Myanmar Prepares To Vote With Suu Kyi Poised For Win

george

Myanmar prepares to vote with Suu Kyi poised for win

by Hla Hla Htay

Yangon, March 31, 2012 (AFP) - Myanmar was making final preparations Saturday for polls seen as a test of the military-dominated regime's reforms, in which opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is standing for the first time.

Many polling stations in the 45 constituencies spread across the country were already set up for the Sunday vote, which the Nobel laureate is contesting despite criticising it as not "genuinely free and fair".

Suu Kyi was set to make her way later Saturday to her rural constituency of Kawhmu, about two hours drive from Yangon.

The participation of "The Lady", as she is known, and her National League for Democracy (NLD) party has fuelled an explosion in the number of T-shirt vendors in the main commercial city of Yangon, with an every-increasing variety of styles, all of which would have been taboo just a year ago.

"We must win," states the latest design, a red shirt with Suu Kyi's face printed in black.

A carnival atmosphere pervaded in Mingalar Taung Nyunt township, one of six constituencies up for grabs in Yangon, on the last day of campaigning Friday.

Large flatbed trucks crammed with people, from young children to the elderly, travelled through the streets blaring music, including the popular campaign song about Suu Kyi "Our mom is back".

There was obvious glee at being able to display political allegiance freely.

Many supporters, wearing red NLD bandanas and T-shirts, had plastered their faces with stickers of the party logo -- a red background with a yellow fighting peacock and a white star.

"We have done a lot of preparation for April 1. We have polling station representatives and people to provide information, because we want to know what's going on. The result will match people's desires. The NLD must win," local NLD candidate Phyu Phyu Thin told AFP.

NLD supporters Saturday erected a giant LED screen outside the party headquarters in Yangon to broadcast the results as they come in.

In the city's Mayangone constituency, officials set out tables and labelled ballot boxes at a polling station in a high school.

"Authorities sent us a blueprint of how to prepare the polling station and we have laid it out exactly as they instructed," said school teacher Myint Ngwe, who was in charge of the preparations.

Suu Kyi on Friday renewed complaints of irregularities in the run up to the by-elections, including vandalism of party posters and "intimidation".

But the 66-year-old, who was under house arrest during elections in 1990 and 2010, said she did not regret standing for parliament because the polls had boosted people's interest in politics after decades of outright military rule ended last year.

The NLD won a landslide election victory in 1990 but the junta never allowed it to take office. The party also boycotted the 2010 polls that swept the army's political proxies to power and were marred by complaints of cheating and intimidation.

Experts believe the regime wants the pro-democracy leader to win a seat in parliament to burnish its reform credentials and encourage an end to Western sanctions.

The NLD is contesting 44 seats and estimates vary as to how many it could win.

Thiha Saw of local weekly news journal Open News said he expected the party to win a little over 50 percent of the available seats. But bookies have predicted 32 seats for the NLD from betting -- technically illegal in Myanmar -- on the results.

The number of seats at stake is not enough to threaten the military-backed ruling party's overwhelming majority in parliament but Suu Kyi described the vote as "a step towards step one in democracy".

Since taking office a year ago, President Thein Sein has carried out reforms including releasing hundreds of political prisoners, easing media restrictions and welcoming the opposition back into mainstream politics.

The government has for the first time invited teams of foreign observers and journalists to witness the elections.

A total of 160 candidates from 17 parties, including six new to the political stage, are contesting the polls

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-31

... "Many polling stations in the 45 constituencies spread across the country were already set up for the Sunday vote, which the Nobel laureate is contesting despite criticising it as not "genuinely free and fair"."

.... oh! ... so! ... free and fair elections? ... does little Miss Goody Goody Nobel Peace Prize Laureate thinks Burmese are better than Thais, or something? ... doesn't she understand that "we are a Buddhist country"?!

... (sorry, I am almost gagging with my own cynicism).

Edited by swillowbee

The irony being that the military based de facto rulers actually want 'The Lady' to be successful, simply to boost the country's new 'democratic' image. Of course in the overall scheme of things it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Edited by bigbamboo

The irony being that the military based de facto rulers actually want 'The Lady' to be successful, simply to boost the country's new 'democratic' image. Of course in the overall scheme of things it won't make a blind bit of difference.

But well she get massive financial help from USA. Which isn't democratic as well.

... "Many polling stations in the 45 constituencies spread across the country were already set up for the Sunday vote, which the Nobel laureate is contesting despite criticising it as not "genuinely free and fair"."

.... oh! ... so! ... free and fair elections? ... does little Miss Goody Goody Nobel Peace Prize Laureate thinks Burmese are better than Thais, or something? ... doesn't she understand that "we are a Buddhist country"?!

How the hell did you manage to bring in Buddhism AND " Burmese are better than Thais" ?

Did you read the same OP as me or are you just trying to introduce gratuitous comments.

Of course Burma is better than Thailand - it has invited foreign observers.

Go Aung San Suu Kyi

• Like 1

How the hell did you manage to bring in Buddhism AND " Burmese are better than Thais" ?

Did you read the same OP as me or are you just trying to introduce gratuitous comments.

Of course Burma is better than Thailand - it has invited foreign observers.

Go Aung San Suu Kyi

Foreign Observers eh? What was the democrat party take on this again?

BANGKOK, March 24 -- Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Thursday said he disagreed with the idea to seek international observers to monitor the upcoming general election, saying he deemed it "inappropriate."

The deputy premier was responding to a report that the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), also known as the Red Shirts, planned to invite election observers from international organisations.

Mr Suthep said he wonders why the UDD does not respect Thailand's national sovereignty but respects foreigners by inviting them to be involved in the country's internal affairs.

http://www.mcot.net/...age/185964.html

Edited by phiphidon

Myanmar opposition alleges ballot irregularities

YANGON, April 1, 2012 (AFP) - Myanmar's opposition complained Sunday that ballot sheets had been tampered with in landmark elections in which its leader Aung San Suu Kyi is standing for parliament for the first time.

National League for Democracy spokesman Nyan Win said there had been widespread complaints that wax had been put over the check box for Suu Kyi's party, which could be rubbed off later to cancel the vote.

"This is happening around the country. The election commission is responsible for what is occurring," he told AFP.

"I have sent a complaint letter to the union election commission. If it continues like this it can harm the prestige of the election."

The NLD is contesting 44 of the 45 seats at stake in Sunday's vote -- not enough to threaten the ruling party's majority, but a seat in parliament would give the opposition leader a chance to shape legislation for the first time.

A 2010 general election, won by the military's political proxies, was marred by widespread complaints of cheating and the exclusion of Suu Kyi, who was released from seven straight years of house arrest shortly afterwards.

In the run-up to this Sunday's by-elections, the NLD complained about campaign irregularities, including alleged intimidation of candidates.

Suu Kyi said on Friday that the vote could not be considered "a genuinely free and fair election" but stopped short of announcing a boycott.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-01

I think this is an extremely rude post against someone who has suffered so much for her country, its people and for human rights over the past 20 years.

... ianf ... sorry if you misunderstood my sarcasm ... (the Internet is a poor communicator of humor ... note my 'gagging with cynicism' post script) ... as you, I hold The Lady in the absolute highest of regard ... a truly remarkable person.

... Myanmar is beginning it's path toward democracy... by comparison, Thailand declared its constitutional democracy in 1932 ... after 80 years, Thai democracy remains interminably corrupt and incompetent ... stinking rotten, thoroughly.

... you cannot know, but I often write here that I view Thailand's rancid state of political decay as a reflection of Thai culture ... culture is substantially driven by cultural values ... cultural values are substantially driven by prevalent spiritual values ... thus, my sarcastic reference to Thailand's pride in being a nation of Buddhist spiritual values (which a devout Korean Buddhist friend claims have been hijacked and deformed for selfish interest, no differently than radical extremists have hijacked and deformed the Koran for selfish interest).

... Thailand's intractibly corrupt and incompetent politics will continue to reflect Thailand's cultural and spiritual values (representative democracy really does work) until it is led by someone with the moral and ethical mandate of a Mahatma Ghandi, or Nelson Mandela, or Aung San Suu Kyi ... no such person exists in Thailand.

... Aung San Suu Kyi is exactly what Thailand needs.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

... all the world hopes this is the birth of the world's next democracy ... it is exciting to watch.

... my fear is that it is deformed by a military that has left behind embeds throughout its institutions and quietly remains in control ... or, with a not so quiet right of veto (coup d'etat) if it becomes necessary to 'protect the nation' ... that political parties learn to buy the military's endorsement, and is then allowed by the military to rule ... not realy democracy.

... gosh, that sounds awwwwfully familiar.

... let's hope Myanmar's generals have not gone to school on Thailand's generals.

Edited by swillowbee

The sad thing is that the generals and those in control in Burma, are as self-interested as the clans that control Thailand. 'Democracy' is only a word used in order to wedge open the door so that foreign investment (benefitting the rich) can start to flow into the country. Karen and Kachin are still being attacked. The country's natural resources are still being pillaged. And this so-called 'democracy' is limited within a constitution that the Generals forced upon the country leaving ultimate power with the military. Anyway that won't stop the world's vultures descending on Burma in order to grab their slice of the cake. In the process a few people may benefit - better job opportunities would be welcomed in a country where job opportunity was limited to the ruling clique. But the poor will stay poor. The shanty towns will remain, or be forcibly moved if the land they occupy is of economic value to the vultures. Yes, I am cynical and I am sure that Daw Suu Kyi knows all this. But look at how 'democracy' in Thailand has been distorted to benefit the few. And Thailand has a better communication system and is altogether more 'sophisticated' than Burma, but still true democracy doesn't exist here. In my thinking the mere act of holding elections does not mean that a democracy has been created.

Edited by ianf