7% Vat Refund And Come Back In Later?

• 2 months later...

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/who.html#link01

According to the above website of The Revenue Department, the requirement is that the claimant is NOT a Thai National. Nothing about the types of visas or residency.

My friend who has a retirement visa, printed the above and the Thai version but as it turned out he did not need it as they gave him the VAT refund, no questions asked!!! He had bought a notebook and was worried about whether he qualified for a VAT refund as he is resident in Thailand with a retirement visa. The reason he armed himself with the printout was because he had heard some other retirees getting grief from officials (maybe he read this thread!), but perhaps he was just lucky to get away with it.

Does anyone know what the law actually says? I suspect the above printout is accurate (i.e. it only specifies Thai nationality as a non qualifying criteria, not residency or visa type) but would be happy for any confirmation or otherwise.

Plus, I wonder what the OP (or anyone else) has any updates?

You do not qualify for a VAT-refund if you stay more then 180 days in Thailand:

The custom website is a bit more clear.

Travelers is qualified for a VAT refund if you meet the following conditions:

• You are a non-Thai resident and not staying in Thailand up to 180 days in a current tax year;
  • You are not a pilot or a cabin crews of any airline departing Thailand on duty;
  • You purchases goods from stores displaying a "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign;
  • VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of Thailand with the traveler within 60 days from the date of purchase; and
  • You leave Thailand via an international airport.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/tourist+refund+scheme/touristrefundscheme

Thanks for that Mario...my friend went out in Feb12, prior to that he was definitely in Thailand for more than 180days, unless it is per calendar year and not from last entry stamp?

Besides, whose website can you rely on, both the websites we posted are "government" sites!

I think the important word that is mentioned in several places and is in the tile of the Revenue department webpage is tourist.

A person on an extension of stay is not a tourist.

Edited by ubonjoe