Household Goods

tonika

I'm retiring and moving to Udon Thani, where my wife and I are having a house built. I should be there in July, all being well. Should I go to the expense of sending my household goods, such as, TV, Fridge/freezer, microwave, laptop etc from the UK ?. Or, is it cheaper to buy new items when I get to Thailand ?. It would be handy to know the approximate cost of such items, especially quality manufacturers prices, such as Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubushi, Hatachi, etc. If anyone can give me any info on this subject I'd appreciate it.

First question I have to ask is what's the power in the UK, because everything in Thailand is 220V and 50 cycle so if you're using 110V and 60 cycle like the US you'll need to buy in Thailand or get expensive transformer to run things with motors.

Brand names are comparable both price-wise and quality-wise, and you will probably be taxed by Customs for bringing your things in. Things like laptops will work on either 220 or 110.

Lots of info on this forum if you search various places. Look around.

Hope this helps

mario299

Assuming your wife it thai, she can import everything tax free. Caveat, used household goods, only one of any electrical item. e.g 2 tvs and they will tax one.

Your dilemma is really how much do you want to bring. Once you start to bring a few things the costs and complexity rack up. In my mind it is an all or nothing call.So your choices are have a big house sale and come only with suitcases, or bring everything.

Assuming your house is going to fill a container and international mover will probably be in the 3 to 4k area door to door. If you pack and organize your own container you could probably halve that cost.

When you look at packing and shipping, particularly your time and effort, coming with suitcases is an attractive option.

If you come with nothing you have the proceeds of your supersale plus the nominal cost of shipping to buy new stuff. New stuff that may be more suitable for your new house than what you have in the UK.