Where To Find A Decent Flat White Coffee In Cm?

jbstrong

I have managed to find just one place (Neo Cafe on Huay Kaew Road) that serves flat whites. It was ok, but nothing compared to the ones I've had in Oz, NZ or back home in London. Does anyone know anywhere that the barista can churn them out really well?

Wawee Coffee on the corner of Ratchadamnoen & Ratpakinai Rds in the old city at least knows what they are! I wouldn't say they're great, but I'm lactose intolerant, and they're one of the very few places that have soy milk, so they got my repeat custom when I was there.

I must admit that I had to google what a 'flat white' is, as I'm not a coffee buff.

However, I notice that in 2009 they started serving them in Starbucks, London, so I would imagine they might be in Buckie's here....have you tried them? http://www.telegraph...lky-coffee.html

Same here. I've never heard of a flat white coffee before this. Learn something every day.

There's a coffee shop on Nimmanhaemin run by an award winning barista. Sorry can't remember name but on left side as you come from Huay Kaew Rd., relatively close to the Huay Kaew intersection . Some one on here probably remembers name.

I must admit that I had to google what a 'flat white' is, as I'm not a coffee buff.

However, I notice that in 2009 they started serving them in Starbucks, London, so I would imagine they might be in Buckie's here....have you tried them? http://www.telegraph...lky-coffee.html

Same here. I've never heard of a flat white coffee before this. Learn something every day.

Flat whites have been around in Oz for at least 15 years when I left the country. Offered with full cream milk or a "skinny" flat (low fat milk). Never seen on the menu boards here so I never ask would just add to the confusion.

Flat whites have been around in Oz for at least 15 years when I left the country. Offered with full cream milk or a "skinny" flat (low fat milk). Never seen on the menu boards here so I never ask would just add to the confusion.

Back in Oz, if we encountered some backwater that hadn't heard of the flat white, we could just ask for a latte without the froth; can't do that here, though, with that layered abomination that they serve up as a latte!

Edited by jamesbrock

If you find a coffee shop you like then just ask for an americano hot, with milk. I believe its the same thing. "Americano ron, sai nom kup".

They usually then then say "sai nom ron" to which I reply cold please "nom yen kup". Usually it served with hot milk by default which is ok by me as well.

And quite often they forget the milk (and quite often I forget to ask!). When they bring it to you, just ask again politely and they will ask the same questions again!

As no doubt you have noticed, there are many many many coffee houses to choose from. I personally prefer the smaller independently owned ones, either Thai or western owned, but the quality can be a bit hit and miss. I'm always on the lookout for a newly discovered shop while sightseeing, though it probably has its own topic somewhere else on TV.

Happy coffee hunting....

A Starbucks flat white will cost £2.25, compared with £1.99 for a tall latte, or £2.35 for a grande (medium) latte.

That's not too bad I would say............130 Baht for a cup of coffee

LOL - just realised that I make a flat white every morning at home stemming from a laziness to wash from my cup residue froth from cappuccino prior to making my second.

Try picking one shop where you like the coffee used and after a bit educate them. I did this with my Hong Kong developed hankering for iced milk tea, where I showed them how to do it, with limited Thai and lots of patience, and lots of encouragement when they got it spot on.

Back in Oz, if we encountered some backwater that hadn't heard of the flat white, we could just ask for a latte without the froth; can't do that here, though, with that layered abomination that they serve up as a latte!

And a "backwater" would be someone well-versed in the English language?

Oz,,,,,,,,Great Whites,,,,,,,Great Fat Whites.,,,,,,Flat Whites,,,,,,,Great Flat Whites?....it's all very confusing.wink.png

Oz,,,,,,,,Great Whites,,,,,,,Great Fat Whites.,,,,,,Flat Whites,,,,,,,Great Flat Whites?....it's all very confusing.wink.png

Yes. I've been watching this with interest, especially because there is so much variation between coffee drinks with the same name. Looking it up on Wikipedia, it actually seems different from what the OP intends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

It still makes for a semi interesting post though, to see the responses. I might do another one, one of these days, taking an exotic food or drink and then selecting (or making up) a very particular style of it and complaining there's just no place in Chiang Mai that does it properly. Should be some mileage in it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ummm... A backwater is a place not a person...

Backwater: backcountry, backwoods, boondocks, boonies, bush, hinterland, outback, outskirts, sticks, middle of nowhere, 50km up the backside of nowhere...

Ummm... A backwater is a place not a person...

Backwater: backcountry, backwoods, boondocks, boonies, bush, hinterland, outback, outskirts, sticks, middle of nowhere, 50km up the backside of nowhere...

Iz funny, because Mesquite, Nevada is also backwater. :thumbsup:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite,_Nevada

Yes. I've been watching this with interest, especially because there is so much variation between coffee drinks with the same name. Looking it up on Wikipedia, it actually seems different from what the OP intends.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Flat_white

Unless you've been PM-ing him, how could you possible know what the OP intends?

If you're referring to my post about what I tell folks who haven't heard of the drink, you will see in the wiki article on the Latte that it's a fairly good simile: "An Australian/New Zealand variant similar to the latte is the flat white, which is served in a smaller ceramic cup with the creamy steamed milk poured over a single-shot of espresso, holding back the lighter froth at the top."

It still makes for a semi interesting post though, to see the responses. I might do another one, one of these days, taking an exotic food or drink and then selecting (or making up) a very particular style of it and complaining there's just no place in Chiang Mai that does it properly. Should be some mileage in it.

Probably about as much mileage as you Americans get discussing your typically American deli food...

Edited by jamesbrock

Speaking of that, what happened to Mighty Mo's?

That's one of the threads I was thinking of - read through the whole thread salivating at the descriptions only to reach the sixth page and see they closed! mfr_closed1.gif

Probably about as much mileage as you Americans get discussing your typically American deli food...

Well you mentioned American food, but you have to agree it's really quite preposterous, the lack of knowledge about basic foods and how they are prepared. I often order a Waldorf salad, a rare steak and a Screwdriver to wash it all down, but more often than not I get nothing of the sort.

And Chiang Mai wants to be a major international destination!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I often order a Waldorf salad

Well there goes an hour of my day...

35 minutes to find the portable disk with Fawlty Towers on it, and 25 minutes to watch that episode...

• Like 1

Agree totally. I'm from Melbourne, which is arguably the coffee and culinary capital of Australia; and while I only occasionally hanker farang food - I very rarely find anything like that which I am accustomed. Indeed, not even the Aussie bars in Samui, where I'm currently living, can live up to the memories. I'm sure you feel the same way when you get a craving for some home comforts...

That being said, it is the coffee I miss the most, and that 'oh my god' hit you get from a great one. I have never gotten that here. Not saying it isn't out there, but as I mentioned in post #3, I'm lactose intolerant, so that precludes me from trying 99% of places here in Thailand...