go. Less work for both you and the immigration officials.

Edited by NancyL