Running A Bar On Samui

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Bangrak, I'd say definitely not, unless the rent is very very cheap, i.e. free.

Do a bit of simple market research - drive along the length of Bangrak, count how many bars there are, and also count how many customers you see.

After you have done that. then ask yourself the question "is it a good idea to open a bar in Bangrak?". I think the answer will be pretty obvious.

Suitable post for today I would say.

Lots of bars in that area so it must be a license to print money. A veritable goldmine of riches awaiting.

Tell your friend to get his TGF do all the work..he can sit back and drink some beers as he watches the cash roll in.

A beautiful tropical paradise and a money making machine to boot!

cowboy.gif yeeha!!!!!!!!!!

Ask yourself why is that bar for sale in the first place.

Spot on... selling businesses to unsuspecting foreigners seems to be quite a major industry over here... does your friend know anyone with less sense and more money than him? (and ideally a TGF with entrepreneurial ambitions)... if so, maybe he can make some cash with a quick flip

Well I would say hang around a few bar areas and see how much business they are doing.... for more than one evening too.... are they full ??? or is there one or two sad souls propping up the bar babbling away to them selves ? Do this during high season and low season.... the slow season is much longer than high season! rolleyes.gif Overheads much the same.....wacko.pngshock1.gif

If your friend can figure out the new demographics of tourists....For example: lots more Russians, perhaps free Vodka? .... Does that work for the restaurant near Tesco Chawang? probably not! ?

Chinese (usually on package tours) I am not sure how one gets them out of their safe haven of their resort! Older married couples usually not in to "bar scene" .... seems to be a lot of older couples from what I see whilst on ferries.... French, German, and a number of Polish lately.... the list could go on... it's not same same as it used to be....ermm.gif

Take a drive and look see, should include various parts of the island...and different times of day and night unsure.png

There is a store in Maenam, that does a good beer selling business, he has several tables for sitting out side and probably 30 baht beer, generally always busier than any of the bars on the strip.....near by.... whistling.gif

I don't think that would be different in Banrak or many other areas....???

Think and research carefully! thumbsup.gif

..... or is there one or two sad souls propping up the bar babbling away to them selves ?

I do not babble. And I am not sad.angry.png

sorry.gifwhistling.gif .... did I mention your name???? biggrin.png keep up the good work of propping .... termites might be chewing the bar! dry.png

Actually, if you walk into just about any girlie bar and ask if the place is for sale, the owner will probably yank your arm out of its socket pulling you in for the sales pitch.

Most if not all of the small, loud, tacky girlie bars are "dead man walking" sorts of concerns -- hand to mouth existence, easy to shuffle off into oblivion at any time. I mean the whole idea of "a friend of mine has been offered to buy a bar," should not be a prime motivator; you can buy a whole selection of bars from around the island by just walking in and asking.

Having said that, running a bar is okay if you don't mind making just enough money to keep you in Thailand living simply, unhealthy working hours, ear-drum damagingly loud and crappy music, drunks (staff and customers), unreliable and untrustworthy workers (so you have to mind the shop yourself or toss your faith to someone who you probably ought not to trust) and...well, you get the idea....oh, and then after you've had enough, you have to hope some other sucker, er, investor, comes along (at high season) to start the cycle all over again.

and then after you've had enough, you have to hope some other sucker, er, investor, comes along (at high season) to start the cycle all over again.

At high season?? Aren't you meant to sell at the beginning of low season, so you have all of high season's takings on the books?

The only people who make money from girlie bars are those who have enough connections to guarantee a steady supply of good looking girls. That's the only thing that differentiates the hundreds of otherwise identical bars. Past trade means absolutely nothing since you aren't buying the staff when you buy a bar, and the staff are what brings in the punters.

I am an experienced business man that has been all over the world and I would like very much to help.

After seeing many business dealings on Samui, and especially the Bangrak strip, I honestly believe we could work together for a successful business partnership with my tried and true plan.

The plan would return around USD $1million (maybe a little under) of the initial investment after twelve months, it will be long hours of hard work and quite frustrating at times but my business plan has worked very similar in the past and will work perfectly in Bangrak. After 12 months it would be time to sell while the going was good. I will give some small details but obviously I am not willing to discuss everything here.

Step 1- Start with USD $2 million

Step 2- Open up bar

Step 3- Work like a b@%t@rd for one year

Step 4- Sell bar

Step 5- Count money, hopefully there should be a bit less than a million left.

Hope I can help!

Edited by 2020
  • Like 1

I am an experienced business man that has been all over the world and I would like very much to help.

After seeing many business dealings on Samui, and especially the Bangrak strip, I honestly believe we could work together for a successful business partnership with my tried and true plan.

The plan would return around USD $1million (maybe a little under) of the initial investment after twelve months, it will be long hours of hard work and quite frustrating at times but my business plan has worked very similar in the past and will work perfectly in Bangrak. After 12 months it would be time to sell while the going was good. I will give some small details here but obviously I am not willing to discuss everything here.

Step 2- Open up bar

Step 3- Work for one year

Step 4- Sell bar

Hope I can help!

Sounds a bit bullish... I assume that is your equity case

The plan would return around USD $1million (maybe a little under) of the initial investment after twelve months, it will be long hours of hard work and quite frustrating at times but my business plan has worked very similar in the past and will work perfectly in Bangrak. After 12 months it would be time to sell while the going was good. I will give some small details here but obviously I am not willing to discuss everything here.

Step 2- Open up bar

Step 4- Sell bar

Hope I can help!

I'm in barring one proviso...

Step 3- Sit around on my arse for a year smoking fags and drinking Chang.

Ok with you?

• Like 1

Step 2- Open up bar

Step 4- Sell bar

Hope I can help!

I'm in barring one proviso...

Step 3- Sit around on my arse for a year smoking fags and drinking Chang.

Ok with you?

Phttttt!!!! Wha!???!!! blink.png

My equity???!!!!!! Good god man, do you think I'm mad! No no no, this one is geared for those who don't really understand bars, have some cash and want to invest in a great lifestyle, just like the OP!

This is undoubtedly the only way to make money in Bangrak! And yes, the figures are bit bullish. They're based upon no-one finding out how much money we have for a few months.

And sitting around drinking Chang is a splendid idea! We will just hire a local manager, that should help us hit our financial targets a bit quicker!

cheesy.gif

PS the plan as outlined here are based upon what I believe is tongue-in-cheek by the OP. It in no way reflects some very good, hard working and legitimate business people in the area who I have enjoyed the company of when I have been in the area over the years. I truly appreciate these peoples establishments for the cold beers and chat, and genuinely wish them every success.