Running A Bar On Samui

I am an experienced business man that has been all over the world and I would like very much to help.

After seeing many business dealings on Samui, and especially the Bangrak strip, I honestly believe we could work together for a successful business partnership with my tried and true plan.

The plan would return around USD $1million (maybe a little under) of the initial investment after twelve months, it will be long hours of hard work and quite frustrating at times but my business plan has worked very similar in the past and will work perfectly in Bangrak. After 12 months it would be time to sell while the going was good. I will give some small details here but obviously I am not willing to discuss everything here.

Step 1- Start with USD $2 million

Step 2- Open up bar

Step 3- Work for one year

Step 4- Sell bar

Step 5- Count money, hopefully there should be a bit less than a million left.

Hope I can help!

Sounds a bit bullish... I assume that is your equity case

I'm in barring one proviso...

Step 3- Sit around on my arse for a year smoking fags and drinking Chang.

Ok with you?

Phttttt!!!! Wha!???!!! blink.png

My equity???!!!!!! Good god man, do you think I'm mad! No no no, this one is geared for those who don't really understand bars, have some cash and want to invest in a great lifestyle, just like the OP!

This is undoubtedly the only way to make money in Bangrak! And yes, the figures are bit bullish. They're based upon no-one finding out how much money we have for a few months.

And sitting around drinking Chang is a splendid idea! We will just hire a local manager, that should help us hit our financial targets a bit quicker!

cheesy.gif

PS the plan as outlined here are based upon what I believe is tongue-in-cheek by the OP. It in no way reflects some very good, hard working and legitimate business people in the area who I have enjoyed the company of when I have been in the area over the years. I truly appreciate these peoples establishments for the cold beers and chat, and genuinely wish them every success.

Have you considered applying for government funding?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an experienced business man that has been all over the world and I would like very much to help.

After seeing many business dealings on Samui, and especially the Bangrak strip, I honestly believe we could work together for a successful business partnership with my tried and true plan.

The plan would return around USD $1million (maybe a little under) of the initial investment after twelve months, it will be long hours of hard work and quite frustrating at times but my business plan has worked very similar in the past and will work perfectly in Bangrak. After 12 months it would be time to sell while the going was good. I will give some small details here but obviously I am not willing to discuss everything here.

Step 1- Start with USD $2 million

Step 2- Open up bar

Step 3- Work for one year

Step 4- Sell bar

Step 5- Count money, hopefully there should be a bit less than a million left.

Hope I can help!

Sounds a bit bullish... I assume that is your equity case

I'm in barring one proviso...

Step 3- Sit around on my arse for a year smoking fags and drinking Chang.

Ok with you?

Phttttt!!!! Wha!???!!! blink.png

My equity???!!!!!! Good god man, do you think I'm mad! No no no, this one is geared for those who don't really understand bars, have some cash and want to invest in a great lifestyle, just like the OP!

This is undoubtedly the only way to make money in Bangrak! And yes, the figures are bit bullish. They're based upon no-one finding out how much money we have for a few months.

And sitting around drinking Chang is a splendid idea! We will just hire a local manager, that should help us hit our financial targets a bit quicker!

cheesy.gif

PS the plan as outlined here are based upon what I believe is tongue-in-cheek by the OP. It in no way reflects some very good, hard working and legitimate business people in the area who I have enjoyed the company of when I have been in the area over the years. I truly appreciate these peoples establishments for the cold beers and chat, and genuinely wish them every success.

Some do...some don't....that's all I'm sayin'......and I like my beer cold as well! licklips.gif

OP never responds. Most posts are trolls .If he is such an expert on Samui & it's downfalls, why bother asking such a question? Perhaps the date had something to do with it.

Posted 2012-04-01 01:40:19

A friend of yours has been offered to buy a bar? Well if a bar is for sale, isn't it on offer to anyone who wants to buy it? How can someone be offered to buy something? I guess im offered to buy something everytime i go into 711 right???

I think this topic as like many others, its backfiring OP.

post-141789-0-96861700-1333437206_thumb.

If your friend does accept the offer to buy the bar which is being offered, maybe he could call it Troll barcoffee1.gif

Edited by Paangjang

OP never responds. Most posts are trolls .If he is such an expert on Samui & it's downfalls, why bother asking such a question? Perhaps the date had something to do with it.

Posted 2012-04-01 01:40:19

Sure the date had something to do with it, just like the Bangkok Airways price reductions post.

Personally I thought both were amusing and harmless posts and find it hard to believe people are continuing to take them seriously. huh.pnghuh.pnghuh.png

There are definitely a couple of bars for sale in Bangrak right now.

Also noticed a 2 or 3 being completely demolished.

There are only 2 or 3 bars/pubs that ever seem to be busy in Bangrak, they are good little bars and well supported by local expats, that is what keeps them going. The rest always seem to be empty or being propped up by a couple of loyal mates.

I think Bangrak is going to get some sort of facelift, revamp, it's a good spot, but the best bar to buy right now in Bangrak is a Snickers....and maybe chew on it for year and see

• Like 1

A friend of yours has been offered to buy a bar? Well if a bar is for sale, isn't it on offer to anyone who wants to buy it? How can someone be offered to buy something? I guess im offered to buy something everytime i go into 711 right???

I think this topic as like many others, its backfiring OP.

post-141789-0-96861700-1333437206_thumb.

If your friend does accept the offer to buy the bar which is being offered, maybe he could call it Troll barcoffee1.gif

A very qualified response indeed.

some places do ok , the people that run the cliff and Piri Chicken, then Bondi Chaweng followed by Bondi Lamai , and now the new Flow Bar/mini club in soi green mango are doing well, but then they have ideas/venues that are different to everywhere else and make good money to the owners, but offer something to the clients who are willing to part with thier cash

also a few other venues that MAKE money on samui, and where started up by westerners

- Samui Shamrock - Lamai

- Tropical Murpheys - Chaweng

- Inlander - Chaweng

- Ark Bar - chaweng

- The Shack - Fishermans

the might be more, but considering how many western biz there are here, ( F and B ) , these are really the only ones that come to mind

I am not so optimistic of the future of Bondi Lamai. The prices are quite high and I have not heard good reviews. I think they will continue to get walk-in tourists who judge a place by it's look (it does look professional), but I doubt they will create a repeat customer market.

I disagree. The location is probably one of the best in Lamai, and being where they are they get a lot of customers coming over from the boxing ring and food hall. And that bar on the street front/corner is a masterstroke - there are always people sting there watching the passing parade. Yes, the prices are high, but even when Lamai is dead, they seem to have people eating and drinking.

Sure, most of the food there is good, but not great, but, as I wrote here yesterday, I love the ribs there - in fact I was wheeled in there last night for a serving licklips.gif - and they alone are enough to keep us going back. Not to mention they serve Magners, and have a great pool table with good cues. And always good service.

It could be better, but in my opinion, it'll be around for a while.

some places do ok , the people that run the cliff and Piri Chicken, then Bondi Chaweng followed by Bondi Lamai , and now the new Flow Bar/mini club in soi green mango are doing well, but then they have ideas/venues that are different to everywhere else and make good money to the owners, but offer something to the clients who are willing to part with thier cash

Flow was only rebuilt in December and is for sale already.

Bondi is aimed squarely at two week tourists and the prices and food quality reflect that.

I've always found the quality of the food there to be as good as, if not better than most places I've eaten - it's the delivery that often lets them down in my opinion; but that hasn't stopped me becoming quite a regular there over the past seven months.

Bars in Bangrak are not competing in the same way. Most customers there are expats or passing through to KPG.

Most bars in Samui aren't competing in the same way.

I had a decent meal in Bondi Lamai and will go back again. It is as said above aimed purely for 2 week tourists and not the mainly cash poor expats of Lamai.

Why the dig at the mainly cash poor expats of Lamai?

?

I had a decent meal in Bondi Lamai and will go back again. It is as said above aimed purely for 2 week tourists and not the mainly cash poor expats of Lamai.

Why the dig at the mainly cash poor expats of Lamai?

Thought you could slip that by, did you?

For those who know the value of a baht, spending money on food and atmosphere at 50 to 100% of the price of other, less hotsie totsie places, has nothing to do with the size of your wallet. It has everything to do with the size of your brain.

Having a bar on the roadside, as there used to be only on the other side of the adjacent MacDonalds, is hardly a stroke of genius, but then here that might actually qualify.

I have a feeling that the rent on that property would probably take your breath away. Figure that into the prices and the number of customers.

• Like 1

The Outback in Lamai makes a lot of money too. The location is so good it doesn't seem to matter how many customers Alf Stewart Bart tells to XXXXXX off. And unlike Bondi, the prices are reasonable and it is owned by an actual Australian.

Edited by Rooo
Profanity removed.

And unlike Bondi, the prices are reasonable and it is owned by an actual Australian.

Is he now? LMAO. There is a place further down called The Land of The Long White Cloud.Where the men are men & the sheep are nervous.

I owned and sold a bar in on Soi Green Mango a few years ago. Thinking back it reminds me of my two ex-wives and two boats that I bought and sold. The day that I got married, I was happy, the day that I got divorced I was extremely happy, but out a lot of money. The day that I bought the boats, I was happy, the day that I sold them I was extremely happy, but out a lot of money. The day that I bought the bar in Samui I was happy, the day that I found a sucker to buy it, I was unbelieveablly happy, but again out a lot of money.

To me they were all the same, just a big hole to throw money into without any return on investment. Would I do it all over again, probably! After all, hind sight is 20/20.

Good luck, whatever your decision is!

• Like 1